Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Brawnfire posted:

"You have to stop this, Captain."

Picard held up his tiny Troi. "But you're here too, Deanna! Can't you see? We're all here! And we never die. In my little Enterprise, no one dies. There are no Borg. There is no pain. ". He gingerly placed tiny Troi on the miniature bridge. "There now, what do you think?"

"I think it's just fine, Captain." Said Tiny Troi.

"Just fine," nodded the Captain, content.

Is this a parody of something? It's somewhat familiar feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's evocative of a scene from Spaceballs but different in context

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nullsmack posted:

In my head I saw Stan Smith making his little basement world in American Dad. "We'll live a lie but never die!"

It does seem like there's something else it reminds me of. I'm not going searching around my brain though, I'm in too good a mood.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Data, why is Spot morbidly obese.

My research into feline dietary requirements indicates that the 20th century food item known as "cheeseburgers" are preferred by housecats. After an prolonged experiment to see if Spot truly prefers a cheeseburger to his previous 2,385,894 feline nutritional supplements, I have been feeding him exclusively cheeseburgers twice a day for the past 7.38 months.

*a pitiful, congested mewl, begging for the release of death*

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
Your predilection for baked pasta dishes aside,
An aversion to Mondays this android can abide.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Picard: Before we attempt to leave the asteroid I'd like a wider view.

Lt. Barclay: Did the Pegasus phase cloak work? Are we...

Data: Intangible. Bet you did not think so. I command you to. Panoramic view, sir, I'll make it all manageable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Picard: Before we attempt to leave the asteroid I'd like a wider view.

Lt. Barclay: Did the Pegasus phase cloak work? Are we...

Data: Intangible. Bet you did not think so. I command you to. Panoramic view, sir, I'll make it all manageable.

"Curious. Are 'happy' and 'feeling glad' two distinct emotions?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
Your predilection for baked pasta dishes aside,
An aversion to Mondays this android can abide.

I approve of this sort of thing

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Nullsmack posted:

Indian in the Cupboard

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

Us talentless hacks need to see you and Phlyodox in a doodle duel for our entertainment.

nah but enjoy spider odo threat levels

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd make an anime joke but this thread gets weird enough already.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Computer, make an anime joke capable of amusing this thread.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
no! no anime!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Take it easy you people, jeez.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pick posted:

You've done something here and I don't have the language to really say what it is but I'm feeling super positive about it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

In my head I can hear the "Quaaaarrrrrrk" starting squeaky but getting louder and deeper.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I finished DS9 last night. Lol @ Jake looking up into the wormhole thinking “I guess my dads in there for some reason”

This series had waaaaay too much big band.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mllaneza posted:

Computer, make an anime joke capable of amusing this thread.

is this your way of saying "turn left, troi! nooooooooooo"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brawnfire posted:

In my head I saw Stan Smith making his little basement world in American Dad. "We'll live a lie but never die!"

It does seem like there's something else it reminds me of. I'm not going searching around my brain though, I'm in too good a mood.

It's reminiscent of Roddenberry's notes on Ron Moore's first script, "The Bonding," in which he said that by the 24th century, humans had moved beyond the need to grieve and feel loss.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I watched a lot of DS9 but I don't remember, was Ro ever in DS9? Seems like she'd be a good fit for the Maquis storyline..

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

DuhSal posted:

I watched a lot of DS9 but I don't remember, was Ro ever in DS9? Seems like she'd be a good fit for the Maquis storyline..

No but she was supposed to be. The Memory Alpha section about this is interesting and contains some stuff I never knew:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ro_Laren posted:

During the production of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, it was intended that Ro Laren be the first officer of Deep Space 9 under Benjamin Sisko's command. Michelle Forbes turned down the offer and the character was modified and became the basis for Kira Nerys. (The Making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

In the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine bible of April 1992, Ro Laren's entry stated, "Established on ST:TNG. She is properly addressed as Lieutenant Ro since Bajorans put their family names first. (Note: She will receive a promotion from Ensign to Lieutenant on an episode of ST:TNG before this series begins.) As a Bajoran, Ro cares passionately about her people's independence. That's why she volunteered for duty on the space station. Sisko originally refused to accept her transfer...He didn't want anything to do with someone with her undistinguished service record and reputation. But during the first episode, she proves her value to him and becomes his first officer." In Jadzia Dax's entry in the bible, a friendship between Ro and Jadzia was suggested: "Ro, who forms a very close relationship with Dax, often tells her to loosen up. Dax admires Ro for her youthful energy, her purpose and her drive and becomes something of a mentor to her." In Odo's entry, Ro "finds Odo's negative attitude to authority delightful and they have a Bajoran fellowship." The bible entry for Quark posited that he and Ro would become adversaries. (The Making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

An unproduced Star Trek: Voyager script was to have featured a flashback to Tom Paris' time at Starfleet Academy, showing that he and Ro were classmates.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DuhSal posted:

No. Originally, Ro Laren was supposed to be Sisko's first officer, but Michelle Forbes wasn't interested in the role, so they created Kira instead and put Ro on a maquis bus in the last season of TNG.

