Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Kevin Spacey's character died on the way back to his home planet.

This post made me laugh. I've never watched House of Cards, but saw the new season up and thought the same thing of "how the hell?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Kevin Spacey's character died on the way back to his home planet.

I'm watching it right now and it is... not good.

Yeah they totally Poochie’d Kevin Spacey. It would be hilarious if it weren’t so thoroughly unentertaining.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

There's no indication, either, other than context clues.

I noticed it when there was clearly supposed to be nudity, the scene abruptly cut away , and the run-time was less than 60 minutes.

They also have a ton of softcore that apparently does the same thing and edits out all nudity, which makes no sense.

If something begins with the Sprocket logo, exit out. That's the only reliable sign I can find so far.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

The last season with Kevin Spacey was terrible and they added nobody new to replace him so...

I binged the first and second seasons while building my first custom bicycle and the LEGO Shuttle Discovery set respectively. I've been chasing that comfortable dragon ever since :smith:. Nothing will top those two experiences.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

If I search the prime video app on my phone for Barry Lyndon it comes up twice for some reason. One listing is to rent or buy it, the other listing is to stream or download for free with Prime.

I stand very very happily corrected.

I’ve drank heavily, I’m on my couch, Barry Lyndon is up, I’m about to pull a Teriyaki Hairpiece

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Really like the Adam Sandler special on Netflix. It's cool to actually see him look like he's enjoying himself, rather than walking dead eyed through a lovely comedy movie.

Edit: ah gently caress, that Chris Farley tribute got me

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 3, 2018

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Really like the Adam Sandler special on Netflix. It's cool to actually see him look like he's enjoying himself, rather than walking dead eyed through a lovely comedy movie.

Edit: ah gently caress, that Chris Farley tribute got me

It came up a few pages ago, but yeah i was going to say exactly this. I grew up watching his stand up and singing/guitar bits and his early movies, and ended up hating whatever he made afterwards. This entire show is just going into what made him famous in the first place, and it was actually really good.

Near the end was a really touching Chris Farley Tribute, and it got me too.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

This happens to me all the time. I have lots of titles on my Watchlist that are "this video is currently unavailable", but poking around in other areas reveals them to be free with Prime.

Any other good ‘unlisted’ movies on prime?
or other streaming services?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

the_tasman_series posted:

Any other good ‘unlisted’ movies on prime?
or other streaming services?

A bunch. Pretty much every recommended movie or TV in this thread that is available on Prime, I've had to search multiple times. There have also been times that if I'm using one of the four Roku devices in the house, I have to use my phone or PC, search, add it to my watch list and then get back on the TV and find it from there. It especially sucks when it's one of those situations where it's a movie popular enough to have multiple releases and various cuts available on Amazon but only one streams for free.

Also, I can pretty much guarantee that if you want something like the exploitation movies or old/obscure horror, you will never find it just hanging out on your Roku, Fire, PS3/PS4, etc. menu without putting it on your watch list beforehand. Lots of good hidden gems.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

the_tasman_series posted:

I stand very very happily corrected.

I’ve drank heavily, I’m on my couch, Barry Lyndon is up, I’m about to pull a Teriyaki Hairpiece

Hope you had a good time!

I recommend to all: Barry Lyndon for being drunk and mired in your own sleaze, then the next day when you have a vile hangover and hate everything watch Paths of Glory, also on Prime.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tonight I've decided to drink myself into a dark oblivion while watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind, new on Netflix.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fun 70's movies now on Prime:

Logan's Run
Soylent Green
Westworld
The Man Who Would Be King
Deliverance

I enjoyed westworld and it's 70s protocg a ton, I'm really looking forward to Logans Run and Soylent Green, both of which I've never seen

I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) last night and was reminded why it's one of my favorite movies ever, does the 1978 Nimoy remake work well or is it best avoided?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Frog Act posted:

I enjoyed westworld and it's 70s protocg a ton, I'm really looking forward to Logans Run and Soylent Green, both of which I've never seen

I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) last night and was reminded why it's one of my favorite movies ever, does the 1978 Nimoy remake work well or is it best avoided?
Hell yes the 1978 version works well!

Nimoy is a creepy new age guru dude that’s totally different than Spock. Jeff Goldblum is at the peak of his skittish neuroticism and Veronica Cartwright puts in another epic freak out performance. Keep an eye out for Kevin McCarthy’s (star of the ‘56 version) cameo too!

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 4, 2018

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Frog Act posted:

The 78 version is one of the best horror movies ever made. It's amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It really is. The 1956 version is fantastic, but Donald Sutherland just kills it in the '78 remake. His final scene is iconic.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So Amazon Prime is now advertising their original shows before anything you watch on there. At least it's not straight up commercials yet, like Hulu which plays the exact same commercial every commercial break.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

:stare: That dog scene.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Hope you had a good time!

