Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yeah, the voter suppression of the GOP would get more coverage if only Elizabeth Warren didn't do a DNA test lol

No but we’re talking about her DNA instead of her announcing a meaningful or politically useful policy proposal. Voters want to hear what politicians will do to help them and Warren chose to instead focus the national narrative on her genealogy.

It is lovely lovely campaigning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even Clintonistas are apparently receptive to court packing, if Avenatti's popularity means anything. A lot of the base is willing to do anything to counter Trump and those willing to go outside donor-approved lines find themselves breaking the decorum-based limits of popularity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you're going to see support for court packing rise as brett joins more glaringly awful 5-4 decisions.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

If FDR got cold feet, then the modern-day Democrats wouldn't even dare. It is less likely than a trillion dollar coin being printed.

Nah, they are going to say she lied to get special treatment (even if it was just a FB page) and 1/512th is essentially nothing. (I don't think this, but it was a stupid idea to give them ammo.)

FDR was going to get three but decided he could damage fellow party leaders egos and ask for three more while freezing them out . Had nothing to do with timity. Had everything to do with FDR forgetting that you have to smooth egos if yku want to change things.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 15, 2018

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ardennes posted:

The results showed she had very little Native American blood.

Wasn't that always the claim though? Her mother told a story about her grandmother, and she checked a box on an admissions form?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HootTheOwl posted:

Wasn't that always the claim though? Her mother told a story about her grandmother, and she checked a box on an admissions form?

if thats her story then this becomes even more hilarious because the test shows her claimed heritage occurred way, way before her grandmother

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're going to see support for court packing rise as brett joins more glaringly awful 5-4 decisions.

Pretty much. The SCOTUS has basically been daring people to point out their illegitimacy for decades with hilariously awful politically motivated rulings and Kavanaugh being crammed on despite being obviously unqualified makes it crystal clear for even the most decorum focused voter. They've been coasting on legal types treating them like prophets of a religion but even those guys seem to be having a hard time excusing their systemic abuse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Radish posted:

Pretty much. The SCOTUS has basically been daring people to point out their illegitimacy for decades and Kavanaugh being crammed on despite being obviously unqualified makes it crystal clear for even the most decorum focused voter. They've been coasting on legal types treating them like prophets of a religion but even those guys seem to be having a hard time excusing their systemic abuse.

Leftists provide answers to questions that voters are asking and liberals refuse to answer at all.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

HootTheOwl posted:

No she was already a law professor when she started claiming it, which is why the scandal has legs if she keeps bringing it up. This whole dna test mess is an epic self-own.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

If anything it showed at best that maybe her great-great-great grandmother had Native American blood and it is very possible it was significantly further than that. Personally, I wouldn't have checked that box.

Crowsbeak posted:

FDR was going to get three but decided he could damage fellow party leaders egos and ask for three more while freezing them out . Had nothing to do with timity. Had everything to do with FDR forgetting that you have to smooth egos if yku want to change things.

There was a large public outcry over it despite the goodwill that FDR had been building up. No way would it happen today or even close to it.

If the barest amount of public spending is considered "communism" , how do you think court packing would go?

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 15, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

How'd that (I'm with her?) work out for Hillary?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nothus posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1051795503376150528?s=19

:ughh: lmao instead of shrugging off a schoolyard insult that only mattered to people who were never going to vote for you, you've legitimised right wing propaganda and given the media license to talk about nothing else. Jesus Dems are bad at this.

Oh, come on. Won't it be fun to call Trump a welcher on his bet with Warren?

Anyway, I think this proves she's running for POTUS.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

Sure, but if all it's going to accomplish is to let some bourgie liberals smug it up then it's useless in a political sense at best.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

VideoGameVet posted:

Anyway, I think this proves she's running for POTUS.

Trump was infamous for welching on charity before he was elected. Lol that you think this case will turn out any different. He's already denied he ever said it.

She's absolutely running and her campaign is already doomed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Pointing out hypocrisy is an ineffective campaign tactic.

There was a good recent Citations Needed about this.

edit: Link - https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-53-the-increasingly-dull-edge-of-hypocrisy-takedowns

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/395728-trump-i-would-offer-warren-1-million-to-prove-her-native-american

quote:

“But let’s say I’m debating Pocahontas, I’ll do this,” Trump said during a campaign rally in Great Falls, Mont., referring to Warren by the racially charged nickname he gave her during the 2016 presidential campaign.

“I promise you I’ll do this, you know those little kits they sell on television for $2? Learn your heritage,” Trump said.

“I’m going to get one of those little kits and in the middle of the debate, when she proclaims she’s of Indian heritage — because her mother said she has high cheekbones, that’s her only evidence," Trump continued.

“We will take that little kit, we have to do it gently because we’re in the "Me Too" generation, we have to be very gentle,” Trump said mocking the movement that seeks to expose sexual misconduct in media, entertainment and politics.

“We will very gently take that kit and we will slowly toss it, hoping it doesn’t hit her and injure her arm, even though it only weighs probably 2 oz,” he said.

“And we will say, ‘I will give you a million dollars, paid for by Trump, to your favorite charity if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian,” Trump said. “And we’ll see what she does. I have a feeling she will say no but we will hold it for the debates.”

