Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
rad games of 2018: hitman s2, spaderman, exapunks, into the breach, obra dinn, yoku island express, poe 2, guacamelee 2, monster hunter world, the messenger, donut county, bloodstained, lethal league blaze

cool games of 2018: super mega baseball 2, thronebreaker, soul calibur 6

pretty, well made, and tedious: beard of war, rdr2, blops, far cry 5, ninokuni 2, dargon quest 11

games that conquered me: la mulana 2, mario tennis

lame disappointments: twewy w/motion-only allowed controls, madden's return to pc (but it's bad)

still on my list to play: valkyria chronicles 4, room 3, assassin's creed, the missing, tetris effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hitman 2 is real good, but I'm left imagining the game it would have been if they didn't get screwed by square midway through production, because it is a much smaller game in scope than the last one, and also left with a lot more rough edges. on the other hand miami is a good rear end level and I'm excited to see what they do with escalations and elusives cause some of the areas really feel designed for them in a way most of the previous games maps were not

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

hitman 2 is real good, but I'm left imagining the game it would have been if they didn't get screwed by square midway through production, because it is a much smaller game in scope than the last one, and also left with a lot more rough edges. on the other hand miami is a good rear end level and I'm excited to see what they do with escalations and elusives cause some of the areas really feel designed for them in a way most of the previous games maps were not

It's got more maps actually

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

By the way goty is Monster Hunter World. Depending on their update plans it may be next year's as well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

It's got more maps actually
nah, it has 5, one of them is a tutorial and one of them is practically empty. hitman 1 had 6 + two tutorial maps

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

nah, it has 5, one of them is a tutorial and one of them is practically empty. hitman 1 had 6 + two tutorial maps

It's going to have 7 though, eventually

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

well they're not out yet!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

rad games of 2018: hitman s2, spaderman, exapunks, into the breach, obra dinn, yoku island express, poe 2, guacamelee 2, monster hunter world, the messenger, donut county, bloodstained, lethal league blaze

cool games of 2018: super mega baseball 2, thronebreaker, soul calibur 6

pretty, well made, and tedious: beard of war, rdr2, blops, far cry 5, ninokuni 2, dargon quest 11

games that conquered me: la mulana 2, mario tennis

lame disappointments: twewy w/motion-only allowed controls, madden's return to pc (but it's bad)

still on my list to play: valkyria chronicles 4, room 3, assassin's creed, the missing, tetris effect

Putting dq11 in the same category as RDR, GOW and far cry is criminal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

well they're not out yet!!

Well on day 1 Hitman 1 was just Paris :smugbird:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

Well on day 1 Hitman 1 was just Paris :smugbird:
drat... you got me... the agent 47 of posting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

I had forgotten about this, and the scene it contains that is the greatest thing in all of FF. Thank you.

What scene is that

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

What scene is that

Spoilering because it is literally the villain's hero's motivation. *chain of Yeuls running up to Caius and dying* "I cannot bear this."

Runner up is Snow appearing during 13-2 for all of 4 seconds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

drat... you got me... the agent 47 of posting

Instead of playing more Hitman I just played Splatoon for the 90 minutes of free time I had today so I will be sharing my thoughts eventually :cheers :

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
S-rank games of 2018
final fantasy xv
yakuza 0
persona 5
final fantasy vi

A-rank games
wild arms 3
chrono trigger

E-rank games
debugging why my menu is displaying a sprite from a completely different spritesheet

F-rank games
breath of fire iii

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yakuza 0 goty all years

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just spent 20 minutes in Ninja Gaiden making no progress because I was trying to take on a challenge room of 60 guards. Once I figured that out things got better until I unintentionally jumped off the side of an airship because the camera in this game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my top five games of 2018 are celeste, deltarune and what little i've played of timespinner and those are the only 2018 games i've played because i've been saving my money for katamari reroll and tales of vesperia

so instead i'll list my top ten games i've played for the first time in the year 2018, that didn't release in 2018 because celeste and deltarune would take spots i want to give to other games

bonus slots:
11. 1/3 of spongebob squarepants battle for bikini bottom
10. replay of tales of the abyss

actual ranking:
9. captain rainbow
8. mr. driller: drill land
7. spyro: year of the dragon
6. prey
5. phantom brave
4. yakuza 0
3. mother 3
2. chulip
1. tie between nier automata and rule of rose

i'm still playing ar tonelico 2 though and depending on how much i like the second and third acts that could slot somewhere in my top five

