Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

How bad is Suzaku (and EX) for a BLM? I haven't had a chance to unlock it yet, but when I asked my friends they just started screaming at me and I'm not sure when they'll stop.

There is a whole lot of running around in ex. There are places you can optimize for minimal movement but the timing can be real tight and won't necessarily match up with your cast bars. Failing to move once won't necessarily one shot you but it will definitely interrupt your cast.

So yeah eternal screaming into the void sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Dancer is a gatherer that makes coins through busking, Gunblade is a crafter that just attaches guns to other classes weapons so you can have like a gunstaff for blm or a gun..gun for mch.

And Blue is something that will be implemented in a way that will make exactly 0 people happy and that's loving hilarious and I can't wait.

That last line to be clear is in no way a joke.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
BLU will get White Wind and Mighty Guard, therefore obsoleting every other class. World first Mog Savage will be 8 BLU.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

If BLU doesn't get some form of Self-Destruct I will riot. I must troll the healers. I MUST!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dancer should be the first job to be locked to a specific race and gender: Male Roe only.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When BLU uses Goblin Punch they should just sheathe their weapon and throw the lamest looking jab before drawing their weapon again.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
So after this MSQ I'm hooked again and figure I'd level a tank to cap finally and stop being a baby scared of tanking.

DRK - based on many people and saint freak's gifs in recent pages - is awesome and my prime choice over PLD for now. Is POTD and LDR the best way to level from 30 still?

Y'shtola is still #1.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Each Blu class quest needs to be you getting owned by a different monster.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

So after this MSQ I'm hooked again and figure I'd level a tank to cap finally and stop being a baby scared of tanking.

DRK - based on many people and saint freak's gifs in recent pages - is awesome and my prime choice over PLD for now. Is POTD and LDR the best way to level from 30 still?

Y'shtola is still #1.

POTD makes me want to die and I had a much better time levelling tanks doing dungeon spam. Especially once I got into 51+ dungeons.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

You don’t need that poo poo, you’re a tank. Insta q leveling roulette, insta q the highest dungeon you have available, insta q guildleves.

I mean i guess you could grind palace but why would you want to?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Not really, at least for tanks. Spam your highest level dungeon and do your roulettes and you'll outpace PotD in the majority of cases. The only point where it starts to slow down is the 57-60 stretch, but you can overcome that with a few days of roulettes (including MSQ) if you don't want to pound your brain to paste doing The Vault 10 times. If you've unlocked adventurer squadrons and have them to 40+, get them to bring you back Squadron Battle Manuals, as it's a significant increase to your EXP per run.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

Assuming the leaks are true (and we have no real reason to believe otherwise), BLU is DPS, Gunblade Class is a tank, and DNC is a healer.

Yeah, once I heard that Blue Mage would be DPS, that's roughly what I assumed.

I suppose that makes a certain amount of sense for some thematic variety, though. If Blue Mage was a tank and Gunblade a DPS, we'd have two tech-themed DPS and yet another overtly magic-using tank like Paladin and Dark Knight. With Blue Mage as DPS (apparently "support DPS," so I'm assuming intended to compete with Ninja?) we get our first truly melee "mage" DPS, and with Gunblade as a tank we get a tech-themed tank, so I suppose that's cool.

Dancer as a healer sounds good, too, because it's a pretty big departure from all three of the current healers in aesthetics and theming. Not quite the departure I'd personally be most excited about--that'd be Chemist--but still cool.

Kaubocks posted:

yea pretty much same here. i run 1-6, QERF, and M3/M5 with shift and ctrl variants. ctrl is where my brain starts to fart out and i often forget what's even bound down there, so much so that i made a little bar of clickable buttons near my center screen for "abilities i use rarely enough that my brain can't remember what they're bound to but when i need them i need them NOW" like holmgang

Maybe I should include 6 in my numeric keybinds. For some reason that feels like more of a stretch to me than I usually want to do, but it'd give me two more reasonably-accessible keybinds to use in a pinch and that's pretty good.

