Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite swear word?
View Results

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This is quickly becoming my favourite vehicle simply because it doesn't take 4 hours to get anywhere and you can relocate when 8 assaults come gunning for your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Duggler posted:

This is quickly becoming my favourite vehicle simply because it doesn't take 4 hours to get anywhere and you can relocate when 8 assaults come gunning for your rear end

I hear people saying the 20mm AP is pretty good, but I'm too busy deleting Tigers and Panzers from the map with Tulip Rockets to really listen.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

It does, but its rarer because spotting requires specific gadgets.

I am bad at shooting things so all I ever do is find a nice area on a flank to set up my respawn beacon and just use the spotting scope to light up the enemy team. I feel like I'm much more useful that way than just running in and dying over and over. Sometimes I spot a camping sniper that way and I'll shoot him (the ones that stand still for some silly reason) and then I go back to just spotting everyone. Spotting simulator 2018 is a good game!

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Spotting is fun, but I do miss my MAV :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Eastbound Spider posted:

Spotting is fun, but I do miss my MAV :(

:respek:

Its something that makes me unhappy with going back to earlier wars, I liked nifty gadgets and poo poo. Also how I could play recon and use good weapons instead of bolt actions.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

ChickenWing posted:

I'm aggressively fine with this. A tank should be powerful, but on its own should also be very vulnerable to a squad that can engage it effectively. I know whenever I've been in a tank I've felt very powerful up until I lose my infantry support, at which point any old assault can come up and stick dynamite on my rear end.

Yeah, it's solid design and the way things should be.

We were chewing up lone tanks around the D point on twisted steel last night. They'd realize they were surrounded and panicsmoke as they died. Flip side I will babysit goontanks as support and sit on their rear end, killing assaults as they try from the sides.

I like the power of the grenade pistol and the panzer/piats vs armor. I do think they should be nerfed on cover destruction. Being able to just spam launchers at a hardpoint before an assault seems really cheap.

Leal posted:

Also how I could play recon and use good weapons instead of bolt actions.

While the medic smgs bother me, what they did with the bolt actions now compared to BF1 is what's really disappointing. Making the irons bad. Making scope zeroing and bayonets into unlocks. That 2x abomination.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 21, 2018

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I like the lighter tanks/armored car simply because I can't stand how slow the heavier ones are.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Klisejo posted:

I like the power of the grenade pistol and the panzer/piats vs armor. I do think they should be nerfed on cover destruction. Being able to just spam launchers at a hardpoint before an assault seems really cheap.

Counterpoint, launching a rocket at sandbags and merk'ing the dude behind it owns real hard.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

For some reason I only have the spotting scope as a gadget for allies for my 3 slot but both the scope and flare gun for axis. Kind of annoying

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

DrPop posted:

I like the lighter tanks/armored car simply because I can't stand how slow the heavier ones are.

Agreed. In current state, tanks die so easily that I feel no more protected in a Tiger than I do in a Pz.38. I'd rather be in a light tank that can flank around points, maneuver to safety, or quickly retreat to repair/rearm.

Tank cannons kinda suck and the coax guns get 80% of my kills anyway so I spec into 20mm cannons to double down on anti-infantry abilities. The spotting specialization is also great. I don't need any AT capability because infantry handle that so well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Azuren posted:

Does support's machine gunner combat role effects apply to all weapons (i.e. shotguns) or just the, uh, machine guns?

Yes it does but it's not gonna come up with anything besides a near-miss of a slug or you wiffing your buckshot at point blank range.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

I'm aggressively fine with this. A tank should be powerful, but on its own should also be very vulnerable to a squad that can engage it effectively. I know whenever I've been in a tank I've felt very powerful up until I lose my infantry support, at which point any old assault can come up and stick dynamite on my rear end.

It doesn't take an organized squad to gently caress a tank up, though. Every Assault has 2-3 Panzerfausts, which are super accurate from hipfire, plus dynamite or rifle grenades. Even without squad support, and even with infantry support for the tank, it's pretty trivial for a solo assault to do critical damage to a tank it gets remotely close to the fight. I don't want tanks to be overpowered, but they're also not really acting like the force multipliers they are supposed to be. When you factor in how slow most of the tanks are and how open many of the maps are, armor is pretty much suicide unless you play extremely conservatively and sit back at long range and snipe.

To put it in perspective, Panzerfausts, which every assault gets 2 of by default (3 if they hit an ammo station), do more damage to tanks than rounds from the actual tanks do.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I always over or undershoot my panzerfausts. How to do better?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Fart Car '97 posted:

It doesn't take an organized squad to gently caress a tank up, though. Every Assault has 2-3 Panzerfausts, which are super accurate from hipfire, plus dynamite or rifle grenades. Even without squad support, and even with infantry support for the tank, it's pretty trivial for a solo assault to do critical damage to a tank it gets remotely close to the fight. I don't want tanks to be overpowered, but they're also not really acting like the force multipliers they are supposed to be. When you factor in how slow most of the tanks are and how open many of the maps are, armor is pretty much suicide unless you play extremely conservatively and sit back at long range and snipe.

To put it in perspective, Panzerfausts, which every assault gets 2 of by default (3 if they hit an ammo station), do more damage to tanks than rounds from the actual tanks do.

Yeah it's a bit overdone at this point, 2-3 Panzerfausts is way too much. Not only is it overkill for taking down a tank dmg-wise, but the abundance of them makes it easy to fire off a low percentage shot without feeling bad so you end up with rocket spam as soon as a tank approaches the front line.

