Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

I finally had a chance to watch that pigeon trailer and I, too, lost interest when the cool spy turned into the pigeon. I wanna watch the cool spy. I don't know what the story would be, but bring back the cool spy. Maybe Army of Darkness him so he can be cool in the Middle Ages, but now he has to learn to deal with this goddamn demon magic nonsense? I don't know. Show me a man stepping seamlessly into a drifting car and ignoring an explosion behind him for 90 minutes.

Yeah it really is kind of a downer because the human design for the spy is great and I loved watching him move because the animation was so fluid. Meanwhile the bird design is, well, bad and I hate it.

Renoistic posted:

A lot of people seem to be upset that Lilo has issues and isn't the 'perfect' little girl. Hell, I remember my sister saying she hated the movie because of how Lilo was acting up
She'd been watching it with her young son so that might've been a factor.

I love Lilo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lilo is pretty weird and it plays into her character given she has trouble making friends and ends up getting along best with aliens, and I guess people who have no tolerance for anyone the slightest bit weird just don't find that relatable at all.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Very bothered by the thought of people from other cultures not liking a cartoon character

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Eeeeh. I guess if this is the only character from your culture that hits mainstream consciousness, it might suck that they're the "weird" one. I don't know, it doesn't quite happen to me when I see Italian characters in media, but I'm not exactly a minority.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Might be easier if they keep everyone white then? <--- *entire development teamily*

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Japan's also not a big fan of Chihiro from Spirited Away for the same reason. I think while Americans miss a lot of the cultural references in that movie, they tend to have more sympathy for the main character.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thinking about the things that give me minority status in Western media, I'm more interested in seeing those traits given to interesting, developed characters rather than idealized. I'm really not into the notion that a single character has to represent everyone of my sexuality, for example. And part of that comes from a history of media struggling with the idea that women are human, so I guess I just feel differently. v:v:v

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDKWbg2xjg

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Thinking about the things that give me minority status in Western media, I'm more interested in seeing those traits given to interesting, developed characters rather than idealized. I'm really not into the notion that a single character has to represent everyone of my sexuality, for example. And part of that comes from a history of media struggling with the idea that women are human, so I guess I just feel differently. v:v:v

I think often people resonate more with the flawed characters? I certainly tend to like genuinely flawed female characters. (And not the "she's clumsy and/or has little boobies" "flaws".)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ccs posted:

Japan's also not a big fan of Chihiro from Spirited Away for the same reason. I think while Americans miss a lot of the cultural references in that movie, they tend to have more sympathy for the main character.

which is bizarre, given I can't think of anything she did wrong at all in the movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
She moped

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
She cried openly once, I think? Oh and she did stuff without asking her captor for permission!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ccs posted:

In the book that Grave of the Fireflies is based on the main character is supposed to be unsympathetic because he failed to take care of his little sister.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

which is bizarre, given I can't think of anything she did wrong at all in the movie.

She's supposed to come off as selfish and a bit of a cry baby, it's just it's done in a way that doesn't come off as selfish at all to western audiences and everything she cries about is pretty drat justified.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Her dad was more of the faulty character/rear end in a top hat to my western eyes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alhazred posted:

In the book that Grave of the Fireflies is based on the main character is supposed to be unsympathetic because he failed to take care of his little sister.

Yeah the interpretation of that movie from the perspective of the people who made it seems so bizarre. But whatever, not my culture, I'll just take a different message from it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I kiiiinda get it? Seita's value of honor led to his and his sister's deaths. Their aunt was an awful person, but they really did need her to survive and he chose for both of them to leave because he resented her treatment. She was a mean bitch, not dangerous. I believe the commentary was on Japan's value of honor leading to their demise? (And if you look at how few Japanese POWs were captured and why... Man.)

The issue is, Seita was a little boy and wasn't capable of making decisions like that. But he can still stand as a representative for WW2 Japan. Unless I misunderstood Takahata's explanation, which is also possible.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alhazred posted:

I think a lot of that could be due to guilt felt by the author: Akiyuki Nosaka, the man who wrote the short story Grave of the Fireflies, really did have a little sister who died of malnutrition and he blames himself for her death because he failed to give more of his food to her even though he was just as starving as she was :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So Overwatch shorts get posted in here from time to time, this has been a big thing the past couple of days. League of Legends put out a music video for four of their characters (based off the k-pop skins they are getting in the game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4

I don't give a poo poo about League of Legends or know anything about it but I am in love with this video.

The girl with the hat and the spray paint :swoon:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats Akali, the game is not that fun or high energy and they made the goddamn lady tank in full plate armor have high heels and that still bugs me unreasonably from a character design standpoint.

Watched Smallfoot, the animation was neat and the Karey Kirpatrick must have cleaned house on its modest success as they are writer, producer, and director. Kind of weird it tried to be villainless and also a paranoid conspiracy theorists self-validating dream film.