E:beaten

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kaysette posted:

No but she was supposed to be. The Memory Alpha section about this is interesting and contains some stuff I never knew:

In the DS9 books for "season 8", Ro Laren takes over as security officer on DS9 and makes friends with Quark.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love Ds9 but it is a cold hard fact that one must never, ever ask writers what they "intended to do next" because that summons Goofblaxis, the demon of bad ideas (see JK Rowling).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love it, there were almost even fewer unique and entertaining Bajoran characters

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

I love Ds9 but it is a cold hard fact that one must never, ever ask writers what they "intended to do next" because that summons Goofblaxis, the demon of bad ideas (see JK Rowling).

Ext. SPACE - BAJORAN SYSTEM

Jake and Kira look on as we pull away from DS9. Further and further until it is nothing but another star against the backdrop. The camera turns toward Bajor and its sun, which has been replaced by Sisko’s floating head - massive, glowing, and smiling warmly across the universe.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can't imagine Ro being all starry-eyed at Cloud Odo. Just standing there sullenly as the music swells for this important moment.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Pakled posted:

No. Originally, Ro Laren was supposed to be Sisko's first officer, but Michelle Forbes wasn't interested in the role, so they created Kira instead and put Ro on a maquis bus in the last season of TNG.

E:beaten

I also remember reading somewhere that Ro was also suppose to be the Maquis first officer on Voyager, but Forbes once again turned them down.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BrandonGK posted:

I also remember reading somewhere that Ro was also suppose to be the Maquis first officer on Voyager, but Forbes once again turned them down.

If this is true, then that makes me even more angry at the version of Voyager we never got.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Forbes wasn't a fan of Ro I take it

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm glad she turned down DS9, Kira is one of my favorite characters.

I'm mad she turned down Voyager, Ro's more interesting than like 90% of that cast. Replacing Chakotay with Ro would have been amazing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Seriously Voyager seemed to have been plagued by a weird amount of “we had this fantastic idea, but we couldn’t do it” problems

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Seriously Voyager seemed to have been plagued by a weird amount of “we had this fantastic idea, but Rick Berman and Brannon Braga” problems

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Brawnfire posted:

Forbes wasn't a fan of Ro I take it

Probably not for 26 episodes a season. Production of a weekly TV drama is helluva grind.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BrandonGK posted:

Probably not for 26 episodes a season. Production of a weekly TV drama is helluva grind.
I mean, she got third billed cast in a Kevin Spacey movie in '94 and probably thought her movie career was about to grow; Star Trek would have been a step backwards if she was trying for the big screen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nana Visitor also had major (hah) reservations about signing on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
She was so good as Miranda Zero in that Global Frequency pilot. :sigh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Whalley posted:

I mean, she got third billed cast in a Kevin Spacey movie in '94 and probably thought her movie career was about to grow; Star Trek would have been a step backwards if she was trying for the big screen.

Spacey was a nobody actor until The Usual Suspects in 1995. (And then he went through the weird phase that Tommy Lee Jones did, and now Liam Neeson, of trying to be an action star.)

Forbes declined because she didn't want to spend nine or ten months out of the year playing pretend on a space station. I believe that was also the time that she was starting to line up her Homicide gig.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Whalley posted:

I'm glad she turned down DS9, Kira is one of my favorite characters.

I'm mad she turned down Voyager, Ro's more interesting than like 90% of that cast. Replacing Chakotay with Ro would have been amazing.

They would have ruined her too. Remember, Berman wanted the actors playing humans to be walking mannequins so the aliens would "pop" more. Forbes just has too much emotional range for that crap.

The_Doctor posted:

She was so good as Miranda Zero in that Global Frequency pilot. :sigh:

It wasn't bad. I liked her a lot in BSG and her role in True Blood was a real gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Another yeoman has finally been reduced to a cube and crushed.

Celeste Yarnall, who portrayed Yeoman Landon, dead at 74.
https://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2018/10/star-trek-actress-and-elvis-presley-co-star-dead-at-74/

As always, the news stories all give top billing to the one Star Trek guest spot she did more than fifty years ago. I guess that's the price you pay for a lifetime of being able to get convention gigs whenever you want...