Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Conan up front, Ikea in the back. Get some skulls and a big stone fireplace up in that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

this was my bed in 2012 but thank god my living situation has upgraded since then. better furs also, caribou doesn't feel very good and it sheds like a mother fucker

I loved your bed in “The Hateful Eight.”

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

hahah my dogs would absolutely love that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Conan up front, Ikea in the back. Get some skulls and a big stone fireplace up in that poo poo

now that I have a respectable job and decent salary i have nicer furniture, wizard!! <:mad:>

and better pelts!! capitalism worked for me!!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

My parents don't have a card for me or anything but they get to say, "He's our son." which is a real plus for them so

I’m really disappointed they don’t have a stack of your business cards to hand out.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I tried to bold but Jesus Christ

Can my parent demand to watch me use the bathroom [virginia]?

quote:

This is super embarrassing, but I just want to know. Sorry this is gross, if you don't want to read something gross then skip this post.

My parents became convinced I have an eating disorder because one night I wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat with them. It ended with them forcing me to have a meal anyway, which I finished. I had a huge soda with it and had to pee afterwards. They said they had to watch me use the bathroom because I was obviously bulimic and would puke everything back up. It's been years since I had the stomach flu and that was the last time I puked, I'm not trying to restrict my food, I've never made myself vomit on purpose. I refused to pee in front of them but it was painful, for about 2 hours. My mom kept yelling at my dad to drag me into the bathroom, pull my pants down and force me to use the bathroom, which I said was crazy to threaten a 16 yr old girl with. Finally they budged and said that I was allowed to pee without them standing over me, if I left the door open, and if they could inspect my pee after I was finished. I wasn't allowed to flush If the door is open they can still see me from their chair, you can see the bathroom from there through a mirror and the idea of leaving my pee for them to see really grossed me out. I kept saying no until they stormed out and said they were done with my poo poo, said I was a oval office, and said they were gone. I was worried about them because they seemed to be in a state where they might do something stupid. I used the bathroom once they left and then went looking for them.

Sometimes I'll have just eaten when I get home, or I don't have an appetite, but if I don't eat I get threatened they'll physically force me to eat, and with spankings. I often have an appetite and will eat a whole pizza, burgers, fries, tons of unhealthy stuff. I am thin but I'm not starving myself on purpose. I have a healthy BMI but they always tell me I'm underweight and the fact that I know I have a healthy BMI is proof I have an eating disorder since I looked it up. They keep threatening to have me committed to a mental institution.

redditcomment posted:

Do you feel comfortable contacting CPS on your own? If you have a teacher or someone at school you trust (counselor, librarian) or even a friend's parent, please let them know that you are having issues at home and you think its time to contact CPS. Your situation is very damaging, I hope you get help with this right away.

quote:

I don't think I could contact them, it'd be too embarrassing. I just wanted to know if it's normal and legal.

quote:

They're always nice to me the next day and by then I'm just trying not to rock the boat, until the next outburst. I told my school counselor about something similar to the toilet thing and she looked at me like I was disgusting.

quote:

That's the third comment saying that it was directed at them, but she didn't even say anything that indicated that or that she thought it was wrong. She just looked at me all disgusted and weirded out and said "ooooohkayyy welll..." before a slight pause. Then she changed the subject to something else. It was like "why tf are you telling me this". I don't want to go through that again.

quote:

No, I have a hard time just turning in assignments because they have my name on them, and they can associate my name with my face and what I look like. That's just school work. I don't want people to know I exist, talking to teachers about anything personal would be impossible for me. At least I have reddit to tell me it's not normal.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

I’m really disappointed they don’t have a stack of your business cards to hand out.

in fact, they do and I'm not kidding

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Araenna posted:

Well this is just depressing

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Araenna posted:

At first I was skeptical that her counselor wouldn't touch that situation, then I remembered that school counselors aren't paid jack-poo poo. We really need to step up our emotional health in schools. This is an all-around heinous situation.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Leon Einstein posted:

Also, I don't know why so many guys think anal is some holy grail.

Horse metaphor: if you win the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes, it's like not entering the Kentucky Derby.

