Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

Nah you write that it'll be funded by the state seizing the means of production from the capitalist bourgeois pigs.

We'll fund it with a new tax on groundwater extraction, which will coincidentally create a mandate for state-monitored metering of all groundwater extraction for agricultural use; and another new tax on alfalfa and nut tree cultivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nooo, my pistachios

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

We'll fund it with a new tax on groundwater extraction, which will coincidentally create a mandate for state-monitored metering of all groundwater extraction for agricultural use; and another new tax on alfalfa and nut tree cultivation.

You've got my vote. :patriot:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The people complaining about high speed rail complain that it isn't going to go anywhere that is useful for people to take a train. But I'm guessing this is because it got NIMBYed out of useful corridors. Like how Anaheim didn't want it even though it would've been so rad to take your kids to Disneyland on a bullet train.

Opposition to Caltrain Electrification is dumb too. They whine that increased train frequency will cause traffic backups on grade crossings.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Panfilo posted:

The people complaining about high speed rail complain that it isn't going to go anywhere that is useful for people to take a train. But I'm guessing this is because it got NIMBYed out of useful corridors. Like how Anaheim didn't want it even though it would've been so rad to take your kids to Disneyland on a bullet train.

While there is something to this, it's also not how infrastructure works. Creating infrastructure literally creates places for people to go. It's a powerful form of economic stimulus. Not always, of course, but very often.

Moreover, the state's population is rising and will continue to do so: the train isn't intended to only cover capacity for the current demand, but to anticipate and cover capacity for projected demand. Based on current projections, I-5 will be far beyond capacity in really not that long from now.

The best argument I've seen is that the HSR is adding required passenger capacity that we are failing to add at our airports, and that expanding our airports would be just as expensive as HSR, but also a lot less environmentally friendly... and involve eminent domaining land in urban and suburban areas, rather than mostly rural areas.

So if you vote to cancel HSR, well, have fun with your taxes being spent on numerous new runway projects at SFO, LAX, etc.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Leperflesh posted:

I will sponsor and begin signature collection on the "replace every road with a train" initiative, which will write into the California constitution that effective immediately, every road is now a right-of-way for rail, and the state shall allocate all funding necessary to tear up every inch of asphalt and replace it with gleaming, shiny rails from border to border.

I think making it an unfunded mandate makes it even more fun.

I unironically support this.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Winter Rose posted:

I unironically support this.

Honestly I'd be down.

Saw an anti-10 ad today. "No protections for renters!!" gently caress off!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
im glad to see Yes on 8 (for dialysis) finally getting ads on air

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Leperflesh posted:

While there is something to this, it's also not how infrastructure works. Creating infrastructure literally creates places for people to go. It's a powerful form of economic stimulus. Not always, of course, but very often.

Moreover, the state's population is rising and will continue to do so: the train isn't intended to only cover capacity for the current demand, but to anticipate and cover capacity for projected demand. Based on current projections, I-5 will be far beyond capacity in really not that long from now.

The best argument I've seen is that the HSR is adding required passenger capacity that we are failing to add at our airports, and that expanding our airports would be just as expensive as HSR, but also a lot less environmentally friendly... and involve eminent domaining land in urban and suburban areas, rather than mostly rural areas.

So if you vote to cancel HSR, well, have fun with your taxes being spent on numerous new runway projects at SFO, LAX, etc.

I mean, the 99 corridor has way bigger cities on it than the 5, and they’re really underserved by transportation. Fresno, Bakersfield, and Modesto are the three biggest cities in the United States not connected to the Interstate Highway System.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FCKGW posted:

I'm a big ol' lefty and I still think the bullet train is kinda dumb
infrastructure projects are one of the best uses of public money. even if it's "dumb" and underused, and hell, it probably will be for awhile, it's put shitloads of people to work and still does something useful

trickle down is the most horseshit garbage nonsense and i know no one here needs to be told that, but it's important to remember that bottom-up projects are vastly good and powerful economic spurs and the billions being spent on it just don't evaporate into midair and much of it ends up going right back into the economy (and therefore the state's coffers) in all the little ways from spending more on goods and services and reduced poverty (and ergo less crime), and usefully spread over a very large area. we should really be passing like a 100s billion $ projects to build state wind farms (and take over pg&e), state fiber internet provider and run fiber everywhere, calhousing authority and have state build complexes, etc.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
But you don't understand, the bullet train has to slow down on cities.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

our economic overlords are not interested in a robust and functioning economy. what they want is feudalism

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Re: Train stops to nowhere. Wasn't Phoenix a train stop in the middle of nothing when it started? And look at it now.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Or for that matter, Atlanta

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Re: Train stops to nowhere. Wasn't Phoenix a train stop in the middle of nothing when it started? And look at it now.

A crime against god and man?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The devil's rear end in a top hat?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

In hindsight, they shouldn't have built a station there.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Consider the bustling metropolis of Coalinga.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
remember four years ago when lex luthor ran for governor as a republican

and cut an ad where he smashed a toy train with a lumberjack's axe

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Any links to a good rundown on candidates? I'm currently stuck on Hernandez and Kounalakis. My gut says stay away from Kounalakis because of the real estate dad thing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, the DSALA voting guide says Hernandez.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Any links to a good rundown on candidates? I'm currently stuck on Hernandez and Kounalakis. My gut says stay away from Kounalakis because of the real estate dad thing.

