Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That guy was cool and I hope he slides up into Disco somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Lol Rom just 1. admitted to jacking off his ears too much on 90s network tv, 2. quoted Karl Marx on 90s network TV.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Admiral Bosch posted:

Lol Rom just 1. admitted to jacking off his ears too much on 90s network tv, 2. quoted Karl Marx on 90s network TV.

Yes, DS9 is very good

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

HD DAD posted:

Yes, DS9 is very good

Yes. Extremely

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The best. And it isn't close.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Speaking as transitioning enby...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

LividLiquid posted:

It’s amazing how much you can tell the writers/producers loved their jobs. Like Ira Behr seems like the kind of person who would write DS9 fan fiction if he wasn’t the drat executive producer

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

It’s amazing how much you can tell the writers/producers loved their jobs. Like Ira Behr seems like the kind of person who would write DS9 fan fiction if he wasn’t the drat executive producer

He did write fanfiction, it was ds9. it was good fanfiction though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I still love that concept art of the grand hall-sized bridge with couches and barca loungers up front and an observation deck on the second floor, dudes just chillin' in the ship's command center.

Imagine being the guy working at the console when somebody sitting on the couch in front keeps propping their arms back.

Edit: Having your lunch in the lounge in the back when an angry Klingon ship shows up and you keep worrying he can hear your crunchy burrito.

MikeJF posted:

I still think they should've stuck with the conference table on the bridge, it would've been much better in tense situations to call the staff around the table than actually leave the bridge and de-escalate the tension. Could've embedded a big map in it too.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LividLiquid posted:

Speaking as transitioning enby...

I've long speculated that trekkies, on average, would have an easier time than most coming to grips with a friend or family member who's transitioning. Because thanks to things like Dax, it's already kind of a familiar thing.

(And hell, you can probably even give partial credit to the time Kirk and that crazy lady swapped bodies.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I will add a caveat that while DS9 is the worst, it only works with the groundwork the two previous series laid out. They built the house so we could cheer as it was demolished.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Roadie posted:

Imagine being the guy working at the console when somebody sitting on the couch in front keeps propping their arms back.

Edit: Having your lunch in the lounge in the back when an angry Klingon ship shows up and you keep worrying he can hear your crunchy burrito.

Admiral Riker: "Listen, just kinda spitballing here, no bad ideas, right? What if..hear me out...we put a Galaxy Class Ten Forward on the refit Titan bridge..."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

STO created a whole new set of facial animations just for Garak to mug for the camera. And another new animation for Kira slapping Odo across the face.

https://i.imgur.com/04UuqBp.mp4

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is that Brunt

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kibayasu posted:

Is that Brunt

No, that’s the crazy mercenary dude they hired in The Magnificent Ferengi

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

Is that Brunt

No, it's The Magnificent Ferengi Part Two: Heist on an Iconian Dreadnought.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

I've long speculated that trekkies, on average, would have an easier time than most coming to grips with a friend or family member who's transitioning. Because thanks to things like Dax, it's already kind of a familiar thing.

(And hell, you can probably even give partial credit to the time Kirk and that crazy lady swapped bodies.)

You'd think that, but just like religious people trekkies also typically miss the point of their stories and their bigotry remains intact

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Roadie posted:

The couches up front remind me of the Liberator's bridge in Blake's 7

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

I'm making an STO account when I get home because of this mp4!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No, that’s the crazy mercenary dude they hired in The Magnificent Ferengi

That was my second guess.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That extremely spacious and comfy bridge design definitely echoes some of what they were going for with the refit in TMP. Not the bridge specifically, but everything else, like that massive conference room. It's a pretty neat idea, and I wish they'd been able to keep a little more of that vibe throughout the rest of the movies rather than going all-in on the submarine-inspired stuff. But I guess it's good that they did what they had to do to recover from that critical disaster, and TNG ultimately made up for it and was probably a better venue for those ideas anyway.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Cythereal posted:

CBS has to approve everything that goes into STO, and seriously. The disco klingon ships look incredibly loving weird.

I dunno, I kinda like it. I'd think it might be more appropriate for Romulans than Klingons, but whatever, at least they're getting away from 'airplanes in space, must have aerodynamic horizontal wings' school of thought.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

That extremely spacious and comfy bridge design definitely echoes some of what they were going for with the refit in TMP. Not the bridge specifically, but everything else, like that massive conference room. It's a pretty neat idea, and I wish they'd been able to keep a little more of that vibe throughout the rest of the movies rather than going all-in on the submarine-inspired stuff. But I guess it's good that they did what they had to do to recover from that critical disaster, and TNG ultimately made up for it and was probably a better venue for those ideas anyway.

TMP was less of a disaster than most people think. It made a decent profit and had great box office viewing numbers. Critics were mixed but it wasn't panned and it pulled audiences.

