Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bec9b94e4b03af89266428d

I know Tim Ryan specifically is on Pelosi's right... Are the rest of the people signing this conservadems or is it ideologically mixed? I'm not really familiar with the rest of the signers.

I just checked all of them on Progressive Punch. I'm not sure how well their scoring system works, but of the currently elected members nearly everyone of them was rated a D or an F, so it looks like this is a conservadem movement. Exceptions - Marcia Fudge and Linda Sanchez are rated B and A respectively.

I'd support a leftdem movement to oust her, potentially, depending on who they rallied behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

The acting attorney general has undoubtedly been given a briefing on the Mueller probe by Rod and Mueller by now, and he's taken that information to the president, because he's a loving hatchet man.

He knows poo poo's about to go down, if it is, so guessing his foul mood is related to that isn't far fetched at all.

nothing you just said is 'undoubted' we literally have no idea what's going on

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I wonder if this is a hint that Whitaker has started sending info from the SCO to Donny already. (e: ^lol)

Also, very normal government:
https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1063069109858914304

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 15, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

There's a bunch of ambassadorship postings that are basically regarded as gimmies to donors because they don't require a lot of effort; South Africa was from what I remember one of them

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

You should not double post reaction gifs itt, tia.

Nathan J. Robinson writes for Current Affairs about mass animal farming and the prospect of ending it.

The best diet/farming strategy is one that does incorporate animal products, but at an amount far smaller than the amount of meat and animal product used today. It’s true that growing food specifically for animal consumption that we then eat is a poor use of resources, but a lot of animal feed is made/can be made from the plant scraps of harvesting (corn silage), from releasing chickens/goats/sheep onto field rotations/post harvesting, and from things like bakery, brewery, and vegetable oil refining waste.

That said, cows are particularly wasteful and best practices are done with chickens in this regard, though goats and sheep are decent.

However, you could also argue that cricket farming and other insects can better use the various waste foods while animals should only used as part of crop rotations or vegetation control, which would further decrease numbers.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
:decorum:

https://www.facebook.com/tiffany.easter.35/posts/10156279441089608

https://twitter.com/TiffanyEaster/status/1062411102292791302

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a bunch of ambassadorship postings that are basically regarded as gimmies to donors because they don't require a lot of effort

Pretty much. Here's an NPR article about some of Obama's.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Avenatti is unhappy with Jacob Wohl

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1063080419606749185

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Nathan J. Robinson writes for Current Affairs about mass animal farming and the prospect of ending it.

This was a really interesting article; thanks for posting it. I think a lot about animal welfare, and although I don't really have a problem with eating meat in principle, I think a lot of our current practices are needlessly cruel. I try to get free-range / cruelty-free / halal / kosher products whenever possible, but I would welcome an alternative cruelty-free form of "meat", especially if it also had the benefit of being much more ecologically efficient. It sounds like that is on the way, which is very exciting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chilichimp posted:

I thought we were allowed to discuss news? I was just posting about how loving disappointingly dark America has become.

Someone stands up and shouts something in a theater and people start literally running, assuming that person is there to murder a bunch of people.

I mean poo poo, yesterday I think I saw a US flag that wasn't at half-mast!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tnega posted:

Pretty much. Here's an NPR article about some of Obama's.

The primary job requirement of an ambassador is throwing good dinner parties. That's about it in most cases. A few require some diplomatic tact, but not many.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't forgive and forget after all the horrible things he said about you and all the outright tedcruzian skullduggery. Dammit beto.

Although I suppose I might not be too pissy if I had helped utterly annihilate a huge portion of the Texas republican machine through my actions, even if I hadn't won myself, if I were him. Still.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 15, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Please tell me Wohl is stupid enough to have filed a false report and left tracks. Please.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

The primary job requirement of an ambassador is throwing good dinner parties. That's about it in most cases. A few require some diplomatic tact, but not many.

And being able to bankroll those parties yourself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ReidRansom posted:

And being able to bankroll those parties yourself. They're not given a super lavish entertainment budget or anything; it's a money-losing gig you give to rich people to reward loyalty and feed their egos.

And because unless something like an alien invasion happens, there's nothing we particularly need an ambassador there for. South Africa, and Hungary to use an example from the NPR article, are places where just plain nothing happens that's relevant to the US and nothing is likely to ever happen that's relevant to the US. They have stable and working relationships with the US, and there's simply nothing diplomatic to do under normal circumstances that won't be handled by the embassy's staff. In the event something happens that needs legit diplomacy, the State Department will send over someone relevant.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

can we not do this inevitably long and inevitably stupid dispute in the news thread

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Wouldn't the initial report to the police have been filed anonymously? If so, I don't really know how Avenatti could go after Jacob because the police would probably prefer not to reveal the identity of those who reported a crime anonymously.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Nemo Somen posted:

Wouldn't the initial report to the police have been filed anonymously? If so, I don't really know how Avenatti could go after Jacob because the police would probably prefer not to reveal the identity of those who reported a crime anonymously.

