Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Don't forget to get your free chopsticks at Uwajimaya (with $19.28 min purchase) this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

RuanGacho posted:

The good Taco Times (NW) don't have the "taco sauce". Its pretty obvious we're talking about very different things.

I mean the one I'm thinking of had the Crisp Meat Burritos and Mexi-Fries and poo poo like that as well as the infamous Ice Cream Taco which is one of those things you absolutely should not eat in your adulthood because it will spoil your memories of childhood.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Taco Time isn't Mexican food. You don't compare it to a taco truck. Ever.

They're also hilariously expensive.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

George posted:

They're also hilariously expensive.

Except their pricing is pretty much the same as any other fast food place

But if there's a $1 taco truck anywhere near you just go there instead you dumb nerds

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Are your cups Orange or Green?

https://www.tacotime.com/food/index.html

https://tacotimenw.com/

It looks like the two entities basically went through an amicable divorce and now do their own "taco" things.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 5, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I went to a truck near my work today and the burrito was $7.

It was also delicious and convenient so whatever I will eat it.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I went to a truck near my work today and the burrito was $7.

It was also delicious and convenient so whatever I will eat it.

Gotta love the PNW. Is it just me or do all of the taco trucks seem to be Oaxaca style? Not that it's bad, but I do miss Sonora/Chihuahua/NM style...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Spergin Morlock posted:

Gotta love the PNW. Is it just me or do all of the taco trucks seem to be Oaxaca style? Not that it's bad, but I do miss Sonora/Chihuahua/NM style...
As a white boy, I could not begin to tell you what the difference is

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

anthonypants posted:

As a white boy, I could not begin to tell you what the difference is

I grew up in the Phoenix area so I previously had access to a highly segmented Mexican food market. Of course dim sum was basically non-existent there so it's been a trade-off.

Edit: also the seafood options there were... not good.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I like California Burrito on 99

No shame in love for the California Burrito Kitchen.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
What’re real estate prices in Bellingham like? I’m living right now in the UK but I’m from Victoria originally and would love to return to the PNW and a job posting there unexpectedly just opened up. Can you have a decent quality of life living in Bellingham on a reasonable salary, or is it like Vancouver in that you can’t live within 3 hours of the big city without selling a few organs to buy a decent house?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

MeinPanzer posted:

What’re real estate prices in Bellingham like? I’m living right now in the UK but I’m from Victoria originally and would love to return to the PNW and a job posting there unexpectedly just opened up. Can you have a decent quality of life living in Bellingham on a reasonable salary, or is it like Vancouver in that you can’t live within 3 hours of the big city without selling a few organs to buy a decent house?

Bellingham is close to Western Washington University and has some cheaper housing as a result, it's about a 3.5 hour drive from everywhere else.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

MeinPanzer posted:

Unless you're talking about Vancouver, WA, Bellingham has basically zero on common with Vancouver BC.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

Bellingham is close to Western Washington University and has some cheaper housing as a result, it's about a 3.5 hour drive from everywhere else.

I considered moving up there a while back because my wife had a job at the school. I didn’t see much to buy that was incredibly affordable, it was definitely less than Seattle but not really “cheap”. Also with the lack of job prospects it makes even the cheaper housing seem pretty risky.

If you want to rent a room I’m sure you can find something reasonable, but raising a family and owning a home is a different story.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ElCondemn posted:

I considered moving up there a while back because my wife had a job at the school. I didn’t see much to buy that was incredibly affordable, it was definitely less than Seattle but not really “cheap”. Also with the lack of job prospects it makes even the cheaper housing seem pretty risky.

If you want to rent a room I’m sure you can find something reasonable, but raising a family and owning a home is a different story.

Western Washington is basically US London with less baggage from what I understand so if brexit suddenly causes a large influx of slightly affluent emotionally repressed bakers I won't be surprised.

powerful drum sound
Mar 18, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

Washington has one of the highest Oaxaqueño populations in the country, mainly due to the migrant workers in northern county fields. Lots of Triqui, Mixtec speakers, especially in Skagit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

We got some decent NM out here in North Bend. Little mom and pop place called Rio Bravo.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

We got some decent NM out here in North Bend. Little mom and pop place called Rio Bravo.

