Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

We should be able to marry Primals and bring them gifts.

Edit: The Griffin was right and Raubahn betrayed his own people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to marry Ravana

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm going to marry Ravana

He and Susano are definitely top tier husbands.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm genuinely not sure where all the BLU bellyaching is coming from.

It's pretty clearly a different kind of content that they're rolling with to see if it'll serve as good content to build on in an MMO that's getting to be about middle-aged.

And yeah, if the job in question were Beastmaster, guaranteed no one would bat an eye (at least if they have passing awareness of FFXI)

I mean, it might be lovely. If it is, don't play it.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

You sure are invested into making sure I'm wrong about being bummed I can't queue into Duty Finder as Blu. Jokes on you though, I chain-queue into lower level dungeons all the time because it lets me collect glamours, crafting materials, and level an new class at the same time.

I just wanted to helpfully point out that you aren't forever locked out of instances party content as BLU, but my bad I guess, sorry for that.
I would also point out that you can just as efficiently do the very same things you stated with your squadron with the added upside that all loot goes to you, but you may throw that back into my face too.

As for BLU I just hope this lets them not worry too much about keeping it balanced, and instead just going nuts with fun and crazy strong spells being learnable, also they better let "Bomb Toss" have a random chance to blow up in your face.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mazed posted:

People wanted to be able to play the game with the new class they're releasing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you don't see why people aren't psyched about a class that can't do random duty queues or deep dives/heaven-on-high at all? Like I don't care about the latter all that much personally but I can at least understand if someone was super into BLU mage and also super into that sort of thing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mazed posted:

It's pretty clearly a different kind of content that they're rolling with to see if it'll serve as good content to build on in an MMO that's getting to be about middle-aged.

And yeah, if the job in question were Beastmaster, guaranteed no one would bat an eye (at least if they have passing awareness of FFXI)

if you can't understand why people are disappointed with a super hype job being a minigame instead then I wonder how you understand people enough to get through your day

like, seriously, the "Well why are people even mad!!!" poo poo is more annoying than the people being disappointed that BLU is what it is.

I'm really more bummed that this particular aesthetic is being used for something that isn't just a regular class, although I admit I don't really know what a gentleman thief class would be if not blue mage.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mazed posted:

'make a new thing and a new way to engage with the world'

'not like that stop'

As a big fan of Blue Mage I love how this sounds, I don't know what people expected unless they wanted FFXI's watered down BLU with prettier graphics.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Choyi posted:

As for BLU I just hope this lets them not worry too much about keeping it balanced, and instead just going nuts with fun and crazy strong spells being learnable, also they better let "Bomb Toss" have a random chance to blow up in your face.

If BLU doesn't end up this absurd job with some crazy fun spells then they truly have lost it. It's the perfect opportunity to revitalize older content as well. I want to see just how ridiculous ARR's old end-game gets if you chuck a Blue Mage or two in there.

e: Also IIRC BLU has always been this kind of side-content collectible-progression gimmick job anyway, and the last time they tried to add it to an MMO it broke things. This embraces what I actually enjoyed about BLU.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 18, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can see why people are disappointed but I can also see that a class that has 50 skills would be near impossible to balance for things. Didn't it utterly break the game when they tried to add it to FFXI?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

'make a new thing and a new way to engage with the world'

'not like that stop'

As a big fan of Blue Mage I love how this sounds, I don't know what people expected unless they wanted FFXI's watered down BLU with prettier graphics.

It's perfectly possible to have a blue mage class set within FFXIV's class structure that also captures the essence of "uses monster abilities." Like, people talk up how ~WhAcKy~ blue mage needs to be, but... not really?

Although, if we're really getting down to it, BLU should have to use a giant fork and eat monsters to gain their abilities because Quina is the best blue mage and I will fuckin fite anyone over this. A mage with a cane is loving milquetoast compared to what it should be if they're already taking it out of the regular class pool.

Nodosaur posted:

I can see why people are disappointed but I can also see that a class that has 50 skills would be near impossible to balance for things. Didn't it utterly break the game when they tried to add it to FFXI?

