Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Absolutely lovely

EDIT:
Oh, and votes for the routes:

1) Juri - the guys seem very blah or creepy and Utena is clearly Anthy turf. Don't wanna piss her off.
2) ???? so much mystery~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
1) Juri
2) Juri again Miki

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
1) Jury
2) No One.

You give that girl a supportive relationship, damnit.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

This sentence makes absolutely no sense.

I think she's saying "I had a pretty rough time too, although it wasn't on my first day" (which makes sense if you assume that the first episode of Utena anime isn't Utena's very first day, which was discussed earlier in the thread), so she's trying to be sympathetic.

1. Jury
2. Touga

Touga is voiced by Koyasu, which is reason enough to take his fully voice-acted route.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Ace of Aces posted:

I think she's saying "I had a pretty rough time too, although it wasn't on my first day" (which makes sense if you assume that the first episode of Utena anime isn't Utena's very first day, which was discussed earlier in the thread), so she's trying to be sympathetic.
That is the intent. And then she clarifies what she's talking about in the second line.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh boy fanart :swoon:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Keeping the vote open for another day, but tallying now so that it's easier to keep track from here:

Jury: 20
???: 10
Utena: 7
Miki: 6
Touga: 4
Saionji: 2
No One: 2

I have the feeling that you all are mirroring the experience of many a Japanese girl back in 1998 whose parents assumed she was playing this game over all the cute boys, but was actually secretly "JURI-ONEE-SAMA :swoon:" the whole way through.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Patter Song posted:

Keeping the vote open for another day, but tallying now so that it's easier to keep track from here:

Jury: 20
???: 10
Utena: 7
Miki: 6
Touga: 4
Saionji: 2
No One: 2

I have the feeling that you all are mirroring the experience of many a Japanese girl back in 1998 whose parents assumed she was playing this game over all the cute boys, but was actually secretly "JURI-ONEE-SAMA :swoon:" the whole way through.

More like Juri is most likely to be a healthy relationship, haha. Two of them have Yandere hiding in the background, Saionji IS one, and Touga is...Touga. :colbert:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

bluerocker posted:

More like Juri is most likely to be a healthy relationship, haha. Two of them have Yandere hiding in the background, Saionji IS one, and Touga is...Touga. :colbert:

Counterpoint: Shiori.

(Who isn't actually in the game, because the game is set before Shiori transferred back to Ohtori, but her shadow is definitely over every scene Jury is in.)

Can Jury truly love anyone else while her heart is still in the chains of that locket?

...Anyway, thread, I do have a question. Day 2 has a lot more choices than Day 1.

Would you mind shorter, more frequent updates? And by shorter I mean "two-three minutes of gameplay" short.

Or would you rather I just go by the mood of the thread (like you all clearly want to get into Jury's pants, are fondly-disposed to Utena and Miki, interested in ???, and hostile to Touga and Saionji) for minor votes and just let you make major ones?

This isn't a vote. I'm trying to feel out your thoughts/open to suggestions.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Patter Song posted:

Or would you rather I just go by the mood of the thread (like you all clearly want to get into Jury's pants, are fondly-disposed to Utena and Miki, interested in ???, and hostile to Touga and Saionji) for minor votes and just let you make major ones?

I would prefer this, personally. Voting is fun but it might make the LP a bit staggered, and I trust you to make good decisions!

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

(like you all clearly want to get into Jury's pants, are fondly-disposed to Utena and Miki, interested in ???, and hostile to Touga and Saionji)

That's because we're not appreciating Touga's voice acting :colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Touga
Juri

Since Wakaba is not an option

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Patter Song posted:

Yah.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, I remember the day I met my future wife, when she ominously told me that I would disappear once she defeated someone in a ritualistic duel. Good memories.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Dallbun posted:

Ah, I remember the day I met my future wife, when she ominously told me that I would disappear once she defeated someone in a ritualistic duel. Good memories.

I've heard of weirder "boy girl meets girl" stories in anime. :shrug:

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Too bad we can't romance Akiogood thing we will probably just end up sleeping with him anyway.