They only claim the budget was out of control because they used hollywood accounting to add the whole Phase 2 exploration and development project onto it. And also because the studio was disappointed it didn't do measure up to Star Wars numbers. After all, they're both space! Damnit Gene if you'd just made it more pew pew it'd totally get the same audience!

You know, like how the studios consider Into Darkness and Beyond disappointing because Avengers made a billion dollars and why didn't you?

TheCenturion posted:

I dunno, I kinda like it. I'd think it might be more appropriate for Romulans than Klingons, but whatever, at least they're getting away from 'airplanes in space, must have aerodynamic horizontal wings' school of thought.

Colour it green and yeah, it'd be a fine Romulan ship, although the head is still wierd as gently caress and it's still like a wannabe geiger without his skill. It's an awful Klingon ship.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 17, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TheCenturion posted:

What they need to do (to piss me and everyone off) is make the Remans survive the destruction of Romulus and become literal space vampires. In every way, in the corniest way possible. Bat-ships. Black cloaks. Big fangzh vat make zhem tolk like zhis. Blood drinking, organ music, coffin-shaped sleeping pods, aversion to garlic and sun and Jesus, big medallions on their chests, &c.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

What they need to do (to piss me and everyone off) is make the Remans survive the destruction of Romulus and become literal space vampires. In every way, in the corniest way possible. Bat-ships. Black cloaks. Big fangzh vat make zhem tolk like zhis. Blood drinking, organ music, coffin-shaped sleeping pods, aversion to garlic and sun and Jesus, big medallions on their chests, &c.

And then do a time travel story where one of them crash lands in eastern europe and becomes the basis for Dracula

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MikeJF posted:

TMP was less of a disaster than most people think. It made a decent profit and had great box office viewing numbers. Critics were mixed but it wasn't panned and it pulled audiences.

Not being alive at the time I can't say more than what I've read, but I'm under the impression it had great hype that carried it to financial success, but almost nobody liked it, including the actors, hence the proviso that a sequel would have to be made on a much smaller budget. Well, that and the fact that Gene's only idea for the sequel was "City On The Edge Of Forever But JFK" and everyone was like crap, this will do even worse

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should finally realize Gene's dream on this season of Discovery

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Twist: they go back to kill JFK but discover that another JFK is there to fire the gun

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HD DAD posted:

Twist: they go back to kill JFK but discover that another JFK is there to fire the gun

Red Dwarf crossover

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The thing that bothers me about this one is there's no dedicated captain's chair, unless he was going to be sat behind the conference table the whole time, or lounging on one of those front benches.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The captain could be at Worf's station, just awkwardly looking down at everyone the whole time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TMP’s production was a disaster but the film was a commercial success. The studio was not happy with TMP going so way over budget that they cut the budget for WoK down to 1/3 or so of TMP. They also put Gene in the backseat and brought in guys like Harve Bennett/Nick Meyer who were more competent.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'm making an STO account when I get home because of this mp4!!!

On the off chance you're being serious, drop by the thread in Games first. STO is a rather opaque (if very easy and casual-friendly) game for newcomers, and goons run the largest, best-equipped, and most knowledgeable guild in the game. We're also beloved and hated by most pubbies in equal measure. :v:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The thing that bothers me about this one is there's no dedicated captain's chair, unless he was going to be sat behind the conference table the whole time, or lounging on one of those front benches.
The thing that suddenly bothers me is that the captain's chair isn't just a series of chaise lounges scattered around; you're Spaceship King, you should be able to lounge where you drat please

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Picard would have been on a hover throne

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

Like some bloated Harkonnen bastard?!? Never!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Replace the yellow with TNG's nicotine-soaked beige plastic and the animated series Professor X chair is remarkably on-brand aesthetic.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

HD DAD posted:

As often as it's quoted, this interview should be in the OP because it keeps showing that everything we say about that era of Trek was being said at the time by people working on it.

Ron Moore posted:

Deep Space Nine took that to another level. We were so tight as a writing staff, we loved the show so much, that we could sit in that room and literally scream at each other. Hans Beimler and I could just go at it, hammer and tongs, yelling and really getting upset. We would just sit there and yell about story points, and then, ‘Where are we going to lunch today?’ We would all go out, and really enjoy each other’s company and have a good time.

Certainly the spirit of Deep Space Nine, and what we were trying to do, and what we believed in, informed what we put out. You could say that Deep Space Nine was too inside, and it was too complex. It got too much inside of its own head to be accessible to people who just approached the show for the first time, but that is a reflection of deep passion and commitment to the show.

It's amazing how much of what he says about the attitude of the people working on Voyager applied to all of Star Trek going forward.

Brawnfire posted:

I would be down with this simply because wasting Ron loving Perlman was one of Nemesis' greatest sins... and that's saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Clearly the captain stands in the corner with his coffee overlooking his minions