  • Post
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

Real answer: A little bit of exploitation is inevitable and can be tolerated. Like owners earning a bit more than their workers. Exploitation to the point people are stuck in an endless cycle of poverty isn't fine. Like owners earning 100x what their indentured servants are paid.

CEOs are currently making over 300x their workers, and that’s a conservative estimate

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

MonsieurChoc posted:

What if, get this, the workers owned the means of production?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

qkkl posted:

Ok I came up with a reason why an employer would want to hire workers even if they had to be paid exactly the value they created. The situation would be where alone the employer could not produce any value, but with the combined efforts of workers some value could be produced, so if the employer was also one of the workers then they'd get some small value out of hiring workers.

The tricky part is determining how much value each worker produces, because you want to pay them exactly the value they produce, otherwise they're either being given wealth they didn't produce or are having wealth extracted from them. Bezos detractors are merely arguing that the value he creates is much less than the value he is given.

I think you've just re-invented Syndicalism.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

jeff bezos produces hundreds of millions of dollars of value daily by his own two hands

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

got any sevens posted:

yall keep takin the bait

you have a lot more faith in people than I do

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

World War Mammories posted:

you have a lot more faith in people than I do

the rap sheet tells you what you need to know, it's pretty obviously bait

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

qkkl posted:

I'd be more scared of someone who wants to kill than someone who doesn't want to share. Imagine what other things that person might want to kill for.

Capitalism kills in huge numbers. Consider healthcare. Healthcare is insanely profitable due to high prices. High prices in healthcare prevents access to care. Low/no access to care kills people. Obamacare's inadequate so this problem continues.

Look at these things:

Article: New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage
From: The Harvard Gazette
Date: 2009 SEP 17

Article: Actually just a portfolio backtester
Reminder: The S&P 500 is the gold standard for equities performance.

$10k in 1985. Blue is VGHCX, Vanguard's healthcare fund.

VGHCX is hungry

VGHCX must be appeased

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

jeff bezos produces hundreds of millions of dollars of value daily by his own two hands

Magic fingers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Amazon $15 update: they've been having the process assistants walk around basically begging people to accept voluntary unpaid time off [VTO] to leave shift early; they've offered me (a person in a critical role which means I usually rarely even get the offer) VTO more than once for the same shift before I get there which is unprecedented because usually it fills up instantly; we've been getting the packages done earlier because there's more people staying to work, but upper management is also kicking us out of the building earlier, since usually myself and some others will stick around and finish off some poo poo to make the late night shift's job easier in getting pallets of packages out faster, but tonight I was told we're all getting cleared out of there. Also, most telling, they fired a couple managers who were getting paid more than $15 so they could replace them with managers who - because $15 isn't a "minimum" remember, but rather a "this is exactly what everyone is paid now" - only make $15.

I wish there was some other way to get rare (well, rare here) books easily other than Amazon. Although I'm ordering from third parties, Bezos still gets a cut.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bezos always gets his cut

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

What if, get this, the workers owned the means of production?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shear Modulus posted:

jeff bezos produces hundreds of millions of dollars of value daily by his own two hands

have the hands mounted and displayed in the public gallery

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

qkkl posted:

What would the workers be doing if they weren't being exploited by capital? Any worker that doesn't work for themselves is going to be exploited by their employer, because otherwise there would be no point in hiring people if you have to pay them exactly the value that they produce.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

They would be using the means of production to create the things that they and their comrades need and want, OP.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Crazycryodude posted:

Jeff Bezos has hoarded the wealth equivalent to the GDP of a medium-sized country, not the savings of a small town lol

E: beaten

GDP is a rate, savings is a volume, wealth is also a volume

no one understands units

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Nov 4, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Look at this fuckin nerd

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Modest Mao posted:

GDP is a rate, savings is a volume, wealth is also a volume

no one understands units

The comparison can still be made & is illuminating.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mycomancy posted:

Easy, the person who has hoarded resources that equal a small town's population's savings, that's who's evil.

Also gently caress off with that poo poo outta here, "sharing" isn't the word. We're talking about class warfare, northing more or less.