Once you've run the Kentucky Derby, you might realize that it's pretty overrated and a lot of work to prepare for, so you can be comfortable to know that at least you tried it once. Or, you might want to try again over and over swearing that this time it'll be different.

But you might win.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tech startups have the worst general cultures all around. It's so often a bunch of nerd boys with chips on their shoulder about how they never learned how to dress nicely and see their rick and morty tshirt and hoodie as some bold statement of their rejection of the confusing and arbitrary world of fashion. Then they become a boss and resent anyone who dresses better than them. "Uhg, I don't care about fashion, it's so dumb, no rules at my company, except for a strict "dress like a gross slob nerd" which will be passively aggressively enforced to the letter"

Calling your nerd slob boss's clothing he fished out of the back of a PAX dumpster unprofessional isn't a great idea though, especially since nerd bosses often have ridiculously thin skins.

Had some friends run into this poo poo in the exciting worlds of the Vancouver tech scene, in the most professional of tech settings: gaming startups. One was a very talented artist who also had a great eye for clothing, she could look like she spent $1000 by spending $10 at some lovely charity shops. I mean, being an artist you had to learn how to make do on a small budget and it became a hobby for her, knowing the intake days of all the local 2nd hand shops and getting all the good poo poo. She didn't dress corporate, or flashy, just well. She'd wear the same outfits to work as she would anywhere else. She ended up getting so many backhanded compliments about her outfits from the ill fitting jeans and hoodie brigade. Weird petty jealousy from the couple of other women working there and creepy attention from the boys. The boss was very careful in his words but would always subtly put the blame on her and imply she needed to "tone it down" and "not flaunt her fashion skills". Actually ended up buying a new work wardrobe of more dumpy lovely clothing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Beachcomber posted:

Horse metaphor: if you win the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes, it's like not entering the Kentucky Derby.

Once you've run the Kentucky Derby, you might realize that it's pretty overrated and a lot of work to prepare for, so you can be comfortable to know that at least you tried it once. Or, you might want to try again over and over swearing that this time it'll be different.

But you might win.

Poor Mr Hands.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

That story is phenomenal. It is like those photographs of those weird tiles that are out of place, or the fork where it doesn't belong. It is so impossibly frustrating for reasons that are difficult to explain.

it's like the abstraction of shitposting. like the trolling equivalent of when the art world first encountered cezanne or something

"all the obtuseness, all the difficulty and baiting, but stripped of meaning, reduced to its form, its ESSENCE. my god, it's beautiful"

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I tried compiling the saga of this one wacko estranged parent but it's like 20 pages long and it's all so crazy I can't cut anything. What do?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Someday there will be a chapel of concrete in houston youll be able to go to to sit down and quietely contemplate that post

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ravenkult posted:

I tried compiling the saga of this one wacko estranged parent but it's like 20 pages long and it's all so crazy I can't cut anything. What do?

Kill them.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FELD1 posted:

At first I was skeptical that her counselor wouldn't touch that situation, then I remembered that school counselors aren't paid jack-poo poo. We really need to step up our emotional health in schools. This is an all-around heinous situation.

Yeah. My school counselors ignored all my obvious signs of bipolar and insisted I was just a teenage girl and don't need to go see a therapist outside of school. Guess what I got diagnosed with recently! (though that was a whole bunch of people besides them blowing that off). Worst was when one told my friends that their who had committed suicide that morning was, in fact, not dead and in surgery.

She was getting her organs harvested.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

this needs to be shared, like the tape from The Ring

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Just make a post every day until someone stops you

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Rubellavator posted:

Just make a post every day until someone stops you

I got to one post

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ravenkult posted:

Screenshots and timg?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FELD1 posted:

School counselors are garbage. Mine told me that I probably wouldn't even get into college so I should probably just look into community college or joining the army.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The field of school counseling has come a long way now from what it was when we were kids (on the whole anyway). Whenever I hear what my wife did at work my primary reaction is "wow I wish I had a school counselor who, y'know, did things"

regarding that girl whose parents wanted to check her pee for puke, that counselor is a piece of poo poo, meanwhile my wife is having a really bad time at work this week because she's trying to help a 12-year-old whose parents literally beat him and DCF is being useless

like, yes, if a government agency calls the kid's mom and asks if they hit him of course she's gonna say no, that doesn't mean the case is closed