He said he would offer the challenge at a later date, but that date hasn't even come yet. I'd say he's off the hook for the $1 million but it doesn't hurt to mock him over it anyway. Warren probably wanted to avoid the possibility he actually does try and pull off a stunt like this in a debate if she makes it to the general. Get it settled now, for better or for worse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is a dude that showed up to a charity function for a charity he didn't give money to and took a vip seat from one of the actual givers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
When are people going to stop trying to "own" Trump? You can't own him with words. He's unownable unless he's in handcuffs.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/395728-trump-i-would-offer-warren-1-million-to-prove-her-native-american

He said he would offer the challenge at a later date, but that date hasn't even come yet. I'd say he's off the hook for the $1 million but it doesn't hurt to mock him over it anyway. Warren probably wanted to avoid the possibility he actually does try and pull off a stunt like this in a debate if she makes it to the general. Get it settled now, for better or for worse.

Wait a week and have someone else make the contribution anyway.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

When are people going to stop trying to "own" Trump? You can't own him with words. He's unownable unless he's in handcuffs.

I’m not sure I agree with this. You can credibly own Trump, you just can’t be guilty of the same poo poo he is. For example, I think Michelle Wolf (spelling?) credibly owned him.

Edit: it was one f, I am owned.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 15, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I can't help but wonder why Warren ever thought the whole Native American heritage thing was a good idea until I remember that literally everyone who ever grew up in Oklahoma claims they're part Native American. And it's like, true, but it's such a small part that it seems really disingenuous to have claimed that to put herself on a minority teacher list at a university.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

im on the net me boys posted:

I can't help but wonder why Warren ever thought the whole Native American heritage thing was a good idea until I remember that literally everyone who ever grew up in Oklahoma claims they're part Native American. And it's like, true, but it's such a small part that it seems really disingenuous to have claimed that to put herself on a minority teacher list at a university.
And it's 100% racist dogshit because nobody wanted to admit that great grandma was Black/Latina.

Redface is a real bad look and the fact that Warren has decided to double down on it means she's a dumbass.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

im on the net me boys posted:

Same reason these genetic test things are becoming so popular in the first place: being a plain old ordinary fully-assimilated white American, just like all the other plain old ordinary fully-assimilated white Americans, is boring. Better to send a shady lab two hundred bucks to tell you you're 5% East Asian or something so you can invent a heritage to feel connected to. It's a conversation piece, and something to comfort white Americans who are bored and feel that their sense of identity is lacking, but don't really have a heritage to fall back on because most European-American families assimilated completely enough that they don't really have a sense of where their families came from before America, except maybe what kind of cooking their grandparents liked.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1051940535374700550

:fork:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao god fuckin' drat

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Jesus that is just mean!!!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

That doesn't mean bullshit shouldn't be pointed out at any and all opportunities.

Why? Any political messaging necessarily carries an opportunity cost, why is it smart to invest in a dead end approach?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
She might have really goofed this time:

https://twitter.com/JustinWingerter/status/1051943041576169476

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hey Thunderdome I'm back from my little vacation. Did centrism save the day and prove all us naysayers wrong yet?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

To be fair, most will forget as this is right before midterms, but Donny won’t, and it doesn’t matter if Democrats ignore it, the media loves reporting on Trump’s hourly thoughts.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Even ignoring cold political calculations, it's not really cool of someone from the progressive arm of the Democrats to insult an entire native-american nation.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even ignoring cold political calculations, it's not really cool of someone from the progressive arm of the Democrats to insult an entire native-american nation.

If your definition of progressive is liberal capitalist then sure.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biden's flame out is going to be rich and fattening.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'll be very curious to see how she responds (because I feel like she's kinda going to need to, given the attention this is receiving).

Even more than Warren's own actions, I feel like the supportive/defensive reaction regarding this from many liberals is very telling in a kind of depressing way. It basically reflects the uncomfortable relationship between American liberals/Democrats and minority groups - they like the idea of using those groups to highlight their own virtue, but they don't actually care much about listening to them and often react very poorly if they come into conflict with them (see - some of the responses to stuff like that Cherokee Nation statement tweet).

It sorta reminds me of the Franken situation, in that both lead to some divisions between Democrats who were actually willing to keep to their principles and those who weren't willing to condemn someone "on their side."

Prester Jane posted:

Hey Thunderdome I'm back from my little vacation. Did centrism save the day and prove all us naysayers wrong yet?

Yes. In fact, we have all changed our minds and joined the center.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

Yes. In fact, we have all changed our minds and joined the center.

https://imgur.com/a/4EFOJUY

I used to know how to make this embed but I don't anymore.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 16, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'll be very curious to see how she responds (because I feel like she's kinda going to need to, given the attention this is receiving).

I genuinely think they'll just try to ride it out, in large part because the anger and annoyance is coming from one of the most invisible groups in the country.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oh Snapple! posted:

I genuinely think they'll just try to ride it out, in large part because the anger and annoyance is coming from one of the most invisible groups in the country.

My guess is Warren will come out in favor of some native American political issues, like fighting pipelines, increased funding for schools and medical Care on reservations, etc. Basically try to buy off the identity issues with good policy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is Warren will come out in favor of some native American political issues, like fighting pipelines, increased funding for schools and medical Care on reservations, etc. Basically try to buy off the identity issues with good policy.

That sounds way too smart and also would involve spending tax money not on bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds way too smart and also would involve spending tax money not on bombs.

Yeah but she's a Democrat so it's a workable angle.

She's very unlikely to admit error but she can do what McCain did after the Keating Five and establish a lot of "good on policy" credentials by running towards the right issues instead of away from them.

• Locked thread