Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tacier posted:

The Southern California fires are in chaparral covered areas that have routinely burned for hundreds of years and will continue to do so regardless of what we do there. The Camp fire's blistering charge from the Feather River, where it started, to the town of Paradise went through an area which had already completely burned in 2008 from the Butte Lightning Complex. So naturally everything Trump said is dead wrong.

We're never going to be able to eliminate the fuel load once these fires get going, and while there's probably some merit to clearing underbrush and creating defensible space around power lines (and municipalizing PG&E asap), we mainly need to reexamine how we think about building in the wildland-urban interface. It's a fine line here between victim blaming and acknowledging that maybe these areas weren't great places to build in the first place. And if we decide it's actually a bad idea to build in these places, how do we actually disincentive it via policy? These are hard questions that CA is going to have to grapple with in the coming years.

or we could unfuck our climate and have it rain again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Contributing factors to structure loss in CA wildfires:

- Building along the urban wildland interface of a chaparral biome (these biomes have a robust fire ecology)
- PG&E and SCE failing to maintain utility infrastructure because executives would rather pocket cash instead
- Atmospheric changes driven by anthropogenic warming that result in delayed onset of winter precipitation and increased late autumn Santa Ana wind events (see: Ridiculously Resilient Ridge, Warm Blob)
- Planting and proliferation of non-native highly combustible fuel like eucalyptus and acacia
- Insurers and a firefighting infrastructure that are willing to bail homeowners out instead of force them to shoulder the costs of their own high risk decisions

And more that I'm forgetting about, but these are the major factors. Controlled burns may help a bit but seriously, it's chaparral. The shade intolerant shrubs that will first recolonize a burn scar are more than happy to catch on fire again.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
My familes house in Chatsworth basically is keeps having fires pop up by it. Its become darkly hilarious and Im wondering who I pissed off.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

god the smoke where I'm at is bad. I'm gonna hunker down inside today.
Seriously. If I wanted to breathe this much smoke, I'd go to Vegas. At least I'd have a pretty cocktail waitress bringing me a glass of free watery booze every so often.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

or we could unfuck our climate and have it rain again
the solution to both is the same

stop sprawling development in favor of infill and densification along transit corridors, while increasing transit capacity and reach

oh hey that also addresses the massive housing shortage issues, funny that

edit: thread on how climate change is making our fire season worse

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1061324959287410688

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 12, 2018

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

stop sprawling development in favor of infill and densification along transit corridors, while increasing transit capacity and reach

Firefighting robots

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

bawfuls posted:

There’s scores of olds who want to retire to “the country”. Should we just force them to stay in their manhattanized neighborhoods while they continue to gum up densification efforts as much as possible?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ProperGanderPusher posted:

There’s scores of olds who want to retire to “the country”. Should we just force them to stay in their manhattanized neighborhoods while they continue to gum up densification efforts as much as possible?
This sounds like a false dichotomy. Olds retiring to "the country" aren't the reason for exurb housing developments pushing further and further away from city centers.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ProperGanderPusher posted:

We should raise their property taxes so they actually leave and make room for people who want to live in a city.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Tacier posted:

It's a fine line here between victim blaming and acknowledging that maybe these areas weren't great places to build in the first place. And if we decide it's actually a bad idea to build in these places, how do we actually disincentive it via policy?

I assume that insurance companies will do their bit by charging higher premiums to people in towns that have a history of burning to the ground? Or does it not work that way - is there some perverse incentive where it's beneficial to have your house keep burning down? Is there a National Fire Insurance Program? :suicide:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:toot: :toot:

https://twitter.com/BryanRAnderson/status/1062159145502044161

:woop: :woop:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/theshoetoo/status/1062138347991261184

there's still like 400k outstanding ballots to count in orange county and over 900k in LA county so this is just young kim howling as she goes down for good

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

lol "if the numbers aren't what I predict that means it was rigged!!!"

Really doubling down on the Trump playbook, there.

Hopefully they actually do something with it.

Be interesting to see what legislation Newsom pushes with the large majorities in the state chambers. He needs to start setting up for his presidential run, after all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Hopefully they actually do something with it.

I hope so too but they’ll probably disappoint us.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Gavin Newsom is frantically yelling at his staff to remove any mention of California single payer off of his website right now.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yay good news in the hell world.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

fermun posted:

Gavin Newsom is frantically yelling at his staff to remove any mention of California single payer off of his website right now.

Rendon will just go "ah, but how will you PAY for it? :smug: owned, libs" again.

Or now that Lara isn't around trying to boost his cred for his insurance comissioner run they may not even bother to vote it out of the senate

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 13, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fermun posted:

I'd laugh but this is probably accurate.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Newsombot set to “governing mode”

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

California voters: *hand Democrats a blank check in the legislature*
Democrats in 2019: perhaps you would like some more propositions on the ballot?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

California voters: *hand Democrats a blank check in the legislature*
Democrats in 2019: perhaps you would like some more propositions on the ballot?

By voting for Democrats in record numbers, the voters have made clear that what they want is bipartisan compromise.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So beyond single payer, what are some things the Dems could do with a super majority that we'd really want them to do, but they won't? I know anything that touches taxes requires a super majority, but I don't know how handcuffed the legislature is by Prop 13 in regards to the taxes we really need to raise at the moment.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
passing a state constitution that doesn’t suck rear end would be nice

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oh hell yeah baby, let's rewrite the Constitution from the ground up.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sydin posted:

I have a couple gigantic trees in my backyard (which as an aside I really want to get rid of for a variety of reasons, but my landlord gave a firm no so :shrug:) that grow right on top of the power lines. Once or twice a year PG&E drops a leaflet on my door asking me to unlock my gate so they can trim around the lines, and every time instead of actually trimming the tree back, they just cut all the greenery within a foot of the line. Sure enough, within a couple weeks everything they've cut has grown back.