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ravenkult posted:

there's easily a dozen regular posters who feel zero shame about making 20 pages of posts ITT about which hotdog brands they like and what precise BMI makes a girl too fat for them to want to gently caress, what even is the question here

Pick posted:

now that I have a respectable job and decent salary i have nicer furniture, wizard!! <:mad:>

and better pelts!! capitalism worked for me!!

so is the altar to Crom or Gordon Gekko?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 25, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

School counselors are garbage. Mine told me that I probably wouldn't even get into college so I should probably just look into community college or joining the army.

My only interaction with a school counselor was asking why i should take advice from someone who grew up to be a highschool counselor.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Literally our school counselors only job was to write glowing recommendation letters are highly personalized for each student. Also, if a student was found with drugs, he was the one who would call the parents and softly encourage them to donate more money to the school. There was this one kid in my year, I literally think that the number of times he got caught with hard drugs is the reason that we ended up with a new cafeteria.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

High school counselors' primary job is being the College Application Helper Person and that job sucks yeah

My wife is very smart and works in middle schools because (a) then she doesn't have to do that and (b) middle-school kids need a lot of help

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
in retrospect they probably wanted a new cafeteria and kept checking [redacted]'s locker knowing he'd have an entire array of incredibly illegal poo poo every single time

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Our highschool counselor was also our English Lit teacher and he heavily pushed me to seek out a college specializing in English literature, because I did a really good job on writing an "all the swords in Coriolanus are penises and the wounds are vaginas" paper that he'd assigned.

the vicious cycle of highschool lit teachers making more highschool lit teachers

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

loquacius posted:

The field of school counseling has come a long way now from what it was when we were kids (on the whole anyway). Whenever I hear what my wife did at work my primary reaction is "wow I wish I had a school counselor who, y'know, did things"

regarding that girl whose parents wanted to check her pee for puke, that counselor is a piece of poo poo, meanwhile my wife is having a really bad time at work this week because she's trying to help a 12-year-old whose parents literally beat him and DCF is being useless

like, yes, if a government agency calls the kid's mom and asks if they hit him of course she's gonna say no, that doesn't mean the case is closed

Listen kid, we called up Mr. Bundy and he was very firm about not having done any murders, so I don't know what you want from us

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Haifisch posted:

Obligatory reading whenever estranged parent forums come up. See how many themes from this site you can spot in that lunatic's posts!

Thanks for posting this link, hadn't seen this before and it's 1 million percent worth the read. Someone loving really did the work and did it well and we are all the better for it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

loquacius posted:

High school counselors' primary job is being the College Application Helper Person and that job sucks yeah

Mine couldn't even do that. He seemed fixated on the idea that I should go to school to become a pharmacist because of my grades. Every meeting was just him going on about pharmacy programs

I got ISS for a day because I finally said 'I don't want to be a loving pharmacist, are you even listening to me?!'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think he thought youd be a good drug hookup down the road

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Pick's bed cosplaying as a character from the hit classic Western, Jeremiah Johnson

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Okay here goes. Edited for length only (yeah, I know).

There doesn't seem to be a post about what exactly has happened, but from what I gather, she and her daughter in law had a fight and they got uninvited from their wedding.

Browbeating my husband into not reconciling with our son:

quote:

My husband and I are on the same page, finally, when it comes to what will be or should I say not be. Laying in bed last night I asked him if he still thought we could have a relationship with ES. He said yes. I said I didn’t think so. Typical stance on both sides. So I asked him, what do you think is the most important thing in a relationship? He promptly said trust. Then he said respect and love and caring. So I asked him, do you trust him? He waited to answer and said no. I said, do you feel that he respects us? Again, no. I said do you think someone who would intentionally go out of their way to hurt you emotionally cares or loves you? He said no. So I asked him again, do you see a path to a meaningful relationship with him where we are respected, loved and not used and manipulated? He said no.