Oh yeah and I also use side mouse buttons. On Red Mage that's where I put Corps-a-Corps and Displacement. I think I generally like to have movement abilities there for some reason.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

If you've unlocked adventurer squadrons and have them to 40+, get them to bring you back Squadron Battle Manuals, as it's a significant increase to your EXP per run.

hey i was thinking of asking about this and now is the perfect time

in the grand scheme of things i'm still relatively new to ffxiv, though i have one job at cap and another nearing it plus a few others along the 40-60 spectrum. i switch between ffxiv and wow a lot, and when i unlocked squadrons it was so convoluted compared to mission tables in wow that i just didn't give it the time of day at all. now whenever i try to take a look at squadrons my eyes just glaze over, some numbers go up, some go down, and i just leave frustrated.

is there a simple guide anywhere to explain to me like i'm an idiot how squadrons work?

squads are part of a squadron/hunt/retainer trifecta of things i've just never bothered to interact with and have no idea if they're important. i'll ask about the others later though lol

Harrow posted:

Maybe I should include 6 in my numeric keybinds. For some reason that feels like more of a stretch to me than I usually want to do, but it'd give me two more reasonably-accessible keybinds to use in a pinch and that's pretty good.

Oh yeah and I also use side mouse buttons. On Red Mage that's where I put Corps-a-Corps and Displacement. I think I generally like to have movement abilities there for some reason.

yeah 6 ain't... comfy, but the overall speed of the game is slow enough that it's not a huge deal for me to find it. it helps that the only stuff i put there are parts of a combo that came before it.

so like for WAR my butcher's block combo is 1-3, then maim is on 4 and storm's path/eye are 5-6. stuff like this just means the only times i'm really gonna press 6 is when my fingers were already over there to begin with

i don't have anything bound to shift/ctrl 6 on any class yet though...

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Squadron is just another thing to spend time levelling honestly. They don't do a whole lot to help you in the game. Unless you're like me and got 4 of them with scrips chemistry and spammed them on easy missions. Made completely redundant by custom deliveries but was super good at the time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You at least want to get them to 47 or whatever since they are far far far and away the fastest way to level up combat jobs to 50.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hobbesmaster posted:

Dancer should be the first job to be locked to a specific race and gender: Male Roe only.

Unironically agree

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really hope they do race specific dances like ffxi had so the roe dance can just be them stomping a lot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

They can only equip subligars and as the item level gets higher they just get more and more sequins

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
CHM healer is my #1 most wanted job, but I know in my heart that that's just a pipe dream. DNC was high on the list too, so I'm not too bothered. Interested in seeing how it works, too. Momentum based healer that builds gauge to use bard song-style dances, maybe?

The one thing I have some trepidation about is that BLU/DNC/Gunblades screams "Garlemald/Thavnair split expansion", and I'd rather them focus on each of those individually.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Backing up to BRD chat for a moment, I agree that its current iteration is by far the best and I hope they stick with it for 5.0. My personal complaint is that Army's phase should be something different. I think BRD could really use a "break" in its rotation somewhere because its pretty darn hectic when your procs are really rolling in, so a chill out phase would be cool. Maybe make the effect to just reduce the CD on Emp Arrow but double what the current SkS buff does, spam that out instead of mashing Heavy Shot real fast because its trivial to get max stacks in that phase. Or just a simple Damage% buff that's not really huge so it doesn't become the new opener song.

tl;dr heck yeah BRD is good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saint Freak posted:

You at least want to get them to 47 or whatever since they are far far far and away the fastest way to level up combat jobs to 50.

And after that is when the POTD hell begins

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hi!

Given WoW is currently pooping the proverbial bed, I figured I'd come back to FF14 for a bit.

I had purchased a boost potion thing so I was at the beginning of the... Heavensword? content? I was in the mountains :shrug:

Is there a quick and dirty primer on the story to refresh my memory, so I know who all these angsty children npcs are?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Annath posted:

Hi!

