Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Who knew cameras were digital and that good in '86? That thing is amazing considering it's age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Who knew cameras were digital and that good in '86? That thing is amazing considering it's age.

a car fresh out of the dealership doesn’t even look as clean as this. amazing indeed

what is 2500$ in todays dollars? i feel like that’s criminally lowballing yourself as a seller

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Old Binsby posted:

a car fresh out of the dealership doesn’t even look as clean as this. amazing indeed

what is 2500$ in todays dollars? i feel like that’s criminally lowballing yourself as a seller

About $5500, which is a fair price and might even still be lowballing it for a running vehicle in that good condition. Only 2WD but hey, gently caress it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/149881539287764

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The turbo engine isn't terrible. Convertible - eh. "Luxury" Sunbird - LOL.

quote:

Would. I'd prefer a 740/760/960 RWD wagon, but an 850 turbo brick-wagon would do. Too bad I'm in TX.

That is amazingly clean. No AC, though, which is probably fine for Portland, but is death in the south.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Has this been in a climate controlled hermetically sealed garage for the last 20 years?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
At the price you could probably flip that on bringatrailer for a solid profit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

The turbo engine isn't terrible. Convertible - eh. "Luxury" Sunbird - LOL.

I always thought of "LE and LX" models of cars to stand for Least EXpensive.

I know that sometimes the LX/LE trim is NOT the lowest end trim level

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

wesleywillis posted:

Honda used to have the most hilarious trim names for their low spec cars VP, CX, DX, HF
You knew you were getting quality

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Has this been in a climate controlled hermetically sealed garage for the last 20 years?

I bet it smells like an auto parts store in that car.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

That would be the VL = Value Leader. At least on my similar era Cavalier it was, and it came with no passenger side mirror from the factory.
I know, right?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Nashua :allears:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Why? Because rally car.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Nocheez posted:

That would be the VL = Value Leader. At least on my similar era Cavalier it was, and it came with no passenger side mirror from the factory.
I know, right?

This was a pretty common thing in the 70s and 80s, on both economy and sports cars. Not only did you save the mirror cost, but also a not insignificant amount of drag for the low low price of having to turn your head an extra 5 degrees every shoulder check.
My BMW came with a hosed LH and no RH mirror and while I picked up both sides from a junkyard Cutlass I'm fairly certain I'm going to leave the RH one off cause the visibility is pretty drat good without it. And yanno, Numbers Matching.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 3, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My 1971 Volvo 164 doesn't have a passenger mirror either. It's their "luxury" car and it's certainly not economical, so I don't know what was up.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

The Door Frame posted:

Honda used to have the most hilarious trim names for their low spec cars VP, CX, DX, HF
You knew you were getting quality

I liked Nissan’s use of “XE” for some of their models.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NumbersMatching320 posted:

This was a pretty common thing in the 70s and 80s, on both economy and sports cars. Not only did you save the mirror cost, but also a not insignificant amount of drag for the low low price of having to turn your head an extra 5 degrees every shoulder check.
My BMW came with a hosed LH and no RH mirror and while I picked up both sides from a junkyard Cutlass I'm fairly certain I'm going to leave the RH one off cause the visibility is pretty drat good without it. And yanno, Numbers Matching.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

NumbersMatching320 posted:

This was a pretty common thing in the 70s and 80s

It's been 20 years since I owned it, but it was definitely a 1991 or 1992 car. It was shocking how barebones that car was.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Nocheez posted:

It's been 20 years since I owned it, but it was definitely a 1991 or 1992 car. It was shocking how barebones that car was.

My 93 Capri has no driver side mirror and the passenger side is a plastic PLAYSKOOL mirror. It was built in Australia, so I assume that it was intended to be the driver's side, but they were too lazy to make a different one for the USDM

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

My 93 Capri has no driver side mirror and the passenger side is a plastic PLAYSKOOL mirror. It was built in Australia, so I assume that it was intended to be the driver's side, but they were too lazy to make a different one for the USDM

No, you've just got a hosed one. Google images says dual outside rearview mirrors is standard, as far as I can tell.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

No, you've just got a hosed one. Google images says dual outside rearview mirrors is standard, as far as I can tell.