He has a major city's population's savings

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

He has a major city's population's savings

Seems like he has way more than that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

Seems like he has way more than that.

its actually still less than, like, new york or los angeles. but deffo comparable to like, phoenix or san diego

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

According to Credit Suisse's "world wealth report", the median personal wealth in the US is $59,876, Bezos is worth $137.6 billion, or as much as 2,298,083 americans. The world median is $3,582, so Bezos is worth as much as 38,414,293 people globally.

So, serial killers, take note. Killing 1 rich person is better than killing 2 million joggers in the park.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
what’s even better is Bezos jr will split his time between “managing the Bezos Foundation” and loving Instagram models on his space yacht while rotating ceos continue to make the lives of thousands of workers terrible to make money for shareholders of Amazon

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Bezos had several cities lining up to suck his dick, and then they argued over who was willing to degrade themselves more for him. His power goes well beyond his wealth.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Here's what some of them offered:

Atlanta: Atlanta's mayor, Kasim Reed, said the city would offer incentives and development that would be worth more than $1 billion. In Stonecrest, a Georgia city about 20 miles east of Atlanta, the mayor offered to rename it "Amazon" and instate Jeff Bezos as the permanent mayor.

Boston: The city proposed an "Amazon Task Force" in its 109-page bid. It would essentially entail paid city staffers whose sole purpose is to represent Amazon's interests to Boston's government.

Columbus, Ohio: The Midwestern city offered Amazon tax breaks for 15 years, including 100 percent property tax abatement, and a 35 percent income tax refund. These offers would save Amazon millions in taxes for more than a decade.

Newark, New Jersey: This is the big one. Newark is offering Amazon $7 billion in tax incentives, the largest one among all 238 cities that made a bid.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
We got no money to spend on the citizens, but here's a billion dollar handjob to Bezos for the mere potential of adding a few thousand jobs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Woof Blitzer posted:

We got no money to spend on the citizens, but here's a billion dollar handjob to Bezos for the mere potential of adding a few thousand jobs.

We don't need public schools

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

[...]

And it's probably giving up all the stacks of cash to get its claws into DC.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Woof Blitzer posted:

We got no money to spend on the citizens, but here's a billion dollar handjob to Bezos for the mere potential of adding a few thousand wage slave jobs.

Edited for accuracy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

pushpins posted:

what’s even better is Bezos jr will split his time between “managing the Bezos Foundation” and loving Instagram models on his space yacht while rotating ceos continue to make the lives of thousands of workers terrible to make money for shareholders of Amazon

Thanks to capitalism, he will at best be the leader of a desert biker gang.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Has anyone interviewed Besos and asked him 'you know your employees are wallowing in poverty, right? Why don't you give them some of the money they earnt for you?'

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Outrail posted:

Has anyone interviewed Besos and asked him 'you know your employees are wallowing in poverty, right? Why don't you give them some of the money they earnt for you?'

CEOs always cop out with some bullshit about all that money isn't actually theirs, it belongs to the shareholders, yada yada, you can't pay the employees in credit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Wasabi the J posted:

CEOs always cop out with some bullshit about all that money isn't actually theirs, it belongs to the shareholders, yada yada, you can't pay the employees in credit.

So despite looking good on paper all they really have to offer the masses is calories?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Modest Mao posted:

GDP is a rate, savings is a volume, wealth is also a volume

no one understands units

You’re like that guy that argues that BTU is a unit of energy, not power.

When used a unit of power or wealth, the period is understood to be on hour for BTU, one year for GDP.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Outrail posted:

So despite looking good on paper all they really have to offer the masses is calories?

Especially funny when their policies or business practices lead to more hunger.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The funny part is just giving away that money to citizens would be mroe cost-effective.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

The funny part is just giving away that money to citizens would be mroe cost-effective.

Yeah, but if you give everybody $100, my $100,000,000,000 is worth less

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

is pepsi ok posted:

[...]

Didn't Chicago offer to route the income tax of all amazon employees to Amazon?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

this would be de facto polygamy, you'd be married to the spouse and the store

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

this would be de facto polygamy, you'd be married to the spouse and the store

Most people are already married to like 5 or 6 different creditors already.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

The funny part is just giving away that money to citizens would be mroe cost-effective.

it would still be unfair though, since wealth would still be extracted from the workers, but now it is given to many people instead of a few.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4