(you don't have to make it have 50 abilities, wtf)

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

If BLU doesn't end up this absurd job with some crazy fun spells then they truly have lost it. It's the perfect opportunity to revitalize older content as well. I want to see just how ridiculous ARR's old end-game gets if you chuck a Blue Mage or two in there.

Go hog wild my friend!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Choyi posted:

but you may throw that back into my face too.

sure thing. Grand Company Command Missions are available for only like a third of the dungeons a level 50 BLU could queue for, and this is not including the trials and raids you can queue into in Duty Finder, and also not including the whole mess of dungeons and trials and raids you can use Duty Finder for once BLU's level cap gets raised.

Captain Cappy posted:

He and Susano are definitely top tier husbands.

my beautiful bug boyfriend

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Babe Magnet posted:

you don't see why people aren't psyched about a class that can't do random duty queues or deep dives/heaven-on-high at all? Like I don't care about the latter all that much personally but I can at least understand if someone was super into BLU mage and also super into that sort of thing.

I mean I see it, but I was never going to use blu in any of that poo poo anyway if it was a normal class outside of the brief period where I was leveling it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

This really isn't rocket science, guys. Just say "Yeah that sucks, even though I'm looking forward to it." A life lesson: acknowledge people's feelings on something that bums them out, it's much better than "lol why are you even upset"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah if you're hyped about BLU despite all the stuff I personally don't like, sick I'm glad you're able to have fun with things I don't and I hope it turns out great for you. I'm allowed to be disappointed, though. That's not to say there aren't things I like about BLU, I just wish it turned out a little differently.

CrashScreen posted:

If BLU doesn't end up this absurd job with some crazy fun spells then they truly have lost it. It's the perfect opportunity to revitalize older content as well

THIS would make me super hyped again. Change up some of the old dungeons, advance storylines. It would be a ton of work and at the end of the day probably not worth it but the same thing could be said about BLU lol

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I mean I see it, but I was never going to use blu in any of that poo poo anyway if it was a normal class outside of the brief period where I was leveling it.

Imagine if they came up with a good solution to the hour long DPS queues, then you might. I know I'd like to play other roles than tank/healer but I really don't want to wait 15-40 minutes just for a queue pop. I hope whatever sane people are left on the design team have plans to address this while YoshiP fucks off and makes another Eureka or whatever.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
people might also be upset because they want to experience all of the cool new expansion content as their favorite class but won't be able to because it's going to be gated at a lower level

so for people that wanted to actually play Blue Mage as their main, well

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Hot take blue mage looks fine to me. Gimmick mode where you're chunking bosses with flashy abilities could be fun. Though it would also have been funny to mighty guard to reduce damage taken by 5%, or use a primal's fuckoff oneshot ability to do 300 potency, or bad breath to apply 10% less strength and dexterity for 10 seconds, etc.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

e: Also IIRC BLU has always been this kind of side-content collectible-progression gimmick job anyway, and the last time they tried to add it to an MMO it broke things. This embraces what I actually enjoyed about BLU.

I had no real hype for BLU before fanfest reveal, but now I can hardly wait to see how it turns out when they opened up the possibilities for it being a real pokemon style class, hell I'm even yearning for beastmaster to possibly get similar treatment in the future.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
people being disappointed that they wont be able to raid as blue mage if they really wanted to is understandable

people acting like this is a terrible idea that nobody will like and yoship is a hack and they could design it way better is lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I mentioned this earlier but I actually hope BLU turns out to be a big success and everyone loves it because maybe they'll add Onion Knight some day. Casting Summoner spells while katana tanking with dragoon leaps, go see all of the class trainers to learn tentpole job moves

the ultimate solo class

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Cappy posted:

Imagine if they came up with a good solution to the hour long DPS queues, then you might. I know I'd like to play other roles than tank/healer but I really don't want to wait 15-40 minutes just for a queue pop. I hope whatever sane people are left on the design team have plans to address this while YoshiP fucks off and makes another Eureka or whatever.

yeah I'm sure this design issue that has plagued every mmo with party roles will definitely be solved this time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FZeroRacer posted:

people might also be upset because they want to experience all of the cool new expansion content as their favorite class but won't be able to because it's going to be gated at a lower level

