Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

MetaJew posted:

The best thing about my 240sx was that the Nissan FSM was fantastic and the community and documentation on any problems or fixes were very thorough. In contrast, the Mazdaspeed3 community is trash and the Mazdaspeed Forums are awful.

Had MazdaSpeed3, am trash. Can Confirm.

The Charger community is half redneck and half black guys, so I guess that's better? I can't really stand the rednecks though.

Edit: And a small smattering of fat techies who loved RP1.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can slo confirm entire MS community being trash.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Many of my favorite cars over the years have been stuff with dipshit scenes surrounding them and it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the cars one bit. Drive what you like, prove the stereotypes wrong.

I thought about keeping it after Harvey flooded it out, but it would have been so much work (and money). =(

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Echoing the MS3 community being trash.

Oh well, I still like mine :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

hattersmad posted:

Echoing the MS3 community being trash.

Oh well, I still like mine :)

Same.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Many of my favorite cars over the years have been stuff with dipshit scenes surrounding them and it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the cars one bit. Drive what you like, prove the stereotypes wrong.

they're getting rarer so even seeing one that appears to be running smooth enough to daily is enough to get me psyched

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Thief posted:

they're getting rarer so even seeing one that appears to be running smooth enough to daily is enough to get me psyched

I just made a deal with a guy on a new project car and when I went to meet up with him he was driving a 240sx that was completely stock and rust-free. I couldn’t have been more surprised if he was riding an elephant.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I guess it depends on your definition of awesome, but I just saw the following:

Dodge RAM truck with the following license plate: "BUYAF150"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We can see how Binky's flexishaft thing was built in exquisite detail now
https://youtu.be/0tzWC2G3mr0

It makes me feel better to see that even professionals who produce unparalleled work still do things that are sketchy as

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My question for all the Binky videos are "What's going to break first?" and "What's going to break so bad that they end up throwing back in the field they found it in?"

Also what were the sparks at about 10:40 on the video. With the Abom shout-out, I assume something bad?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jonny Nox posted:

My question for all the Binky videos are "What's going to break first?" and "What's going to break so bad that they end up throwing back in the field they found it in?"

Also what were the sparks at about 10:40 on the video. With the Abom shout-out, I assume something bad?

If that shaft arrangement broke more than once after all the time and money put into just making sure the car had A/C, and how difficult it will be to service, I'd probably push the thing off the side of a quarry and deny that it ever existed

I'm not a machinist, but sparks/blueing/fire on a lathe means that you've hosed something up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I'm not a machinist, but sparks/blueing/fire on a lathe means that you've hosed something up

Fire's no good.

Blueing (of the swarf, at least) is totally normal.

Sparks may happen depending on the tooling and material and it's not always bad. Here is what happens when you machine inconel with a ceramic tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1K5QjR3hyU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/GlrIz8m.gifv

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:vince:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Finally, a reason to have those winged wiper arms.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol i just noticed the wipers

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Behold: the new technical

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
You could charge the battery with the recoil from that thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Save the effort and just point it the other way and use it for very expensive propulsion.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

Save the effort and just point it the other way and use it for very expensive propulsion.

"Keep tailgating, I'm reloading"

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Echotic posted:

Looks to be Te Atatu, West Auckland.

Indeed.

So a few weeks back the local McLaren dealership had an open day, displaying the first Senna in the country.

Parked in front of this.

It's certainly not pretty, but it sure is awesome.

This colour is fantastic in real life.

Big Daddy still draws the crowds too.

Then there was this old jalopy leaking oil on the floor, which claimed to have won the odd race.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just love the P1 to death. It's just the perfect looking supercar.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jonny Nox posted:

Hit something waaaaaay harder than a high speed tool is able to handle.

Nik is a god drat chatter enthusiast... Tho I wonder how much of that was down to the lathe and how much was to his apparent allergy to cutting oils?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just watched that video and god drat, dude needs to learn how to properly grind a tool. The finish he's getting look like my first attempts in high school metal shop.

The first tool he uses to turn down the shaft I don't think is ground at all. It's just the end of the tooling blank :psyduck:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

shy boy from chess club posted:

AKA The GTA method.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I just watched that video and god drat, dude needs to learn how to properly grind a tool. The finish he's getting look like my first attempts in high school metal shop.

The first tool he uses to turn down the shaft I don't think is ground at all. It's just the end of the tooling blank :psyduck:

I'm not a machinist, but I watch a lot of Keith Fenner and Abom79 videos because I'd really love to be able to do that stuff.

I cringed at the lathing sequence. It was really obvious "this is not how it's supposed to be done."

Maybe it was deliberate as a gag. Surely they know better.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The wipers are just the car flipping off it's target. "gently caress youuuu!"

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not a machinist, but I watch a lot of Keith Fenner and Abom79 videos because I'd really love to be able to do that stuff.

I cringed at the lathing sequence. It was really obvious "this is not how it's supposed to be done."

Maybe it was deliberate as a gag. Surely they know better.

I don't remember offhand, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them make good-looking parts before. Maybe this was just at the end of a long project where they had some other issues and just wanted to be done rather than grind the appropriate shape into the HSS blank. Especially since it was just a supporting part for a nonessential system of the car that they'd likely never look at again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: nm, i thought i saw another egregious machining error but it's just a super loving weird setup that technically works but doesn't make any sense. I don't know how these guys are able to do all the mechanical stuff they do without picking up basic lathe concepts

the youtube comments keep talking about how "lol that poor tiny lathe can barely do it!!! lol" when it's like jesus, guys, that lathe is perfectly fine for the work you're doing as long as you take reasonable cuts and grind your tools into a shape that cuts properly. argh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 19, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Twistershift posted:

I loved my 240, but the dipshit culture that goes with it is pretty much why I got rid of it.

I refuse to become attached to my AE86 for similar reasons. Conversely, it's also why I had no issue taking it in trade for my '90 RX-7. I know I can sell it easily.

Jonny Nox posted:

They apparently hit a hardened spot in the pulley.

Sagebrush posted:

e: nm, i thought i saw another egregious machining error but it's just a super loving weird setup that technically works but doesn't make any sense. I don't know how these guys are able to do all the mechanical stuff they do without picking up basic lathe concepts

the youtube comments keep talking about how "lol that poor tiny lathe can barely do it!!! lol" when it's like jesus, guys, that lathe is perfectly fine for the work you're doing as long as you take reasonable cuts and grind your tools into a shape that cuts properly. argh

These are things to keep in mind when I get my lathe up and running. A lovely old South Ben 9" manual.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://i.imgur.com/syLmrAb.gif

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I think the flip turn will be a big hit in NASCAR

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Doesn't matter what you drive, it can be awesome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Never lift.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fifty Three posted:

The wipers are just the car flipping off it's target. "gently caress youuuu!"

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Bajaha posted:

Doesn't matter what you drive, it can be awesome.

It rules that there are separate brake pedals for the left and right. I do the same thing with mine in the snow. I'll get video next time.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's just a Manual Foot Differential.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

almost tipped over the old pennsylvania panzer dozens of times doing exactly that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Someone post a photo of the pedal box. TIA