Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

When I was a brand new baby dragoon in 2.1 I thought the "flank bonus: +15% damage for 18 seconds" or whatever it was was just telling me that hitting from the flank was 15% stronger (in addition to the listed potency buff? I dunno). I didn't have a plausible explanation for what the duration meant

Basically it's not hard at all to be a dumbass about what your buttons even do and while there's no helping people who just don't care, I assume there's plenty of people who do care a reasonable amount and legitimately think they're doing well. There should be a class tutorial mode for those people.

I sorta feel the opposite, ffxiv's tooltips are generally transparent and Potency makes it super easy to figure out what buttons are the strongest. It's much easier than other games that give give you like, weird percentages of weapon damage plus another modifier in there for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I said O10S is worse than Superman 64 in Discord a few days ago. I regret nothing. :colbert: except for him causing people to burn out left and right I guess.

I'm glad Midgardsormr's dead, or at least semi-permanently written out of the plot.

Can someone get me an arcane bulwark so I can handle this hot take.

What exactly in O10S is worse than Superman 64?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Thundarr posted:

Sam AoE absolutely shreds and I get mad at every single sam I see doing a mediocre single target rotation on one monster in a pack of six. It's killer on TP but, like usual, if you run out of TP and things are still alive it's usually because the rest of the party aren't doing their jobs.

I feel pretty much the opposite, the optimized way of doing the SAM AoE rotation (in which you still have to keep jinpu up, so you still have to at least do that much of the single-target combo) feels like pants, and I feel like you are understating how crazy TP heavy the SAM AoE rotation is for the damage it puts out. I feel like you can get like maybe two rotations of your basic AoE rotation off before you run the risk of running dry.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

I sorta feel the opposite, ffxiv's tooltips are generally transparent and Potency makes it super easy to figure out what buttons are the strongest. It's much easier than other games that give give you like, weird percentages of weapon damage plus another modifier in there for good measure.

At the very least DoTs should be reworded. Like chaos thrust currently says

"Damage over time
Potency: 35
Duration: 30s"

And without searching online you have no idea how good that is. It should probably say something like

"Damage over time
Potency: 350 over 30 seconds"

Because what you care about is the total damage, not how hard each tick hits

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

sound effects on marauder are good so far

Which boots and shorts are those?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Monathin posted:

I feel pretty much the opposite, the optimized way of doing the SAM AoE rotation (in which you still have to keep jinpu up, so you still have to at least do that much of the single-target combo) feels like pants, and I feel like you are understating how crazy TP heavy the SAM AoE rotation is for the damage it puts out. I feel like you can get like maybe two rotations of your basic AoE rotation off before you run the risk of running dry.

I'm of course assuming Invigorate gets used. For my part I usually start with single target combos while the tank gathers stuff, then focus on the AoE combos into Tenka even if my buffs fall off. It may not be maximally ideal but it still stomps all over whatever the usual pubbie farts out.

Once I'm tapped out I'll revert to single target unless there's like five or more things still up, then I'll just do the lovely "wait five seconds for enough tp to attack" thing.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Which part of O10S are people finding difficult? It's not easy but it doesn't seem like it would be the static killer people are making it out to be. It is harder than O2S or O6S but O3S and O7S were both harder

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

cheetah7071 posted:

At the very least DoTs should be reworded. Like chaos thrust currently says

"Damage over time
Potency: 35
Duration: 30s"

And without searching online you have no idea how good that is. It should probably say something like

"Damage over time
Potency: 350 over 30 seconds"

Because what you care about is the total damage, not how hard each tick hits

The wording on some of the tooltips can be a little confusing depending on how you read into them. Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw confused me at first because I thought that they would only extend Blood of the Dragon up to 30 seconds before you had to recast Blood of the Dragon or else the extension would stop working.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Thundarr posted:

I'm of course assuming Invigorate gets used. For my part I usually start with single target combos while the tank gathers stuff, then focus on the AoE combos into Tenka even if my buffs fall off. It may not be maximally ideal but it still stomps all over whatever the usual pubbie farts out.