Because he's the internet's dumbest man Wohl has already been bragging about being responsible for this through the Surefire twitter.

Avenatti's pretty scummy in his own regard so I feel like him and Wohl going at it is kind of a win-win.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 15, 2018

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Feinne posted:

Because he's the internet's dumbest man Wohl has already been bragging about being responsible for this through the Surefire twitter.

Yeah, but people are capable of claiming credit for things they didn't do. So I would think that a lawsuit in this situation would need a higher standard than 'he claims he did it' to be successful.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't forgive and forget after all the horrible things he said about you and all the outright tedcruzian skullduggery. Dammit beto.

Although I suppose I might not be too pissy if I had helped utterly annihilate a huge portion of the Texas republican machine through my actions, even if I hadn't won myself, if I were him. Still.

Here's the news story that resulted. Beto saw Cruz, went over to shake his hand since it was the first time they had seen each other in person since the election, and had some sort of small talk about "moving forward together". Seems to be pretty much the minimum amount of going through the motions and I find it amusing that Beto is as far away from Cruz as possible in that picture and he hasn't retweeted the story (Cruz retweeted it last night).

He could have ignored him but someone surely would have noticed they both were there and then the story would be "Beto is a sore loser!" Hell I wouldn't put it past Cruz to try and organize that sort of thing himself to get a last punch in at Beto's reputation.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I just checked all of them on Progressive Punch. I'm not sure how well their scoring system works, but of the currently elected members nearly everyone of them was rated a D or an F, so it looks like this is a conservadem movement. Exceptions - Marcia Fudge and Linda Sanchez are rated B and A respectively.

I'd support a leftdem movement to oust her, potentially, depending on who they rallied behind.

I know SA doesn't really like Pelosi, but she's likely better than the more conservative democrats, right?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nemo Somen posted:

I know SA doesn't really like Pelosi, but she's likely better than the more conservative democrats, right?

I'm not sure if this counts as posting about posting, but I think the SA D&D regulars are mixed on Pelosi. If you're a left winger, you should prefer Pelosi to Tim Ryan, but still want someone else in the Speaker's chair. There's no doubt she's an excellent parliamentarian and has a strong hand on her whip. Depending on your ideology she may be too much of a capitalist. I don't think she's serving well as a "face of the party," but even there I wonder how much that perception is fueled by right wing attacks sinking into popular consciousness. There's also been a lot of discussion on whether "face of the party" is really a proper job requirement for a speaker. I tend to think it should be, at least right now.

To his credit, Tim Ryan mentions putting Fudge in the chair specifically and at least according to Progressive Punch (again, no idea about their methodology) she's decent. A change in face that's a lateral move ideologically could potentially be worth discussing. A rightward shift ideologically just to have a different face is absolutely a bad idea IMO.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 15, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nemo Somen posted:

Yes, she's hands down the best person for the job ATM. The person to gun for is Steny Hoyer. He's old and useless, and House Majority Leader is a good spot to put Pelosi's successor.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Bringing up progressive punch reminds me to ask, is there any generally accepted sort of ranking system where we can say who is most or least progressive/leftist/whatever?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

To his credit, Tim Ryan mentions putting Fudge in the chair specifically and at least according to Progressive Punch (again, no idea about their methodology) she's decent. A change in face that's a lateral move ideologically could potentially be worth discussing. A rightward shift ideologically just to have a different face is absolutely a bad idea IMO.

Go look up Marcia Fudge and the Equality Act.

She was one of four dems, total, along with Donnelly and Manchin, to oppose it

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, she's hands down the best person for the job ATM. The person to gun for is Steny Hoyer. He's old and useless, and House Majority Leader is a good spot to put Pelosi's successor.

I would argue that Barbara Lee is going to be the way of the future in terms of leadership for the Speakership and either give Pelosi House Majority Leader or House Whip.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

eke out posted:

Go look up Marcia Fudge and the Equality Act.

She was one of four dems, total, along with Donnelly and Manchin, to oppose it

Oh. Ew. OK, well, nevermind about that then.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A lot of reporters were saying this is not true, and if it was reporters would have noted it in their stories because most of them know Lindsay Walters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I would argue that Barbara Lee is going to be the way of the future in terms of leadership for the Speakership and either give Pelosi House Majority Leader or House Whip.

