Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

Aw gently caress me the Senate reconciliation bill poo poo is gonna suck this time.

Reconciliation is not going to be a big deal since the GOP lost the house. It'll be used for its more boring, traditional purpose: To break filibusters on the budget so the crazies dont shut down the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Your Taint posted:

That fucker would come down like the Berlin wall anyway. Election night 2020 people would rush to it with sledgehammers to take that fucker down.

No, the Wall would be completed because theyve already budgeted the money for it. Then it would be turned over to a private corporation and staffed using prison labor

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Not a Step posted:

No, the Wall would be completed because theyve already budgeted the money for it. Then it would be turned over to a private corporation and staffed using prison labor

using prison labor for border control feels too stupid on every conceivable level even for modern American capitalism, so obviously i can't reject it out of hand

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

She's not in my district, but I hope she goes down with Mimi Walters. The faux outrage from conservatives on reddit claiming that the media was ignoring her win as first Korean-American congresswoman because she's *gasp* a Republican was annoying. No bitch, they weren't reporting her win because she hasn't won yet, and besides, news outlets were reporting on her potential first.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FilthyImp posted:

Aw gently caress me the Senate reconciliation bill poo poo is gonna suck this time.

That's assuming they don't use it before the new people are seated

I was honestly expecting them to, and I'm very surprised we haven't heard anything about it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

I was honestly expecting them to, and I'm very surprised we haven't heard anything about it

Didn't they do some fuckery and already use up all the ones they had access to already? I thought that was part of why they didn't take another shot at repealing Obamacare, they needed that for the tax bill

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

This was never a serious threat to consider. The timeline needed to pass a reconciliation just takes way too long.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

https://twitter.com/csiemaszko/status/1062130312245927937

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lemming posted:

Didn't they do some fuckery and already use up all the ones they had access to already? I thought that was part of why they didn't take another shot at repealing Obamacare, they needed that for the tax bill

They used the second one really, really quick after the first one failed - they used one, let one expire.

It really can't be expressed what a colossal self own the first reconciliation bill was. They could have easily done the tax cuts first and spent this whole year doing something else

Rigel posted:

This was never a serious threat to consider. The timeline needed to pass a reconciliation just takes way too long.

I thought you could do it in a month or so. It's been available since October 1st.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

They don't get to. I was worried about that myself and looked it up. They bailed on passing a budget this year, which is the key. If you want to write a reconciliation bill, you have to provide instructions in the budget about what the bill should be about. No budget, no reconciliation instructions, no reconciliation bill.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

thefncrow posted:

They don't get to. I was worried about that myself and looked it up. They bailed on passing a budget this year, which is the key. If you want to write a reconciliation bill, you have to provide instructions in the budget about what the bill should be about. No budget, no reconciliation instructions, no reconciliation bill.

Their incompetence is staggering

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

thefncrow posted:

Yeah, thats why it would take too long. Its a two-step process with each step taking many weeks at a minimum. They didn't ever start, so they blew reconciliation.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I...I think I love him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

Is it just me or does the name Young Kim invoke imagery of a lovely knock off of Lil' kim.

No, it's just you

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This has probably been posted, but holy poo poo the Governor of Mississippi is trotting out abortion as "black genocide" in defense of Cyndi Hyde-Smith's "public hanging" comments.

loving what?

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2018/nov/12/governor-calls-abortion-black-genocide-defends-hyd/

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

BonoMan posted:

This has probably been posted, but holy poo poo the Governor of Mississippi is trotting out abortion as "black genocide" in defense of Cyndi Hyde-Smith's "public hanging" comments.

loving what?

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2018/nov/12/governor-calls-abortion-black-genocide-defends-hyd/

God drat I wish there was a snowball's chance in hell of these gently caress's open klan poo poo the last couple days awakening a heretofore unforseen rage among MS Democrats and delivering the upset of the century in the runoff. What a loving day that would be.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BonoMan posted:

loving what?

It's a pretty old argument

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

Scott Walker sucks and what he did to the UW system is criminal.

UW-WHITEWATER WHAT UP?!?!

Don't feel bad. I'm a journalism major who has 17 years of retail experience.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

theflyingorc posted:

It's a pretty old argument

Yeah the article even points that out. I wasn't saying it was new just that... goddamn that's a helluva way to double down.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I am happy for California getting a democratic super majority. That is good.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kafka Esq. posted:

I am happy for California getting a democratic super majority. That is good.