Once I'm tapped out I'll revert to single target unless there's like five or more things still up, then I'll just do the lovely "wait five seconds for enough tp to attack" thing.

That definitely makes more sense, even if I'm allergic to dropping my buffs. And yeah, Invigorate never leaves my bar for dungeons cause there's always a tank who wants to do a big pull or some crazy big trash mob (the doblyn pull in The Burn, for example) that requires me to go into full AoE stance.

In general I've just had a harder time intuiting SAM's AoE rotation compared to its single-target, but that makes more sense and I'll probably do that next time I end up running EXR.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Monathin posted:

Meikyo the jinpu damage buff or get it up while running in. Semi-related, that people have somehow internalized running out of tp as bad instead of having done the most damage you possibly could with a limited resource will always grate.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

Which part of O10S are people finding difficult? It's not easy but it doesn't seem like it would be the static killer people are making it out to be. It is harder than O2S or O6S but O3S and O7S were both harder

It's a long and boring fight with mostly recycled mechanics and multiple rest phases, but when mechanics do come out they often have pretty narrow windows to act. Tank swaps and tank busters also don't come out as predictably as they do in most raids, and if one tank goes down the other is gonna die too. Giant hitbox that still has positionals instead of being omnidirectional.

It's a weird combination of making you disinterested while also heavily punishing any errors that come from not paying attention the whole way through. Plus constantly trying to skin the teeth of plus / X and there's always somebody who doesn't quite get out in time.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

It took me literal months of playtime to figure out that Lucid Dreaming was useful for something other than dumping enmity, because FFXIV never bothers to tell you what the Refresh effect does.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

I know it's unsporting to pick on sprouts, but this BRD I had in Haukke normal just now can't possibly have thought he was playing his job correctly:

47% Straight Shot :barf:

:catstare:

This is why Garlemald calls us savages.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Failboattootoot posted:

Meikyo the jinpu damage buff or get it up while running in. Semi-related, that people have somehow internalized running out of tp as bad instead of having done the most damage you possibly could with a limited resource will always grate.

Not being able to push buttons is not fun.

And yeah, optimally you meikyo your jinpu buff and get a quick (and cheap) tenka out before you go into the basic AoE combo. With invigorate, jinpu will run out about when your TP does so if things are still more than quarter-alive after that, it's the rest of the party's fault.

Also if you ever get a goad, comm your fellow dps (and goad them back.)

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

EponymousMrYar posted:

if you ever get a goad

Hahahahahahaha

KoB
May 1, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

Shorts are from the fashion thing, arent they?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

Hahahahahahaha

At least people no longer have the excuse that they had five more important things to set as role actions.

(I use Goad when somebody needs it, but since most pubbies are allergic to letting their tp bar go below 90% full...)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I always had Goad on my bar as a Samurai anyway because any Samurai who regularly uses True North is a coward. :colbert:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Spring Boots and Shorts from the Fashion Report iirc?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jalapeno_dude posted:

It took me literal months of playtime to figure out that Lucid Dreaming was useful for something other than dumping enmity, because FFXIV never bothers to tell you what the Refresh effect does.

I guess that's fair but also it blows my mind that people don't just mouse over buffs/debuffs they get when they see them for the first time. It literally says "Restoring MP".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Stormgale posted:

Can someone get me an arcane bulwark so I can handle this hot take.

What exactly in O10S is worse than Superman 64?

Love this post.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I guess that's fair but also it blows my mind that people don't just mouse over buffs/debuffs they get when they see them for the first time. It literally says "Restoring MP".

Even if you weren't to hover over the debuff surely you'd notice that your MP was regenning?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
freelancing.jpg

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You know that brings up something that's been bothering me.

Maelstrom has good glamours, good city and good PvP, it's obvious why you'd pick that GC

Flames has good glamours, and fast queues, which is especially good if you're a botting piece of poo poo

But who the gently caress actually picks Adders, for any reason.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bolow posted:

You know that brings up something that's been bothering me.

Maelstrom has good glamours, good city and good PvP, it's obvious why you'd pick that GC

Flames has good glamours, and fast queues, which is especially good if you're a botting piece of poo poo

I stayed in Adders long enough to max out my rank and grab some achievements. Maelstrom #1 GC 4 lyfe.