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

F-rank games
breath of fire iii

:mad:

Bof3 is good goddamn it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This year has felt like an eternity and I had to look at a list to see what I played in January through April

Ranked from loved to eh:

Return of the Obra Dinn
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Bayonetta 2
Soulcalibur VI
Into the Breach
Tetris Effect
Lumines Remastered
Yakuza Kiwami 2 (in progress)
EXAPUNKS
Slay the Spire
God of War
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Monster Hunter: World
Mario Tennis Aces
Yoku's Island Express
Dead Cells
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (in progress)
Ni No Kuni 2 (only a few hours)
Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late[st] (only a few hours)
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (only a few hours)
Pokemon Quest (only a few hours)
The Quiet Man (I have watched two full playthroughs at this point)

Honestly I have liked everything that I've put more than I few hours into, this year hasn't been bad

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I got Yakuza Kiwami for free on PS+ and it totally isn't grabbing me like 0 did. I know that's a thing, because obviously a remake of the first game would be featureless compared to a prequel made over a decade later. I'm trying to distract myself from the thought of buying red dead. Also I haven't played God of War, but I'm waiting for an inevitable Black Friday/Christmas sale.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chumbler posted:

I tried melatonin once and it worked, but it left me feeling basically hung over the next morning so I haven't tried it again.

I had the most hosed up on night terrors on melatonin. Second only to PTSD terrors tbh.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Just skip back to X-2.

unironically this. been replaying through X-2 and it's just such a fuckin' romp. Love this game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've been playing mostly on my Ps4 and I don't really like categorizing them as "Good" or "Bad" so let's see

Uncharted 2: An amazing step-up from a very mediocre game.
3: Grenade throwback.
4: The prequel to Lost Legacy
Lost Legacy: The spin-off that should've been the main series.

Watch_Dogs 2: San Andreas 2

Mafia III
: Kill whitey and it feels so drat good.

Just Cause 3: Boom, but bigger than 2.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst: Some drat good kicking, which frankly, is the only factor that should matter in a game.

The Last Guardian: Dive down the goddamn lake you stupid birdcatdog.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice: Holy poo poo, Ninja Theory made a good game?

Dragon Quest Builders: Feelgood game of the year.

Gravity Rush Remastered: Flying is cool, Landing on your face is better, but a bit repetitive. Didn't finish it but mean to go back at some point.

Nex Machina
: ALL HUMANS SAVED

The Evil Within 2
: Hey, a horror game I managed to play! Didn't finish but I got my money's worth.

God of War: This is not going to end well.

Yak0, YaKiwami, YaKiwami 2: It's Showtime!

Destiny 2: Free is free. Might finish the main campaign one day, maybe even buy one of the cheap expansions.

Battlefield 1: Eeeeeeeeeeeh. The vignettes were cool but the actual multi is like two teams zerg rushing each other which, frankly, is a very realistic depiction of World Wars.

Metal Gear Survive: This hole game was made for me. Probably one of the best survival games out there due to having an actual budget.

Monster Hunter World: This game was not made for me. It is not a bad game, but it is not the kind of thing I'm into.

Asscreed Origins: So so. Gets to a middling point and never goes up or down. The changes were okay but in the end it still is Asscreed.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
: Holy loving poo poo, what a gem of a remake this is. I hope one day I can find out who Odin's VA is.

Spider-Man: Does whatever a Spider-can which is getting a Platinum in 5 days.

Detention
: I came here to get scared by ghosts, not by reality.