Given WoW is currently pooping the proverbial bed, I figured I'd come back to FF14 for a bit.

I had purchased a boost potion thing so I was at the beginning of the... Heavensword? content? I was in the mountains :shrug:

Is there a quick and dirty primer on the story to refresh my memory, so I know who all these angsty children npcs are?

Alphinaud is a good boy

Estinien is cool

Haurchefant is also a good boy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

is there a simple guide anywhere to explain to me like i'm an idiot how squadrons work?

All of the squad members have three attributes - Physical, Mental, and Tactical - which are determined by what class they are and their level. In addition to their individual attributes, you have a squad-wide bonus that's determined by the training exercises you can assign from the board. Every time you get a squad promotion (up to your first squad member to reach level 40), the first few training missions will actually increase the total number of bonus attributes, but every mission after that will simply shuffle them around between Physical/Mental/Tactical.

Each squadron mission you send them on has a Physical, Mental, and Tactical rating, which increases the chance of success if the combined attributes of the members you assign is above that given rating. If your assigned squad's above all three ratings, you're guaranteed to succeed, but two or below means that your squad has a chance of failing the mission. Certain missions have an additional modifier in the top, such as "Archer" or "Roegadyn," and if your squad meets those modifiers, you gain a bonus chance of success and can increase the proc rate of chemistries.

After coming back from a successful squadron, your squad members have a chance to gain a random chemistry. Chemistries are special modifiers that have a percentage chance to proc after a successful mission, assuming the conditions are met. The most common ones you'll see early on are things like, "Increase experience gained by X% if you have Y% in the same mission." Later on, these chemistries will start to become more useful, usually providing bonus chances for things like materia, crafting scrips, company seals, MGP, or crystal clusters.

The most basic thing you want to do is to get 8 squad members with a relatively diverse racial makeup, which you accrue by finishing challenge log entries and randomly getting new members. You'll eventually want to have a fairly even distribution of classes (I usually go two tanks, one Conjurer, and then a mix-and-match of the various DPS classes), but it doesn't matter that much early on, since they can eventually be changed. Make sure your bonus attributes are maxed via training exercises, then send them out on squadron missions where you have at least two ratings met. You only need to do this once a day. You can also send them on command missions with yourself, where you take them into a small selection of dungeons and give them simple commands as you go through it. It otherwise is identical to a regular dungeon, though certain ones (like Brayflox) can be a real challenge if you aren't playing a tank. Doing this rewards EXP, and it's a good way to level them up if you happen to be leveling a class close in level to your squad members.

Realistically, you don't need to worry about them too much. You can get some nice cosmetic rewards if you rank up the squad members enough, and the command missions are useful for leveling up DPS classes. The rewards they bring back aren't amazing, but they're helpful, and the special squadron manuals they bring back are highly useful if your FC doesn't have the same company actions active.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

KoB posted:

Alphinaud is a good boy

Estinien is cool

Haurchefant is also a good boy.

Ok, but what about the plot?

Is there a resource that gives a quick summary?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

And after that is when the POTD hell begins

oh buddy i'm no stranger to potd, i don't mind some mindless grind here and there

thanks for the info! i'll try and take another dive into squadrons soon :)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Annath posted:

This is a good summary of the 2.0 plot, probably a couple hours long. Doesn't go into the 2.X unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_zHT9xtpXo&list=PLfyYP8FCoU1mNIpR1gjuuj_G4DqW8l_Bl

Post 2.0, about all I can remember is:

Refugees from Doma come pouring into Ul'dah, but are forced to go to Mor Dhona where they're happily accepted and work.
Alphinaud creates a city neutral band of warriors/adventurers called the Crystal Braves, commanded by Rauhbahn's old buddy Ilberd.
Ishgardian cultists lead by a lady named Ysale summon the primal Shiva, who Ysale transforms into.
You fight ultimate badass Midgardsomr, who cuts you off from Haedalyn's blessing to test you, but comes with you. Around this time a new scion shows up with a weapon that kills Ascians, and then gets killed. RIP.
You save Ishgard from a dragon attack, opening doors of diplomacy with them to the rest of the alliance.
Teledji Adeledji poisons the Sultana of Ul'dah during an Eorzean alliance meeting, blames you, and promptly gets murdered by Rauhbahn. The Crystal Braves, including Ilberd, mostly betray you.
You're a fugitive with Alphinaud and Tataru to Ishgard. The other Scions went missing during the assassination chaos.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 20, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd personalyl go back to the book int he inn room and watch the cutscenes from the ARR story. Skip any that seem boring, there's a lot that aren't really necessary to understanding heavensward

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Annath posted:

Here's the extremely short version:

You're the Warrior of Light, hero of renown, who slew a bunch of Primals (conjured, malevolent gods) and stopped a second invasion of Eorzea by the Garlean Empire with the help of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, an organization dedicated to stopping the Primals and countering the Ascians (evil, immortal mages who want to bring disaster to the world). In the aftermath of the attempted invasion, you work with Alphinaud Leveilleur, the pointy-eared boy genius, to form a new grand company, the Crystal Braves, with the intention of policing Eorzea without worrying about national borders. You eventually meet and temporarily stop the machinations of Lady Iceheart, a woman working alongside the mortal enemies of the northern nation of Ishgard - the Dravanians - after witnessing her seemingly turn into a Primal. You continue to battle against the influence of the Ascians and Garlemald; in the course of doing so, you eventually meet Midgardsormr, the Father of Wyrms, who strips away the shield that Hydaelyn gave you to protect you from the Ascians and uses it to create a new, smaller body to follow you around with, under the pretext of "testing" you. After losing one of the Scions, Moenbryda, to an attack by an Ascian, you are able to learn of a method to permanently destroy them.

This information proves to be less helpful than expected, as the majority of the Crystal Braves suddenly betray you and the rest of the Scions during a fete in Ul'dah. Ilberd, their captain, is desperate to free his home of Ala Mhigo, and consequently falls under the pay of Lord Lolorito, the richest man in Ul'dah, who is determined to stop the Sultana's attempts to turn Ul'dah into a republic. Raubahn - the Sultana's right-hand man, commander of the Immortal Flames, and a former friend of Ilberd - attempts to stop him, but has his left arm lopped off by Ilberd and is imprisoned. Lolorito frames you for the assassination of the Sultana - an event you witness as she drinks from a poisoned chalice - and you and the rest of the Scions are forced to flee from Ul'dah, with all of the major Scions save you, Alphinaud, and Tataru, the Lalafellin secretary, being lost during the pursuit. Rescued by a passing merchant sent by Alphinaud's sister, Alisaie, you find refuge in the only place you know: under the care of Lord Haurchefant, a well-respected noble of Ishgard whom you aided during your initial quest to stop the Garleans. He promises to protect you and the remaining Scions and takes you on as a ward of his royal house, allowing you to enter into Ishgard, where you become embroiled in events surrounding Ishgard's ongoing war with the Dravanians.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 20, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Annath posted:

the quick to hit points are:

- Primals, what are they and why is everyone scared of them?.

When people feel hopeless, angry, desperate they sometimes summon a Primal, a reflection of a divine being. They're exceptionally hard to summon, requiring specific rites and a large amount of Aether (magic) crystals... except when they're not. Primals draw from the latent aether in an area and will drain it of aether, or more likely they'll attack whoever their summoners were wronged by. Primals will "temper" most people, turning them to fight their friends, and that's what makes the Warrior of Light special. You will not be tempered and so can safely fight primals like Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda. They're very important for the story, but they tend to be pretty contained when they show up. They get summoned, the WOL comes and defeats them.