The hosts of “LA Podcast”, a weekly Los Angeles local politics podcast, put together an entertaining voter guide with a run down of all the candidates. It’s pretty spot on.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 3, 2018

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

League of Pissed off Voters gave a good explanation of their reasoning:
http://www.theleaguesf.org/voter_guides#lite-gov

quote:

Lieutenant Governor: Ed Hernandez 💩😕💩

Blargh. Do we really need a Lieutenant Governor? We’re skeptical that this office is worth having, and we’re bummed that Gayle McLaughlin (former Mayor of Richmond and progressive hero) didn’t finish in the top two in June. Two establishment Democrats did, and one of them will become a semi-high profile leader in California, so we’re going with the one who has the most receipts we can analyze.

The Lt. Governor doesn’t have much real power, except with the Governor is out of the state, but they do serve on a bunch of important boards--the State Lands Commission, UC Regents, and CSU Board of Trustees being the most important--and appoints people to a number of others.

Ed Hernandez is an optometrist turned termed-out state Senator from the San Gabriel Valley. He has a long record of votes and legislative scorecards that show him landing somewhere between the progressive and squishy-middle camps in Sacramento, depending on the issues. He’s been solid on labor, education, and women’s issues, but squishy on some environmental, tax, and health care issues. In his 12 years in Sacramento, he’s taken $42K in fossil fuel money and voted against a 2014 moratorium on fracking. But he hasn’t taken any oil money this election and pledged not to. He’s also taken $200K from drug companies since 2011, but he also pissed them off by sponsoring 2017’s SB17, the strongest drug pricing transparency law in the country. That led PHARMA to drop $200K opposing Hernandez for Lt. Governor (AKA the “Lite Gov”).

Eleni Kounalakis was Obama’s ambassador to Hungary, and like most ambassadors it seems like she got that appointment because she comes from money. Her family made a fortune in real estate, and she was the President of their company, AKT Development. Her family has dropped $8 million on this race (her first run for office)! It rubs us the wrong way when rich people blow millions promoting their own campaigns--especially when they’re not championing specific issues. If she wanted to spend that money to make herself a leader, why couldn’t Kounalakis have spent that money on making herself the face of a progressive ballot measure? Probably the most substantive role the Lite Gov holds is a seat on the State Lands Commission. We’re concerned the Kounalakis family’s real estate interests could present conflicts of interest there. Climate activists are also upset that she’s taken in hundreds of thousands from the Western States Petroleum Association who are tenants in one of her Sacramento buildings. She says that money is now being directed to a foundation to fight climate change.

Both of these candidates talk good games on issues like making college affordable, protecting the climate, and building affordable housing. They would both probably be fine at this do-nothing job. Neither of them are the type of transformative, people-power-focused leader we’re looking for. So we’re going with Ed Hernandez because he gives us a better idea of what to expect from him.

Side note: the lieutenant governor used to serve as warden at San Quentin. We think having this role would have been good for keeping Gavin preoccupied.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Any good judicial voting guides? DSA-LA had a basic “which governor chose which judge” kind of deal, but I’m in the 1st appellate district so different judges.m

Edit: ^ actually LOPO Voters had something that seems about as qualified as you can get for local judges (looked at conservative blogs and chose the opposite) so there you go.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 3, 2018

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Midterm question: I mailed in my ballot last week, but my county website still isn't showing it as received or accepted. If it's still not processed when Tuesday rolls around, can I stop by a voting booth and cast some type of provisional/backup ballot, in case my mail in one is lost?

Edit: I'm slightly concerned cause I accidentally signed the authorized returner section in the top left of the envelope, not realizing that was only necessary if someone other than yourself were dropping off the ballot. This isn't Georgia, so I wouldn't think that would cause them to reject my ballot, but still I'd like confirmation it was accepted.

Euphoriaphone fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 3, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Riverside County rejected my ballot because my ballot signature didn’t match my drivers license signature from like 20 years ago so anything is possible.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1059211815723372545

turns out not campaigning is a pretty good strategy

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Leperflesh posted:

I like where this is going (specifically: traintown)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/JanzforCongress/status/1059511620362108928

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where is everyone planning on getting their results from? Any particular website better than others?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Zuul the Cat posted:

Where is everyone planning on getting their results from? Any particular website better than others?

I plan on getting my results from the bottom of a whiskey bottle. I know election results are down there, I just need to get rid of all that dark fluid for them to reveal themselves to me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I mostly go straight to the source: https://vote.sos.ca.gov/ and my County Clerk-Recorder's results page. Then probably 538 and/or the Needle of Doom for non-California races.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Huffington post is going to have a thing tracking the results, i was gonna use that.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a TV/IV thread in CSPAM that I'll follow if I follow at all.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My ballot was counted in Santa Clara despite having a different signature than my idiot 16-year-old self.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

Midterm question: I mailed in my ballot last week, but my county website still isn't showing it as received or accepted. If it's still not processed when Tuesday rolls around, can I stop by a voting booth and cast some type of provisional/backup ballot, in case my mail in one is lost?

Edit: I'm slightly concerned cause I accidentally signed the authorized returner section in the top left of the envelope, not realizing that was only necessary if someone other than yourself were dropping off the ballot. This isn't Georgia, so I wouldn't think that would cause them to reject my ballot, but still I'd like confirmation it was accepted.

Wait I thought we were all being paid for voting multiple times

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

My ballot was counted in Santa Clara despite having a different signature than my idiot 16-year-old self.

do you have an ethnic or black looking name or more of a WASPy kind of name

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm going to wait till Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Anyone have a link to any reliable polling on Prop 6 and 8?

Depending on which newspaper I am reading online Prop 6 is either dead in the water or surging ahead in the polls.