I mean, fairer yea but they did lead off with 'it goes just to 50 and then 60 once the expansion drops' right away yesterday.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

people being disappointed that they wont be able to raid as blue mage if they really wanted to is understandable

people acting like this is a terrible idea that nobody will like and yoship is a hack and they could design it way better is lol

I mean I could design it way better

make it a culinarian advanced class with a giant fork that has to cook parts from monster drops and eat them in order to learn their abilities via a cooking minigame like overcooked, where 4 blue mages need to satisfy the aether requirements while doing whacky things with elevators and WHO KEEPS LEAVING WARP GATES IN KITCHENS COME ON GUYS

but it'll probably still be a neat thing to gently caress around with for a couple days and then forget about, so it's head and shoulders automatically better than eureka even now

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

do you actually have to level BLU or does it start at 50 like SAM and RDM

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

How's that any different from the people that wanted to main drk before HW came out and then were like "its a tank?? you hosed up this time yoship". People want to play with gunblades but who the gently caress knows if it will be any good or not.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

BLU isn't what I want, but I also play destiny so I'm pretty good at dealing with disappointment.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

do you actually have to level BLU or does it start at 50 like SAM and RDM

You have to level it. I imagine you'll need to get gear for it as you level too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

homeless snail posted:

How's that any different from the people that wanted to main drk before HW came out and then were like "its a tank?? you hosed up this time yoship". People want to play with gunblades but who the gently caress knows if it will be any good or not.

I mean, you could still play dark knight in all endgame content, so it's p different

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It kind of sucks if you wanted to main BLU just because it's BLU but to be genuinely honest I like the idea of new content and playstyles that don't have to be balanced around the usual thing especially when there's already a bloat of DPS classes.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

because even though people might not like the direction XIV took it, it's playable in all current content

like i don't have to worry about 'oh this patch adds rad new content am i going to be arbitrarily locked out because i'm a blue mage and i'm not updated yet??'

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Captain Cappy posted:

This was never going to help that and I do pretty much all content as sam or rdm so I already accept queue times :shrug:.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

You have to level it. I imagine you'll need to get gear for it as you level too.

that's kind of annoying due to lack of duty finder but it's not a huge deal I guess. I guess it's good I saved up all of those leve allowances lol

FZeroRacer posted:

like i don't have to worry about 'oh this patch adds rad new content am i going to be arbitrarily locked out because i'm a blue mage and i'm not updated yet??'

to be fair any given character isn't just <Class>, they're every class. People can want to main BLU, but they can't actually main BLU until it catches up, so people aren't going to have to worry about being left behind as a BLU main ever because you were never there in the first place

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 18, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

because even though people might not like the direction XIV took it, it's playable in all current content

Were you planning to main BLU no matter what even if you despised the playstyle and it was the new worst thing ever?

If you're planning to play Blue Mage no matter what then you can and you have content dedicated to it and it's actually more accurate to how the job would play then pretty much anything else they could come up with. If you wanted something to raid in then why hyper-focus on a class you had no idea how it would play and which you might not even enjoy/find boring/etc?

I guess I don't see how it's a bad thing. If you love the idea of Blue Mage this is a very accurate representation of it that even allows you to capture the unbalanced/OP aspect that people worried about. Otherwise it's like "I'm upset that this job I might have liked maybe isn't going to be valid in endgame rading" as if half the conversations in this thread don't revolve around the fact that a job sucks because it is slightly less than optimal anyway.

Also considering you have to have finished the ARR story before you can even touch Blue Mage you're presumably going to have another class leveled already.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I mean, you could still play dark knight in all endgame content, so it's p different
People that don't want to play a tank couldn't, can't please everyone I guess

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
its not like we're even losing a "real" job, we're getting this before the expansion, and still getting 2 jobs in shadowbringer, they said they would never do 3 at the same time again after heavensward. it's like being mad that the new golden saucer content or big fishing isn't A Job I Can Take Into All COntent!!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

homeless snail posted:

People that don't want to play a tank couldn't, can't please everyone I guess

Actually they could, they just didn't want to. That's pretty different than "Wanted to, but Couldn't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm legitimately intrigued as to what the new Gold Saucer content could be. A full renovation?