For my vote: Juri because she raised a lot of questions to me when I first saw this show that I wouldn't be able to answer for years.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Counterpoint: Shiori.

(Who isn't actually in the game, because the game is set before Shiori transferred back to Ohtori, but her shadow is definitely over every scene Jury is in.)

Can Jury truly love anyone else while her heart is still in the chains of that locket?

...Anyway, thread, I do have a question. Day 2 has a lot more choices than Day 1.

Would you mind shorter, more frequent updates? And by shorter I mean "two-three minutes of gameplay" short.

This isn't a vote. I'm trying to feel out your thoughts/open to suggestions.

makes sense that shiori's not appearing at this point in the series timeline, but she's my favorite non-duelist character and i want to see more of her :smith:

and yeah i trust you with taking the reins for minor choices too. i don't want that kind of responsibility anymore

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I also agree with you trusting the audience's general vibe with decisions. Micro updates are how good LPs die.

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?
I'd like to vote for Jury and ???, just because they do genuinely seem to be the best choices

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
OK, calling the vote. We are going to tell Wakaba that we're interested in Jury and ???, and I'm just going to deal with some minor choices on my own, if they're so soon after the last vote as to yield a microupdate.

(For example, immediately after we talk to Wakaba, we'll have a choice whether to chat with Utena before class or just wait for class to start. It'd be very annoying to have to take another vote for that.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Patter Song posted:

OK, calling the vote. We are going to tell Wakaba that we're interested in Jury and ???, and I'm just going to deal with some minor choices on my own, if they're so soon after the last vote as to yield a microupdate.

(For example, immediately after we talk to Wakaba, we'll have a choice whether to chat with Utena before class or just wait for class to start. It'd be very annoying to have to take another vote for that.)

But can we tell Utena a joke?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, I would be fine with just seeing one character's route (plus an alternate one for the all-joke route) if you don't want to show all the routes. Less-frequent but more content updates are better than daily 3 paragraph microupdates, imo.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

But can we tell Utena a joke?

Really, can we tell anyone a joke?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd like to see Touga's route at some point just because I'm curious to see what Nanami does.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've already said that I'm willing to discuss what to do regarding other routes at the end, but I need to see how I feel by the end of the game first. I really don't want to commit to more than getting to the end of the game right now, before I know how I'm going to be feeling about this stuff come December/January when we're finishing up.

Anyway, it's time for:

Chapter XII: Life Sucks For an Ohtori NPC

We're back! Last time, you all voted to tell Wakaba that we are interested in our beloved senpai Jury Arisugawa by an overwhelming margin, and by a somewhat tighter vote decided that we'd also tell her that we were interested in the mysterious ???. This vote, besides flat-out giving you a one level increase with the person you're interested in, is also supposed to have Wakaba give you clues and hints about how and where to approach your love interests, which are critical to navigating the questions to come. Sadly, you all came to the school gossip to ask about someone whose name and identifying features we don't know (poor Protagonist Patter Song doesn't even know ???'s gender somehow), so I'm not sure you're going to be too thrilled with the usefulness of Wakaba's advice on her. That said, let's let Wakaba speak for herself.

Soundtrack: The Sunlit Garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzaHyVqHag

Patter Song: I thought Juri-san was pretty nice. Uh, I don't really mean that I'm interested in that way, don't get me wrong!

Oh, no you don't, young lady. You do, very much, mean it "that way." Don't try to hide it. The two dozen goons in your head are shouting at you to get some hung jury action...that joke did not work as well as it did in my head.

Wakaba is very, very used to "I don't like her like that..."

But, you know, there are some scary rumors about her, too...

Patter Song: Scary rumors?

Wakaba: Like, they say people who go against her get expelled from the school. Even teachers. And they say that the popular places in town are her personal territory.

Patter Song: Hmm...

The other characters give you pretty clear-cut clues as to where to find them or what their hobbies are. Jury gets "They say the popular places in town are her personal territory." The most popular of places is where Jury broods alone, fidgeting her locket, I guess.

The Wakaba gossip network is fast. While we're talking, Jury's opinion of us has already gone up.

Let's try this again!

Patter Song: But since it was a masquerade, I didn't hear their name.

