Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

There will never be a melee healer. Stop asking for it.

Please elaborate as the reason why it wouldn't be possible then. We already had healers min max dps by auto attack meleeing between casting stone and regens back in ARR raids. Can just tune their DPS to be equal to the other three healers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Choyi posted:

Please elaborate as the reason why it wouldn't be possible then. We already had healers min max dps by auto attack meleeing between casting stone and regens back in ARR raids. Can just tune their DPS to be equal to the other three healers.

Literally all the fights that require healers to stay at a distance from the boss and from other party members.

Even if they went back and removed those mechanics, do you think raids are going to want a healer that can't be mobile or a healer that can be mobile? If the melee healer is doing the same dps as the other healers, why would you take a healer that has to stack on the boss?

So then, when it comes to dps it will naturally be imbalanced. If the boss involves a lot of movement, the melee healer will have their DPS plummet. So if you increase the DPS to compensate, the healer will be disproportionately better than the other healers for fights where the boss doesn't move.

Two things in this game that won't happen: Melee healers and ranged tanks. Stop asking.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 18, 2018

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Yeah, breaking established fight mechanics is a pretty real concern.

That said, it would be interesting to have a caster healer that has a melee-range feel to it. Maybe something like a dash to an ally that heals/shields the target? A close-ranged AoE heal that encourages you to stack up with your allies? RDM, for example, spends very little time in melee, but it contributes a lot to the feel of the job, since the melee combo's the finisher of the rotation.

It's not necessary or desirable to have a healer that always needs to be in melee, but having some incentives, especially on high-point moments, could go a long way to getting the right feel.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Well, the news today has been pretty disappointing. I was surprised that no one asked about Eureka during the Q&A, since I figured people would really want answers against Eureka after how it has (or rather, hasn't) turned out. Then Blue Mage comes along and becomes a potentially bigger disappointment than Eureka within 24 hours of its reveal.

And beyond all this, we still have to wait another month and a half for 4.5 part one, huh?

This feels hopeless. I'm not sure what's going on with the dev team right now. :psyduck:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Literally all the fights that require healers to stay at a distance from the boss and from other party members.

Even if they went back and removed those mechanics, do you think raids are going to want a healer that can't be mobile or a healer that can be mobile? If the melee healer is doing the same dps as the other healers, why would you take a healer that has to stack on the boss?

So then, when it comes to dps it will naturally be imbalanced. If the boss involves a lot of movement, the melee healer will have their DPS plummet. So if you increase the DPS to compensate, the healer will be disproportionately better than the other healers for fights where the boss doesn't move.

Two things in this game that won't happen: Melee healers and ranged tanks. Stop asking.

Who says they have to be in melee the whole time? And what says SE can't find a way to make it work into the game and at least feel like something different then a standard healer.
But you seem to have some real hardon for hating anything that goes outside the norm of trinity MMOs, I'm sure glad you aren't on SEs dev team(or maybe you are and that's why we got eureka?) :O

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Choyi posted:

Who says they have to be in melee the whole time?

Then what makes them a melee healer?
Like, I agree that a healer with RDM's 'lunge in, do a bunch of damage while looking cool, backflip out' would be neat.
But that's only like, 40% of RDM and doesn't make them a melee caster.

Like, the main reason that Ranged Tank will never happen is because unless a boss doesn't move, it's impossible for the 'Ranged' part of Ranged Tank to actually happen. Bosses close into melee range and it's part of a tanks job to position things and there's no benefit to them being ranged (although again, a tank that can do cool spells/abilities that can be done at range would be cool.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 18, 2018

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Then what makes them a melee healer?
Like, I agree that a healer with RDM's 'lunge in, do a bunch of damage while looking cool, backflip out' would be neat.
But that's only like, 40% of RDM and doesn't make them a melee caster.