Husband meets with him:

quote:

He said that he loved and missed us. Said his gf was raised with coddling parents and just has a hard time with me because I don’t coddle her. Said that we will move forward from here with an understanding that I (mom) will not have any expectations for a relationship with either of them. We are now invited to the wedding again but not expected to do anything. We will work on building trust but I am not holding my breath for any of this. I just know that the gf is hell bent on getting us out of his life and therefore this is meeting is nothing more than my son trying to get a foot in the door or should I say dads wallet.

If he wants to reach out in the future to have an HONEST conversation with me and his father I will agree but as soon as I start hearing lies or manipulation I am out. I am going into this with a hardened heart because I just can’t imagine how someone who professes to love us could be so cruel and disrespectful.

Man, it doesn't really sound like she wants to be in touch with her kid.

Having an extremely normal one:

quote:

He has a maturity problem and can’t deal with his emotions, not me. He is the abuser, not me. It’s almost this mantra I have to go over in my head numerous times a day.

The other way is I come on this forum every morning where I am reminded that children who do this are for the most part cut from the same selfish, self serving cloth and are not likely to change.

I also remind myself that I am not morning the loss of my son as he is today, I don’t like this person at all or the way he makes me feel. I am morning the 12 year old full of love and light I raised. I miss the 5 year old who would run and jump into my arms when he saw me. I am morning the little boy who loved and respected me who I had dreams and aspirations for. When I remind myself that I was a good mom and this estrangement is his choice not mine, I get back to a good place, even when I am having a bad day and feeling sad and angry. Those are the most dominant feelings I have most of the time.

I am worried but hopeful. I would love for it to be a wonderful thing but in the pit of my stomach I know it is not going to be. First he insisted she be with him “that is my terms”. I asked why does there have to be terms. Why can’t you just meet with your parents? What is the problem with that, but if she has to be there that’s fine but I don’t want a crisis or melt down in a restaurant or feigned outrage if I say something she doesn’t agree with or doesn’t like. He then called back and said it would just be him.

I think that he has refused to sit down with me so far because he knows that I can tell when he is lying and it is much harder for him to lie to my face. But I want to ask some pretty pointed questions about why he feels that we are “toxic”. What did we do so we don’t repeat these offences in the future and I want to let him know that moving forward our expectation will only to be treated with respect.

The meeting!

quote:

Meeting went good. Uncomfortable for the first 45 minutes. He wouldn’t look at me when he talked and he couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me why I am toxic other than the way I sometimes make people feel because I am to direct. So I told him that is not the definition of toxic behavior I treat people accordingly.

He said that his girlfriend “isn’t ready” to which I replied well, balls in her court. We are your parents and we are not saying we don’t want you to marry her but it is also in her best interest to grow up and move forward, unless the goal is never to allow you to have a relationship with us again. I could see that hit a cord with him. So I pressed a little further and said, look I am not her competition. I am not trying to take you away from her. Since this whole wedding thing started she has made me feel like the enemy. It’s like her and her mother are completely blocking me out of the planning except when she wants me to agree to pay for a big ticket item and if I ask questions she goes into attack mode. I can’t fix what is broken between us because I didn’t break it in the first place. Just because you love us, your parents, it doesn’t take away from your love for her. Maybe you need to let her know that.

He said he would talk to her about everything when he got home. He told me he loved me and that he wants us at their wedding and it will be worked out by then.

Moving forward we made it clear to him we expect to be respected. I told him that if she is disrespectful, I will call it out immediately no matter where we are. If she doesn’t want to mend this and she wants to hold bad feelings to his parents forever, then I know it will lead to us being out of his life and I am ok with that. We just want to make sure he knows we will always be here for him and he is loved. But that loves doesn’t come with a sign that says doormat across my forehead any more.

You can kinda tell that pretty much everything is ''disrespect'' to her and she probably starts screaming at you for petty poo poo. Well anyway, things seem to be looking up considerably, they're invited back to the wedding, she must be happ-

quote:

I think that something shifted in me when I hugged him goodbye. Like, I was ok if that was the last hug and the last goodbye. Sitting there that evening, sharing a dinner and drinks he was uncomfortable, almost frantic to flee. It was like he was so worried that SHE was going to be walking through the door. At one point I even asked him why are you so jumpy. He said he wasn’t and just changed subject.

