Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
In banking you are absolutely required to disclose to the applicant that they are applying for credit, but retailers are more loosely regulated so I don't know if it would be required there. It is the type of thing the CFPB would have been interested in a couple years ago but now it is being dismantled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The only way to see how much you'll qualify for is to apply for a credit card though, right? And then they tell you and ask if you want it, at which point you sign up for the card?

BTW if you get a credit card from a retail store you're an idiot.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My target card used to give me 10% off my entire purchase but then they made it 5% so I stopped using it. Congratulations target, you just played yourself.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism anyway.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Agreed, and that fills me with uncontrollable despair.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Agreed, and that fills me with uncontrollable despair.

I prefer to think of it as an opportunity for moral freedom

quote:

“Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.

Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.

Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world.

:goonsay: , while gobbling whale meat and rolling coal

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Whale meat is pretty alright. Hard to cook well.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Nice piece of fish posted:

Whale meat is pretty alright. Hard to cook well.

Hard to tell with Norwegians cooking it

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

LifeLynx posted:

But I don't want to start a derail over the ethics of in-store credit cards, I'm sorry. :( I just had a mild curiosity over if that kind of lying was illegal. But if it's just lovely business practices and there are no laws directly against it because USA then I guess it's really a topic for another thread.

New York State and New York City have much better consumer protections than most of the US, so there may actually be someone to whom you can report this.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

My main interest in law would be helping myself and other people in situations like that where they can't find help anywhere else, not necessarily being some big shot lawyer making crisp hundred dollar bills every few minutes. Thats also why I said the end-game for me isn't necessarily being a lawyer, but learning more about law.

There are actually quite a lot of people who go to law school with this idea. It's not as easy as it seems, though. The best way to accomplish this is in real life is to become a public defender or work for a non-profit, which a lot of people are actually doing. But these are really incredibly demanding jobs without a corresponding amount of pay. It takes a really special kind of person to sustain a career like that, and even then it's usually not how you imagined it to be.

It's really tough to pull off what you want as a solo practitioner. There are a lot of costs that go into representing people, fees are not just pure profit. Just the court fees can be astronomical, depending on what kind of case it is. And if you do manage to work out how to balance keeping fees low and turning some amount of profit, you also have to actually get paid. Not everyone just pays their bills on time, no problem. You'll either have to spend a significant amount of time chasing down your fees or hire someone to do it, which is more overhead. And you'll be running a business, on top of your already full workload as a lawyer.

I say this as someone who actually did do what you want to do. I worked with the elderly and disabled, many of whom were on limited incomes, helping them get and keep their public benefits and otherwise stay solvent. My salary was $55,000. My firm also did volunteer work for people who couldn't afford lawyers or who were incapacitated and couldn't hire a lawyer for themselves. We would never have been able to survive as a for-profit firm doing just that work, though. We also did a lot of trusts, estates and corporate work for wealthy people. Another thing you might not be anticipating is that not every client is an average person who will just listen to you, follow your advice, say thank you and leave. A lot of clients are dramatic people with dramatic issues (to put it as nicely as I can). They will take up a very large amount of your time and will make things as difficult as possible. Sometimes they will have untreated or undertreated mental health issues, and you'll have to get extremely good at dealing with this assertively. It's still emotionally exhausting, even when you get better at it.

Sorry for the novel, but this idea that attorneys are all some conspiracy of fat cats is annoying to me. I met a lot of real rear end in a top hat lawyers when I was practicing, there are definitely a ton -- but I also met a lot of people who were busting their asses to help people and weren't getting rich from it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if i get accused of a crime but my calendar says i wasn't doing a crime, how innocent am i? assume i am rich and white.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if i get accused of a crime but my calendar says i wasn't doing a crime, how innocent am i? assume i am rich and white.

You really should be resting up for tomorrow, Your Honor.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Phil Moscowitz posted:

:vince:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lowly posted:

There are actually quite a lot of people who go to law school with this idea. It's not as easy as it seems, though. The best way to accomplish this is in real life is to become a public defender or work for a non-profit, which a lot of people are actually doing. But these are really incredibly demanding jobs without a corresponding amount of pay. It takes a really special kind of person to sustain a career like that, and even then it's usually not how you imagined it to be.

