Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

"Sales" is a predatory, burden-shifting industry that pretends to be a meritocracy. Hey, this product has literally zero demand. We could advertise? No, that would cost too much money, lets have a bunch of shysters and hucksters convince a bunch of morons to advertise it for us but they'll only get paid if their advertising works, and if it works well enough then the morons can get promoted to huckster, with the promise of making Regional Vice Shyster one day, and they can go recruit other morons!

I have to spend about an hour a day listening to wholesalers and service vendors, it doesn't take long to parse out that all of this talk about "solutions" is bullshit 99.99% of the time

like, even if you're actually selling something that solves a problem (most aren't) and it's a problem we actually have (most aren't), there are 20 other guys pitching equivalent solutions. So even in the best case scenario where they all have the right answer there's still this tremendous wasted effort trying to fight over who gets our money.

Pick posted:

An engineer only succeeds if their product "works", a salesperson can make a product succeed whether or not it's good. They're the ones who actually make the difference.

"Sales is all about helping people and solving problems"
"A good salesperson can sell stuff even if it doesn't actually do anything useful"

I can see why you like sales

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
When I think of places with people that have the most selfless benefit to society, it's a close race between children's hospitals, soup kitchens, and the local Best Buy.

Lent money to a heroin addict friend, he wants my bank details to pay back[new]

An old friend [M32] who I'm [30M] in touch with but don't see is a heroin addict and asked me to lend him£20 to pay his mum back so she didn't get bank charges.

He says he'll pay it back but wants to do a bank transfer. Is it safe to give my account details to someone I don't trust as much as I used to? It's not that I don't trust him, it's more I don't trust his desperation and involvement with dealers.

I'm not bothered about the money tbh so thought about just saying don't worry about it, but I don't want him to ask me again incase I'm funding his habit, and also interested too see if he's true to his word.

Could anything bad happen if I hand over my bank details? He doesn't know my address exactly but I think he could find out pretty easily. Thanks

Tl;Dr: lent some money to Friend who's a heroin addict, worried about giving him my bank details.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

MightyJoe36 posted:

Sounds more like you are describing a MLM scam than straight up sales.

Its all the same. Pharmaceutical sales, car sales, home security system sales, construction sales, manufactured products sales, multi-level marketing sales, fashion 'buyers' - you pick the product/industry and the fundamental parts are always the same: the supplier has a product that doesn't sell itself, so they 'hire' someone to invert the demand curve for them by a) convincing people who don't need it to want it, b) convincing people who can't afford it to finance it, or c) by bribing the people who will sell it to someone else to buy it from you and proceed back to a) or b).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Straight White Shark posted:

I have to spend about an hour a day listening to wholesalers and service vendors, it doesn't take long to parse out that all of this talk about "solutions" is bullshit 99.99% of the time

like, even if you're actually selling something that solves a problem (most aren't) and it's a problem we actually have (most aren't), there are 20 other guys pitching equivalent solutions. So even in the best case scenario where they all have the right answer there's still this tremendous wasted effort trying to fight over who gets our money.

This dude gets it.

In commercial industries, the vendor who gets the contract is going to be the one who took the distributor rep to the nicest strip club.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The only job more wonderful and beneficial than salesman is alcoholic comedy writer. Sure it's my job, but I'm not biased: Like a salesperson liasons people with exactly the perfect product to suit their needs in a way that can't be repeated unless we invent some magic machine where people can type in what they want and it looks at data from all over the world, I liason people between thinking things and hearing them said.