I realized upon analyzing the meeting that we where just getting lip service and he didn’t want to look like a bad person for what he has done. He wanted to put it all on her and blame her for the estrangement continuing but honestly if he wanted it to stop he would make her stop. He doesn’t. So it is not her, it is him.

I also came to realize this is not the son I loved. The way he talked, the way he acted, the jumpy nervousness, it just wasn’t him. I even asked my husband if he thinks he may have a substance abuse issue, he said no but we were only there for an hour and he took down 3 micro brew beers and didn’t flinch. He talked about drinking a lot and I know her parents are both heavy drinkers and she has always been one to get a little to lit when we hung out.

Either way, I walked away with my heart better, I guess that is what really matters but I think it was due to seeing a person I didn’t know, realizing that I don’t really like this person and I am not even comfortable around him anymore. I feel like I am being judged and lied to. This is not what I would surround myself with so I think mentally and emotionally I detached. That is the only explanation for this renewed self. I have not cried about him or for him since and have not teared up when talking about it. The only explanation I have come up is DETACHMENT.

Sounds like she's getting over it.

quote:

As I stood at the kitchen sink, looking out the window, tears streaming down my face I pleaded to God, please let me hate him. God, please take my love for him away and put hate in it’s place so I don’t feel like this anymore. I can’t take it.

My daughter who was walking on egg shells all morning, she new I was not having a good day, walked into the kitchen and hugged me and I sobbed. Then my husband came in from work, asked me what was wrong. I blew up on him. For 3 months the same thing was wrong. How can he asked this. He should know, right. Well that led to us having a screaming match to which he said I can “fix it” if I contact my ES. I screamed “I don’t want to fix it, I want to hate him!!!” The look on my husbands face was of shear shock.
lmao

Her daughter in law wants to meet with her and apologize for her part in the argument.

quote:

At one point she got up and walked out. Then came back a couple minutes later. I was on the phone with my husband, told him I checked the last box and was done. When I saw her standing there she just said “so you’re done?” My reply was “yes, I am done. I am done trying to reach out to you and my son and getting nothing but disrespectful behavior back. I am his mother, you will respect me.” She said that she was his fiance and I should respect her. I told her that if she keeps him away from his family she will be the first.

I found out that her mother was the crutch of this separation (which I already knew). Basically her mother was jealous of the relationship she saw her daughter had with me. Because she has issues regarding her own parenting mistakes (FDIL was abused from 4-8 and she didn’t call the cops on the abuser), she felt threatened. FDIL admitted to having BPD and was in treatment for it before meeting my son. She was on mood stabilizers but didn’t like how they made her feel so she stopped taking them and when she had changed jobs, stopped therapy because she didn’t have insurance any longer. When she met my son, she was happy and felt so loved that she thought that she could just manage it. She realizes that she is not managing it and that she is again destroying relationships due to her over reactions.

That is when she broke down, cried and told me that she has had this issue most of her life. She told me of the abuse. She told me that after this issue and the stress that she has felt over the last few months she knows that she needs to get back into therapy.

So the motherly side of me feels sorry for her. I want to help her. I want to make her feel safe.

But then there is the side that completely doesn’t believe a word that she has said and doesn’t trust her. I feel like I backed her into a corner. She was lying about things and I kept calling her out. I told her that she had the emotional maturity of a 5 year old and if she thinks that her marriage will be good if she forces him away from his family she will be met with resentment one day. Not today, not next year but he will eventually miss his family, he will miss his dad’s friendship. He will see that she forced him to choose between us. His friends who have healthy relationships with in-laws enjoying both sides of their families will set in. “He will resent you one day”. This again sent her into a crying fit.

I told her I would support her with therapy but she had to go. If we are going to move forward I need to see that she is making an effort to fix this problem and though I will try to be more patient and understanding it in no way gives her a green light for bad or disrespectful behavior. I will call her out.