It's really tough to pull off what you want as a solo practitioner. There are a lot of costs that go into representing people, fees are not just pure profit. Just the court fees can be astronomical, depending on what kind of case it is. And if you do manage to work out how to balance keeping fees low and turning some amount of profit, you also have to actually get paid. Not everyone just pays their bills on time, no problem. You'll either have to spend a significant amount of time chasing down your fees or hire someone to do it, which is more overhead. And you'll be running a business, on top of your already full workload as a lawyer.

I say this as someone who actually did do what you want to do. I worked with the elderly and disabled, many of whom were on limited incomes, helping them get and keep their public benefits and otherwise stay solvent. My salary was $55,000. My firm also did volunteer work for people who couldn't afford lawyers or who were incapacitated and couldn't hire a lawyer for themselves. We would never have been able to survive as a for-profit firm doing just that work, though. We also did a lot of trusts, estates and corporate work for wealthy people. Another thing you might not be anticipating is that not every client is an average person who will just listen to you, follow your advice, say thank you and leave. A lot of clients are dramatic people with dramatic issues (to put it as nicely as I can). They will take up a very large amount of your time and will make things as difficult as possible. Sometimes they will have untreated or undertreated mental health issues, and you'll have to get extremely good at dealing with this assertively. It's still emotionally exhausting, even when you get better at it.

Sorry for the novel, but this idea that attorneys are all some conspiracy of fat cats is annoying to me. I met a lot of real rear end in a top hat lawyers when I was practicing, there are definitely a ton -- but I also met a lot of people who were busting their asses to help people and weren't getting rich from it.

I love you. This is the best post I've ever seen.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

"Surely this new sexual assault allegation will derail the nomination", says increasingly nervous man for seventh time this month

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of which:

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/me...ed-states-day-5

Click play if it says "rescheduled".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

homullus posted:

The cheapest path by far is to get a fantastic LSAT score and go to a low-ranking accredited school with a part-time program.

Edit: the LSAT is for scholarship money

This school will have a harder curve than better schools and a 3.2 gpa requirement to keep your scholarship. Statistically some of those in the top of your class will not have a scholarship.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

This school will have a harder curve than better schools and a 3.2 gpa requirement to keep your scholarship. Statistically some of those in the top of your class will not have a scholarship.

Some schools (from Harvard to TTT) offer such scholarships with no GPA requirements beyond those for staying in the school. In not offering conditional scholarships, schools do not have to post an ABA Conditional Scholarship Retention Worksheet at all.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lowly posted:

The non-profit side can also be just as exclusive as biglaw if you want to work for, say, the ACLU.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

The non-profit side can also be just as exclusive as biglaw if you want to work for, say, the ACLU.

Tbh it’s more exclusive. Biglaw needs a lot of ditch diggers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lowly posted:

It's doable, but yeah, it's a lot like being a public school teacher: low pay, long hours, an immense amount of frustration, paid for with essentially random and excruciatingly rare moments where you might actually be making a difference and changing someone's life for the better, if they don't gently caress it all up again a week later.

Bright side is when people give you crap about being a lawyer you can make "No, I'm one of the good ones!" jokes (they don't believe you).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 27, 2018

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

homullus posted:

Some schools (from Harvard to TTT) offer such scholarships with no GPA requirements beyond those for staying in the school. In not offering conditional scholarships, schools do not have to post an ABA Conditional Scholarship Retention Worksheet at all.

This is correct. It's not a hard rule that a lower ranked school will have some impossible to meet scholarship retention requirement. And in any case, you can find this out before attending so it's just something to be aware of, not something to discourage applying/attending. That's what the employment rate/salary/hours are for!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Adar posted:

"Surely this new sexual assault allegation will derail the nomination", says increasingly nervous man for seventh time this month

Then they'd just nominate a still hateful but not rapey judge off the list, get him (or the lone potential her though that is unlikely since Trump found her insufficiently deferential) rammed through in the lame duck session and they would then be on the court for ages since whilst still shamelessly partisan they were still clever enough to stay on the right side of the impeachability line. My preference would be for Kavanaugh to get rammed through, the truth then to come out and him getting impeached off the court (cue unprecedented legal drama).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I was watching a tv show where a character lies under oath and a few minutes later confesses to that lie of their own volition, apologizes to the judge, and provides useful testimony.

Have they technically committed perjury? And if they have, can they be prosecuted for that even if they confessed in essentially the same act?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I was watching a tv show where a character lies under oath and a few minutes later confesses to that lie of their own volition, apologizes to the judge, and provides useful testimony.

