Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Maybe it'll play itself like lineage

Lineage II revolution is a great incremental game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks, but wordplay aside, that is the correct answer. It's one of the weirder stories because it's almost like a greek myth. Jesus got mad at a fig tree and cursed it with his godly powers. I don't think I really ever got if there was a moral behind it, but it was more like one of those "lets explain why nature does this thing" which seems really out of place for the New Testament.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe the guy that wrote that version of the bible was pissed about his neighbour's fig tree that kept making a mess of his yard over the fence and clogging up his gutters but their housing strata wouldn't agree to get him to cut it down.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fig trees ooze a milky sap that gets mega itchy if you let it dry on your skin. Also there's the wasp thing. I assume these are both because of Jesus.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fig trees are like stinging dicks okay

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What are the current hot idle click button games, I need something to make time go by at a new job.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Potsticker posted:

Thanks, but wordplay aside, that is the correct answer. It's one of the weirder stories because it's almost like a greek myth. Jesus got mad at a fig tree and cursed it with his godly powers. I don't think I really ever got if there was a moral behind it, but it was more like one of those "lets explain why nature does this thing" which seems really out of place for the New Testament.

I never heard any explanations of it either, but this suggests that it's a parable about the nation of Israel - apparently people back then thought fig trees that didn't bear figs were worthless, so the warning was that just as the figless fig tree would completely wither away at Jesus' power, so too would the nation of Israel for rebelling against their God (if they didn't shape up or something). It's still a very weird story and that interpretation doesn't come across clearly at all.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Potsticker posted:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I never heard any explanations of it either, but this suggests that it's a parable about the nation of Israel - apparently people back then thought fig trees that didn't bear figs were worthless, so the warning was that just as the figless fig tree would completely wither away at Jesus' power, so too would the nation of Israel for rebelling against their God (if they didn't shape up or something). It's still a very weird story and that interpretation doesn't come across clearly at all.

OK I was super skeptical of that article, but having read a thesis on the fig tree now it seems like the two dominant interpretations are:

(1) roughly consistent w/ the article -- Jesus curses the tree, then goes to clear the temple of the lovely moneychangers, then they come back and find the fig tree withered. So, this story must be about the destruction of Israel and the second temple, which is roughly contemporaneous to when Mark would have been writing the Gospel (probably -- not 100% clear though)
(2) the middle section with the temple isn't related, and this is just about Jesus's power over nature and miracles. This has the advantage of working as an interpretation even if Mark was writing during the earlier part of the estimated time range, which was prior to the Jewish Revolt and the destruction of the temple.

In both cases they seem to make a solid argument that some sort of figs would have been expected at that time of year given that the tree had leaves, but they may have been lovely small baby figs anyways.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

Wandle Cax posted:

What are the current hot idle click button games, I need something to make time go by at a new job.

Almost a hero

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Praxis Prion posted:

Almost a hero

they said idle, AAH is anything but

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm still playing Tap Wizard, it's very hands off and a game you can have running at your desk and interact with it once every now and then which I think is why I like it so much. It's pretty great, although I'm definitely in the backend of the game now and things have for sure slowed down.

I'm done with it now but I played Idle Apocalypse for a while there, it also has a nontraditional take on the tapping thing, only tapping in short bursts to charge your generator which then runs for a while before powering down. There's kind of a materials grind in that one where you produce mats to make creatures who get you advanced mats that you need to make advanced creatures, etc.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Montalvo posted:

help me i'm addicted to holedown

I played this for like 2 hours yesterday and it was pretty great. Went to play more today and my save was gone. I really want to play but don't want to have to restart all three time :(

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

I played this for like 2 hours yesterday and it was pretty great. Went to play more today and my save was gone. I really want to play but don't want to have to restart all three time :(

This happened to me when I first started too, but I managed to persist. It hasn't happened since.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm late to the party I know, but in my quest to play all of the goddamn idlers/clickers I just picked up Egg, Inc for the first time and this game's pretty good! It seems simple enough so far but has been pretty fair doling out the premium currency. Is there anything I should consider paying for in this game? I saw the $5 upgrade for the silos to let you collect more while away but getting 2 hours from the two silos you can buy seems alright for now so I wasn't sure.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kheldarn posted:

As reported in the iOS Games thread, some Chinese company did a lovely knock off of Diablo, and now Blizzard is paying them to resin it to Diablo. They say avoid at all costs.
Is there any more info/links on this? I'm super disappointed with the entire timeline of Diablo poo poo leading up to/including Blizzcon and would like to be able to write this lovely sounding game off ASAP

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Is there any more info/links on this? I'm super disappointed with the entire timeline of Diablo poo poo leading up to/including Blizzcon and would like to be able to write this lovely sounding game off ASAP

All I have are this post from the iOS thread:

big cummers ONLY posted:

I still play WoW and D3. Both only on ocassion but when I'm into them, I binge the hell out of them. But that is in spite of all their horrific fuckups. 2018 blizz ain't 2002 blizz.

To keep it relevant to this thread: the big takeaway is that the gameplay they showed looked like a straight reskin of all the garbage iOS ARPGs we know and sometimes love (Marvel Future Fight, and whatever that dumb autoplaying MMO was that everyone poo poo themselves over earlier this year). And then someone said "hey this looks a LOT like this other game made by the same company" and boy it looks exactly like that game. Then we learned that even in China - one of the largest markets for games that are all about pain points and microtransactions - NetEase is known for being dogshit.

In a genre that is characterized by companies finding the most effective way to milk their playerbase, NetEase is too abusive.

Things look bad for Diablo Immortal.

This post from the D3 thread:

Holyshoot posted:

a big yikes if this is true

quote:

To clarify I am not Chinese, but I was perusing the forums and a Chinese user posted this-

"In China, we call net ease as "pig farm" which mean, they do not treat player as normal human but pigs. If EA is like a 2 out of 10, Netease is -2859

The funny thing is, in NA, players hate the mobile game.But in China, we are ok with mobile game, but we are not OK with Netease mobile game. Thats how bad it is."

With everyone talking about how it's because blizzard wants to cater to that market I think they should read this. Also it wasn't just this post, several other Chinese users on the d3 forum said similar things.

And this from reddit. It appears Blizzard deleted the anti-NetEase comments from their forums.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Blizzard is doing the classic "we know best" stance. They are gonna run their diablo series straight into the game and then blame gamers on their failures.

Unfortunately since we are in the hell dimension, they will be fine financially and continue to make bad decision after bad decision for at least 15 years more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a new Kingdom Rush game up for pre-register. Kingdom Rush Vengeance. You play as the bad guys and it looks like it's gonna be insanely good

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shwqa posted:

Blizzard is doing the classic "we know best" stance. They are gonna run their diablo series straight into the game and then blame gamers on their failures.

Unfortunately since we are in the hell dimension, they will be fine financially and continue to make bad decision after bad decision for at least 15 years more.

Gamers will still play it and drop thousands chasing the best numbers because Blizzard fans are dumb. All they have to do is give you something in Wow every 50 bucks and boom instant money

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh I stopped a while ago, sorry dude. Also, a lot of the "players" you loot in the game are AI. Pretty deceptive.

PUBG mobile rocks though. It's an amazingly well done port. Did they just redo the entire game in Unreal?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

People need to realize Blizzard is gone. If someone can correct me if I'm wrong, there are no founders of blizzard in any leadership or head developer positions are blizzard any longer. At this point it's all generation 2 or 3 leadership there. Activision has had a hold of the company for nearly a decade now, and their influence shows. The rumor floating around too is that FY19 they were adjusting the bonus structure there and it's what cause Morheim to finally leave himself.

Blizzard might still be Blizzard in name, but the people with the true passion for games that founded the company are gone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've discovered picross and now I have a problem

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RBA Starblade posted:

It's fine, just look for the rows and columns you can fill in first and soon you'll be on your way to the next problem.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The problem is insolvable for the inferior minded!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually the problem was that you had not yet discovered Picross. What you have now is the solution.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

This is why I'm not touching any picross app until Pictlogica Final Fantasy gets a Global release. I'll never have a picross problem that way! :shepicide:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, what IS everyone's favorite picross game these days?

I've been playing Hungry Cat, but the interstitial stuff is annoying me and IDGAF about buying poo poo for cats.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Zotix posted:

People need to realize Blizzard is gone. If someone can correct me if I'm wrong, there are no founders of blizzard in any leadership or head developer positions are blizzard any longer. At this point it's all generation 2 or 3 leadership there. Activision has had a hold of the company for nearly a decade now, and their influence shows. The rumor floating around too is that FY19 they were adjusting the bonus structure there and it's what cause Morheim to finally leave himself.

Blizzard might still be Blizzard in name, but the people with the true passion for games that founded the company are gone.

This is the fate of every publicly traded company. every decision made that doesn't produce the maximum amount of dollars violates the public trust and is a breach of responsibility on the part of the company.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, what IS everyone's favorite picross game these days?

I've been playing Hungry Cat, but the interstitial stuff is annoying me and IDGAF about buying poo poo for cats.

Hungry Cat is still mine. I also don't care about the fluff in the recent overhaul, but the core game is still fantastic.

After that it's probably PixelPuzzle then Griddlers Plus.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speaking of fluff that tries to get in the way of gameplay...

... I must admit, I play Homescapes a lot :negative: I actually really like the polished take on match-3, especially with the addition of the 2x2 airplane boost. But there's this house decoration but bullshit that's only useful for getting bonuses for the actual game.

It's F2P, which I normally hate, but the 5-lives-and-then-wait-for-the-timer ACTUALLY helps me not get burnt out on the whole drat thing.

How... How did the mechanic I hate cause me to actually enjoy a game with it in it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of fluff that tries to get in the way of gameplay...

... I must admit, I play Homescapes a lot :negative: I actually really like the polished take on match-3, especially with the addition of the 2x2 airplane boost. But there's this house decoration but bullshit that's only useful for getting bonuses for the actual game.

It's F2P, which I normally hate, but the 5-lives-and-then-wait-for-the-timer ACTUALLY helps me not get burnt out on the whole drat thing.

How... How did the mechanic I hate cause me to actually enjoy a game with it in it?

Lol you know this game has a force you to lose levels built into right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol you know this game has a force you to lose levels built into right?

If that's true, I'm not at all surprised. I like matching things, Bejeweled-style, and I'll never pay anything for this game, ever. The way I see it, whether or not I'm paying money to get further, I'll still a) be matching things, and b) come up against a wall that'll take me a while to get over.

It's weird how pointless paying for anything in this game is. That applies to a lot of games, I'm sure.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If that's true, I'm not at all surprised. I like matching things, Bejeweled-style, and I'll never pay anything for this game, ever. The way I see it, whether or not I'm paying money to get further, I'll still a) be matching things, and b) come up against a wall that'll take me a while to get over.

It's weird how pointless paying for anything in this game is. That applies to a lot of games, I'm sure.

It is. A lot of the big match games do it. If you are winning a ton the difficulty of levels increases passivley and the rarity of the object you need to win is decreased. This is supposed to frustrate you to buy lives or power ups to get over the hurdle. Most of these games also have a thing where if you do not log in for a few days the next log in will get you a nice win streak to get you rehooked.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Epic Seven launches Thursday for those of you into those games. Apparently it's one of the most polished good looking gacha games. I'll probably try to weave it in alongside Dragalia as long as I can.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

holy crap you nerds i just wanted to :psyduck: the existence of a cruddy free2pay bible quiz game

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Zotix posted:

Epic Seven launches Thursday for those of you into those games. Apparently it's one of the most polished good looking gacha games. I'll probably try to weave it in alongside Dragalia as long as I can.

To add on to this the main draw of EPIC 7 is the unique game engine it runs on "Yuna engine" it brings the ANIME to life.

So it feels different from all the cookie cutter games, its still a gatch game but packaged in a kawaifu Anime engine.:japan:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone playing Project Highrise on a phone? Worth it? I haven't played the game at all, but I'm willing to check it out, and I have the credits to burn.

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

The Pixel Puzzle update changed the cooldown for boss puzzles to 3 hours!

I've been playing mostly Hungry Cat between boss puzzles because I'm afraid I'll run into the situation where I run out of non-boss puzzles.

I just found out about Picross a week ago in this thread and I'm now obsessed. Thanks to everyone for suggesting it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

holy crap you nerds i just wanted to :psyduck: the existence of a cruddy free2pay bible quiz game

Nerds wouldn't post on Something Awful! I thought it was being posted because Jesus cursing a tree is a pretty :psyduck: thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I downloaded this Hungry Cat Picross game and I have to say it's a bit addictive. I stayed up till well past midnight and ended up around level 150 and I had planned on going to bed early.