Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

cheetah7071 posted:

Newbie tips for DOS2:

--The equipment treadmill kinda sucks. Steal everything that isn't bolted down to keep up with it
--The exp curve is pretty tight and assumes you're doing most sidequests

- the game is mostly about combat and expects you to do everything you can to win including positioning beforehand and stuff like that.

If you're not a combat player (like me) I'd avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

- the game is mostly about combat and expects you to do everything you can to win including positioning beforehand and stuff like that.

If you're not a combat player (like me) I'd avoid it.

They added a new easier difficulty in the definitive edition!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

They added a new easier difficulty in the definitive edition!

I also found I was wandering around a lot not sure what to do. That's a bit of what's up with pathfinder too - it's not good at telling you stuff is done and what that means for you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I also found I was wandering around a lot not sure what to do. That's a bit of what's up with pathfinder too - it's not good at telling you stuff is done and what that means for you.

They also revamped the journal and quest logs!

(and also added more quest markers)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 26, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This game is sounding like it 100% captured the feel of Pathfinder.

I fully expect prone shooter made it in unchanged.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Taear posted:

the game is mostly about combat
If you're ignoring the story for some reason, I guess. Which I thought was pretty cool and has also been improved in the Definitive Edition.

quote:

and expects you to do everything you can to win including positioning beforehand and stuff like that.
I'm not sure what "stuff like that" entails, but I beat it on the normal difficulty without cheesing anything without much trouble.

That being said the fights can be pretty challenging, so if dying and having to retry stuff sometimes bothers you I can see how you might not like it. Though they did add an even easier difficulty, like someone said.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

Isn’t Pathfinder still stuck with old DnD caster supremacy? Is the solution to the difficulty to roll a whole team of casters?

i dunno, i just throw bombs at everything, gently caress em

Selane
May 19, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Yeah it's loving BRUTAL. Wolves running around like they're wearing full plate and poo poo, and there's scores of them.

I don't know poo poo about Pathfinder, but I just clicked a random stream after reading this to check it out a bit. Literally the first thing I see is some dude fighting some giant(albeit cool-looking wolves) and saying, "I think I'm supposed to come back here later because I don't see how this is even, like, remotely feasible".

Pretty much everything I've read about it indicates that it's terribly balanced.

edit: lol, missed this post the first time around

Dilber posted:

They said on the steam forums they're looking at changing the algorithms for the road combat generation because it's producing fights that physically can't be won.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

for one thing, on higher difficulties they give enemies a flat bonus to every roll and to AC, meaning sometimes it's not actually possible to hit them with any kind of attack.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

for one thing, on higher difficulties they give enemies a flat bonus to every roll and to AC, meaning sometimes it's not actually possible to hit them with any kind of attack.

Sounds very well thought out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

Sounds very well thought out

Hell of an act, what do you call it?

Pathfinder!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Selane posted:

If you're ignoring the story for some reason, I guess. Which I thought was pretty cool and has also been improved in the Definitive Edition.

I'm not sure what "stuff like that" entails, but I beat it on the normal difficulty without cheesing anything without much trouble.

That being said the fights can be pretty challenging, so if dying and having to retry stuff sometimes bothers you I can see how you might not like it. Though they did add an even easier difficulty, like someone said.

The story isn't anything special and the broken journal stuff made it hard to get engaged with it.
When things happen in the wrong order it totally takes me out of the game and makes me not care.

But yea, doing things over and over to progress makes me hate it. I just got bored and irritated, especially if it was a fight that I had to do to progress.
Partly that's down to it being turn based. I am really impatient during enemy turns - I just want to get on with it.

Selane posted:

I don't know poo poo about Pathfinder, but I just clicked a random stream after reading this to check it out a bit. Literally the first thing I see is some dude fighting some giant(albeit cool-looking wolves) and saying, "I think I'm supposed to come back here later because I don't see how this is even, like, remotely feasible".

