Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

I am very out of the loop when it comes to video game news, if I buy a PS4 and the PSVR how much regret am I going to feel in a few days? Do I need to get a Pro, or does the standard PS4 do a decent job, and is there any pipeline for future good games?

Astrobot looks cool and I'm very interested in Firewall, I would also buy Thumper and resident evil. Anything else I need?

Welcome!

If you're just looking to do VR, not many games will get a boost from the Pro, but there are some that do. I think Astrobot is actually one of these but I'm not sure what the exact benefits are. It'll work very well even on a regular Slim which will save you quite a bit.

You'll want the Move controllers in all likelihood so get a PSVR bundle with those. Superhot VR is a great time. Maybe Skyrim VR (might come with the PSVR bundle depending on which one you get), you'll just want to avoid melee classes (but bow and spells are great).

Unless I'm getting my games confused, Firewall is available in a bundle with an Aim controller so get it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Get a pro finances permitting and enjoy it. You won't regret it, PSVR isn't perfect but it's fun as hell and the PS4 exclusive library is amazing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I can't imagine playing Skyrim in VR. I loved getting to play Astrobot last night but after playing for a little over an hour I was already starting to feel a lot of eye strain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only games that give me eye strain are Skyrim and Resi7 and that’s because I turn the smooth movement on because the whole eight-way turning they have on by default kills my immersion. So yeah I guess I don’t recommend it for you

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Escobarbarian posted:

The only games that give me eye strain are Skyrim and Resi7 and that’s because I turn the smooth movement on because the whole eight-way turning they have on by default kills my immersion. So yeah I guess I don’t recommend it for you

These are the only 2 VR games that I guess gave me motion sickness. I remember playing and enjoying them, but progressivly getting hotter in my face, to the point where the lens would start fogging up and I'd be sweating pretty bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sometimes Astrobot is way up high and when I stand up a bit to see that little scamp better I accidentally launch my cat across the room.

Sorry, kitty.

PS: If you don't join in the astrobot dance party at the end of every level you're a monster.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Harlock posted:

The only bad thing about Second Son is that we haven't had a sequel yet

This. I want to know more about Delsin’s misadventures with Fetch and Eugene! Ghosts of Tsushima is an awesome looking consolation prize, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess there is one Yakuza protagonist that Yagami is like: Tanimura. He's not just an outlaw like Saejima or someone, he's on both sides of the law all the time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been lucky not to have any motion sickness yet but have not had the chance to start Resident Evil VII or Skyrim because Kamarocho/Sotenbori needs saving!!

Also, hello Crafty, please enjoy your PS4/PSVR setup it is wonderful :D

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I was mostly ok with VR Skyrim with the exception of walking up stairs in the game. I remember that feeling very odd and I’d close my eyes when I had to do it. I could barely tolerate RE7 for more than a few minutes, though. It seemed like such a cool experience but I barely got past the first area before deciding not to bother trying anymore.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I was mostly ok with VR Skyrim with the exception of walking up stairs in the game. I remember that feeling very odd and I’d close my eyes when I had to do it. I could barely tolerate RE7 for more than a few minutes, though. It seemed like such a cool experience but I barely got past the first area before deciding not to bother trying anymore.

Just because you thought it would be too intense or it made you feel sick or what?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Just because you thought it would be too intense or it made you feel sick or what?

It would make me nauseous very quickly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

J-Spot posted:

It would make me nauseous very quickly.

Any idea what it is about RE7 specifically versus Skyrim that does that to you? I find the reactions people have to VR very interesting.

Speaking of RE7, Walmart has it for $15 right now. Probably not an all time low or anything, but it might interest some of the new headset owners.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

When's Demon's going to get a PS4 port? Now that Dark 1 has one it's the last hold-out.

I would love a DeS remaster but I'm wondering if there's some publishing rights stuff that would hold it back, Sony only published it in Japan, Atlus published in NA and Bamco in PAL. So maybe they would have to get everyone to sign off on it even though Sony owns the IP? With Dark Souls it was probably easier since From published it themselves in Japan and Bamco the rest of the world. I could be pulling this out of my rear end though

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Holy poo poo I am so hype for Judge Eyes. They confirmed a US release but hopefully they have an actual date soon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had to stop playing Tetris Effect because all the particle effects made my cats try to destroy the tv

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Holy poo poo I am so hype for Judge Eyes. They confirmed a US release but hopefully they have an actual date soon.