Same. Now maybe we can get things like free college.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It took 40+ years but now you can finally have the things you had before Reagan hosed your state.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BonoMan posted:

loving what?

Then wouldn't these guys be in favor for legalized abortion as long as it was black and brown people? Racist "logic" makes no sense.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Young Freud posted:

Then wouldn't these guys be in favor for legalized abortion as long as it was black and brown people? Racist "logic" makes no sense.

They don't actually care, they just want to prove that Liberals are the real racists and find new and more stupid ways to attack abortion.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

It took 40+ years but now you can finally have the things you had before Reagan hosed your state.

is there a cliff notes of this? Sounds like an good piece of evidence to add to my knowledge pool so I can more properly hate Reagan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

They don't actually care, they just want to prove that Liberals are the real racists and find new and more stupid ways to attack abortion.

New? The Catholic School I went to was saying this stuff back in like 2000.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

is there a cliff notes of this? Sounds like an good piece of evidence to add to my knowledge pool so I can more properly hate Reagan.

California's public university system used to be tuition free. Reagan hated student protesters and slashed the state's education funding severely. Prop 13 did the rest.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
One of these hashtags threw me for a loop

https://twitter.com/PODOTUS/status/1062145404358279168

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So what are the results?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillHour posted:

So what are the results?

Currently 91%/9%, as of 2:00 AM Eastern time.

Also people who use that many hashtags in a single tweet should just be autobanned from Twitter. As should anyone who leads a tweet with "BREAKING:"

edit: sorry, 91% no, 9% yes.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 13, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I assume the 91% is... no?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RasperFat posted:

It’s actually super frustrating how shaming is looked down upon in academia, where they should know better.

Even in my gender studies class, the super feminist professor was against public shaming as a deterrent against bigoted behaviors.

It was one of the weirdest things to have an incredibly liberal teacher and class all agree that it’s inappropriate to be mean to straight up white supremacists, and we should be reaching out with kindness only.

Although this was a year before the 2016 election. The ensuing 2 years of open fascism may have changed her stance on coddling Nazis.

The idea of using shame/public justice to police bad behavior and actively courting public vitriol against accused bad actors carries a ton of baggage in progressive/feminist/LGBTQI academic and activist circles because women, queer people, ethnic/racial/social minorities, and political “radicals” have experienced centuries of living under the thumb of oppression-by-mob. It comes down to a lot of the core issues of body-autonomy, right to privacy, and right to equal treatment before the law that are important to demographics who have historically faced victimization on those fronts.

Public outing, social stigma, and mob “justice” have been a major avenue by which women and queer people have had their sex lives and identities and personal work/political/family/medical decisions policed and judged, often in the absence of real legal footing.

And in the Jim Crow south, courts routinely covered for the actions of “vigilantes” and, in many cases, wink-and-nodded people into the hands of lynch mobs and klansmen who weren’t going to be held accountable to anybody.

It also often goes hand in hand with arguments about things like hate crimes and why that label should exist in a legal sense and what things should/shouldn’t be punishable by law with regard to queer/feminist/etc issues.

Also it’s this:
quote="Ghost Leviathan" post="489791731"]
Public shaming is a tactic with some uses in the right situation, but it's also an extremely common form of self-aggrandising bullying of any perceived weakness. It can backfire completely unless you have genuine moral high ground and authority.
[/quote]

One of the tenets of our judicial system is the idea of rule of law and reciprocity of crime vs punishment. You get convicted of something concrete and you serve your sentence and see to any legal consequences and that’s supposed to be it. Do the crime, do the corresponding time.

It obviously doesn’t actually work that way in the real world but the point is that there shouldn’t be other, unforeseen or uncontrolled/uncontrollable consequences to account for from sources outside of the judicial system and actively courting that kind of a response from your community is a real recipe for trouble if you can’t guarantee order or peoples’ safety.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Please don't link the works of maga chud and climate change denier scott adams unless ironically, thanks.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

QuoProQuid posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1062189037673422850

this is going to be a short fight, if any at all.

trump has been angry at nielsen since he appointed her because, despite her overseeing a nightmarish crackdown on the border and immigrant families, trump is incapable of being satisfied and has zero interest in learning the most basic facts of the us immigration system

anyone willing to accept the position of dhs secretary under trump would have to be amoral and insane so, of course, kris kobach is on the short list.