Pretty much everything I've read about it indicates that it's terribly balanced.

edit: lol, missed this post the first time around

Sorry to quote massive text bits to reply to just a tiny part but I can't easily delete it on my phone.
The actual story battles are like this. Screen after screen of oneshot enemies then bam, you're being oneshot and it's confusing as hell!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

The story isn't anything special and the broken journal stuff made it hard to get engaged with it.
When things happen in the wrong order it totally takes me out of the game and makes me not care.

I don't think that ever happened though.

I guess there might have been some bugs like that in Arx but I don't think you got that far if you didn't like the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pathfinder is a game made by a very specific kind of brokebrained grognard for other brokebrained grognards and it's not terribly surprising the video game version wasn't tested by anybody who doesn't know the system inside and out

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 26, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Is that why they literally named the difficulty "unfair"? :pram:

I checked out a stream of a guy playing it and I think he spent like half an hour on some of the first enemies because he kept dying in seconds.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Pathfinder is a game made by a very specific kind of brokebrained grognard for other brokebrained grognard and it's not terribly surprising the video game version wasn't tested by anybody who doesn't know the system inside and out

Yeah I can't imagine many people who aren't super deep into Pathfinder getting excited about playtesting Kingmaker

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

I don't think that ever happened though.

I guess there might have been some bugs like that in Arx but I don't think you got that far if you didn't like the game.

It happened loads. For example I had a scene where the elf assassin went and killed a character who was already dead, or where quite far into the initial Island area I got an update for a quest I'd already done that acted like I hadn't done it.
I got to act...four? Just before Arx.

cheetah7071 posted:

Pathfinder is a game made by a very specific kind of brokebrained grognard for other brokebrained grognard

It's got that feel where it's made by a person who is so familiar with the format they don't know what a person who isn't familiar with it needs to know.
Which is a bad thing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sounds like a hard pass on Kingmaker. Ah well I loved PoE 2 so I guess that'll have to do. How's the writing outside the systems? Did Avellone go over the top? Does it have any weird Russian politics?

SilverMike posted:

My Steam review on BT4, only thing I'd add now is a note about having to do puzzles for a significant portion of the game.

TL;DR I've got mixed feelings about recommending BT4 right now - the game itself is cool and good, but some of the design choices and the outstanding bugs make it hard to easily recommend to people.

I'm liking it, but various design choices and outstanding bugs are making it hard to recommend yet. Game's got a pleasant mix of combat and puzzles, feels like something I played in my past. The combat is fairly non-standard; you have 3+ Opportunity points to spend across your entire party's actions every turn. Bard songs and spells have no Opportunity cost, but they require you to generate spell points during combat. It leads to an odd style where I've been setting up 1-3 people to do the majority of my party's damage with the rest standing around as meatshields or support bots.

The environments I've played through so far are very maze-like and keep various puzzles and secrets. Some stuff you need to come back to later after you've learned a song to do a thing, pretty much like getting a new ability in a Metroidvania. Nothing mandatory to getting to the next plot point has been too hard so far, but there are some optional things I've needed to make a note of for later.

That being said, bugs/design choices are pissing me off too frequently. Save points, which you are encouraged to cannibalize for XP. No respeccing, which sucks with named NPCs having skills you don't need/want on them. No inventory sorting (will be patched sometime?), game optimization is poor (again, working on patches for that), I've lost a skill point on one of my characters, and more. It feels like I'm playing a beta test.

But the game itself is enjoyable as someone who's played lots of RPGs. Hopefully most of the questionable stuff will be changed/fixed in a few months and at that point I'd easily recommend buying it sometime.

And this sounds like it will/might be absolutely my poo poo when/if they fix it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

It happened loads. For example I had a scene where the elf assassin went and killed a character who was already dead, or where quite far into the initial Island area I got an update for a quest I'd already done that acted like I hadn't done it.
I got to act...four? Just before Arx.