I'll have to check it out one of these days after work. Thanks for the rec!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just make sure not to go to other two Mexican places, they're terrible and bland.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

Just make sure not to go to other two Mexican places, they're terrible and bland.

I have a counter-recommendation. It's not exactly authentic but Cactus in downtown Bellevue has the best guacamole I've had since moving here. Definitely worth a try.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Spergin Morlock posted:

I have a counter-recommendation. It's not exactly authentic but Cactus in downtown Bellevue has the best guacamole I've had since moving here. Definitely worth a try.

Cactus is awful, and only good if you compare it to Azteca or Ooba Tooba.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DevNull posted:

Cactus is awful, and only good if you compare it to Azteca or Ooba Tooba.

I'm talking about the guacamole specifically.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

All this is making me sad, this week might have been the last week for peppers, tomatoes, and tomatillos from the csa.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The nachos at Cactus are my favorite nachos. They lose a couple points for ditching the large nachos they would deliver in a paella pan though. Sorry, I grew up in the midwest.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So the apartment I will move into says I need renters insurance. They say it typically costs $10 per month. Is this true?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

So the apartment I will move into says I need renters insurance. They say it typically costs $10 per month. Is this true?

True in WA. You don't typically need to get it through them though. Cost wise I mean I don't know about mandate.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mine cost about $75 for a year

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's what I used to pay ten years ago. It's like car insurance in that (if you do it right) it protects you from catastrophic damages to not only your stuff, but that of everyone else in your building so that one leak or accidental fire doesn't put you into bankruptcy. If your parents aren't rich and paying your rent, you should carry renter's insurance.

With rents being what they are, this should be a no brainer.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Renters insurance can actually offer some pretty solid coverage and it's generally really affordable. Especially when compared to car insurance.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

If you have car insurance, you may be able to bundle it for free.

I think I pay around $90 a year, but I have extra liability coverage because I have exposed piping, live above a restaurant, and used to work for a law firm that does insurance defense, so I've seen all the low-percentage crazy poo poo that happens and that I don't ever want to be responsible for.

Talk to an independent insurance agent if you don't have other insurance. There's one in Belltown that took way more time with me than she needed to (given how loving cheap renters insurance is), and was super helpful.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://mynorthwest.com/1133203/humpback-whales-under-boat-puget-sound/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Thanks for the responses.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

That poor bastard.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
How long till a cop shoots a whale

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Peachfart posted:

El Rinconcito is good Mexican fast food.
Taco Time is solid and fairly tasty ultra Americanized fast food.
Taco Bell is garbage trash for idiots.

hth

Taco Time is where you go when you want food that's worse than Taco Bell while pretending you're a better person than to eat at Taco Bell

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don’t know this for certain but I’m pretty sure there are way more taco times than Taco Bells in the Seattle area so it’s more likely that you go to taco time because you want fast American Mexican food but don’t want to drive three miles out of your way to burien or whatever.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Taco Time is where you go when you want food that's worse than Taco Bell while pretending you're a better person than to eat at Taco Bell

Taco Time is better food than than Taco Bell.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Call me Ishmael, Becky.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Taco Time or Taco Time NW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I don’t know this for certain but I’m pretty sure there are way more taco times than Taco Bells in the Seattle area so it’s more likely that you go to taco time because you want fast American Mexican food but don’t want to drive three miles out of your way to burien or whatever.
North Aurora, Queen Anne, Rainier, SODO, Northgate, and Lake City all have Taco Bells.

I only mention Lake City because that place got me my food in less time than it took me to pee, and was so clean I could have eaten off the floor.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is accurate.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Taco Time or Taco Time NW?

Taco Time NW, unless we've started letting people from Yakima into this thread.