Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1060273561322053633

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1060267305152798720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

rscott posted:

I can see that for one nationwide race but shouldn't the aggregate vote track pretty closely to the GCB? 4% is a pretty huge margin.
Margin of error overall is +/- 5 for GCB according to Nate. Additionally, the average miss has been about 2% compared to final margins.

In a year were turnout was exceptionally weird, it's not that unusual. Especially with, as you note, healthy chunks of the west coast out.

Deified Data posted:

We are absolutely in a position where the dem primary will essentially decide the winner of the general near instantly

Biden, Booker, any number of half-baked centrists who might crawl out of the woodwork between then and now, we can kiss our asses goodbye the second one of them wins. We need to be watching the party and holding them accountable. We can not afford another 2016 ratfucking. If it starts looking like the DNC is set to appoint its Chosen One again in 2020 you best buy a gun and/or get your immigration papers in order.
:yikes:

If we're going down the :tinfoil: path though, doesn't the DNC's ratfucking ability and competence pale in comparison to POTUS'?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

quote:

‘None of the above’ tops list of potential 2020 Dems, poll shows

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/415500-biden-leads-dem-voters-list-of-potential-2020-contenders-poll

Choices were:
Warren: 4%
Biden: 25%
Bernie: 18%
Booker: 3%
Kamala Harris: 4%
Hillary Clinton: 12%
None of the above: 30%

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Last time this happened in 2016 I literally went into a suicide ward so thanks a bunch rear end in a top hat.

I think he meant it was a moment of absurd hilarity when you, who is typically pretty optimistic and follows this stuff pretty closely, swung so hard from Blue wave to "its all ending isn't in" as most of us in the thread did when we saw that dumbass live model swing to 25% chance of victory

I thought it was hilarious, in the way you laugh after a near miss car wreck or being rescued from a stuck elevator

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zas posted:

This incidentally is part of why I was thinking that the 'new investigations' that were promised seem to be... wishful thinking at best. If we can't even bring this one home, how exactly can a weak dem house hope to instigate new investigations that will have any teeth?

They can convene committees, I guess? I don't really know tbh. I have low expectations.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Deified Data posted:

I'm at work, what exactly did Acosta do that they are spinning into assaulting an intern?

She tried to take the microphone from him and he turned away and wouldn't let her take it. She grabbed it and they struggled with it for about 5 seconds or so.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zas posted:

This incidentally is part of why I was thinking that the 'new investigations' that were promised seem to be... wishful thinking at best. If we can't even bring this one home, how exactly can a weak dem house hope to instigate new investigations that will have any teeth?

this post is panicking / launching into "well I guess we're hosed" really super early and you should reconsider it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1060335295973998592
https://twitter.com/ryanaboyd/status/1060210099174567938

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1060335677408243713

:thunk:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

if trump tries to fire mueller or otherwise stop the investigation, the house committee leadership can call for testimony and documents from mueller.

winning the house is a pretty big deal

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/415500-biden-leads-dem-voters-list-of-potential-2020-contenders-poll

Choices were:
Warren: 4%
Biden: 25%
Bernie: 18%
Booker: 3%
Kamala Harris: 4%
Hillary Clinton: 12%
None of the above: 30%

Not liking Biden at the top of this list.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I imagine the GOP has had a #metoo in their pocket with his name on it for years, waiting for the inevitable moment he ran.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1060336119315873792?s=19

He used the L-word!

Edit: Now she's doing it too!

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/1060337220140306436?s=19

JasonV fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 8, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Koalas Massacre posted:

5 is giving me Olivia Pope vibes and I LOVE IT.

That is Ayanna Pressley, and she's the newest Congressperson from the great state of Massachusetts. She's also a DSA member and she unseated a Democrat who'd been in that seat for over 20 years :D

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Lightning Knight posted:

I queued a week for this by the way, don't do garbage like this.

Should have made it two years lol.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Deified Data posted:

Maybe I'm paranoid but I imagine the GOP has had a #metoo in their pocket with his name on it for years, waiting for the inevitable moment he ran.

He's also old and centrist as poo poo, but he has super high name recognition

I think the more interesting thing is that people don't really like any of those options. There will be space for someone else at the top of the ticket.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JasonV posted:

He used the L-word!

lol that the only thing that can even begin to arouse a proper response from the media is Trump manhandling a white guy in public.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Glumslinger posted:

I think the more interesting thing is that people don't really like any of those options. There will be space for someone else at the top of the ticket.

Yeah, that's just name recognition nothing polling. Its not important. A bunch of people are gonna announce soon and then it stops getting hypothetical.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this post is panicking / launching into "well I guess we're hosed" really super early and you should reconsider it

I'm not panicking, just discussing. If you'd like to discuss with me, can you explain how the house can instigate investigations that might lead to legal action against, like, powerful people? It's honestly not my area of expertise at all

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mooseontheloose posted:

CNN should refuse to do live coverage of his events and essentially not cover his crazy poo poo.