I'm going to have to rotate back to them eventually for Captain and the rest of the achievements. :sigh:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kuvo posted:

freelancing.jpg

Yeah, but those daily wolf marks!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, but those daily wolf marks!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Bolow posted:

I picked Adders because I started as a conjurer and formed a connection to my starting city.

Also gently caress the Maelstrom for having their GC building through an extra area transition. :v:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I will not hear the good name of The Aftcastle be slandered!!!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I will not hear the good name of The Aftcastle be slandered!!!

Asscastle more like it.

It really is the worst part of Limsa. Also the theme really sucks, with it's obnoxious tooty trumpet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

oh no blimp issue posted:

Even if you weren't to hover over the debuff surely you'd notice that your MP was regenning?

Well, I played Black Mage when I started, so I figured that was Umbral Ice.

It was probably around Praetorium that I started using the essential Role Actions more commonly, rather than the meme ones like Drain and Break. :argh:

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I started in Gridania and forged absolutely no connection with my starting city, gtfo and never looked back Mael 4 lyfe.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm still a little chafed that they haven't done anything with the fact that Gridania is basically being held hostage by elemental spirits at literally all times and that due to various reasons we apparently can't fix poo poo in our starting cities like we have now with say, Ishgard and now Doma/Ala Mhigo. The fact that none of the major problems of the Eorzean nations hasn't come up since late ARR/early HW frosts my rear end to no uncertain degree.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

thewizardofshoe posted:

I started in Gridania and forged absolutely no connection with my starting city, gtfo and never looked back Mael 4 lyfe.

Same but flames.

Raub made a better speech. :shrug:

E: Plus being a highlady and learning the backstory of Ala Mhigo makes looking back on this set of events somewhat fitting. Turning up on a cart by myself to attend lancer school. Leaving for Uldah. Seeing the plight of my countrymen. Signing up with Raub out of some sense of longing for home.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 20, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Monathin posted:

I'm still a little chafed that they haven't done anything with the fact that Gridania is basically being held hostage by elemental spirits at literally all times and that due to various reasons we apparently can't fix poo poo in our starting cities like we have now with say, Ishgard and now Doma/Ala Mhigo. The fact that none of the major problems of the Eorzean nations hasn't come up since late ARR/early HW frosts my rear end to no uncertain degree.

The moment Nanamo was revealed to be alive was basically the moment they quietly swept all of the ARR issues under the rug.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Thyrork posted:

Same but flames.

Raub made a better speech. :shrug:

E: Plus being a highlady and learning the backstory of Ala Mhigo makes looking back on this set of events somewhat fitting. Turning up on a cart by myself to attend lancer school. Leaving for Uldah. Seeing the plight of my countrymen. Signing up with Raub out of some sense of longing for home.

he made a good speech but I thought his words were pretty hollow considering he and the sultana didn't seem to actually have the power to back them up (at the time)

meanwhile limsa's theme wears thin and the constant pirate lingo got on my nerves, I get it ya'll are pirates calm it with the nautical jargon for a sec

twin adder kinda won for me by process of elimination

i'm maelstrom now tho 'cause ~*fashion*~

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
O10S takes 5 minutes of boredom to reach the one "hard" part that's more finicky then actually hard, then follows it with 3:30 more of boring with only 1 new thing thrown in(Ahk/Exa). Also Primogenitor is really old at this point and the fact it's just Primogenitor AGAIN without being remixed in any way is just bleh.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

oh no blimp issue posted:

Only if you actually cast it, as opposed to looking at the tooltip, deciding it sounds worthless, and slotting another role action instead (RIP Raging Strikes, and also having a spammable AoE that wasn't tri-bind). Of course I eventually realized how vital LD was, but it was from reading guides and wikis rather than the game itself).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gridania has my single favorite pieces of caster and tank armor in the entire game, and the elder seedseer is my greatest ally. Twin Adders Conquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Free at last.

(The horse is ridiculously huge with a Lala)