Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

womb with a view posted:

I spent a good chunk of the episode I was watching last night trying to figure out if Sisko really was wearing a carpet as a vest this time, I'm pretty sure I saw individual fibers.

Was it when they were just rolling out the new uniforms? IIRC, Brook’s uniform at first was someone else’s that straight up didn’t fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Don't forget, Romulus blew up and everybody died with no survivors

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

womb with a view posted:

Other DS9 writing credits from Hilary J. Bader, writer of "Explorers":

-The one where they go to the moon where everyone who dies is resurrected then ditch the Bajoran pope there
-The one where the lady Ferengi pretends to be a man
-The one where Jadzia decides she's going to run away with an extremely dull dimension hopping dude because he too wears facepaint, but then she doesn't

I'm watching Meridian next week, but from my recollection she actually does? It just doesn't work and they have to rescue her from phasing to death?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I'm watching Meridian next week, but from my recollection she actually does? It just doesn't work and they have to rescue her from phasing to death?

Yeah she tries to but can't.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Don't forget, Romulus blew up and everybody died with no survivors

Never forget :911:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

womb with a view posted:

Yeah she tries to but can't.

Jadzia is a sad combination of didn't have the chops and written dull as dishwater

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Explorers is great because Ben/Jake is always good and it features Bashir and O’Brien singing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jadzia got a whole lot better around season 3-4 when they leaned more into her “pansexual gently caress-fiend who just wants to party” side.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kibayasu posted:

Explorers is great because Ben/Jake is always good and it features Bashir and O’Brien singing.

It features Ben with both hair and goatee, his maximum level of power.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Al Borland Corpse posted:

It features Ben with both hair and goatee, his maximum level of power.

I thought that might be when that happened. It’s certainly his max Dad power.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

True but every time the conversation gets going the unnecessary plot device of the rickety Bajoran poo poo barge falls apart again and we need another scene of the two of them rotating a pair of cranks laboriously.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I like both Explorers and Battle Lines, so she's 50/50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCyowQs8dEA

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

womb with a view posted:

True but every time the conversation gets going the unnecessary plot device of the rickety Bajoran poo poo barge falls apart again and we need another scene of the two of them rotating a pair of cranks laboriously.

Smdh if you’ve never cranked with your dad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's how they charge dilithium crystals

The primary conflict of Mudd's Women, if the miners all get hotwives, they are not going to charge their crystals as much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gorelab posted:

I do really like Garrak kinda being like 'really dude' to Bashir's 'Oh no I'm 30 now!'

The ages of the characters always throws me the gently caress off, like I guess Kirk's supposed to be like 32 in S1 of TOS? And S1 Kira is supposed to be 26? Man, I've got some friends who are 32 and I wouldn't trust them with a starship. And I've got some friends who are 26 (and I wouldn't trust them with a houseplant).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

The ages of the characters always throws me the gently caress off, like I guess Kirk's supposed to be like 32 in S1 of TOS? And S1 Kira is supposed to be 26? Man, I've got some friends who are 32 and I wouldn't trust them with a starship. And I've got some friends who are 26 (and I wouldn't trust them with a houseplant).

Kira’s weird because Nana Visitor was like 35 in season 1 trying to pass for 26. I can buy Bashir being a 27 year old naive fuckboy at the beginning, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pick posted:

The ages of the characters always throws me the gently caress off, like I guess Kirk's supposed to be like 32 in S1 of TOS?

Kirk being ridiculously young to captain is brought up as a point though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

Kira’s weird because Nana Visitor was like 35 in season 1 trying to pass for 26. I can buy Bashir being a 27 year old naive fuckboy at the beginning, though.

Bashir is horny moron straight out of higher ed a.f., that's fine. It was more of a general statement. Like how there's a cut line from the pilot that implies that Odo might have been discovered in 2337, meaning he'd be 32 years post-nonsapient-goo and he's just all old man lookin' for some reason.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

they let the 15-year old drive a starship the size of a city

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

womb with a view posted:

Gotta crank it to get ready for hammock time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

Kira’s weird because Nana Visitor was like 35 in season 1 trying to pass for 26.

Also what's really crazy is Nana Visitor is like 60 and passing for 35 in reality

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FabioClone posted:

Well if we're going to accept "the Federation uses a neutral palette and references to Shakespeare to try to hide the fact that they're OSHA-breakin' space crazies" then yeah sure, but...!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

Also what's really crazy is Nana Visitor is like 60 and passing for 35 in reality

She looks like a 35 year old who just dyed her hair white as a joke. Woman’s got ridiculously good genes.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

FabioClone posted:

I mean, in a parking lot the size of a fuckin universe. Wesley sucks but he's no Tina Belcher

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's not her fault a catamaran flew in the window

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FabioClone posted:

To be fair, I remember an offhand comment in the Next Generation episode “When The Bough Breaks” where, like, a fourth grader was studying calculus in class as part of the regular curriculum.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pick posted:

Wesley created an entire civilization for a school science project once

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

Wesley created an entire civilization for a school science project once

Oh yeah, I remember that episode

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

The Federation neutral zone outposts are on the Federation border of the Neutral Zone. They don't have any actually inside it.