Nothing against you personally, but this whole "the press should stop covering them" narrative is bullshit and needs to stop. It's exactly what they want. It's like giving in and giving a toddler candy if he screams and cries enough. It just reinforces lovely behavior.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i still love that daou got spurned by mother so now he is trying to be a lefty. i mean cool that he is atleast saying the points even if he is just suit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Kemp's counting on his own bush v. gore

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Glumslinger posted:

this is just the opportunity that john delaney has been waiting for!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Strange Poon posted:

I'm kind of all over the place on it -- that is to say I don't disagree with you, and I may be comparing Apples to Oranges, but after living through 9/11 I'm not personally thrilled on counting the country to come together after or in the face of disaster.

There's a huge difference between a catastrophic terrorist attack, and the cold uncaring wrath of nature.
We could't come together after 9-11 because the idiots in the country wanted to mindlessly go bugfuck with missiles and troops and racism.
Hurricanes and stuff like that are brutally simple by comparison.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Where the video?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lightning Knight posted:

lol that the only thing that can even begin to arouse a proper response from the media is Trump manhandling a white guy in public.

its depressing but ill take it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

QuoProQuid posted:

[Insert Jeb! map here]

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist

Hasn't Susan Hennessey repeatedly called out Trump officials for lying?

You're not confusing her with Haberman, are you?

edit: e.g.
https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/1048746624904822785

https://twitter.com/susan_hennessey/status/892171832199086084

SoSimpleABeginning fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Oh no we've walked right into his trap

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1060331173103190017

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Margin of error overall is +/- 5 for GCB according to Nate. Additionally, the average miss has been about 2% compared to final margins.

In a year were turnout was exceptionally weird, it's not that unusual. Especially with, as you note, healthy chunks of the west coast out.

:yikes:

If we're going down the :tinfoil: path though, doesn't the DNC's ratfucking ability and competence pale in comparison to POTUS'?

I did some more looking into this and Nate Cohn is estimating 114m ballots cast for house elections and they have a current count of ~99m, so there's a lot more votes to be counted. I guess the margin could widen significantly from where it is now

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Though I guess it's worth mentioning that it's only 680 "registered voters" and not necessarily liberals or leftists.

I'm leery of one-time (maybe still?) most popular politician in the country Sanders coming behind Biden, but I admit, if Biden has one redeemable quality it's his desire to roll in the poo poo with Republicans and treat them like children to their faces. If he were to move leftward (and for the love of god be properly, fully vetted) I would not be opposed to Biden, but he's far from my first choice.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lightning Knight posted:

They can convene committees, I guess? I don't really know tbh. I have low expectations.

Zas posted:

I'm not panicking, just discussing. If you'd like to discuss with me, can you explain how the house can instigate investigations that might lead to legal action against, like, powerful people? It's honestly not my area of expertise at all
The nature of Mueller's role, and his reporting through Justice makes this entirely different than what the Dems do with their committees and subpoena power.

It's not an exaggeration to say that they can unilaterally control one, and have functionally zero control over the other.

Deified Data posted:

I would think that Cory, Kamala, Gillibrand, Bernie, Warren, and the rest of the Dems do too. No particular reason any of them would wait for another shot instead of, you know, bringing up the obvious.

QuoProQuid posted:

Woooould we say "waiting"?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deified Data posted:

name_recognition.txt

please dial down the panic

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Losing the single party monopoly on power to own the libs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to let the enemy know that you're exploiting their divisions when you try to exploit their divisions.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

He's absolutely going to steamroll Pelosi, if her day-after comments are any indication. She simply doesn't understand what is happening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zas posted:

As is my understanding...

The House has the power to open and hold investigations of this kind and file subpoenas for people to testify. Hence Benghazi or Hillary's Email hearings. They also have the power to request and release findings and information, hence all the stuff Devin Nunes pulled with all those memos and documents that amounted to nothing. Mueller was appointed as a special council that had the same basic powers BECAUSE the House GOP, Ryan, and Nunes refused to do their job.

They don't have the power to file criminal charges but neither does Mueller.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/AltUSPressSec/status/1060339379200253952

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zas posted:

my most immediate objection is to "if we can't even bring this one home" on an unsubstantiated hypothesis of Mueller's investigation successfully being strangled in the crib

but here's another thing: state-level departments of justice can act on evidence discovered by federal subpoenas, which will be spewing forth from Democratic House committees like wasps from a breach in Ted Cruz's hull

if we read into the congressional record, say, the Trump Organization committing massive tax fraud with Russian money, that's something the NYAG can use to burn it to the ground

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kobayashi posted:

He's absolutely going to steamroll Pelosi, if her day-after comments are any indication. She simply doesn't understand what is happening.

I think it's unlikely she doesn't know what is happening, more that she underestimates the threat. She's not dumb, she's just privileged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

name_recognition.txt

please dial down the panic

My mother, for instance, can't give a reason whenever she brings up Biden for 2020. Yeah, it's just name recognition. He's the Democratic Jeb!