Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
GET THE RABBID GAME IT'S VERY GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

I agree that it's a non problem... but I was done with this game when I finished the Championship Ballad. I unlocked the motorcycle and rode it around for 30 minutes, then I haven't touched the game since.

If they would let me start a new game on Master mode with the Master Cycle Zero unlocked from the start I'd probably sink another 100 hours in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macaluso posted:

GET THE RABBID GAME IT'S VERY GOOD

It is unironically the best game on the system, eat me otherwise perfect mario game and your jump rope

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't like it but I didn't like Xcom either

Spellman
May 31, 2011

First impression of Starlink is it's pretty good, on Switch it will appeal to people who like the vastness of BotW, and Metroid Prime if you liked the scanning. Seems like a game you could get lost in its atmosphere. And Fox makes it better, for sure, feels like an actually successful Starfox reboot with all the voicework

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Over There posted:

I didn't like it but I didn't like Xcom either

Thats fair, and Xcom wishes it were half as good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm still laughing about "managing resources" in BotW.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Beastie posted:

I'm still laughing about "managing resources" in BotW.

Most of your resource management is trying to figure out which of your twenty amazing weapons is closest to breaking so you can pick up a new one that's even better.

I seriously do not understand why everybody immediately pisses their pants at the thought of weapons breaking. "oh but what if it breaks in the middle of a fight and you lose your awesome weapon" well then just pull out one of the eight others you have ya dummy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It wasn't fun I didn't want my weapon to break. It's ok though there are other games that don't have weapons break like the Much Better Mario x Rabbids and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the weirdest thing about the weapon complaint is that if you broke all your weapons killing moblins... why aren't you just picking up the weapons of all the moblins you just killed? Unless you're standing around painstakingly breaking every weapon you have on a rock, the game gives you far more weapons than you could ever use since you can kill multiple enemies before a weapon breaks and take their multiple weapons. You get like half a dozen weapons for every weapon break and that's not counting weapons laying around, in chests, etc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

It wasn't fun I didn't want my weapon to break.
Sounds like something a stupid pussy would say.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

D-drat...

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Your Computer posted:

Unless you're standing around painstakingly breaking every weapon you have on a rock

Someone said this a few pages back and it sounded so incredibly stupid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

Most of your resource management is trying to figure out which of your twenty amazing weapons is closest to breaking so you can pick up a new one that's even better.

I seriously do not understand why everybody immediately pisses their pants at the thought of weapons breaking. "oh but what if it breaks in the middle of a fight and you lose your awesome weapon" well then just pull out one of the eight others you have ya dummy

Because it represents more uninteresting work post fight and disrupts the flow of combat. It would be like an FPS game* where instead of reloading you threw the gun away and a new one came out even if it was fully identical, with the game pausing when you run out of bullets in the magazine. Later, after the fight you stare at the floor picking up all the same guns you just used but these have bullets in them. No one would stand for that because a better system, picking up ammo, exists to deliver the same design objective of forcing you to switch weapons.

*Condemned 1&2 do this but guns are scarce and multiple cant be carried until NG+ nor is the game designed around guns, and it was still stupid there you couldn't transfer bullets

Edit: This also doesnt touch on how weapons can have travesal properties so you can end up with slots dedicated to weapons you wont actually use unless you have duplicates.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Weapon durability is ammo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Because it represents more uninteresting work post fight and disrupts the flow of combat.
The combat in BOTW is turd rear end and it doesn't have any flow to disrupt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

Just because something is bad doesnt mean you cant make it worse. NeverDead has possibly the shittiest healing mechanic in a game and they go on to introduce a twist half-way in that makes it actively even worse for no discernable reason.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

Seriously. Late game despite being invincible I was just avoiding fights because they were super repetitive and dull. Eventually you just want to get through them fast because they don't ever offer anything interesting.

And that's ok. There was so much more to do than just fight.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
How's the Switch version of Warriors Orochi 4?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can double your battery life for a measly $600 more

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

bowmore posted:

You could triple it by buying two more switches

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sudden Javelin posted:

How's the Switch version of Warriors Orochi 4?

Apparently suffers some HUGE framerate drops and stutters.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

I want to like BotW, I really do, but the fact that the master sword and the abilities you get from the bosses have to be completely used up in order to start recharging just pisses me off on some deep nerd level I can’t get over.

These systems literally incentivize players to waste resources in a game all about managing and conserving your resources.

Every time you use any of these abilities and want to go into any situation after that fresh, you have to just fire off the remaining ability charges at nothing until you’re all out, or slam your sword into rocks just so it breaks, just so you can trigger the recharge that takes 10 minutes.