I recommend to all: Barry Lyndon for being drunk and mired in your own sleaze, then the next day when you have a vile hangover and hate everything watch Paths of Glory, also on Prime.

I did! gotta be my new #1 Kubrick. Or Strangelove, maybe.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

My favorite Kubrick is always the one I'm watching.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

bort posted:

My favorite Kubrick is always the one I'm watching.

Same, but Cronenberg

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Well, the Mrs wanted to watch The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and it just wasn't for me. I know I wasn't supposed to associate it so much with Sabrina: The Teenage Witch, but I couldn't help it. I kept wanting it to be a horror show that had a comedic self-awareness to it, but it just wasn't. (Full disclosure, I have no familiarity with the source comics.) The fact that it lent so heavily into the horror and violence made it's more comedic lines/scenes that much more bizarre. I did find it kinda entertaining in the third episode how they managed to work in Daniel Webster as a character. Otherwise, I thought the plot was so back and forth and what kept happening to Sabrina was just confusing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apparently the Church of Satan is threatening to sue Netflix over Sabrina’s use of the Baphomet statue they say is their copyright.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/satanists-want-to-sue-netflix-sabrina-design-statue-2018-10

The statues honestly looks similar but it’s also the pretty much standard look I’ve seen in just about any depiction of him.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

InterrupterJones posted:

Well, the Mrs wanted to watch The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and it just wasn't for me. I know I wasn't supposed to associate it so much with Sabrina: The Teenage Witch, but I couldn't help it. I kept wanting it to be a horror show that had a comedic self-awareness to it, but it just wasn't. (Full disclosure, I have no familiarity with the source comics.) The fact that it lent so heavily into the horror and violence made it's more comedic lines/scenes that much more bizarre. I did find it kinda entertaining in the third episode how they managed to work in Daniel Webster as a character. Otherwise, I thought the plot was so back and forth and what kept happening to Sabrina was just confusing.

Sounds right up my alley. Just need to finish Strike Back first.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently the Church of Satan is threatening to sue Netflix over Sabrina’s use of the Baphomet statue they say is their copyright.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/satanists-want-to-sue-netflix-sabrina-design-statue-2018-10

The statues honestly looks similar but it’s also the pretty much standard look I’ve seen in just about any depiction of him.

What a bunch of fuckin geeks.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Satan's default position on copyright infringement be that it's rad, clean, and powerful.

No, for real, I asked him.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I actually find the Church of Satan quite endearing. This is the Satanic Temple, which is a different thing entirely that mostly does First Amendment activism.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Uh, according to your link it's the Satanic Temple, which essentially appears to be an atheist group pretending to believe in Satan as a way to criticize religions / fight for free speech, and not the Church of Satan which is a sincere group that IIRC doesn't actually believe in Satan.

Edit: beaten

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Their logic is so stupid on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I thought the church of Satan doesn't believe in Satan either, but are just libertarians.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

I thought the church of Satan doesn't believe in Satan either, but are just libertarians.

Pretty much yeah. Just libertarians with a flair for the theatrical.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
To give an iota of fair shake to the Satanic Temple, the statue in the show kind of is obviously cribbing from their statue. I recognized it instantly watching the show, it specifically even has the same two children flanking him in the same positions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They definitely ripped it off. It's just that their reasons for giving a poo poo are insanely lame.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Origami Dali posted:

Pretty much, they grew out of weirdo 60's/70's San Francisco counterculture as an excuse to party with naked women. Founded by a dorky Jewish guy named Howard Levey who changed his name to Anton LaVey. It's basically a Portlandia sketch.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 6, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Satanic Temple does stuff like this which is hilarious.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I finished the new Amazon series Homecoming and thought it was pretty good. I would recommend it to people who like Cohen brothers style dark comedies.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just realized I forgot to watch The Terror (I read the book when it first came out and loved it). If I was to get AMC Premiere for $4.99 a month, can I watch the first season? I can't tell from the website, but I Comcast OnDemand doesn't have it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Pretty much, they grew out of weirdo 60's/70's San Francisco counterculture as an excuse to party with naked women. Founded by a dorky Jewish guy named Howard Levey who changed his name to Anton LaVey. It's basically a Portlandia sketch.

Did you know: The guy who did that "happy merchant" cartoon that alt-right shitheads love was a big wheel in the CoS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Did you know: The guy who did that "happy merchant" cartoon that alt-right shitheads love was a big wheel in the CoS

A. Wyatt Mann was a Church of Satan guy? That's perfect, libertarians and white nationalists have literally always been joined at the hip in this country.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A. Wyatt Mann was a Church of Satan guy? That's perfect, libertarians and white nationalists have literally always been joined at the hip in this country.

Dang son I ain't seen that much edge since i watched the 2008 film It Might Get Loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

I caught an episode or two and the way Sabrina happens to know everything and instantly overcome all obstacles while acting supremely smug was a little off putting.