The past week my boyfriend of 2 years [35M] has been binge drinking heavily. He has stopped doing chores and our place is now a garbage dump. I [24F] am very worried by this sudden change.[new]

Yesterday he confessed that his small business startup was struggling and he’s going through a rough time. This weekend, he’s drunk a case of strong IPAs and a fifth of vodka. That’s not including drinks at the bar every night. I am trying to be understanding of his internal struggle but I am honestly livid at what’s become of our lives. A week ago, I told his that I’m not cleaning everything up this time. He promised to clean. But he only cleans a tiny bit every day. Not enough to overcome the ever increasing mess. I feel like I’ve lost my home. When I come home after a long stressful day, I cannot rest on my own couch because his laundry is piled all over, for like 2 weeks now. There are bottles and dishes everywhere. I found a cockroach! Last night we had a serious talk and I think he heard the pain in my voice because he swore to quit drinking for a month (like he does for dry January). He gave me $100 and told me not to give it back unless the bedroom was spotless when I came home. Well you guessed it. I come home today and nothing has changed. Not one bottle budged! I call him and he says he had to pick up our stranded friends from camping. And then they started drinking so he won’t be home for like 10 hours. Then he hands me over to our friends who explain the situation and try to make me feel better for taking his away and making him drink. It’s not their fault at all. He could have cleaned up before he left. He could have turned down drinking. I have never been more upset with him. This is so unlike him to be untrustworthy.

If I stayed up till 2AM cleaning like I have for the past month, he wouldn’t learn, right? Should I get a hotel room so I’m not afraid of cockroaches crawling over me? We have our first counseling appointment coming up but I’m at my wits end right now.

TL;DR Boyfriends work woes have made him a drunk who doesn’t clean.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you get outfoxed by a heroin addict into giving him your bank info I think the UK government sends you to a fate worse than Australia.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

If you get outfoxed by a heroin addict into giving him your bank info I think the UK government sends you to a fate worse than Australia.

I liked this part "it's not that I don't trust him, it's more I don't trust his desperation and involvement with dealers,"

It's not that I don't find her attractive, I just don't find her body or face or personality attractive.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Lent money to a heroin addict friend, he wants my bank details to pay back[new]

If you’re that dumb that you have to ask Reddit about this one, yes give him your bank details.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ew not retail sales that’s gross

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

If you're that worried, just give me your bank details so I can watch your bank for you in case he steals anything

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Um so you’re OBJECTING to the fact that proper salespeople are literally highly efficient and fully accountable party scientists? Sorry we know how to make you happy??

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I regret starting the sales derail.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Pick posted:

Um so you’re OBJECTING to the fact that proper salespeople are literally highly efficient and fully accountable party scientists? Sorry we know how to make you happy??

You're sure as gently caress not making SA happy

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

I can't wait to see who wins the Noble Prize for Sales this year, they really are the heroes of society.

I [24F] feel overwhelmed by a salesman's [~25M] attempt to contact me
I'm not sure if this is even the right place for this but I need advice. This is such a stupid problem I feel silly.

A few days ago I test drove a car simply on the basis of loving it online but since it's a rare make for my city, I was curious about some of the features. I was very upfront about this when requesting a test drive as I am still in the early stages of even deciding to purchase a new car.

When giving my information I left my parents phone number and address. I typically do this for any initial point of contact and decide after if the person/organization needs my cellphone number. This might sound ridiculous but after a few incidents of my information being used to stalk/harass me, my parents and I are both happy to do this.

Right before the test drive a different salesman pulled up my file they had created when I made the appointment over the phone. I could see my file and the file for each other person with the same last name as me. The file showed their full name, address, and phone number. I comment that my brother had been in recently, the salesman laughs, and leaves me alone with the screen pulled up showing me this information. I decide right then and there I'm uncomfortable giving them my "real" information.

So after the test drive here I am back at the dealership .. We agree this isn't the car for me but discuss coming back at some point to test out other makes/models. I tell him i'll contact him.

While I would expect him to initiate further communication with me, I didn't expect him to start contacting me with information I didn't provide him. He's calling my office (number is not publicly listed/part of a directory), sending me messages on LinkedIn, and making me feel a little overwhelmed. I'm sure he's a very nice and sincere person (I don't think his motives of contacting me are anything other than to sell me a car) but I'm not really sure how to respond.

The issue I have with responding is I am half the face of the company I work for and am afraid of representing it poorly. If this were my personal life i would know exactly what to do to but I'm more so worried about ensuring my company's image isn't compromised.

I'm nervous if I respond "Thank you for reaching out to me but at this point I am still not decided on purchasing a new car" he will send me a rebuttal and I'll be right back where I started.