Fine then make them like how RDM is a caster with melee flavor but as a healer. Problem solved.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

November 17th, 2018 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Square-Enix announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Square-Enix was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns and Final Fantasy XV Cup Noodle Edition were all quality game series that combined anime-style aesthetics with engaging RPG gameplay. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. Final Fantasy XIV was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Square-Enix began releasing quality expansions that raised the bar ever higher for MMORPGs.

Then Blue Mage was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Square-Enix's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Square-Enix had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Final Fantasy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Square-Enix had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

The Grimace posted:

And beyond all this, we still have to wait another month and a half for 4.5 part one, huh?

It's only an extra week or two at most, and that's probably so the dev team can take a small break while hoping no one notices, because the last time they took a break the bitching about 3.1's delay was incredible.

Most patches are released 112 days apart, which would put 4.5, part 1 being released on the 8th of Jan, I'd put the release date as the 15th.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Same

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nessus posted:

November 17th, 2018 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Square-Enix announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Square-Enix was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns and Final Fantasy XV Cup Noodle Edition were all quality game series that combined anime-style aesthetics with engaging RPG gameplay. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. Final Fantasy XIV was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Square-Enix began releasing quality expansions that raised the bar ever higher for MMORPGs.

Then Blue Mage was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Square-Enix's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Square-Enix had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Final Fantasy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Square-Enix had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

holy wow

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since I don't raid I'm kinda excited for mini-game BLU but also kinda sad for the people who have been fantasizing playing a Blue Mage in the endgame for years now. That must have been a bummer.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

source your quotes because I want to read this salt mine

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Nessus posted:

they just announced the trust system, weren't you paying attention

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

TheHeadSage posted:

source your quotes because I want to read this salt mine

It’s a reword of that copy paste about... ffxiii? I forget.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sunken Temple

I need a cigarette, and I don't even smoke.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The healer was a honest healer so the whole thing took 40 minutes

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Nessus posted:

:wtc:

I think they should have released BLU second and maybe Gunblade/SOLDIER first but.... wow

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

look at all this additional content blue mage is already generating

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
BLU being a minigame makes me think that DNC will end up being a DPS job sadly. Zero reason to doubt the leaker at this point that Gunblade is a tank, and it would be hella surprising to not have yet another DPS job since that's what pleases the most players.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

The game doesn't need to be 100% balanced for all classes on all fights.

Also, PLD is pretty much a ranged tank that exists in the game right now.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Mymla posted:

Also, PLD is pretty much a ranged tank that exists in the game right now.
It has a single ranged attack?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

People who play Paradox games and this are laughing their rear end off rn.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Nessus posted:

You missed the line about not feeling human anymore. :allears:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I just want to have a hearty lol at PLDs that clemency themselves when they get down to 80% health

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Especially when they have an excog

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

oh no blimp issue posted:

I just want to have a hearty lol at PLDs that clemency themselves when they get down to 80% health

They're trying to tell you to cast more Holy.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I began leveling my crafters this week and my inventory is overwhelmed. Chocobo bag and both retainers are nearly full. Do people tend to level only a couple crafters at a time? Pay money to have more retainers? Any inventory tips you all can pass along?

Sorry for interrupting the BLU discussion with my newbie question.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

oh no blimp issue posted:

It has a single ranged attack?

A single ranged attack that, from skimming through some logs on fflogs, represents around 15% of a paladin's casts. That's pretty significant, and I don't see why they couldn't make a new tank that has even more ranged abilities.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

central dogma posted:

I began leveling my crafters this week and my inventory is overwhelmed. Chocobo bag and both retainers are nearly full. Do people tend to level only a couple crafters at a time? Pay money to have more retainers? Any inventory tips you all can pass along?

You have now found half the reason why you can pay for more retainers.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

central dogma posted:

Learn to love the Ixal and company hand in's. Borrow a friend who doesn't mind crafting what the ixal want when its HQ and they're offering more xp (star icon) for it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The trailer dude going Dark Knight reminded me once again how ridiculously loving good PTSD: The Questline was. Does any other questline deliver as hard?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

central dogma posted:

Though it's more of a gatherer thing, one protip is that the majority of fish caught while leveling is useless for anything but desynthesis (barring levequests and turn-ins obviously) so don't hoard them too much thinking you'll eventually use them all in cooking like I did. If you're not sure what is and isn't used elsewhere, check the wiki.