Wakaba: Oh, I see...! Well, if you give me their description, I'll try to help you find them!

Great! With the campus gossip on our side, we'll crack this case in no time at all!

Patter Song: Thanks! But don't worry about it.

Goddammit, Protagonist-Us.

Patter Song: I'll be looking myself. If I don't turn up anything, I'll be sure to come to you for help.

Wakaba: Sure, got it! Just let me know, OK?

No notification of raised ??? points, and the conversation ends. Well, that didn't tell us anything. When will we finally meet this mystery woman and figure out her deal?

Patter Song: (Home room's going to be starting soon...Should I chat with Utena, too?)

As I said earlier, to avoid insanely short updates, I'm going to periodically take the mood of the thread and base minor choices on that, unless the minor choice happens to fall at the right distance to be an end of post vote. You'll obviously still have all the major choices. Anyway, I'm going on Utena getting 3rd on our crush vote. Plenty of you like her and very few of you dislike her, and we did sleep with her last night, and I don't think our Patter Song is the kind of person to not talk to someone the next morning, so let's talk to Utena.

Soundtrack: School Lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270vPdVVJ74

Utena: Hey, good morning. Did you sleep well last night? You had a rough day, after all.

You should know...

Patter Song: I had a little trouble sleeping...but, it's okay!

Yeah, I'm sure you did. There was just...something...that wasn't quite right...

Yeah, that'd do it.

Patter Song: It's just that there are so many things I want to do, like checking out club activities, and shopping.

Utena: Oh, yeah? After school today, we were going to go into town to do a little shopping...you wanna come with? There's this cafe called "Magnolia" where they make this really delicious rose tea.

Patter Song: Thanks! That would be great.

This is the game's way of hinting what Utena's extracurricular interests/schedule are like. We don't everhave to hang out with her, of course. That'll eventually be your choice.

For those of you keeping track:

We're popular!

It must suck to be a teacher in Ohtori. No one pays any attention to you, the Student Council can get you fired, and the Chairman is the boss from Hell.

Soundtrack: The One Who Shoots At the Sun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W1Y2_lg-UU

You also have to stare at those hideous green suits the boys wear. Are the ordinary Ohtori uniforms so terrible just to emphasize how stylish the Student Council is? That sounds like something Nanami or Jury would come up with.

Anyway, new student! Let's see who this could-

Hm...is that a boy's figure or a girl's figure? Wait...No...it couldn't be. It couldn't possibly be that ??? from before. Let's look up a bit and see his/her face...

...Well, our quest to find ??? suddenly became a lot easier.

And now we can finally stop calling her ???. Chigusa Sanjouin is our mystery character, the one you all are so interested in meeting/potentially getting into the pants/skirt/whatever of. Let's see how that goes. Also, the more eagle-eyed of you will remember when we explored the Chalk-White Fencing Hall, Chigusa Sanjouin was listed as the lead member of the Dueling Club, and it was her locker we tried to break into before she stopped us.

Wait, is that a problem you get a lot? It's not just that Patter Song is a total idiot? Because I hate to gawk, but...um...

"I wonder if Sanjouin is a boy or a girl? I see absolutely nothing that could indicate. What a mysterious person." -Half of Ohtori, apparently.

Chigusa: I was sick for quite a while, so I'm three years older than the rest of you, but it's nice to meet you.

Is...is that a thing? Not missing years of schooling, mind, but taking 8th grade as a 17-year-old. You'd think at this point she'd just study to get an equivalency test and give up on schooling.

Predictably, all the girls start giggling and making flirty whispering noises.

Patter Song: (That's...the person from yesterday! And doesn't she resemble the person I danced with at the ball...? Is she...looking at me?)

Good news, thread, I think she's into us!

Teacher: For your seat, let's see...Why don't you sit behind Ishige, there?

Boo. Sit her next to us, sit her next to us.

Chigusa: Sir. My eyes are a little weak, so if it's possible, I'd appreciate if I could sit one seat closer.

Teacher: Oh, is that right? In that case, Ishige, please switch seats with Sanjouin.

Ishige: Yes, sir!