I haven't really heard other people having those kind of problems with quests in any widespread but those do sound pretty plausible. Sprawling CRPGs are pretty complicated after all.

You got pretty far as a person who hates the game though. That's like 40+ hours right there.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 26, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Sounds like a hard pass on Kingmaker. Ah well I loved PoE 2 so I guess that'll have to do. How's the writing outside the systems? Did Avellone go over the top? Does it have any weird Russian politics?

So far I haven't reached any weird Avellone stuff, no Durance or Ravel. But everyone is a proper exposition dump and has the same voice when they talk.

The only strange Russian stuff is peculiar sexism, where I can continually call female characters beautiful and get mad at them not liking it.
That sure came across weirdly.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

The only strange Russian stuff is peculiar sexism, where I can continually call female characters beautiful and get mad at them not liking it.
That sure came across weirdly.

That sounds pretty funny at least

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

I haven't really heard other people having those kind of problems with quests in any widespread but those do sound pretty plausible. Sprawling CRPGs are pretty complicated after all.

You got pretty far a person who hates the game though. That's like 40+ hours right there.

Yea it was ages, once I have started I hate to abandon anything but I was hating it so much I couldn't carry on by that point. I just wandered that island in act 3 or whatever for a while got frustrated and finally kicked it in. I broke story threads LOADS in act 2.

The thread mentioned stuff like that loads when the game was new.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

Yea it was ages, once I have started I hate to abandon anything but I was hating it so much I couldn't carry on by that point. I just wandered that island in act 3 or whatever for a while got frustrated and finally kicked it in. I broke story threads LOADS in act 2.

The thread mentioned stuff like that loads when the game was new.

Yeah they have probably fixed a lot of that stuff by now if it was prevalent

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

to be fair this was a problem in neverwinter nights 1 as well except it happened on normal difficulty to full BAB classes, so you could only hit certain monsters (even in the early game) with a natural 20 crit

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

to be fair this was a problem in neverwinter nights 1 as well except it happened on normal difficulty to full BAB classes, so you could only hit certain monsters (even in the early game) with a natural 20 crit
I still have no idea how I ever managed to play NWN as a kid, considering how little I knew what I was doing :iiam:

Also I just noticed Pathfinder is down to "Mixed" reviews on Steam now. I wish I could get into Pillars of Eternity because I'd love to play a game like this but the setting and characters just wasn't doing it for me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I still have no idea how I ever managed to play NWN as a kid, considering how little I knew what I was doing :iiam:

Also I just noticed Pathfinder is down to "Mixed" reviews on Steam now. I wish I could get into Pillars of Eternity because I'd love to play a game like this but the setting and characters just wasn't doing it for me.

What exactly do you mean by "a game like this"? There are plenty on non-PoE options out there. You could try Tyranny which I personally found a lot more interesting than Pillars. The shadowrun games are also of a similar vein and pretty good.

There's also Original Sin 2 which I already recommended. I think it's the best game in the whole genre.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 26, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Your Computer posted:

it feels like I talk it up a whole lot but Masquerada: Songs and Shadows is a CRPG that cuts out almost all of the bullshit

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Taear posted:

You go to owlcat's website and sign in, you should have claimed on the backer portal and you'll have a download key there if you did it properly when they emailed it to you.
If you didn't you'll need to find those emails. They're from ages ago, maybe this time last year.

I don't remember if I did it, the only mail I can find from that period about the portal is where they say there was a typo in the first mail (which I can't find).

I've been entering my e-mail address in 'Get your transfer code' on the Owlcat site, it says the e-mail was successfully sent, but I never actually get said mail.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Really Pants posted:

it feels like I talk it up a whole lot but Masquerada: Songs and Shadows is a CRPG that cuts out almost all of the bullshit
It does. Also the Shadowruns are pretty streamlined.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

What exactly do you mean by "a game like this"? There are plenty on non-PoE options out there. You could try Tyranny which I personally found it a lot more interesting than Pillars. The shadowrun games are also of a similar vein and pretty good.