- The Three Kingdoms, Ishgard, and the Empire

Gridania, Ul'Dah, and Limsa Lominsa are the three city-states that form the basis of the non-empire power bloc in the known world. Gridania is located in a forest, Ul'Dah in a desert, and Limsa Lominsa is a Port City. Throughout ARR, you work within these areas and help their peoples, eventually convincing them to form a sort of alliance. The start of Heavensward is basically the power players realizing that Ishgard is a potential ally, and may even deserve a seat at the table. Ishgard, however, is a city-state mired in political morass, the Church and the Knights who guard it are not fond of ideas that don't help them advance their agenda to conclude the (centuries?)-old fight with Dragons. Finally, the Garlean Empire is the big bad empire which seeks to subjugate the peoples that surround it, and has advanced Magi-tek gear that helps them, like floating claws and giant suits of robo-armor.

the people you need to know:
-you: you're the warrior of light, you've laid low primals and tyrants. You've stopped the next Calamity a few times, and you've even found time to deliver cheese to a goblin.
- Alphinaud & co.: If you don't know who someone is, they're liable to be a member of whatever organization you're a part of right now. Urianger, Y'Shtola (who will be discussed but not seen much at the beginning of HW), Minfilia. These people are your support group, and they're all faceted so if you don't care about story, they're the same person, but if you do, you'll want to read the full ARR story.
- Tataru - the cutest lala, she handles finances and gets in over her head. She's mostly here as a reminder that this is an RPG and to just take it in stride.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Fantastic!

Once the game installs, I'll figure out if I'm still in Please Be Careful and get back to, uh, whatever the verb for being a Red Mage is.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ActionZero posted:

The only things I would change if I could would be to make Battle Voice affect the user (its just weird that it doesn't) and get rid of the damage type debuffs from the game so that you're not permanently hoping that your melee friends will suddenly really like DRG. My real concern is that BRD's been dramatically reworked for both expansions and I'm really hoping that they don't do that again for 5.0 and instead just enhance what's already there.

At least Battle Voice isn't a personal DPS loss for using it, unlike Foe Requiem. That really needs to be made off global.

The song rotation also needs to line up with raid buffs. Being 80 seconds is a huge odd duck when everything is based on 30.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Annath posted:

Once the game installs, I'll figure out if I'm still in Please Be Careful and get back to, uh, whatever the verb for being a Red Mage is.

Ver-b.

Please remember that no matter how badly he screws up, Alphinaud is a Good Boy and trying his very best to make you proud.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Re leveling as DRK:

Thanks you 3, I didn't even think about that tank queue advantage. I'm mostly doing it for the story but tanking is apparently way simpler than healing and as hard as that is for me to believe that, it's about time I try it.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Alphinaud is to the Scions as Lahabrea was to the Ascians: technically in charge but can do literally nothing right.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Rainuwastaken posted:

Ver-b.

Please remember that no matter how badly he screws up, Alphinaud is a Good Boy and trying his very best to make you proud.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Alphinaud also knows how to dress for weather.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
MSQ:

The part where Alisaie almost just gives up while kneeling in front of a still mute and motionless Ga Bu that I think she hoped would be better as a way to balance all the bad that just took place but instead it only served to remind her Alphi was still missing. Then she just looks up to you and tells you no matter how bad things get, we (player) can still be counted on to help bear everyone's burdens and give them hope...

Cooks at the Bismarck better stop cutting onions already.

I know some people dislike them and how important they've become over other characters in the story - I'd seriously like more Y'shtola/Thancred/Urianger - but I like seeing the twins grow in character and all they learn and the poo poo they have to deal with shows in their character growth in each story interval.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 20, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Keybind chat:

I despise using Ctrl. I moved my movement keys from WASD to EDSF.

All abilities are bound to 123456 / QWRTAG / ZXCVBN plus Shift modifiers for all of that. I have a couple abilities on NumPad (paladin stance switching, limit break) that I want to avoid fatfingering as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dancer artifact armor better be Bartz's dancer outfit