Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

To be fair, as a species we can't even currently agree on the pronunciation of "potato."

Maybe he spells it Federation but just slurs it real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

MillennialVulcan posted:

The whole V'draysha thing is silly, we're just regular rear end earthlings here and we're not loving up the pronunciation of Holy Roman Empire.

Arguable! The people at the time of the empire would probably be pretty confused if you referred to it as anything except heiliges römisches reich or whatever they called it in latin :V

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

ashpanash posted:

Agreed, but for every "All Good Things" or "The Inner Light" there's a "Sub Rosa" to go along with it.

Just like every cowboy sings a sad sad song.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Arguable! The people at the time of the empire would probably be pretty confused if you referred to it as anything except heiliges römisches reich or whatever they called it in latin :V

... well dang.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Tuco!!!! :allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I was watching that episode and wondering, "Where the hell do I know him from?"

Good catch to play Starfleet Soldier.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

MillennialVulcan posted:

The whole V'draysha thing is silly, we're just regular rear end earthlings here and we're not loving up the pronunciation of Holy Roman Empire.

Calypso is very good.

Hahaha

Literally in your example: "roman empire" is a corruption of Imperium Romanum.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sacrum Romanum Imperium

I'm sure a Middle Ages German guy would have to take a minute to figure out what the "Hell-i-gees Row-miz-cheese Ruh-eye-ch" is.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phylodox posted:

It has been since the very beginning, back when every other starship captain the Enterprise encountered was either insane, morally compromised, or both. People like Admirals Cartwright and Nechayev seem to be the rule rather than the exception.

What exactly did Nechayev do that was insane and/or morally compromised? She was kind of a thorn in Picard's side but that's a long way from being evil. I suppose she was in favor of destroying the Borg by showing them the magic M.C. Escher drawing, but when you're at war, it's pretty understandable to want to shoot back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She allied with the Dominion and was going to wipe out the Romulans

Ok well that was a simulation, sure, but she did do a couple dumb things in DS9.

On Facebook fandom the idea of a Star Trek Golden Girls with Pulaski, Moogie, Nechayev, and Lwaxana has been gaining traction.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

What exactly did Nechayev do that was insane and/or morally compromised? She was kind of a thorn in Picard's side but that's a long way from being evil. I suppose she was in favor of destroying the Borg by showing them the magic M.C. Escher drawing, but when you're at war, it's pretty understandable to want to shoot back.

She was the one who made Picard kick the Native American colonists off their colony, and, more generally, ducked over the Cardassian colonies along the Cardassian border by telling them, "You guys are Caedassian citizens now. What they do to you isnt our problem anymore. Bye"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Also there are a ton of historical models for a non-"dark ages" breakup of a multicultural union, the HRE being one.

I personally think it would be really neat to see a Federation that broke up like the Commonwealth states - still technically part of the UFP but functionally wholly independent. A Starfleet captain navigating a complex political landscape like that would be a fantastic weekly drama generator.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Nechayev also the one who told Sisko "tough poo poo" when the bajoran insurrectionists were coming to take the station by force and he had evidence they were being supplied by Cardassians?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Zurui posted:

Hahaha

Literally in your example: "roman empire" is a corruption of Imperium Romanum.

WELL DANG.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Whalley posted:

Kartoffel sounds nothing like batata and don't even get me started on albtatis

I mean in Standard Terran, wiseguy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is Nechayev also the one who told Sisko "tough poo poo" when the bajoran insurrectionists were coming to take the station by force and he had evidence they were being supplied by Cardassians?

That was Admiral Chekote.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
gently caress the maquis we don't bend over for dumbass dirt farmers, there are actual stakes

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sweet Jesus, Trek has been "deconstructing" the utopian Federation for like 20 years now. I don't want the series to just endlessly be about the dark side of paradise.
Agreed. Deep Space Nine was really all I ever needed or wanted in exploring this topic, and even it ends optimistically and falls on the side of "maybe don't do heinous poo poo just to win."

DS9 is my favorite Star Trek, but without Next Gen to set the table, it wouldn't have been interesting when DS9 upended it.

We did that, and it was great. Now can we have cool space adventures that are cool and fun and solve moral dilemmas with our optimism?

Also, stop making loving prequels.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

LividLiquid posted:

No.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, maybe you want Star Trek to always be asking where Spock is any time he's not on screen, but I'm ready to move forward in time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Spak a hologram I confide in

Hello Spak I say (he flickering on)

Long life and prosperity he says doing the hand thing

I pour a sorian brandy Spak do you want one no says Spak I am a hologeam and cannot drink alcohol not that I would anyways due to the fact of being Vulcan

Right I say and I swing both shots neways there's Romans in the neutral zone Spak I say sholders slumping

That is most illogocal Spak said chagrinly

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Romulanes eunt domus

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LividLiquid posted:

DS9 is my favorite Star Trek, but without Next Gen to set the table, it wouldn't have been interesting when DS9 upended it.

We did that, and it was great. Now can we have cool space adventures that are cool and fun and solve moral dilemmas with our optimism?

The approach that I would take here with your television planning is that the market for dismal poo poo that ends in people sobblingly rape-murdering one another and eating the remains to protect their children in a world devastated by zombies or the North Koreans or whatever is pretty saturated. You're not serving what the people want to see.