I'm also nervous to not give him an explanation as I'm sure he'll keep digging deeper to find new ways to contact me.

I feel silly for not knowing exactly how to approach this but it's the first time this type of thing has happened with my work related contact information.

tl;dr: Salesman is contacting me at work now and I'm not sure how to get him to stop

The sales flak is definitely being a pest but goddamn girl how you gonna write so much down when the answer is just ignore him FFS

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Moon Atari posted:

I regret starting the sales derail.

guess you could say you sold them on the argument

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

anyone who doesn't think salespeople are absolute bottom tier scum of the earth clearly has never had to work with them

or, in picks case, has never had to work at all lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

call center manager posted:

You're sure as gently caress not making SA happy

I accomplish what I set out to do

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

The sales flak is definitely being a pest but goddamn girl how you gonna write so much down when the answer is just ignore him FFS

When I was a pizzaboy I would have to use my personal mobile to call customers who didn't come to the door. Once I did this and the customer didn't answer the phone but came to the door anyway. Once she saw she had a missed call she tried to call me back but I just ignored it. Overnight they sent me about five texts asking who I was and made another three or four calls. I felt too awkward about triggering this weird desperation to answer at that point so chose to just ignore it, expecting them to give up. For the next month they tried calling me at least ten times a day and left hundreds of texts asking "who is this?" and "why did you call?" and "ANSWER ME!!!". I eventually figured out how to block the number, but then I started getting the same messages from a different number. I eventually answered this number and said I don't know who they are but I may have accidentally dialled them. They said okay and never called again.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

When I was a pizzaboy I would have to use my personal mobile to call customers who didn't come to the door. Once I did this and the customer didn't answer the phone but came to the door anyway. Once she saw she had a missed call she tried to call me back but I just ignored it. Overnight they sent me about five texts asking who I was and made another three or four calls. I felt too awkward about triggering this weird desperation to answer at that point so chose to just ignore it, expecting them to give up. For the next month they tried calling me at least ten times a day and left hundreds of texts asking "who is this?" and "why did you call?" and "ANSWER ME!!!". I eventually figured out how to block the number, but then I started getting the same messages from a different number. I eventually answered this number and said I don't know who they are but I may have accidentally dialled them. They said okay and never called again.

Lol, holy crap

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nonvalueadded User posted:

I read this as he’s paying down the full interest charges assessed each month, not just the minimum due, to avoid the snowballing of interest getting rolled into the balance. So not the worst move, but not really commmendable.

the minimum due is always more than the monthly interest

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My [19m] girlfriend [20f] thought I said something to her in the past when it was actually her friend and it makes me think she doesn’t ever pay attention to what I say

quote:

My girlfriend thought I didn’t like going bowling. So she got bowling tickets and said huh idk who to go with. I said what about me? And she said “well you said you don’t play bowling and you hate it?”

I never said that ever to her. So it must have been one of her friends when they were together talking about bowling. It’s a minor thing, but the fact that she can just get what her friend said to her mixed up with what I said to her makes me think she doesn’t care or really pay attention to what I have to say to her ever. Am i overreacting or is this a hint to her not really caring or paying attention to what I have to say?

TLDR: My girlfriend thought I said I hate bowling to her in the past when it was actually her friend who told her this when they were hanging out. Am I being pathetic by thinking she doesn’t care/pay attention to what I say because of this?

This one made me laugh.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

LadyPictureShow posted:

If you’re that dumb that you have to ask Reddit about this one, yes give him your bank details.

Rubellavator posted:

If you're that worried, just give me your bank details so I can watch your bank for you in case he steals anything
Wait, wait, are we having a communication problem here? When I think "bank details", I think giving someone my IBAN number and name, that's all they need to transfer me any amount of money. No way they'll get my address or any other info from that, so I thought the "lol" factor was him being worried at all.