We hugged, she told me she loved me and missed me. She sent me a text when she got home that said, “thank you for dinner and not walking away. I’m glad I came back and we talked things out. Thanks for not giving up on me. Goodnight. Love ya.” I replied ” I am glad we agreed to work on things. Love you too.”

We will see were it goes. I am leaving the ball in there court now. If they are serious they will start coming around and contacting us. The wedding plans are on hold right now as she has not done anything since all this started (my guess because our money was cut out of the equation). She said she still is planning to do it in Oct but she needs to scale some things back. Waiting now for the text about what we can again pay for. It’s coming I am sure.

Wow it really seems like the daughter in law opened up to her in an attempt to bridge the gap and put all this behind them (lmao at her theory that the girl's mother was jealous of how close they were).

Anyway, I'm sure it's smooth sailing from here on:

quote:

When I exposed who GF really was and everyone got to see it, she lost her mind. She tried to twist the conversation and make it about me and how horrible I am and it didn’t work. Unfortunately for her, I don’t live a pretend existence. In fact the one thing people always say about me is how real I am no matter where I am. I am always the same person.

She had always come off as this meek and sweet person who was always victimized by other people. Whenever she was upset, mad or anxious it was because someone had done something to her. Never was it that she started the problem, never was she the pusher or the aggressor. So the day that she attacked me and I let her go on social media and just pushed the buttons I knew would get her going she went on full psycho display. Everyone got to see the girl I had been dealing with behind the scenes when she was picking fights or just being nasty to be nasty. She exposed the real “T” to his family and friends.

So, how do you recover from that if you are a liar? How do you turn the tables around to make the facade you have pushed on everyone real again? Especially when you have duped his family and and now they know how you really are? You don’t. You can’t. All you can do is push estrangement. All you can do is tell everyone more lies like, “they are toxic”. “He was raised in a loveless home”. “He is so much happier now that he doesn’t have to listen to the guilt trips his mother took him on his whole life”. Again, lies, facades and scapegoating.

My ES, who was also putting on a fake persona, which I knew he was doing but hoped he actually was striving to be the “great guy” he said he was, now can’t recover either. He was exposed as well. How could this great guy screw over his own parents? How could this great guy treat his own parents so terribly and cruelly? If he was the strong upstanding guy he pretends to be why would he allow his girlfriend to treat his family like that or tell such lies? He can’t. He can’t recover either.

I wish I would have seen her for what she was before he gave her a ring. I wish I could have protected him from what will ultimately be a sad and lonely life. I wish I could go back in time a lot. But I can’t. What I can do is protect my daughter and husband from him and his crazy GF. What I can do is protect myself from further emotional harm. What I can do is continue to live my life as I always have, in truth and strength. Their lies and facade will crumble.

After doing a lot of research on BPD, and the common responses you get from those who have it, I now know what to look for. I know that she is capable of great lies and manipulation. I also know that she is struggling in her own head. I am working on dealing with this type of person with patience and understanding. We have talked. We hashed it out a couple of weeks ago (there is a thread where I explain this meeting), and we have agreed to work this out a day at a time.

After the meeting I now see that her mother is also a liar (said I told her things I never said) a manipulator (turned her daughter against us with feigned offenses about me), and cheered her on when the estrangement happened. I am sure much of her behavior is learned.

I pray that before Oct. my son opens his eyes, sees that she is not the one and also the manipulation he has fallen for. I hope that she loses her mind over something he does (as BPD people do) and he decides a life with that kind of person is no life at all. God please let him see.

Please help, I reconciled with my son but I need to be estranged again because this bullshit feeds me!

quote:

How do I move past this?????? I guess time but everything he does is a question for me and what is the motive. Why is he being nice? Why did he hug me that way? Why did they want to buy us dinner? I mean it can be because he is trying to fix things. That is an option in this scenario. I know this in my heart and it is what I want to believe but after all the manipulation over the past years I just can’t feel relaxed around them and I just can’t feel trust.

This concludes the narrative of this lady's problems. You can tell she really loves her son and wants to be a part of his life.