Also weird that ive noticed that even in CGI danny devito must play short characters

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, League basically killed all the higher energy game modes because it "Dilutes the game" - so that video is the direct opposite of what to expect for actual play and it's playerbase is legendarily toxic even by MOBA standards.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Macaluso posted:

So Overwatch shorts get posted in here from time to time, this has been a big thing the past couple of days. League of Legends put out a music video for four of their characters (based off the k-pop skins they are getting in the game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4

I don't give a poo poo about League of Legends or know anything about it but I am in love with this video.

The girl with the hat and the spray paint :swoon:

I love it.
League always does the coolest NPR rendering with their short films. It's stuff like this that gets me excited about CG animation as opposed to "well we figured out a way to increase the haircount on our characters!"

Studio Mir just released this short film which is supposed to generate buzz for a future series or feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CurciFKenEg

It's based on this concept trailer from a while ago from a Disney animator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzXJv7S2UQ

It's cool we get to see this stuff because a lot of this sort of "pilot trailers" never see the light of day for most projects. Studios I've worked at had their most talented people slaving away at incredible looking trailers that would only ever be seen by a few executives who would then decide if the series would be greenlit. Even if it was, those pilots were buried because they invariably looked way better than the finished product that is handled by a regular contract crew.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ccs posted:

League always does the coolest NPR rendering with their short films. It's stuff like this that gets me excited about CG animation as opposed to "well we figured out a way to increase the haircount on our characters!"

I was curious watching it actually, would you start with the actual models etc. from the game or do you end up just reproducing them in whatever tool you actually use to animate them? Unless the game engine itself somehow gives you the control and affordances required to make something like that?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I was curious watching it actually, would you start with the actual models etc. from the game or do you end up just reproducing them in whatever tool you actually use to animate them? Unless the game engine itself somehow gives you the control and affordances required to make something like that?

The in game models are too low poly so they probably sculpt them in Zbrush separately based on concept art, and set up all the textures and shaders based on what the video will require. Maya is probably the core software that they render the layers to composite in. Some companies are starting to use game engines for their tv shows but I assume something as high budget as a Riot video wouldn't make the video in the game engine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The annoying thing is these aren't in-house videos, but Riot never credits the studio or who worked on them. Fortiche in France made that one and the previous "Rise" video, but Blur has also done uncredited work for them with the "A New Dawn" cinematic. Only way to know who animated on them is when the work eventually surfaces on people's demo reels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From all indications Riot is a really scummy business even by video game standards, just with slightly more PR efforts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From all indications Riot is a really scummy business even by video game standards, just with slightly more PR efforts.

Well, I mean, theyre owned by Tencent.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

Well, I mean, theyre owned by Tencent.

Oh boy

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Even prior to Tencent's acquisition, Riot was pretty awful in how they treated women and they focused so much on eSports to the detriment of the non competitive players and anyone trying to play in ways contrary to meta.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah there was significant reporting just this year on the conditions there for women: https://kotaku.com/inside-the-culture-of-sexism-at-riot-games-1828165483/amp

they paid some lip service to fixing it at the time but i don't expect there was much change. and just like the naughty dog sexual assault thing, it got eaten up by other gaming controversies and people continuing to play their games unabated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Robindaybird posted:

Even prior to Tencent's acquisition, Riot was pretty awful in how they treated women and they focused so much on eSports to the detriment of the non competitive players and anyone trying to play in ways contrary to meta.

This is so bizarre to me. League of Legends was always the lovely game that cut half the things that made competitive DotA skillful and interesting (well, such as it is) and of course DotA clones in general are "what if we made an RTS but without all the parts that are actually physically demanding."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

why doesn't the grinch sound grinchy? why did they give him that wimpy nice guy voice and personality?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Because it's Burlington Coatfactory

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really like Illumination's style but I'm gonna avoid Grinch, it just feels so bloodless.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Because it's Burlington Coatfactory

What does this mean?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Ccs posted:

I really like Illumination's style but I'm gonna avoid Grinch, it just feels so bloodless.

From a while ago but:

Beachcomber posted:

Til my dying breath will I insist that the platonic ideal of the Grinch was achieved in 1966 by Chuck Jones and Thurl Ravenscroft.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mantis42 posted:

What does this mean?

He's talking about Benihana Cumberbunt

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i don't understand why they won't just have Bridalshower Chuckwagon use his regular voice. you hired him, make him be british.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite part is all the tie-in stuff for the Grinch clearly only got permission for animations and some non-Bungalow Camryhatchback grunts so in these dozens of cross promotion clips the grinch is this weird non speaking barely emotive beast and its honestly far more unsettling than any single thing in the film.