Do "bank details" in the UK (and US I guess for people being "lol" the other way) involve any more than that??? I'm legitimately curious as to what the problem could be, I'd give my account number to any ol' idiot, the only thing they can do with it is give me money!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
the lies salespeople tell themselves about the utility of their job and how irreplaceable their skills are lmao. I'm sure it's just a way to stay sane and I have a lot of sympathy for coping mechanisms so I'll leave it at that

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In the US, people can theoretically take your money if they have your routing number, but it's printed on every check so it's not exactly top secret.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

There are many ways to steal your money with very little information but regardless do not give your money or any information on yourself to drug addicts

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

LadyPictureShow posted:

My [19m] girlfriend [20f] thought I said something to her in the past when it was actually her friend and it makes me think she doesn’t ever pay attention to what I say

This one made me laugh.

The balls on this chick. Big 12lb balls.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What kind a ritzy, high class bowling alley makes you buy tickets in advance? Are the lanes made of marble or some poo poo?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

cumshitter posted:

What kind a ritzy, high class bowling alley makes you buy tickets in advance? Are the lanes made of marble or some poo poo?

Oh I see you've never been to a hipster bowling alley with 12 dollar cocktails and "elevated bar food"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

They're probably just crowded so they have a reservation system. That way you won't show up and just have to wait until a group leaves. Not that weird

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

Oh I see you've never been to a hipster bowling alley with 12 dollar cocktails and "elevated bar food"

Gentrifying the location where alcoholics go to have more floor sleeping space

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Drunk Nerds posted:

[35M] [24F]
This is literally all I needed to see. Apparently it's not common knowledge, but guys in their 30s trying to date college girls are stunted. No way around it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
My girlfriend [27F] assumed I was cheating and harmed my professional reputation [29M]. Am I being too harsh in response?
u/Gregory-Berrycone

quote:

I was abroad for work with minimal access to phone/internet except at the hotel, and she knew that. One night I was out late drinking with colleagues. No funny business was going on, honestly just drinking, having a few laughs and discussing our line of work. Girlfriend assumed I was out cheating, which while incorrect, it's not totally unreasonable to assume either as I'd probably worry too if she didn't contact me frequently if the situation were reversed. Edit: my point is not that I think it's acceptable to assume I was cheating, but just that if she wants to question what I was doing and where I was then I don't think that's a big deal, and I might ask similar questions if the situation were reversed. Anyway, instead of asking where I was or even making a fight when I got back to the hotel and we skyped, she contacted my employer before I even got a chance to answer. As revenge, she sent a screenshot of a joke I was once made that would be considered by most people as way too offensive to be said (i.e. something politically incorrect). Note that she was not offended by the joke and even found it funny when I said it a few months ago, but her intention was to harm my reputation. Now she has done permanent damage to my career. I won't be fired, but I work in a tight-knit technical community, and my reputation has been tarnished. Probably a few people would even laugh at this sort of joke, but in the current era it's very taboo.

Otherwise she and I have no problems. I told her there needs to be a consequence if she wants to stay with me. I worked drat hard and made sacrifices to get a PhD in this field, and now there is permanent damage just because of her incorrect assumption, and it's not something like an office job where I can go work somewhere else and be forgotten at the old place. I fully realize that what I said is reprehensible and disgusting for all but 10% of the population who will laugh at any dark joke, but that said, it wasn't her role to betray me over it. I mean if she disagreed with the joke and thinks I'm a scumbag, then yeah ruin my career, but that was not her motivation, she just wrongly thought I was cheating and wanted to do the most effective damage. She now admits that she was totally in the wrong. I can't just forgive this so easily though, as it is permanent damage and not just something that embarrassed me. In exchange, I made her delete our chatting history on all apps so it can never happen again, and I will be more careful with my words. I have never been the type of rear end in a top hat guy to ever check her or any ex gf's phone etc, but I have demanded her passwords for all chatting apps to verify that it is deleted so that next fight she can't do the same thing again. I also told her she should cancel her upcoming vacation with her friend. Note that I stayed around for a week after my work abroad finished, and she also totally ruined my vacation by putting a damper on the mood, so it seems fair. I'm not forcing her to do anything, as she is free to break up with me, and she totally agrees that there needs to be some sort of consequence for what she did. I also offered that she can find another way to "balance" the situation instead of cancelling the trip, but she has not proposed anything.