Maybe we can get some insight into how this woman thinks and why her son might not wanna deal with her poo poo.

quote:

They are considered “adult” because of a birthday only. I am so tired of the generation my son belongs to and my patience with most children their age is little to none. I do believe that we are here because we said enough. How many of you have the “millennial” generation as the EC? These are kids that are currently between the ages of 22 and 36.

In 1946 Dr. Spock released his book and told parents that little Johnny should not be punished with negativity but understood. Pamper him so he would grow into a better person. We need to build their little egos up so they are confident…

So as the time went on and this philosophy took hold here comes the parents of millennials, Generation X. We were raised where the societal norm was much different as well as the technology boom. Our kids had it very easy compared to us and defiantly compared to our parents. Also, this “progressive” movement where you don’t have to be responsible for your actions and feelings are all that matter. This has been the lesson our kids, the millenials have drilled into them day in and day out. It is no wonder they are emotionally and mentally behind in adulthood.

My son is 25 years old and has a hard time maintaining life with a rental and 2 dogs. At 25 I had a 5 year old, mortgage, dogs, car payment and all the bills that go with all that and didn’t view myself as a victim to “society” or think that I was somehow “wronged” by my parents because I didn’t have it all at 25. I took responsibility for myself, my family and set goals for my future and did everything I could to achieve those goals. I didn’t blame my parents when I failed and I didn’t claim victim hood either. I looked at why I failed and tried to learn from it.

Why are so many 22-36 year olds on mood stabilizing medication. In therapy. Unable to take responsibility for their lives, their words, their actions? Why is childhood estrangement so prevalent now and it wasn’t before the 1946 change in parenting? Why are we now seeing arrested development in these children and no direction.

Why are we, the parents on this site estranged? Did we actually expect our kids to adult? Did we have standards? Did we say enough to the abuse? If we allowed them to continue abusing us with words and actions or continue to bail them out would we be estranged? Would you want to go back to that abuse? Is estrangement because we didn’t do enough for them or because we actually did too much for too long?

quote:

OH LORT. So, I will not comply or coddle her…… she knows this and since we are starting a new she needs to understand that being a brat will get her absolutely nowhere. It will also be made clear to my son when she starts the BS. I am not going to let her get away with anything and the less I give her to manipulate, the less she can manipulate.

quote:

All the other times we hung out he has made comments to make me feel bad about myself or self conscious. One night when I am talking about politics with friends he said “why do you always have to talk about politics?” My response was “I didn’t know you were part of the conversation but if you would like to be then this is the topic, if not then find another group to discuss drinking and partying with”. My friends laughed and we continued our discussion.
loving millenials all they do is drink and party!

quote:

I was told that I was too “opinionated”. I was told that I shouldn’t talk about my opinion because it is offensive to “some”. “Some” is their friends who have bought into the same thing your son has. Free speech is only speech that goes along with their ideology. An ideology I happen to disagree with on many many levels. The problem is that I can shoot holes in that ideology with common sense and yes, the constitution. This makes “some” upset because they can’t argue with facts, only feelings. They feel… and one time I said to a particular “woke” individual that why doesn’t he start his statement over and instead of starting with “I feel” try starting with “I think”, Well, his “feelings” were hurt. I insinuated he doesn’t think.

My son then told me that he didn’t want me to comment on his posts anymore because his friends think he was raised with “a right wing nut” for a mom.

The problem is that this generation is so soft and feelings seem to trump facts in their mind. But these same individuals don’t take the “feelings” of others into consideration. If they did this forum wouldn’t be so full. Maybe these “woke” individuals who care so much about “tolerance” should show some to their own parents. Not send letters listing everything the “feel” we did wrong. Not go out of the way to inflict pain on us. Not withhold grand kids. But, we must be silenced. We have an opinion they don’t agree with and in reality don’t want to hear because it makes them “feel” bad about what they are doing or have done. Silencing us is the best way for them to avoid any “feelings” that they did anything wrong.

And the final update, after all this stupid poo poo.

quote:

I have cancelled twice in a week on my son and his gf because I just feel so awkward when we are around them and I get anxiety so bad afterward. Estrangement changed me somehow and I don’t know if I will ever be able to get past this feeling of anger I harbor for his GF, her family and yes, my son.