I think the Enterprise Incident is the only time the Federation just straight-up violates the zone without provocation. The Romulans seem to do it constantly, though.

TNG Contagion has not one but two Galaxy-class starships flying into the Neutral Zone on a hunch that there's buried treasure an Iconian base that the Romulans cannot be allowed to have.

TNG The Defector is... not quite without provocation, but is still essentially the Enterprise charging into the Neutral Zone to execute a pre-emptive strike against a suspected Romulan base.

tigersklaw posted:

I just finished watching TNG “The Minds Eye”, and I’m thinking, what is even the point of the Neutral Zone? The Romulans seemingly violate it everyday. And not just them entering the Zone, but blowing thru it and loving around in federation space. Like Geordi is flying to Risa and he gets abducted by a decloaked Bird of Prey, which would be like Russia sending a battleship up the Mississippi to kidnap fishing boats or something. The federation never does poo poo, or is never shown to do poo poo about this. I understand space is big etc, but why would anybody take you seriously if the treaties you sign are functionally worthless? Or is this just another example of the federation being the only ones who follow the rules (section 31 aside)?

That actually seems fairly true to life to me, borders have been violated before (and will be violated again) without it precipitating a war.

Escalation is very, very dangerous. The Federation would have to balance the risk of the incident escalating into a war against the benefit of reprisal. What kind of retaliation would make the Romulans less likely to violate the border in the future, while also not risking a war?

Also, the Romulans aren't the only game in town; theoretically, in negotiations with other space nations (especially ones that may border the Romulans), the Federation could point to their border with the Romulans and say "hey, look, we actually abide by our treaties; who would you rather deal with?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Treaty of Algeron is pretty BS in how it lets the Romulans use cloaking tech but bars the Federation from doing the same. The UFP can’t even research it according to ‘The Pegasus’

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Treaty of Algeron is pretty BS in how it lets the Romulans use cloaking tech but bars the Federation from doing the same. The UFP can’t even research it according to ‘The Pegasus’

A lot of treaties are like that. It was just a Status Quo lock.

I think it was presumed that the Feds had a lot more ships and people and the cloak leveled the playing field anyhow

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Exclusivity on cloaking tech is not very useful, since maintaining the status quo on it locks you into a red queen's race with federation sensor tech.

But federation sensor tech upgrades have all sorts of additional uses beyond detecting cloaked ships. So the romulans spend their research budget keeping the status quo, and the federation can detect an individual's DNA in a different solar system.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

the federation can detect an individual's DNA in a different solar system.

And then beam it right out of them from across the quadrant, maybe

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Exclusivity on cloaking tech is not very useful, since maintaining the status quo on it locks you into a red queen's race with federation sensor tech.

But federation sensor tech upgrades have all sorts of additional uses beyond detecting cloaked ships. So the romulans spend their research budget keeping the status quo, and the federation can detect an individual's DNA in a different solar system.

Hell, even DS9's sensors can pick up cloaked Romulan ships, as seen in that one episode where O'Brien gets body-swapped with O'Brien from several hours in the future.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hell, even DS9's sensors can pick up cloaked Romulan ships, as seen in that one episode where O'Brien gets body-swapped with O'Brien from several hours in the future.

Not a fair comparison because once O'Brien gets his hands on them, the sensors can probably detect the idea of a cloaked ship in the fluidic space Mirror Universe.

Unless it's the Dominion and/or the plot calls for it, obviously

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Bloop posted:

Not a fair comparison because once O'Brien gets his hands on them, the sensors can probably detect the idea of a cloaked ship in the fluidic space Mirror Universe.

“Captain, sensors are detecting we’re a fictional universe being observed over television”

Everyone turns and stares into the camera for 41 minutes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

“Captain, sensors are detecting we’re a fictional universe being observed over television”

Everyone turns and stares into the camera for 41 minutes

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a justification for Roddenberry saying the Federation shouldn't have cloaking. According to him, cloaking and sneaking around are things bad guys do. Not things good guys do. The Treaty of Algeron was invented to shut up the nerds asking why the Enterprise didn't have a cloak.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

It's a justification for Roddenberry saying the Federation shouldn't have cloaking. According to him, cloaking and sneaking around are things bad guys do. Not things good guys do. The Treaty of Algeron was invented to shut up the nerds asking why the Enterprise didn't have a cloak.

The Enterprise is a Paladin
The Excelsior is a Cleric
The Defiant is a Fighter
Romulan Warbird is an Assassin
Klingon BoP is a Rogue
USS Voyager is a bard