Rise of the Tomb Raider
:

Samuringa posted:

The Virgin Reboot: You get a grenade launcher

The Chad Rise of the Tomb Raider: You get a trebuchet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxS-T7IEeE

And then you team up with your pal to take down a helicopter with it

https://i.imgur.com/QNISU8h.mp4

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My top 3 in no particular order are MHW, Into the Breach, Heat Signature. AAA gaming was not good to me this year, although I'm expecting to like Sm5sh Bros.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Smash BruVs

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I usually choose my GOTY based on the best game I played that year regardless of release date. :D

As such, my GOTY2018 was Nier:Automata and remains one of the most emotional, evocative and engrossing gaming experiences I have ever had. I struggle to think of a game with a soundtrack I like more or an ending that floored me in the way it did. I will always gush about this game and it probably comes off a hyperbole for which I do apologise, but the game is an utter masterpiece to me and my third favourite Game of All Time!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider
:

I believe you've accidentally linked MGSV footage instead of Tomb Raider

There is a distinct lack of Tombs either way

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I decide GOTY in January, because there are always cool games released in December.

It's like celebrating Christmas in November.
It's November.
Slow your roll peeps

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I wish I could forget everything about Game of All Time Hollow Knight, so that I could play it again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I believe you've accidentally linked MGSV footage instead of Tomb Raider

There is a distinct lack of Tombs either way

actually that is inside a giant tomb, which Lara must raid before the evil tomb raiders can raid it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I 100%ed all of the campaign content in Rise of the Tomb Raider + all its DLCs this year without even making much of a conscious effort to do so. It's just a drat good game. I even liked the Gone Home: Lara Croft Edition DLC.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

they started a no more heroes flavored event in let it die and i think that was the last thing i was looking forward to until sekiro in march so i'm sitting pretty

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My two favorite games this year have been Soul Calibur 6 and, surprisingly, AC Odyssey. I don’t really think I’ve played a single thing I’ve disliked besides the very mediocre Death’s Gambit. I also finished D:OS2 this year so it retroactively goes on my top games of 2017. I’m looking forward to Darksiders 3 even though I don’t think it’s exactly going to set the world on fire.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

giving it a cursory glance it looks like the only games i've played this year that were actually released in tyool 2018 were vermintide 2, battletech, and the 8-bit bloodstained spinoff game that got released, so i guess my goty is looking like the 8-bit bloodstained spinoff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Volte posted:

I 100%ed all of the campaign content in Rise of the Tomb Raider + all its DLCs this year without even making much of a conscious effort to do so. It's just a drat good game. I even liked the Gone Home: Lara Croft Edition DLC.

The Endurance Mode DLC is so addicting and way better than most actual full-featured survival games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Unordered top 10:

mhw
mhgu
poe2
celeste
into the breach
la mulana 2
dq11
octopath
hitman 2
probably smash

Only game that sticks out that I didn't like is battletech. Not huge into the franchise but I was a little bit hype before it came out and it ended up just not really being for me.

And I really wanna find the time to play obra dinn and maybe megaman

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the only game I bought this year and regretted was Little Witch Academia, I was prepared for a mediocre anime tie in but not... that

Well I also regret buying SC6 and the season pass and then playing it for a grand total of two hours like I do with every single fighting game but I should have known.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Help Im Alive posted:

Why doesn't someone invent a device that lets you play video games in your sleep

Snooze Cruise posted:

freddy krueger doesn't have the tech know how

um, excuse me??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJnuP2_yb8&hd=1&t=118s

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah i was pretty psyched for battletech too but it was kind of a mediocre title, but harebrained schemes managed to build shadowrun into something great after a mediocre first entry so i'll still keep an eye on what happens

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cowcaster posted:

yeah i was pretty psyched for battletech too but it was kind of a mediocre title, but harebrained schemes managed to build shadowrun into something great after a mediocre first entry so i'll still keep an eye on what happens

That's a shame, I played the poo poo out of The Crescent Hawk games on my 286 way back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'll hold until next month to go into detail by my gotys are looking like mhw/gu, Celeste, iconoclasts, hitman 2, dqxi, smash, poe2 and maybe bbtag.

I know I've trolled about it some in the past, but since I figure it'll show up a lot on lists - what did people who really liked God of War see in it? I don't think it's bad, it's the best GoW at least, but outside of visuals the rest of the game just seemed competent but not outstanding.

• Locked thread