Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trying to get on sessions's good side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

all the same, :rip: josh newman

and gently caress ling ling chang

DNC did that man dirty he needed help and left him to the wolfs.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
California Law Bans Bots From Pretending to Be Human

quote:

Effective July 1, it will be illegal for bots interacting with California consumers to pretend they're human if they're trying to sell goods, services, or to 'influence a vote in an election.'

Disastrous news for the Newsom campaign.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How does that apply to all those "HI IM ONLINE NOW HIT CHAT NOW" popups that are in everything from Cable to Car Dealer websites?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

presumably they just have to state they're bots and not humans?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i used to have really graphic saying for people i hate, but honestly i just want them to stop being so objectively awful.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

What's great about Feinstein is you know exactly what you're getting. I mean, what you're getting is poo poo on repeatedly, but it's nice to have some consistency in the world, yeah? The sun rises in the East, water is wet, Feinstein is worthless garbage.

Still would be nice if someone would please find her phylactery already.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I mean I realize this doesn't really have much real impact on anyone but undecided olds and... I dunno, high school seniors doing a civics assignment, but lol:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

incoherent posted:

DNC did that man dirty he needed help and left him to the wolfs.

my california democratic party friends canvassing in that district before june had the sense that newman was hosed and that voters were mad about the gas tax, which, i guess isn't really the case anymore especially in LA/OC

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm NOT John "Holes in His Brain" Cox is enough of a candidate's statement tbf

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Liking the GOP candidate using the word "class"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cross-Section posted:

I mean I realize this doesn't really have much real impact on anyone but undecided olds and... I dunno, high school seniors doing a civics assignment, but lol:

Gavin had a statement but then Brown told him he intended to sign the law about robots not being able to make political statements unless they reveal their true nature, and he had to quickly pull it.

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Cross-Section posted:

See, this self confidence really annoys me. He's a bland candidate with vague policies that are worded just right to make it seem like it appeals to everyone, and seems to barely put in any effort. This kind of inevitability towards his election could be horribly devastating for himself if a somewhat competent challenger ever appeared for the next election. Hell, even this kind of attitude can negatively affect lower profile races & candidates since many might think 'well, he's going to win, so why bother?'

He just seems to be a slightly different version of Hillary but with slightly more overtures to the progressive wing. Or a replicant. :tinfoil:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

Gavin had a statement but then Brown told him he intended to sign the law about robots not being able to make political statements unless they reveal their true nature, and he had to quickly pull it.

:vince:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sydin posted:

This is very very funny

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GodDamnArtist posted:

See, this self confidence really annoys me. He's a bland candidate with vague policies that are worded just right to make it seem like it appeals to everyone, and seems to barely put in any effort. This kind of inevitability towards his election could be horribly devastating for himself if a somewhat competent challenger ever appeared for the next election. Hell, even this kind of attitude can negatively affect lower profile races & candidates since many might think 'well, he's going to win, so why bother?'

He just seems to be a slightly different version of Hillary but with slightly more overtures to the progressive wing. Or a replicant. :tinfoil:

relax, when has a blank slate whitebread democrat not bothering to campaign in a gimme election ever gone wrong?

Sydin posted:

lol

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1047563080987602944

*edit* sorry, this was supposed to go in the Trump thread.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 3, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Well when leading democrats take the principled stance of *checks* maintaining status quo, it's sorta hard to be enthusiastic.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nancy-pelosi-brett-kavanaugh_us_5bb39e6fe4b0d1ebe0e56105

quote:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said she would not push to impeach Brett Kavanaugh if Democrats retake the majority in next month’s midterm elections, saying it will not be a focus of the party.

“Let’s take it one day at a time. We are not about impeachment,” Pelosi said at the Atlantic Festival in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday.

“That would not be my plan,” she added, saying Democrats are “not about dividing the country. We’re about ‘E pluribus unum.’”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

GrandpaPants posted:

Well when leading democrats take the principled stance of *checks* maintaining status quo, it's sorta hard to be enthusiastic.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nancy-pelosi-brett-kavanaugh_us_5bb39e6fe4b0d1ebe0e56105

Holy cow, Nancy Pelosi speaking in platitudes in order to give Republicans nothing to run on?

This is a new development and certainly not what she's done for the entire past 2 years.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

Holy cow, Nancy Pelosi speaking in platitudes in order to give Republicans nothing to run on?

This is a new development and certainly not what she's done for the entire past 2 years.

This isn't some campaign strategy, she's actually factually worthless.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This isn't some campaign strategy, she's actually factually worthless.

¿Por que no los dos?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pelosi took a pass on an obvious gotcha question designed to enrage republican voters. It's a nothingburger.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Leperflesh posted:

Pelosi took a pass on an obvious gotcha question designed to enrage republican voters. It's a nothingburger.

yeah its not like she has a history of quashing impeachment bills against criminals, war or otherwise!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Irrespective of whether Pelosi is good or bad, her declining to take the bait on that question is meaningless noise.

e.
Just to be clear, even if she was 100% going to push for his impeachment, she should deny it categorically right now. The only thing doing anything else would accomplish is refocusing apathetic, discouraged republicans on her as the person to defeat in November. She knows she's used that way by Republicans nationwide. She should keep her goddamn head down and say nothing of consequence between now and the midterms, no matter what.