Now I can't say that there's a huge market, necessarily, for something with the kind of aspirational, optimistic beats that TNG hit and which DS9 riffed off of. But I think there is A market, enough of one to mean you'll break even with a competent work. Even make some money. And if you're lucky, you're hitting a new vein of paydirt. Call it escapism, call it childish pap, call it whatever you want: Will it sell? Will it sell, Brody?

It will sell.

Though in terms of the media landscape one problem you might have is that you're actually, in a sense, still competing with Next Generation.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Romulanes eunt domus

Bones: "It says 'Vulcans go home!'"

Spock: "No, doctor. It does not."

Kirk: *laughs*

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

LividLiquid posted:

Look at it this way. Discovery may ultimately be a wash, maybe it will overcome its first season jitters, who knows.

There's more Star Trek in development though, because of Discovery's commercial success (presumably). The Picard show has Michael Chabon as its head writer. He wrote the new short that everyone is yapping about, but most people who've actually seen it think it's very good Star Trek.

For about three years or so, we had both DS9 AND Voyager. I think most agree that DS9 was the more essential Trek show, but each had highs and lows and even back then there was room for both.

We're getting even more Trek, and I really doubt they're all going to be based on the same premise with the same style and attitude. So you'll likely get what you want, you just may still have to deal with Voyager stinking it up over on UPN with their umpteenth 'Q and the Borg combined are no match for Janeway' episode.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You are getting a bunch of Star Trek because the exclusivity deal for the original cast reboot between Paramount and CBS ended a few years ago and now it is CBS's turn to shovel nostalgia down our throats.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Peachfart posted:

You are getting a bunch of Star Trek because the exclusivity deal for the original cast reboot between Paramount and CBS ended a few years ago and now it is CBS's turn to shovel nostalgia down our throats.

I grant that this is probably another factor. But now who's being the dark, gritty, non-optimistic one?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also it's because CBS really wanted to make their streaming service a thing and figured Star Trek would do well on the internet and nerds are the kind of audience that might sign up.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Seems like it worked? I mean, they're quadrupling down.

They have the incentive to appeal to as many people as possible. A good way to do this is to go in different directions with their shows.

(I'll note that this doesn't mean that any of them have to actually be good. But again, I'll point to the short, which is good. So, you know, we should be hopeful and optimistic, like Star Trek.)

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 14, 2018

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

Also it's because CBS really wanted to make their streaming service a thing and figured Star Trek would do well on the internet and nerds are the kind of audience that might sign up.

Hmmm a star trek show propping up an entire network. That hasn’t been done before, wonder how it’ll work out

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
All of CBS’ bonus reality show content is being filtered through All-Access now. I bet that has a bigger imprint on their bottom line than Star Trek.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Zesty posted:

All of CBS’ bonus reality show content is being filtered through All-Access now. I bet that has a bigger imprint on their bottom line than Star Trek.

If that were true, why develop four or five new Star Trek shows? At least two of which already apparently have a series order?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

ashpanash posted:

If that were true, why develop four or five new Star Trek shows? At least two of which already apparently have a series order?

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, for one, STD was 100% paid for by Netflix licensing in other countries. There may be similar deals in development for the other series. If Netflix decides it isn't getting the return it wants on STD, it may try to negotiate a lower price for later seasons or pass altogether.

Here's where the danger comes in. Netflix is being pressured to develop local content in other markets and may soon be under regulatory requirement to do so. The cash well for STD may dry up really quick if Netflix decides to divert that licensing budget into producing local content.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Well, for one, STD was 100% paid for by Netflix licensing in other countries. There may be similar deals in development for the other series. If Netflix decides it isn't getting the return it wants on STD, it may try to negotiate a lower price for later seasons or pass altogether.

Here's where the danger comes in. Netflix is being pressured to develop local content in other markets and may soon be under regulatory requirement to do so. The cash well for STD may dry up really quick if Netflix decides to divert that licensing budget into producing local content.

But, clearly they're getting the return they want now because these new, additional serieses have been ordered and are in development. Which gets us inevitably back to, one way or another, making new Star Trek is making them money. Enough to bet on even more of it.

I guess you could argue that they're just being completely irrational competitive gamblers doubling down on a bunch of bad bets hoping for a lucky streak but then we just fall down an argumentative hole towards:

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 14, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Like I said, we don't know what other licensing deals they may have in the works for other series.

So far, Star Trek has been zero risk for CBS All-Access. Any net gain in subscribers is profit. That's gotten the ball rolling and raised Star Trek in public consciousness for now, but we still don't have a clear indication if Star Trek can stand on its own. The situation right now could collapse pretty quickly and tank Star Trek on the small screen for another few decades.

It's not a bad thing that the other new series are in development, but we're still a long long way from building up the franchise again.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ok, well...based on that, I think we are following different paths to ultimately land in complete agreement. Awesome!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ashpanash posted:

I guess you could argue that they're just being completely irrational competitive gamblers doubling down on a bunch of bad bets hoping for a lucky streak

Hi, welcome to executive television management, can I interest you in "the way things have been done literally since TV was invented"?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Hi, welcome to executive television management, can I interest you in "the way things have been done literally since TV was invented"?

I'll take "extreme oversimplifications" for $500, Alex.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ashpanash posted:

I'll take "extreme oversimplifications" for $500, Alex.
It's an oversimplification... but I'm not sure I'd say it's extreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Is Star Trek is just a setting or does Star Trek has a specific theme and mood it should at least touch on?

:confused: