Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Serf posted:

doesn't count unless its a turn-based rpg with tactical map

That lets in the Facebook game, my good sir :smaug:

It was actually surprisingly solid for a Facebook game, but they didn't seem to be doing much to maintain appeal and it just quietly died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Darwinism posted:

It was actually surprisingly solid for a Facebook game, but they didn't seem to be doing much to maintain appeal and it just quietly died.

I poo poo yeah I played that, it was pretty enjoyable for what it was but yeah there just wasn't any growth or anything to keep playing (plus pay to keep playing models suck in general).

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Xanathar's Guide to Everything and The Sword Coast Adventurer's guide are the primary things that have extra player options.

Volo's and Mordenkainen's have some extra players stuff, but are mainly DM books with a lot of monsters.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I've got all the official stuff. I'm looking for drivethrurpg or DM's Guild recommendations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Darwinism posted:

oh yeah i should have mentioned that facebook poo poo doesn't count either

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dregs posted:

I've been playing D&D since the 90's but I never tried or read anything Planescape related. What's the best way to learn about the setting? Honestly what little I know of it is mixed up with Spelljammer. I tthought they were the same thing for the longest time.

you can get pdfs of all the planescape books if you know where to look.

there's ~50 books which seems overwhelming, but planescape is very pick-and-choose, moreso than other settings. if you're interested in, say, the elemental planes, you can just open the book about those, pick out whatever poo poo looks cool, and completely ignore everything else

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fruity20 posted:

This is gonna be my last noob question for today, if you want to be a gm: how many books and pages do you need to read until your ready to play a game of dnd? and after that, where do you start building your setitng?

man D&D is a game just try and familiarize yourself with the rules and create a dungeon. outside of that dungeon within narrative distance is a town, fill the town with people who need poo poo, the poo poo they need can coincidentally be found by going into other nearby dungeons that you create, and so on. just start small and don't worry about creating some grand setting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tetracube posted:

you can get pdfs of all the planescape books if you know where to look.

there's ~50 books which seems overwhelming, but planescape is very pick-and-choose, moreso than other settings. if you're interested in, say, the elemental planes, you can just open the book about those, pick out whatever poo poo looks cool, and completely ignore everything else

For example https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?filters=0_0_0_0_45358_0_0_0

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Claytor posted:

I've already picked up Nort's Universal Martial Maneuvers

is this an actual thing worth getting or a troll

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Quidthulhu posted:

is this an actual thing worth getting or a troll

I came to ask about this as well. It's very cheap and looks like its goonmade so I'm going to take a chance at it, but I'm curious how it affects balance and if it neuters battlemaster entirely.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

I came to ask about this as well. It's very cheap and looks like its goonmade so I'm going to take a chance at it, but I'm curious how it affects balance and if it neuters battlemaster entirely.

Nort's Universal Martial Maneuvers saves the Fighter by killing the Battlemaster. You can play any other Fighter archetype and still use the Battlemaster's maneuvers. In fact, the Battlemaster's maneuvers are made available to every character. Fighters get the most maneuvers, the most dice, and the biggest dice, and regain all of their dice on a short rest. Other martial classes get fewer maneuvers, their dice are fewer and weaker, and they only regain one die on a short rest. Casters get a few maneuvers later in the game, with a few small dice which recover one at a time on a short rest. The idea is that Fighters and other martial classes benefit from a variety of new options, while casters might pick up a couple of utility abilities for battlefield healing or a quick AC boost.

Maneuvers themselves get broken up into five tiers, with Fighters getting Tier 5 maneuvers earlier than other martial classes and casters topping out at Tier 3. The maneuvers themselves get a bunch of additions and alterations. Some maneuvers gain advantage or extra effects if you have the right skill proficiency or weapon.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
If there's one thing Fighter doesn't need saving from, it's being bad at combat.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm real sad that after Neverwinter Nights they never seemed to revisit the system-accurate D&D simulator genre. Especially since it had a DM mode. Why aren't there DMable video games?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Glagha posted:

I'm real sad that after Neverwinter Nights they never seemed to revisit the system-accurate D&D simulator genre. Especially since it had a DM mode. Why aren't there DMable video games?

They did something like that for Divinity Original Sin 2 but I never tried it.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Claytor posted:

Nort's Universal Martial Maneuvers saves the Fighter by killing the Battlemaster. ...

That's a very concise accurate take, thanks. It's much clearer than the description I put there actually. Would you mind if I quoted this or copied it into the description?

On the balance side of things Tiers 1 to 3 are pretty safe as are most of 4 and 5. Two new maneuvers in Tier 4 and 5 though might be worth considering: Legend and True Mojo. They exist to offer some narrative changing ability for the high level fighter and a DM should read them carefully to weigh how they'd like to implement them. True Mojo in particular is meant to offer some equivalent to a Wish level of ability - pushing mountains aside or changing the course of rivers. It is meant to be dangerous to use however and is intended to invite the attention or punishment of gods and some DMs might just not want to go there. It's intended as something that should the fighter invoke True Mojo the table shudders at what the unforeseen consequences for the party may be. The DM must make a decision early on about how powerful or frequent they're willing to let that be or if they'd prefer to not include it at all.

Those two are the exception though, the rest of the maneuvers are far more prescribed in outcome.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

clusterfuck posted:

That's a very concise accurate take, thanks. It's much clearer than the description I put there actually. Would you mind if I quoted this or copied it into the description?

Sure, go for it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey sooooo, probably no chance of finding this, but with the spell "Suggestion" what the hell is meant by reasonable?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Madmarker posted:

Hey sooooo, probably no chance of finding this, but with the spell "Suggestion" what the hell is meant by reasonable?

Whatever the DM will let you get away with.

But the intent is that you don't issue the commands like straight orders, but as recommendations with perhaps some BS logic behind them.

"Throw down your weapon and you'll not be harmed."
"It'll be easier for everyone if you'd just explain what you're here for."
"Just sit quietly in the corner and we'll be right back to continue the fight."
"I think you're mistaken; we are not the adventurers you're looking for."

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I mean if you want to pay like $500 for all the books

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tetracube posted:

I mean if you want to pay like $500 for all the books

I would not advise buying all the books. Just the first two on that list if you want to find out about Planescape.

Glagha posted:

Sword Coast Legends had a DM Mode. It was not very system accurate however.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Relentless posted:

I don't see how they're going to get anybody to stick with it.

The team of grognards who cheat and read ahead on the adventure but keeps rolling poorly is going to lose to the team of idiots who constantly draw opportunity attacks because they want to rush the caster but roll 20s constantly.

Yeah, most of the time those numbers balance out, but every once in a while it just doesn't.

People play loving Hearthstone for million-dollar prizes. There are many problems with this idea, but what you're describing is only a problem if you want to make a good competitive game, not a successful one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

People play loving Hearthstone for million-dollar prizes. There are many problems with this idea, but what you're describing is only a problem if you want to make a good competitive game, not a successful one.

Hearthstone is still about a billion times better than dnd as a competitive game

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Andrast posted:

Hearthstone is still about a billion times better than dnd as a competitive game
Do we really gotta fret about the relative ordering of Coinflip Tier in competitive games?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do we really gotta fret about the relative ordering of Coinflip Tier in competitive games?

Yes

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Sir, this is an internet forum.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
In the current meta, paper is pretty OP.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Rng is always going to be a problem in a competitive scene, but I can't think of anything sports, e or not, that include a 25% chance to just do nothing as a major selling point.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So in my DM'ing session today the side character of Aremag, the Dragon Turtle of Port Nyanzaru, has turned into the campaign's main villain.

I can certainly say I wasn't expecting this, but I am pleased with this outcome :v:

It has also coined the term in our group, "Chekhov's Dragon Turtle".

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 17, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.d0t posted:

[three posts later]
Just play Dungeon World.

Seriously, I've looked at reworking ability scores, but pulling on that thread unravels the whole sweater.

It kicks over a major sacred cow to combine ability scores, of which D&D really needs at most four ([Str/Con], [Dex], [Int/Wis], [Cha]). That way lies games that don't have ability modifiers and further heresies unimaginable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
D&d needs more ability scores not less. 3 physical (strength, toughness, agility) 3 mental (memorization, problem solving, mental agility) and then another 3 (luck, leadership, looks)

Go all in and roll these fuckers hell yeah

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

D&d needs more ability scores not less. 3 physical (strength, toughness, agility) 3 mental (memorization, problem solving, mental agility) and then another 3 (luck, leadership, looks)

mods?!?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh man I want to be a looks warlock or a luck sorcerer.

Serf
May 5, 2011

mind, body and spirit

that's all you need

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Separate strength and dex scores for each limb, take a penalty on multi-limbed actions equal to the greatest difference in the strength and dex scores for all involved limbs, including walking

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm +4 on Q and W but - 1 on O and P.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mastershakeman posted:

• Reflexes
  • Awareness
  • Stamina
  • Willpower
  • Agility
  • Intelligence
  • Strength
  • Perception
  • Doing Rad poo poo

That's my 9.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
1) everything cool
2) martial abilities

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Punch, Hugs, and Diss

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Piell posted:

Punch, Hugs, and Diss

Can I change my answer, this is really good

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Two stats: Murder (for everything related to murder) and Not Murder (everything not related to murder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mastershakeman posted:

Rolemaster bitches, it has 10 plus potential and temporary scores that go up and down each level which you calculate by rolling on three separate tables per score