Oh, I somehow thought we were talking about visor mirrors. Jesus I didn't even think that cars came with only one mirror after 1985

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, I somehow thought we were talking about visor mirrors. Jesus I didn't even think that cars came with only one mirror after 1985

Only the cheapest of the cheap.
And it's pretty standard until kind of recently for the visor mirror to only be on the passenger side, because that's where the women sat. I'm not kidding. I suppose there's a safety aspect, too, but misogyny was the main reason.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Only the cheapest of the cheap.
And it's pretty standard until kind of recently for the visor mirror to only be on the passenger side, because that's where the women sat. I'm not kidding. I suppose there's a safety aspect, too, but misogyny was the main reason.

one might also suggest that 1) the driver can use the rear-view mirror if required and 2) the driver should not be encouraged to use the visor mirror in any case

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dang

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 4, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My parents had an 84 Mercury Lynx with no passenger side mirror. And no AC, and an AM only radio.......

It was the Lynx L trim level. So cheap they didn't even make it an LX

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wesleywillis posted:

My parents had an 84 Mercury Lynx with no passenger side mirror. And no AC, and an AM only radio.......

It was the Lynx L trim level. So cheap they didn't even make it an LX

Pffft. That Lynx would be luxurious. Imagine growing up in a 78 Chevette.

God what a pile of poo poo those things were.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Love the old hatch ones. Seems priced decently and will get bought and die a painful, drifter death. I looked at getting one of these some time back but they're very hard to find not totally clapped out.

But then I'd be the one to make it clapped out instead. :v: Preferably with an LS swap. :getin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

one might also suggest that 1) the driver can use the rear-view mirror if required and 2) the driver should not be encouraged to use the visor mirror in any case

Oh, certainly, but ask you 1960-70s male heart what the true answer is.

edit: remember that "safety" consisted in being thrown clear of the car in this time period.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

This might be the worst band aided seat repair I've ever seen.
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/d/2001-mazda-miata-se-special/6705616082.html

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Not sure what the market is in Detroit, but $1900 for a 17 yr old car with 210k and no A/C :laffo:

I like the helmet in the passenger seat. Pretty clearly someone's autox/road course car.

e: just noticed the 'cryptocurrency ok'. Perfect.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It would be a decent donor car for a exocet or something, assuming the engine and trans aren't completely clapped out. I think it would be too many miles for me, though.

Market for used cars in Detroit is pretty terrible (rusty or very heavy on the domestic side), but there are some decent finds occasionally.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

hattersmad posted:

Not sure what the market is in Detroit, but $1900 for a 17 yr old car with 210k and no A/C :laffo:

I like the helmet in the passenger seat. Pretty clearly someone's autox/road course car.

e: just noticed the 'cryptocurrency ok'. Perfect.

It's bad. It's cheaper to import an NA Miata from Japan than to buy one here

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
wat, that cannot possibly be true given you're looking at least $2500 on top of auction price to get the thing to your door and registered

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
On what planet is $1900 too much for a running car that isn't literally falling apart?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Pretty sure that car is falling apart

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

wat, that cannot possibly be true given you're looking at least $2500 on top of auction price to get the thing to your door and registered

It's a bit disingenuous to say, but it is true with Jeep Wranglers, Miatas, and RWD Nissans if you want one with less than 100k miles, not rotted out from rust, and in good mechanical condition. The price for any of those with ~75k miles in ok condition here is way more expensive than the exact same car, but RHD with ~75k kilometers. The last time I was seriously looking, it was cheaper to import one and drive it home from Louisiana than to buy local

I love Chicago

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Door Frame posted:

It's a bit disingenuous to say, but it is true with Jeep Wranglers, Miatas, and RWD Nissans if you want one with less than 100k miles, not rotted out from rust, and in good mechanical condition. The price for any of those with ~75k miles in ok condition here is way more expensive than the exact same car, but RHD with ~75k kilometers. The last time I was seriously looking, it was cheaper to import one and drive it home from Louisiana than to buy local

I love Chicago

Just gotta rust proof any import you get because gawddamn will rust eat them alive.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Just gotta rust proof any import you get because gawddamn will rust eat them alive.

That's why cars are so expensive here, the rust eats everything
Although, I did find this gem

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/93-mazda-miata/6716305169.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Door Frame posted:

I love Chicago

drat, dude, you need to come down to Arizona. I've never seen rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

drat, dude, you need to come down to Arizona. I've never seen rust.

I think my next purchase will be from a place without rust. Getting it undercoated will be a small price to pay for a significantly cheaper, unrusted car