Every week it's like watching Lincoln trying to find a general for the Army of the Potomac

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I don't know about y'all but I'm a little less :getin: and a little more :stare: at t_d and various other chuds psyching themselves up for RAHOWA after this election. You're basically getting a sneak peak at various minds talking themselves in to shooting up another synagogue, etc. It's not cool.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Squibbles posted:

Obviously he didn't want to cause a traffic disruption in DC either

https://twitter.com/ClaireBerlinski/status/1061906966216347649

It'd be nice if they could focus on one lie and stick with it. After it was announced he cancelled it was because of the "hastily arranged motorcade" because apparently going to France to attend a ceremony means you won't have to go anywhere or something.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Every week it's like watching Lincoln trying to find a general for the Army of the Potomac

Except worse, because at least Lincoln himself was competent.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

over the last two years mcconnell has not exactly gotten a shitload done because the filibuster exists and he is unable/unwilling to abolish it

if it were 50-votes-required-for-all-legislation he would have gotten a lot more horrible things done

including probably a successful gutting of the ACA, which instead died at the eleventh hour because he only gets one reconciliation bill a year

It's useful to both parties.

If Reid had eliminated the filibuster for the ACA, he wouldn't have been able to use the excuse that Dorgan's drug-pricing amendments weren't filibuster-proof (some of them had 59 votes) and thus stricken from the final bill--even though more Republican senators voted for the amendments than Democrats and he was the head of the Dem caucus in the Senate.

Additionally, he wouldn't have been able to use Lieberman as the rotating villain for denying Medicare at ages 55+ in the final bill, because there were about 56 votes for that, iirc.

The public option, which Lieberman is mistakenly blamed for killing, was actually killed in sommittee, and never made it into the final Senate bill:

quote:

The Senate Finance Committee rejected Sen. Jay Rockefeller’s (D-W.Va.) amendment to tack a public option onto the committee’s healthcare bill.

After nearly four hours of debate, the amendment fell on an 8-15 vote, with Republicans united against it and Democrats vociferously defending the notion of providing people with a not-for-profit insurance company backed by the government.

But Democrats on the committee did not mirror the GOP’s unity. As expected, Baucus and Democratic Sens. Tom Carper (Del.), Kent Conrad (N.D.), Blanche Lincoln (Ark.) and Bill Nelson (Fla.) joined all 10 of the panel’s Republicans to vote down Rockefeller’s amendment. Notably, Baucus and Conrad, along with Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), spent months trying to strike a deal with three committee Republicans.

(Of course, we now know that Reid was simply carrying out the wishes of the administration, which had made secret deals to kill the public option prior to all the charades.)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

In response to the senators in that article saying they voted no because they didn't think the bill could get to 60, I decided to think about all the possibilities to retroactively justify the reasoning behind an amendment vote and a contradicting floor vote.

Amendment No vote. Floor Yes vote.

• If it turns out the amendment was a good thing, the legislator didn't think the bill could pass with the amendment, but the legislator was for it.
  • If it turns out the amendment was a bad thing, the legislator was against it and was hoping for a better bill, but the legislator voted for the best bill available.

Amendment Yes vote. Floor No vote.

• If it turns out the amendment was a bad thing, the legislator claims to have intended it to be a poison pill which would prevent the bill from passing. Maybe the legislator thought it merited the full consideration of the floor with an up-or-down vote; this excuse works best for judiciary appointee votes.
  • If it turns out the amendment was a good thing, the legislator was for it and against the bill as a whole due to other amendments.

Amendment Yes vote. Floor Yes vote.

If it turns out the amendment was a bad thing, the legislator claims he or she voted yes because he or she didn't think the bill could pass without it.

Sometimes the reality is that the difference is caused by floor votes being more visible and accessible to the public, as in only the floor votes show up in lists of how a member voted on compilation websites like Project VoteSmart.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Flip Yr Wig posted:

When you've got the right mindset, you'll always have gorilla jizz on hand.
:vince:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Not gonna lie, my first thought was "surely pitbulls or something would be easier to acquire?"

Imagine if you will Ben Shapiro smothering under a mountain of cheap knock-off trump bears packed to the ceiling like tribbles...

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 13, 2018