Also some basic crafting stuff can be bought from vendors, so you can save space by buying those as you need them instead. But yeah, ultimately the easiest way is to have an extra retainer or two.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Monathin posted:

I've legitimately seen one person I know go "this is why they need to implement cross-datacenter play!!!" and I didn't have the heart to tell him how completely insane that sounded

They should implement cross DC instances, at least regionally. Instances are already on different servers, why couldn't instance servers be DC agnostic?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

If the expansion is about fight Amdapor and DARKNESS, the next part of the trailer should have Lander turn into a Black Mage.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Something I'd been mulling over as a complete speculative possibility with the BLU reveal, in relation to Dancer and Gunblade is - what if they made them so they they can function as DPS and as healer/tanks (I can't shake the feeling that we should get classes for each role for some reason). Like make them have a stance/oath/sect/whatever, but when they use it it actually shifts their access to role actions / queue availability. GUN can function as a tank or DPS, and DNC can function as a healer or DPS. Make it only shiftable in towns or something and you have a solution ala multiple talent specs in WoW that allow you to undertake multiple roles with the same class (not sure if this is still a thing in WoW, but it was when I last played back in Wrath).

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Marathanes posted:

Something I'd been mulling over as a complete speculative possibility with the BLU reveal, in relation to Dancer and Gunblade is - what if they made them so they they can function as DPS and as healer/tanks (I can't shake the feeling that we should get classes for each role for some reason). Like make them have a stance/oath/sect/whatever, but when they use it it actually shifts their access to role actions / queue availability. GUN can function as a tank or DPS, and DNC can function as a healer or DPS. Make it only shiftable in towns or something and you have a solution ala multiple talent specs in WoW that allow you to undertake multiple roles with the same class (not sure if this is still a thing in WoW, but it was when I last played back in Wrath).

This means balancing/designing 4 new classes instead of 2. I don't think they'll do something like that

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mulva posted:

The trailer dude going Dark Knight reminded me once again how ridiculously loving good PTSD: The Questline was. Does any other questline deliver as hard?

My takes on the good stuff. Nothing's as good as DRK, but that's a pretty tall bar to clear and not really meant to devalue the others.

PLD is mostly fine, HW has a bizarre twist that kind of works in context of Paladins but sure makes you view them differently.

DRG is good for some of its context regarding ishgard and this holds true for NIN, MNK and SAM in their respective nations. SAM deserves extra credit for the 50-60 story being delightful movie schlock. :allears:

MCH is a good time if you're of the opinion the entrenched nobility deserves to be shot, or you need a reason why they deserve to be shot.

I like BLM's story alot for its supporting cast but not so much for the story being told. This peaks pretty well in stormblood but saying anything more would ruin it. :ssh:

SMN feels tied to the overarching Ascian and Summoning problem, so its alright for connective tissue to the narrative.

RDM is a fedora-good time. M'lady. :barf:

No strong feelings on WAR, the healers, or BRD. They're all fine, some are less fine then others.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
As I said, complete speculation, but something that I thought would be neat. They very well many not, but designing things that way would still be less work than doing three other classes beyond the BLU solo class. It would cut out the need to design a whole extra set of animations / gear / class quests. Balance might be hard at first, but balance tends to be wacky for the first few patch cycles after an expansion anyways, and that's just tinkering with numbers - it doesn't require art assets, animations, writers and all of the other labor that really brings a class to life in FFXIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Nessus posted:

They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Still funny 6 years later. I can only hope that Shadowbringer has a surprise invasion from the west halfway through.

The real betrayal is of course that Dancer is rumored to be a healer, and not a tank as is clearly right and good.