I think it should be reduced to 1 panzerfaust per spawn, perhaps with the ability to hold two if you visit an ammo station but I'm undecided about that. Long range accuracy should also be reduced. If you only had 1 then you would place your shot much more carefully, and it would require some level of coordination to take out a tank. It's trivial to solo a tank as infantry right now and I think it's wrong that tanks are the fearful ones when entering a 1v1 engagement.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
gently caress. i need to kill more tanks before the faust nerf. i had a good run, fausty :(

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Teeter posted:

Yeah it's a bit overdone at this point, 2-3 Panzerfausts is way too much. Not only is it overkill for taking down a tank dmg-wise, but the abundance of them makes it easy to fire off a low percentage shot without feeling bad so you end up with rocket spam as soon as a tank approaches the front line.

I think it should be reduced to 1 panzerfaust per spawn, perhaps with the ability to hold two if you visit an ammo station but I'm undecided about that. Long range accuracy should also be reduced. If you only had 1 then you would place your shot much more carefully, and it would require some level of coordination to take out a tank. It's trivial to solo a tank as infantry right now and I think it's wrong that tanks are the fearful ones when entering a 1v1 engagement.

I think one per assault is fine, I don't think they should be able to carry two, but assaults should be rewarded with serious damage on side shots/rear shots on the tanks. Front shots should do very little; Tank's main frontal threat should be other tanks/stationary guns/Pakwagons

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Deviant posted:

I always over or undershoot my panzerfausts. How to do better?

You gotta calculate for windage.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Handheld AT in battlefield games has been such a shitshow forever I don't expect them to ever find a good balance

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I can never seem to aim my PFs properly either. Am I aiming for his butt, or the turret?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Duggler posted:

Handheld AT in battlefield games has been such a shitshow forever I don't expect them to ever find a good balance

I like throwing at mines in places where a tank would go if its driver thought he was being sneaky and flanky.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

FAUXTON posted:

I like throwing at mines in places where a tank would go if its driver thought he was being sneaky and flanky.

Mines also go by repair locations and medic stands.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The tank balance is just off, it’s too easy from tanks to be damaged from just one infantry man.

I think giving each Assault only one Panzerfaust would be a good start but increasing the amount of angle required for a penetrating hit would be a welcome change.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah, as it is Tanks aren't particularly good at the moment so they should be more durable. Infantry is more effective against tanks than other tanks

I don't know how a fully leveled up tank is, though.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

You gotta calculate for windage.

two clicks for wind

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Man whatever happens I hope it doesn't diminish the AP power all of my assault's AT tools have. I have so many squad wipes earned with TNT and PFs :getin:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Am I being blind or is there no way to manually switch teams? The complete lack of auto balance makes that feature kinda urgent..

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Am I being blind or is there no way to manually switch teams? The complete lack of auto balance makes that feature kinda urgent..

once a kraut always a kraut

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Afaik you can only switch if you have friends on the other side

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

dropping smoke and spamming squad orders in breakthrough and watching your pubbie team slowly come together to take a point is :gerty: as heck

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

The Duggler posted:

Afaik you can only switch if you have friends on the other side

This is correct.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fuligin posted:

dropping smoke and spamming squad orders in breakthrough and watching your pubbie team slowly come together to take a point is :gerty: as heck

I keep an eye on the game feedback because DICE will listen to good ideas, and there is a group of people that complain that "my squads suck, give me more abilities to go lone wolf." Usually, this gets parroted by people who think they rule at the game but the mechanics/teammates hold them back. Surprisingly, though, they're getting dogpiled by people who are like "no, it actually owns that you're genuinely forced to be part of a team."

I have even noticed that Tubers/Streamers can't go on their solo murderfests and actually have more deaths than usual when they try to.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I sure do enjoy getting joined into a Conquest map on the losing side who's down 125 - 350. Sure feels great.

At least in that scenario I don't feel any personal responsibility.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

This is correct.

How so? Last night the game constantly put me on the other side (despite the team my friends were on not having full slots), I never saw the 2 flags on the upper left to let me swap so I had to leave the server then queue back in and wait until the map ended.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Leal posted:

How so? Last night the game constantly put me on the other side (despite the team my friends were on not having full slots), I never saw the 2 flags on the upper left to let me swap so I had to leave the server then queue back in and wait until the map ended.

Its convoluted, but simple. Dice are a people of contrasts.

You need to join on a friend who has an open slot in their squad. If you join on the friend without joining their squad, the game just puts you in as soon as possible, without trying to place you on your friend's team. So if you're stuck on the enemy team, and the other team isnt full, you can ask your friend to open a slot in their squad or create a new one. After they do that, you hit escape, go to the bottom right in game friend's list, and join from there. It will swap you over.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Man whatever happens I hope it doesn't diminish the AP power all of my assault's AT tools have. I have so many squad wipes earned with TNT and PFs :getin:

tnt is real fuckin good but i'd kill for a perk that let you throw it further. i keep trying to throw it over walls and catch just the top edge

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yes, in the Euro goonstacks we frequently split out of our squads to get everyone to join the same side.
It's complicated but it works.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
also thx to whoever recommended using piat as a morter from the minimap. dropping piats on top of tanks from behind cover is great fun :discourse:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

MadBimber posted:

tnt is real fuckin good but i'd kill for a perk that let you throw it further. i keep trying to throw it over walls and catch just the top edge

TNT takes on your momentum so be sure to get a running start and jump for some serious hail mary tosses

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MadBimber posted:

also thx to whoever recommended using piat as a morter from the minimap. dropping piats on top of tanks from behind cover is great fun :discourse:

The whole Piat Minimap Icon is incredible and I don’t know if this is true but seems to have generous splash damage. When I’m taking a point I’ll often take a pot shot at at area where people frequent and often get a instakill.

I’m afraid they’ll probably have to tone it down once more folks figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s crazy to say but I’m pretty sure conquest is the worst game mode now