Am I being too harsh? I am open to suggestions.

tl;dr: Girlfriend wrongly assumed I was cheating and harmed my professional reputation in a major way and ruined my vacation. I cannot just simply forgive it, so I want her to cancel her vacation with a friend as a "punishment". Am I being too harsh?

Many people call him out on not just growing a set and ending the relationship like an adult. Also for feeling like “punishing” her is a good way to handle this.

OP posted:

I'm not trying to take advantage of the situation to control her, at least not outside this event. Otherwise I'm not that type of guy. While I'd prefer it all just never happened, as a second best option, I've told her that she either needs to have a "punishment" for her or "compensation" for me. Or we can break up, which she does not want, and I don't think I want it either (yeah yeah, I know). Anyway, I've told her that too as another option, where she does something positive. I'm not necessarily trying to extract something from her, but I'd be totally fine with if she completely paid for a vacation for us within a year. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem to like this option, and seems to like the cancelling one (even though money isn't a big issue in our circumstances).

No one asked what the career-ruining “joke” was and he doesn’t offer it up at any point in the comments that I could find. This is saddening.

burial fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 28, 2018

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

burial posted:

My girlfriend [27F] assumed I was cheating and harmed my professional reputation [29M]. Am I being too harsh in response?
u/Gregory-Berrycone

This one falls into the "You're both too stupid to live so stay together to protect the rest of humanity" category.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gently caress Your Website posted:

This one falls into the "You're both too stupid to live so stay together to protect the rest of humanity" category.

They're apparently both racists, and they're obviously miserable as a couple, so yes, they should stay together

as "punishment"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Living the dream

I [52F] and my husband [57M] are having issues with how to deal with my stay at home son [30M]

quote:

So 6 years ago my son was gainfully employed and seemed to be on a good track in life. Then one day at work he got injured, the ladder he was on gave out and he fell down. His leg was cut by the latter and he broke 2 fingers.

He sued and won a good sized settlement. He moved back home with us for a while because he wanted to use that settlement for a down payment on a house and figured he could save money by not paying rent. We obliged.

That was 6 years ago. Now he’s 30, living at home and doing absolutely nothing but smoking weed, getting drunk, playing video games and gambling online.

He still has money and apparently wins often enough on gambling that he doesn’t hurt for money, infact there’s been a couple of times where he tells us he won a few thousand on a bet. That’s good and all, he also pays the Internet and electric bills.

But he doesn’t leave the house! At all! And that is the problem. I’ll be honest, I love my son but I don’t want to live with him forever.

He orders food everyday, twice a day. He’s gained 200 pounds, doesn’t exercise, he doesn’t do poo poo except play his games and smoke more weed than willie Nelson.

My husband is okay with all of this because our son payed to repave our driveway and paint our kitchen. But what was also 5 years ago!

My son lives in our basement (lol yes I know the old joke). He has no social life whatsoever. But that wasn’t the case for the first couple of years. He had friends and girls over regularly but that stopped. He hasn’t spoken to anyone else but me, my husband and whoever delivers his food in years. Even our daughter cut ties with him when he didn’t go to her wedding.

I don’t want to say he has reverted because he doesn’t really ask us for anything. But still a 30 year old shouldn’t be living at home, not leaving the house for any reason.

I don’t know what to do anymore. My husband vetos my kick him out options so I’m stuck.

TLDR: my son stays home and doesn’t nothing at all

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I was gonna say it sounds like he's addicted but you can't be a gambling addict if you're winning, just a winner at that point.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lol that son owns. He's a failson but he's failed up and I'm mad jealous of his lifestyle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hes a complete sack of poo poo and also why I want minimum income in one convenient package.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LadyPictureShow posted:

This one made me laugh.

Good thing nobody ever has a bad memory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

dudeness posted:

I was gonna say it sounds like he's addicted but you can't be a gambling addict if you're winning, just a winner at that point.

Let's think critically about what's more likely. Is he an online gambling savant who makes tons of money and never has to worry about a thing?

Oooooooor does he mostly lose money but whenever he wins he makes sure to mention it to his mother?