There's also Original Sin 2 which I already recommended. I think it's the best game in the whole genre.
I'll definitely be checking out Original Sin 2 next time it's on sale! I also totally forgot about Tyranny, I was interested in that at some point and just never bought it. I'll add it to my wishlist!

I guess by "game like this" I meant that sort of classic/DnD fantasy game. Like I said I played NWN as a kid and have always had a nostalgic fondness for that sort of game despite being really bad at them :v: Pathfinder looked like a pretty straight take on it which is why I was hoping it was going to be good (and also looks to have some interesting classes).

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to check 'em out!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pillars 2 is also much better than pillars 1

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The NWN EE came out for Steam a while ago, by the way.

Also, all the Infinity Engine games are now on Steam, except Icewind Dale II.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Act 2 of Divinity:OS2 was definitely a bit busted for me at launch, but nothing on the critical path. Just side quests busting and that one wizard dude or w/e was notorious for just acting like his quest was done and skipping straight to your boat.

I'd like to think a lot of that was fixed since that time.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

It took me a long while to really warm up to the Pillars setting and now it's up there for me. It was almost like language immersion, I didn't understand it at all until I really started understanding and digging it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I don't remember if I did it, the only mail I can find from that period about the portal is where they say there was a typo in the first mail (which I can't find).

I've been entering my e-mail address in 'Get your transfer code' on the Owlcat site, it says the e-mail was successfully sent, but I never actually get said mail.

If you search your email for owlcat and backer do you find it then?
Go to the website, click on preorder then click sign in at the top and find out what happens, maybe you've already done it.

Absolutely. I really enjoy the setting though, some amazing ideas

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's a direct continuation of 1 though, isn't it? It honestly looks more interesting to me than 1 but I figure it would be a pretty dumb idea to jump straight on 2 without playing 1 :v:

Phlegmish posted:

The NWN EE came out for Steam a while ago, by the way.

Also, all the Infinity Engine games are now on Steam, except Icewind Dale II.
Last I remember hearing about NWN EE was that they didn't really do anything to enhance it and just basically released NWN again, did anything more happen after that? I do sorta want to try it out again but it's an old game and I'm not sure I'd be able to get into it like I did as a kid. Same goes for the Infinity Engine games. They're not easy games to get into :v: Also I know it's sacrilegious but I could never get into Baldur's Gate because of the "humor".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I should probably try Pillars 2 at some point.

I really disliked Pillars 1 but everyone is saying that 2 is a lot better

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Your Computer posted:

It's a direct continuation of 1 though, isn't it? It honestly looks more interesting to me than 1 but I figure it would be a pretty dumb idea to jump straight on 2 without playing 1 :v:
I think PoE1 is a real good game worth playing, but if you really wanted to you could skip straight to 2. 2 actually has a system that Tyranny started where you can click on key lore words in dialogue and the game will give you a bit of exposition to explain what that is. So 2 really doesn't you throw into the fantasy word deep end like its predecessor kind of did.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Taear posted:

If you search your email for owlcat and backer do you find it then?
Go to the website, click on preorder then click sign in at the top and find out what happens, maybe you've already done it.

No luck, and I'm already signed in. It says I have no digital downloads.

Going to wait until they sort it out, this is kind of a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Last I remember hearing about NWN EE was that they didn't really do anything to enhance it and just basically released NWN again, did anything more happen after that? I do sorta want to try it out again but it's an old game and I'm not sure I'd be able to get into it like I did as a kid. Same goes for the Infinity Engine games. They're not easy games to get into :v: Also I know it's sacrilegious but I could never get into Baldur's Gate because of the "humor".

From what I'm aware the major selling points of EE are the improved modding and online capabilities. And being able to run effectively on modern systems without workarounds. If none of that matters to you it's not gonna be worth getting if you've already played the original.