Congratulations, Ishige, on your one and only line in the entire game. I hope you gave it your all. If you don't have a rose color, you aren't dirt to these people.

How you know you're in Ohtori: take a room full of horny 14-year-olds and drop a bombshell older girl with a choker necklace, what looks like a corset that is open in front, and no bra, and have her introduce herself to the class, and the girls all start furiously plotting their seduction plans while the boys stay silent, presumably disappointed.

Patter Song: (Huh...Ishige sat next to me...So that means the seat she's walking to is...)

Here we go!

Chigusa: Hello, Patter-san.

A little formal, but we're officially meeting, so no surprise, but we have so much to talk about, like the duel, and the dance, and the calendar, and...

Patter Song: G...good morning. Sorry about yesterday.

Chigusa: Yesterday?

Patter Song: Yesterday, at the fencing hall.

Chigusa: Ah...isn't this our first time meeting?

Patter Song: Huh? But...

:what:

Chigusa, you are not very good at gaslighting. You already used our name!

Teacher: Quiet over there!

Patter Song: (But I'm sure I met her yesterday at the fencing hall...)

Of course, it doesn't take a genius gaslighter to confuse our dear Protagonist, who, bless her heart, isn't the sharpest rose thorn in Ohtori.

Class ends in short order, with the Teacher never even beginning a lesson.

Patter Song: (Of course, I'm staring just like everyone else. Here goes!)

Protagonist Us, as hard as it is to not stare at someone who goes to school in what appears to be fetish wear, it's impolite.

We're finally going to get that Chigusa relations up, I just know it!

:what: OK, look, Patter-chan, when dealing with a gaslighter, gaslight back. Say nonsense to Chigusa and see how she responds. Quote your favorite Dueling Chorus or something.

Patter Song: (But the first thing she did was call me by my name...) It's Patter Song.

This is not how you deal with this problem. This problem is only going to keep getting worse.

Actually, it was a man on the Something Awful Forums who picked his username eight years ago and didn't think through how ill-fitting a name it was for a Japanese schoolgirl before starting a thread. Does that count as father, or, because that man is playing as a woman for the purposes of this game, mother, maybe, or...

Oh, it's a vote! And this seems like a good place to break, because this is a significant vote. Did our father name us, or did our mother name us?

See you next time, and until then, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 11, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

mother she was still a bit woozy from the sedatives.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I refuse to believe that her dad put any effort into any part of Song's upbringing so mom it is.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I dunno guys. I'm starting to think Chigusa might be female, but we just don't have enough info yet to be sure. And what about the person we met in the locker room before? Maybe Chigusa knows something about him/her??

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

But not putting in any effort is exactly how dad came to name her!! He forgot how japanese names worked for god's sake

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'd like to see Touga's route at some point just because I'm curious to see what Nanami does.

i didnt even think about that. please don't tempt me to vote touga just for this

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
That weird feeling where, after eight years on Something Awful, you suddenly feel self-conscious about your username.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Actually, it was a man on the Something Awful Forums who picked his username eight years ago

Sounds like our name came from our father.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Say mother.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
"That's fine. Girls don't need to be strong. Or to have names that make sense."
-Patter Song's father, probably

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In the world of Utena, I doubt the wife got a say.

It was your father

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Songs? Girls can sing songs, as long as they're not fencing! Clearly, this name was rightfully chosen by our father

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Thanks Obama DAD

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

I refuse to believe that her dad put any effort into any part of Song's upbringing so mom it is.
:same:

(I've been quietly following this thread since it started, and I'm happy to see that people are gunning for Juri Jury.)

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
It's gotta be mum.

E: the fact that you paused for this indicates that this is a major question. :psyduck:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mom and let's see if senpai will notice us... not the creepy blue-haired lady that wants to murder us and is REALLY bad at hiding that she met Patter already, I meant Juri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ace of Aces posted:

E: the fact that you paused for this indicates that this is a major question. :psyduck:

Well, it's also that it was the standard update length and was a good stopping point, but...

Yes, yes it is. And it's completely unclear to the player on the first run of the game which one is the "right" or "wrong" answer.

Gotta get replay value up somehow on your VN, am I right?