I just can’t stand him, and when I think about how he went along with her family and shunned his own I just get so angry. When I hear him BSing about crap I just want to scream at him “SHUT UP”. When she talks about the wedding I find myself having to leave the conversation with “I’ll be right back I have to.”

Reconciliation…. I’m not even sure what that really means. I don’t know how I am supposed to act around them. It get’s worse every time I talk to my son. I have to keep the peace until Oct. when the wedding is so as not to upset my parents who are so happy we “worked it out”.

I fear that this is not reconciliation but a dance that we are both doing to appease the family. I don’t feel like my son cares about us at all, and frankly I am not exactly sure where my feelings are either. My DH says that he will “figure it out”. Not quite sure “what” he is supposed to “figure out”.

That poor son of hers.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I cut half of it and it's still a lot. I'm loving exhausted just reading this poo poo, I can't imagine interacting with someone like this in real life.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

The kind of parent you :sever: from and never look back

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I liked the part where the daughter in law was like ''I've been abused and have mental issues'' and she went ''Excellent, now I know what buttons to push and I hate you even more.''

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's fun reading these and seeing echoes of /r/relationships posts in them.

quote:

He said that he loved and missed us. Said his gf was raised with coddling parents and just has a hard time with me because I don’t coddle her. Said that we will move forward from here with an understanding that I (mom) will not have any expectations for a relationship with either of them. We are now invited to the wedding again but not expected to do anything. We will work on building trust but I am not holding my breath for any of this. I just know that the gf is hell bent on getting us out of his life and therefore this is meeting is nothing more than my son trying to get a foot in the door or should I say dads wallet.
This part gave me flashbacks to dozens of "my boyfriend has a terrible mom but doesn't have any spine to stand up to her, now we're getting married, should I do something or...?" posts.

quote:

He said that his girlfriend “isn’t ready” to which I replied well, balls in her court. We are your parents and we are not saying we don’t want you to marry her but it is also in her best interest to grow up and move forward, unless the goal is never to allow you to have a relationship with us again. I could see that hit a cord with him. So I pressed a little further and said, look I am not her competition. I am not trying to take you away from her. Since this whole wedding thing started she has made me feel like the enemy. It’s like her and her mother are completely blocking me out of the planning except when she wants me to agree to pay for a big ticket item and if I ask questions she goes into attack mode. I can’t fix what is broken between us because I didn’t break it in the first place. Just because you love us, your parents, it doesn’t take away from your love for her. Maybe you need to let her know that.
This made me think she flipped a poo poo over the girlfriend not putting up with her poo poo(and helping her son realize this wasn't normal), and did the "you're trying to take my baaaaabyyyyy away from meeee" bit.

quote:

At one point she got up and walked out. Then came back a couple minutes later. I was on the phone with my husband, told him I checked the last box and was done. When I saw her standing there she just said “so you’re done?” My reply was “yes, I am done. I am done trying to reach out to you and my son and getting nothing but disrespectful behavior back. I am his mother, you will respect me.” She said that she was his fiance and I should respect her. I told her that if she keeps him away from his family she will be the first.
And this confirmed it.

quote:

So as the time went on and this philosophy took hold here comes the parents of millennials, Generation X. We were raised where the societal norm was much different as well as the technology boom. Our kids had it very easy compared to us and defiantly compared to our parents. Also, this “progressive” movement where you don’t have to be responsible for your actions and feelings are all that matter.
:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Khazar-khum posted:

What the hell do her parents think she's majoring in? Advanced Nannyism? It sounds like they thought she'd come home and merrily take care of the brats while they run off on a 'vacation', leaving her to deal with their mess. And then, at the end of her college stint, she's coming back to be their personal caregiver.

Ha, you think they need to have a vacation to need help with eleven kids? They're just goddamn overwhelmed by it.

My EVERY experience with families with shitfucktons of kids is that the older girls get to lose their childhoods and become early mothers just to help keep up with the nightmare. I've seen so many cases of the mother just doting on the littlest ones while her oldest daughters end up nannying the rest.

but yikes, still better than whatever the gently caress that thing Ravenkult posted is