It is the worst thing about the game, but it’s such a large part of playing that you can’t really ignore it. The idea that this was a deliberate design decision kills me. And it could all have been avoided if they would have just used a normal regenerating resource system like every other game that has ever existed.

Oh, and not being able to mass cook is garbage too.

At least they added in a horse recall system, which means the entire chunk of time they spent developing and implementing horses and horse riding into the game is no longer completely down the toilet for nothing like it was previous to the DLC.

So yeah. BotW is one of those rare games that is 99% awesome but the remaining 1% of design decisions ruin the whole thing.

loving lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the entire game was loving RUINED by a kinda rear end-backwards cooldown system for the overpowered extra abilities you get
totally
definitely

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Weapons breaking in BOTW isn't really a big deal considering there are always more good weapons to grab. Without the weapon degradation system, the game might be too easy. It's already easy enough once you get a handle on it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How come Link in OoT can climb forever but weak rear end BOTW link can only hold a wall for like ten seconds :thunk:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How come Link in OoT can climb forever but weak rear end BOTW link can only hold a wall for like ten seconds :thunk:

I mean if u don’t move at all he can just hang on the wall as long as he wants

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Death changes you

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I think I was so put off by the idea initially that I just kind of stopped playing the game and never really found out if it gets better from there or is negated by some other aspect of the game.

As for the master sword thing, well, it’s the master sword. I’ll admit it is totally my hangup that I think Link should always have it available, or at least available more. But can you at least agree it’s kind of lovely that the master sword has been pushed down to being a rock smasher for most people primarily because the loss of its reliability due to the player never knowing when it’s going to break?

It just makes sense to me that once you get the master sword, you really should be able to just... play the whole game with it and change weapons just for fun or variety. Or at the very least, you should always have it available provided you don’t overuse it.

I wouldn’t even mind if it had much lower durability, but always reset once combat ended. gently caress, anything other than what we’ve got now, really.

Either way, I think the way the master sword breaks after X hits, no matter what, then you have to wait 10 minutes to use it again, is basically the worst possible way they could have implemented it.

its fine

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh yeah, actually if you like the Master Sword that much, do pick up the DLC. The first set of DLC, you do a challenge, and the prize is a buff for the Master Sword. You know that glowy, powered up state the sword goes into when it's around corrupted Guardians? (Spoiled just in case...) Do the Trial of the Sword, and it's in that state permanently. It doubles the swords power and greatly increases its durability. The second pack has some really great stuff in it. Among the prizes you get are much faster cooldown for all the Champion abilities.

I think it would address many of your concerns. Sorry you bounced off the game. I absolutely adored Breath of the Wild. I haven't felt that sense of pure childlike glee while playing a game since I was... well a child, and it honestly makes me sad to see folks who didn't enjoy it as much as I did. :(

In happier news, MY SWITCH IS BACK! UPS delivered it right on time. I've got it on the dock to charge. NOW I CAN BEAT UP MONSTERS AS A CAT AGAIN! EEEEE!

Thanks for the info! If I can get the DLC on sale I think I'll jump back in and keep going. I was having a good time for a while there.

Heath posted:

Just to be clear, I like the weapons breaking mechanic as a whole. I just didn't like the way it worked with the Master Sword specifically.

Also, hearing that there's a way to make your boss powers refresh super fast is great.

Weedle posted:

its fine

nah

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 18, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bowmore posted:

"Huawei" kinda sounds like "Ouya"

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

RCarr posted:

Don't play it then you piece of poo poo. You loving waste of life.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Botw's bad durability system doesn't matter anyway cause Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Botw's bad durability system doesn't matter anyway cause Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game
why did you have to go and say this now I remembered I never got my Koholint DLC for BotW and now I'm mad/sad

it was right there, Nintendo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That's a funny way to spell Oracle of Seasons.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
In spooky news, the zombie Mario costume is out for Odyssey

Oh and some filters as well

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 18, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Macaluso posted:

But in that game, after you use bombs enough times you stop being able to use them until you pick up more!

Now, BOTW, on the other hand... you got infinite bombs, and two varieties of them to boot, like in any sane game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man you guys make it sound like Zelda has ever had good combat. For it's flaws, botw's combat is still head and shoulders above anything else the franchise has ever whipped up. Maybe that's why I didn't think it was as awful as everyone claims.

I play elite gamer poo poo like bloodborne and dead cells and hollow knight you guys so I think I know a thing or two about combat

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

Man you guys make it sound like Zelda has ever had good combat. For it's flaws, botw's combat is still head and shoulders above anything else the franchise has ever whipped up

It really is. Twilight Princess had interesting things you could do in combat but since it was all optional, encounters were never designed with it in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Weapon durability as a required mechanic in literally any game will never not be bad.