Have they technically committed perjury? And if they have, can they be prosecuted for that even if they confessed in essentially the same act?

If Law and Order has taught me anything it's that as long as you change your testimony while still under oath it doesn't count as perjury.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

A person commits perjury if, with intent to deceive and with knowledge of the statement's meaning:

He makes a false statement under oath or swears to the truth of a false statement previously made and the statement is required or authorized by law to be made under oath;

A person commits aggravated perjury if he commits perjury (as defined above) and the false statement:

Is made during or in connection with an official proceeding; and

Is material (A statement is material, regardless of the admissibility of the statement under the rules of evidence, if it could have affected the course or outcome of the official proceeding).

Classification of the Crime

Class A misdemeanor

Third degree felony for aggravated perjury

Sentences and Penalties

Class A misdemeanor: Up to 1 year in county jail, fine of up to $4,000.

Third degree felony: 2 to 10 years in state prison, fine of up to $10,000.

Defenses

Lack of intent to deceive

Lack of knowledge of the statement's meaning

Mistake

Entrapment

Note: It is not a defense that the oath was taken in an irregular manner or that there was some irregularity with the appointment or qualification of the person who was giving the oath.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Technically, yes, the person has committed aggravated perjury.

As a practical matter, basically no one is ever prosecuted for it. The defenses to perjury are broad enough to make prosecution pretty difficult to begin with, the "intent to deceive" element is very difficult to prove, and I think, but I'm not sure, that with hundreds of cases on their desk already, going after people who've already lost in court because their lying was found out is a very low priority for prosecutors.

Also, there is a very complicated rule about judicial privilege for pleadings and statements made in court that you can look up if you're bored.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There was a notable murder case a few decades ago that I read about wherein the murderer was acquitted, and then smoking-gun evidence (photographs of the murder in progress, this guy was world class evil) was discovered afterward, so he was prosecuted for perjury since he'd testified he hadn't committed the murder. He pled guilty to the perjury charge.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing is the vast majority of the time the person committing perjury is the defendant, and any sentence for perjury related to their crime would run concurrently to the primary sentence - there's no point in wasting time having another trial. The judge just notes 'you showed no remorse and lied in your trial' and turns towards the high end of the sentencing guidelines.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The key is the intent element. Often, although not always, anyone changing their testimony on the stand could simply say they misspoke the first time and corrected themselves as soon as they could, and that would be enough of a defense to give them a decent shot at acquittal. Obviously dependent on the situation and wording, etc.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Alchenar posted:

and any sentence for perjury related to their crime would run concurrently to the primary sentence -
sentencing guidelines.
Oh, my sweet summer child...

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
In the criminal context there's very little enthusiasm for charging your own witnesses with perjury.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I feel like anytime the defendant needs to testify, the jail time for perjury is a rounding error compared to whatever charge they're staring down the barrel of so not really a deterrent.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

joat mon posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child...

Sorry I live in a country with a functioning non-politicised legal system.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Impossible by definition

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Pook Good Mook posted:

In the criminal context there's very little enthusiasm for charging your own witnesses with perjury.

Whatever jail time might be possible is NOTHING compared to the eternal judgment of the LORD OUR GOD awaiting those swear falsely on His name

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Javid posted:

I feel like anytime the defendant needs to testify, the jail time for perjury is a rounding error compared to whatever charge they're staring down the barrel of so not really a deterrent.

We actually don't have perjury for defendants, to prevent them being barred from doing whatever they feel is needed in their defence. Still have accessory to perjury though, and false accusation so it's not a free for all.

Alchenar posted:

euphronius posted:

Impossible by definition

I'm sorry, as much as I appreciate and feel grateful for the quality and functionality of our system which is honestly one of the best ones in the world by observable metrics, euphronius is right. No such loving thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm disappointed to discover that Jack McCoy is not the unimpeachable legal mind Dick Wolf would have me believe.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I'm disappointed to discover that Jack McCoy is not the unimpeachable legal mind Dick Wolf would have me believe.

Law and Order used to do a pretty good job of dealing with emerging legal issues. Rote procedural ones, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
There was former DA back where I used to work who became a better call saul style CRIMINAL defense attorney a few years before I got there. He got busted bringing drugs into the jail.
He represented himself, testified in his own defense and was acquitted. Then he was charged and convicted of perjury. Ouch.