PG&E just came out to do their trimming a month ago, and look at this poo poo:

Family has a small cabin up near Bass Lake... my... great grandfather built it by hand, probably with the help of a contractor; it had a very rustic look to it. Anyhow, PG&E used to come up and trim the trees back from the lines by the road all the time. They'd offer to cut down the trees fairly often iirc, and we'd decline, because gently caress you stop trying to cut down these really old trees. After the fire happened and burnt down the cabin (2.... years ago?), the trees near the road were okay, just the cabin and the stuff further back were burnt down. When the fire fighters were blocking everyone from going up, PG&E apparently went and cut down all the trees near the lines (They didn't have the mess of branches like you have though in the wires) along the road so they wouldn't have to trim them I guess, and not just our house, but our neighbors too. Last I heard a bunch of people in that area were trying to sue PG&E over that. The trees were probably like 50 years old and up.

So yeah, I guess it varies on who from PG&E is supervising the cutting of trees in your area or something.

Also nothing new but insurance companies are terrible to deal with and didn't want to pay out full coverage on the house unless we started constructing a new cabin almost immediately.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Raskolnikov38 posted:

passing a state constitution that doesn’t suck rear end would be nice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Oh hell yeah baby, let's rewrite the Constitution from the ground up.

Sounds good to me :bandwagon:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sydin posted:

So beyond single payer, what are some things the Dems could do with a super majority that we'd really want them to do, but they won't? I know anything that touches taxes requires a super majority, but I don't know how handcuffed the legislature is by Prop 13 in regards to the taxes we really need to raise at the moment.

Seize control of PG&E and/or have the AG bring down the hammer on the executives (Lock Them Up!)

Nullify the absurd grandfathered water rights for our overlord water barons (lock them up too)

actually fund the loving education system

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hilariously in my area pg&e has been trying to do trimming but the local yuppies complained about them ruining the view and got it shut down

:california:

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

I assume that insurance companies will do their bit by charging higher premiums to people in towns that have a history of burning to the ground? Or does it not work that way - is there some perverse incentive where it's beneficial to have your house keep burning down? Is there a National Fire Insurance Program? :suicide:

The State of California does offer fire insurance for high risk homes that aren't able to find insurance elsewhere through something called the FAIR plan. I don't know a lot about the program, but it doesn't seem like CA should be in the business of offering insurance to areas deemed too risky by private insurers just to make sure people aren't left with no insurance options. At very least, CA should stop offering it for any new homes built and make sure new home buyers in these areas understand that private insurers may back out of their fire coverage at any point.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Sydin posted:

Fix water rights

End private utility companies (by now people really should be marching on PG&E HQ and the PUC, both of which are conveniently located in downtown SF.)

Pass some anti-NIMBY poo poo

Get money back into our K-12 schools and maybe a coup on the UC board or otherwise fix the university system.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tuxedo Gin posted:

(by now people really should be marching on PG&E HQ and the PUC, both of which are conveniently located in downtown SF.)

fermun get on it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Unfucking 13 would in turn unfuck our education system from root to branch. It'll fund public k-12, toss money into the UC/CSU system (that should then ideally be guaranteed not to go towards giant sports complexes or middle management salaries), return the city college system to its original design of being loving FREE TO ANYONE, and possibly enable universal preschool.

We should probably also get a state bank that won't discriminate against pot sellers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'd like better education and housing. Hell why not free college while we're at it.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

But grandma’s house.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

does the face mask help at all when painting? i do airbrushing for scale models and just have the respirator part

It helps immensely because I use vinyl paints which uses xylene for a thinner, which is super toxic. I wouldn't use anything less than this, although it's hella expensive. I know another guy who has a full face unit that actually has a forced air system that attaches to a belt unit that umbilicals to another device that sounds amazing, but when I looked it up it runs over $3000 so I'll stick with the thing I use now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Reminder that it's important for it to be 28 for the supermajority. 27 isn't good enough because one of those senators is Steve "Shitfucker" Glazer who didn't even vote for the gas tax.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Repeal prop 13 for rental properties AND enact strict statewide rent control.

And when people ask “what about the landlords?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiH1Bk6WmvI

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
So uh, who is the state education superintendent? The SoS website shows Thurmond ahead with 100% reporting by about three thousand, but doesn't appear to have made any kind of official declaration.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Repeal prop 13 for rental properties AND enact strict statewide rent control.

And when people ask “what about the landlords?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiH1Bk6WmvI

Unrelated, but the look Leonard Nimoy pulled off in that scene is great. It perfectly conveys the emotion you experience when someone you love and respect says something blatantly horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

themrguy posted:

So uh, who is the state education superintendent? The SoS website shows Thurmond ahead with 100% reporting by about three thousand, but doesn't appear to have made any kind of official declaration.

They're still counting ballots, and mail in ballots that were postmarked by Tuesday could have arrived as late as Friday. I assume the election offices weren't working through the long weekend since California doesn't have the strict timetables states like Florida do. In fact, they technically don't have to submit final results until December 7th, but hopefully we'll have an idea this week of who's actually winning.

Edit: You can see unprocessed ballot totals here. So for example, at close of business Friday, Sacramento County still had over 150,000 ballots to process. Orange County had over 400,000 Thursday evening. They probably got through some of those on Friday, but may have had more come in that day as well.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 13, 2018