Has Lee even expressed any interest in becoming Speaker?

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Bringing up progressive punch reminds me to ask, is there any generally accepted sort of ranking system where we can say who is most or least progressive/leftist/whatever?

I usually try to look at 538's voting track record here. Its a bit limited. There are other nuances that don't necessarily make it the best method, but I think its often pretty useful.

Nemo Somen fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 15, 2018

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Nemo Somen posted:

Yeah, but people are capable of claiming credit for things they didn't do. So I would think that a lawsuit in this situation would need a higher standard than 'he claims he did it' to be successful.

Knowing Wohl he's probably mailed Avenatti a signed and notarized document stating that he is the one behind it all 'to own him'.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has Lee even expressed any interest in becoming Speaker?

Nobody with any sense at all has publicly expressed any interest in becoming Speaker, nor will they until Pelosi definitively will not be the next Speaker.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Barbara Lee is also 72. If people want new/young blood in the party leadership, she's not a good choice.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Nobody with any sense at all has publicly expressed any interest in becoming Speaker, nor will they until Pelosi definitively will not be the next Speaker.

Lee's running for Democratic Caucus Chair as it stands. Like you said, she'd be stupid to oppose Pelosi and sabotage her chances to continue climbing the leadership ladder - same goes for a lot of other more senior progressive types, there's a lot 'leadership' positions, even minor ones, and no one wants to be screwed out of them because they came at the queen and missed.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

evilweasel posted:

A lot of reporters were saying this is not true, and if it was reporters would have noted it in their stories because most of them know Lindsay Walters.

Yea, I should have looked closer at the source, his responses to the replies asking for verification are not encouraging.

Sorry thread!

*puts a dollar in the jar*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm not sure if this counts as posting about posting, but I think the SA D&D regulars are mixed on Pelosi. If you're a left winger, you should prefer Pelosi to Tim Ryan, but still want someone else in the Speaker's chair. There's no doubt she's an excellent parliamentarian and has a strong hand on her whip. Depending on your ideology she may be too much of a capitalist. I don't think she's serving well as a "face of the party," but even there I wonder how much that perception is fueled by right wing attacks sinking into popular consciousness. There's also been a lot of discussion on whether "face of the party" is really a proper job requirement for a speaker. I tend to think it should be, at least right now.

Pelosi, last time she was in the Speaker's chair, was solidly in the left wing of national democrats. Doesn't mean everything the House produced between 2008-2010 was as progressive as she wanted, but she was pulling things to the left and trying to drag the remaining Blue Dogs along, and then trying to push the Senate into action farther to the left than they wanted to be. Between 2010-2014, she would generally be pushing less compromise and more fighting with Republicans than Reid/Obama were. People have really sort of bought into the Republican framing that she's Bad but without really a good feeling why she's bad.

Replacing her with someone who is younger would be good, because it doesn't help the party's image that it's a bunch of ooooooooold people in House leadership and that nobody under the age of 60 has been given any real responsibility. But I think the best thing to do would be to keep her for the next two years, grooming a younger leadership team that could then have the house turned over to them in 2020.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/MikeGrunwald/status/1063072803669377024?s=19

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Pelosi, last time she was in the Speaker's chair, was solidly in the left wing of national democrats. Doesn't mean everything the House produced between 2008-2010 was as progressive as she wanted, but she was pulling things to the left and trying to drag the remaining Blue Dogs along, and then trying to push the Senate into action farther to the left than they wanted to be. Between 2010-2014, she would generally be pushing less compromise and more fighting with Republicans than Reid/Obama were. People have really sort of bought into the Republican framing that she's Bad but without really a good feeling why she's bad.

I agree with this entirely, but I think it's incomplete without pointing out that the 2006-2010 Democratic party made a lot of mistakes about how far left to go (or really, not go). So while it is 100% true that she was the left of the party at that time I don't know how much that means for the 2018-2020 and forward party

evilweasel posted:

Replacing her with someone who is younger would be good, because it doesn't help the party's image that it's a bunch of ooooooooold people in House leadership and that nobody under the age of 60 has been given any real responsibility. But I think the best thing to do would be to keep her for the next two years, grooming a younger leadership team that could then have the house turned over to them in 2020.

It's a bad look and the blame has to go to Pelosi for failing to groom enough successors. I'd be fine with her staying on for 2 more years to groom a young successor but she should make it clear that's what she's doing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1063090820151152640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)