Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Skjorte posted:

At first I was just relieved that they'd moved on from the sound they tried out on Graveward, but now I find I like it more than anything they've done since Imaginary Sonicscape. Might be my favorite metal release of the year after just a couple of listens.

Entirely same, it's got the cool synthy vibe of Sonicscape but I like they kept a bit of the aggression from Graveward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've actually listened to new stuff this year, so I can make a list of cool albums.

Master - Vindictive Miscreant
Archaeobeast - Manifesting the Antichrist
Sector - Odyssey Of Violence
Discord - Crustfucker
Hekata - Dirge
Dödsrit - Spirit Crusher
Atrament - Scum Sect

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure is shaping up to be pretty good, too. "Detestation Rite" popped up on my Spotify release radar playlist and I've been playing it pretty regularly.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

il_cornuto posted:

In Memories Delusional is a bit uneven with some sections that I didn't really like, but everything else is amazing.
Huh, that's probably my favorite song on the record.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I've really been lacking on metal over the past couple of years, but seeing someone mention a new Archgoat record made me seek it out, and god is that thing a beast. One of the tracks really gave me a "Hell Awaits" vibe.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

It's Saturday night, you know what that means - time to post your favorite Star Trek: Deep Space Nine-themed metal songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk2rgTAbkWw

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The new Master album is a lot of fun

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Somebody commented that Mallika Sundaramurthy sounds like Corpsegrinder, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBf1kM0wBfg

She loving windmills like him too. :black101:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I posted this in the vinyl thread too but it seems more appropriate here. I just re-sleeved and re-alphabetized my little collection of records that is almost all black and death metal and while doing that I snapped pics. Maybe you'll see something you want to check out :shrug:
https://imgur.com/a/0XkYME6

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nazzadan posted:

I posted this in the vinyl thread too but it seems more appropriate here. I just re-sleeved and re-alphabetized my little collection of records that is almost all black and death metal and while doing that I snapped pics. Maybe you'll see something you want to check out :shrug:

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! :D

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nazzadan posted:

I really want your blue Nightside Eclipse vinyl

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There’s an official visual album for Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper. It’s perfect.

https://youtu.be/pzB-cuxBqdk

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Fenrir posted:

I really want your blue Nightside Eclipse vinyl

I have good news
https://www.20buckspin.com/collections/vinyl/products/emperor-in-the-nightside-eclipse-lp

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, thanks for this.

My wallet is shivering in terror as I browse this site. New Deadbird and Summoning... gently caress, they even have Virus West.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

No problem, they just announced that repress. It's not transparent blue though, it's solid as far as I know. Not that mine is very transparent, just slightly. I think they are repressing Welkin as well on green, mine is on a weird purple Back on Black put out.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just posting to say that Hate Eternal ruled last night and CC are showing their age. :smith:

I also saw a Nazi, so that was exciting.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nazzadan posted:

I love it!!!

I got Quiet Riot’s Metal Health for Christmas the year it came out, I was so happy about it. poo poo, if I hadn’t been addicted to arcade games I could have amassed quite a collection.

Also have a photo of myself holding a bag of change that I used to buy Def Leppard Pyromania, that was a serious sacrifice of quarters at the time.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Pantera was my first true favorite metal band and they are loving great. I 100% get them not being your thing, but people who say they are terrible just come off as a fart huffing snobs.

Power Metal is their only good album. I dont care if you think I huff farts

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Duke Pukem posted:

Power Metal is their only good album. I dont care if you think I huff farts

Thank you Duke Pukem.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

In my limited experience pantera just served to get assholes who normally wouldn’t have liked metal to consider themselves metalheads. Not a blue collar/white trash thing, just a magnet for douchebags regardless of income.

Plus I don’t like their music but whatever

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vulgar Display of Power is a good album, fight me

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pantera to me are "Tough Guy" metal. As in the dude who thinks he's tough because he listens to Pantera.

I find that sort of chest-beating metal to be a tad eye-rolling so I tend to dislike it. But Mouth For War is a bitchin' riff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

H13 posted:

Pantera to me are "Tough Guy" metal. As in the dude who thinks he's tough because he listens to Pantera.

I find that sort of chest-beating metal to be a tad eye-rolling so I tend to dislike it. But Mouth For War is a bitchin' riff.

This is basically how I’ve always felt about them but I’ve been getting into beatdown hardcore lately so it’s somewhat hypocritical.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harms Way is the best tough guy metal and I’ve yet to find any band that scratches the itch better than them

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Harms Way is the best tough guy metal and I’ve yet to find any band that scratches the itch better than them

That’s because Harms Way is the only band whose frontman is swole enough to sell the music

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

H13 posted:

It’s this, tough guy metal is the worst.

It also sucked when NYHC got thuggish and started talking about things like honor and respect in the idiotic way that mobsters do. Ruined the whole scene.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

On first listen, the new Sigh album is fantastic. I do think the first track, while made up of great parts, drags on a couple of minutes too long, and In Memories Delusional is a bit uneven with some sections that I didn't really like, but everything else is amazing.

Oh wow this is really good. The band is drat near 30 years in and still coming up with ways to push things forward without sounding kitschy. This might be the best album of this SIGH cycle (though I like Scenes From Hell a lot in spite of its atrocious production).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i'll take tough guy over edgy most times, and that's my issue with a lot of death metal. i listen to it , i've got my incantation and cannibal corpse and poo poo in my collection but i can only take so many songs about murder death kill

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I don't listen to a ton of beatdown tough guy hxc, but one of my favorite bands of all time is one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4k8hbwHgQ4

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i'll take tough guy over edgy most times, and that's my issue with a lot of death metal. i listen to it , i've got my incantation and cannibal corpse and poo poo in my collection but i can only take so many songs about murder death kill

I like death metal but sometimes it's like come on guys enough with the death already you know?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lighten up!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Just listen to Slugdge.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

how's talking about death edgy, it's a real thing that happens to everyone

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

A human heart posted:

how's talking about death edgy, it's a real thing that happens to everyone

Well to be fair I get tired of all album covers of tech and brutal death metal bands just being some generic and ominous destruction at the hands of some hellmouth creatures coming from space or underground. They can shut the gently caress up about death.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Cool opinions about brutal death metal like if the whole drat genre wasn't comical. Just enjoy things my man

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
who pays attention to metal lyrics they're all dumb as hell

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Mirai really got his money's worth out of that flute on the new Sigh album.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

One of the best things about metal is not having to understand the lyrics because lyrics in general kind of suck.

That’s why I never understood when people hear metal and go I can’t understand a word they’re saying like that’s a problem.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Edgy lyrics are better than tough guy lyrics, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

who pays attention to metal lyrics they're all dumb as hell

I liked Dave Mustaine's lyrics. AT Tout Le Monde is something I listen to regularly even though I don't listen to much metal these days.