If you want to have a side discussion about how Pelosi sucks, well, I'm game; she sucks.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

is it really declining to take the bait if you never had any intention of doing it anyway

like, she's just speaking the truth, she will do nothing if kavanaugh manages to pass the extremely low bar of "being confirmed by this senate"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If the democrats retake the house she is probably not going to get to be speaker. It won't be her decision.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Feel free to rage against Nancy but what she is doing there is obvious.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

¿Por que no los dos?

Yeah, you're right.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Irrespective of whether Pelosi is good or bad, her declining to take the bait on that question is meaningless noise.

e.
Just to be clear, even if she was 100% going to push for his impeachment, she should deny it categorically right now. The only thing doing anything else would accomplish is refocusing apathetic, discouraged republicans on her as the person to defeat in November. She knows she's used that way by Republicans nationwide. She should keep her goddamn head down and say nothing of consequence between now and the midterms, no matter what.

If you want to have a side discussion about how Pelosi sucks, well, I'm game; she sucks.

"It's more important to not motivate your opponent's voters rather than encourage your voters to show up" is a strategy that's consistently failed for the Democrats. Hiding your intentions as a politician is foolish, and as a voter you should punish any politician that votes differently than what they campaign on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Euphoriaphone posted:

"It's more important to not motivate your opponent's voters rather than encourage your voters to show up" is a strategy that's consistently failed for the Democrats. Hiding your intentions as a politician is foolish, and as a voter you should punish any politician that votes differently than what they campaign on.

Pelosi isn't a leader of enthusiasm with in the party. She knows this. Her job is to do the dirty work in DC and not give the GOP easy sound bites.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

and as a voter you should punish any politician that votes differently than what they campaign on.

well thankfully for nancy that isn't going to be an issue in this case.

republicans are already going to tie every democrat candidate to pelosi and then ascribe an agenda to pelosi that she would never ever do regardless of what she says.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Pelosi isn't a leader of enthusiasm with in the party. She knows this. Her job is to do the dirty work in DC and not give the GOP easy sound bites.

Impeaching Kavanaugh (assuming he gets seated), is something the Democratic base wants. Why should we hide our progressive positions as if they're something to be ashamed of? This is exactly why the Democratic base's enthusiasm is in the toilet. She definitively said they would not impeach. If she really didn't want to give a soundbite, she'd just say something like "we'll discuss our options regarding Kavanaugh's position in the event that he is confirmed" or something else that pivots. Instead she gave a soundbite that will depress Democratic turnout while doing nothing to affect Republican turnout at all, because anyone pulling the lever for the GOP at this point doesn't need encouragement, and never has.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I get it. Pelosi bad.

I'm explaining why she said this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

she said it because she's bad dude not because she's playing political 10th dimensional chess

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IF there is the slightest chance that the Kavanaugh appointment does not go through - and there is, with probably Murkowski out and possibly Collins out - then Pelosi proclaiming in front page headlines (which is what they would be) that the Dems are threatening to impeach if he's seated could easily tip one or both of them into the Yes column.

Even if that's absolutely the intention.

Enraging the R base today means putting more pressure on those two republicans to confirm. It would be stupid and counterproductive. This isn't N-dimensional chess, it's basic elementary politics.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

she said it because she's bad dude not because she's playing political 10th dimensional chess

LOL if you think that's 10th dimensional political chess and not like half a dimension, but I get it. Pelosi Bad.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

IF there is the slightest chance that the Kavanaugh appointment does not go through - and there is, with probably Murkowski out and possibly Collins out - then Pelosi proclaiming in front page headlines (which is what they would be) that the Dems are threatening to impeach if he's seated could easily tip one or both of them into the Yes column.

Even if that's absolutely the intention.

Enraging the R base today means putting more pressure on those two republicans to confirm. It would be stupid and counterproductive. This isn't N-dimensional chess, it's basic elementary politics.

cool, looking forward to her flip after kavanaugh gets confirmed then

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cool, looking forward to her flip after kavanaugh gets confirmed then

Impeachment will have to wait till they have a majority in the house; and as I said before, it's unlikely she'll be speaker in that event. So she won't have the option of "flipping" as you say.

Moreover I also made it quite clear that she should say what she's saying now irrespective of whether she actually intends to impeach or support impeachment: I am in no way claiming that she'll actually support or call for impeachment, because, as I also said: I agree that she sucks.

The only point I'm making here is that it would be stupid for any democratic member of the house, right now, to call for Kavanaugh's impeachment. No matter what their intentions. Even if they don't suck.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what if their intention is to get people to vote for them and win elections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

then they can wait till after the confirmation vote and then go ham