Same here. I am somewhat worried for Shin Yakuza now though, because I haven't heard a peep about it or seen any gameplay at all.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

haveblue posted:

There definitely is, and I learned this when the first Watchdogs turned Chicago's giant silver blob into a giant glowing blob.

The blob is copyrighted artwork. You can't copyright entire buildings, though

The most famous exception to this is the copyright granted to the lighting of the Eiffel Tower. It's only public domain in the daytime.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

The most famous exception to this is the copyright granted to the lighting of the Eiffel Tower. It's only public domain in the daytime.

That's insane lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Periodic reminder that there is a dedicated PSVR thread.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Any idea what it is about RE7 specifically versus Skyrim that does that to you? I find the reactions people have to VR very interesting.
That's a good question. I think part of it is that Skyrim is one of my favorite games and I was already very familiar with it from countless play throughs. I didn't have to spend time learning the controls or stumbling around lost so the VR aspect was the only thing I had to acclimate to. That familiarity also made it easy to set a goal for what I wanted to accomplish in a play session knowing roughly how long it would take, and then I'd have a natural place to take a break. Honestly I probably should have tried going back to RE7 once I was done with Skyrim since I had gotten to the point where I could handle longer play sessions.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

univbee posted:

Unless I'm getting my games confused, Firewall is available in a bundle with an Aim controller so get it that way.

Hello univbee. Thanks for that info, I can't really see any great deals on at the moment (UK). Which games do you need the move controllers for ? I'm gonna have a good look tonight and might make a rash decision then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

Periodic reminder that there is a dedicated PSVR thread.

A whole bunch of people probably just got a PSVR headset out of the Black Friday sales, so some bleedover's to be expected like with any major new title.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

J-Spot posted:

That's a good question. I think part of it is that Skyrim is one of my favorite games and I was already very familiar with it from countless play throughs. I didn't have to spend time learning the controls or stumbling around lost so the VR aspect was the only thing I had to acclimate to. That familiarity also made it easy to set a goal for what I wanted to accomplish in a play session knowing roughly how long it would take, and then I'd have a natural place to take a break. Honestly I probably should have tried going back to RE7 once I was done with Skyrim since I had gotten to the point where I could handle longer play sessions.

I like RE7 overall but it can be very odd to control even when not in VR because of how rigid the game world is vs. how detailed and complex it looks. It's a lot like some 3D games from the very early to mid-00s where there's like an invisible guardrail a few inches away from every surface, like the Condemned games come to mind or (shudder) Requiem: Avenging Angel. So it would make sense that there's more of an acclimation curve to it or something.

RareAcumen posted:

Same here. I am somewhat worried for Shin Yakuza now though, because I haven't heard a peep about it or seen any gameplay at all.

Now that we're going on three different games in the new engine with Judge Eyes, I'm hoping the lack of word is because there's a straight up totally new location they're working on like Onimichi in 6.

At the same time, it's been pretty common for the these guys (Judge Eyes and even Binary Domain was the same way) for there to be launch trailer/info and then basically nothing until a few months before the game actually comes out when we get a couple of demos - Judge Eyes is out in like a week and a half in Japan.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 26, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

my best advice for new PSVR owners is to download all the demo's before buying a game

the demos will be a great experience with different approaches to the technology

VR is a interesting experience, and the demos cost nothing (except download time)

some people will, perhaps, get satiated of VR just with the demos, saving some money

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

Hello univbee. Thanks for that info, I can't really see any great deals on at the moment (UK). Which games do you need the move controllers for ? I'm gonna have a good look tonight and might make a rash decision then.

They're required for Superhot VR and a few other titles. Many games support them, and while they don't always outright require them, almost invariably you really want to play with those controllers for games where that's an option. Like Skyrim VR you might still be able to play with a regular controller, but with the Move controllers you can do hand gestures for spells and realistically fire a bow, stuff like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Now that we're going on three different games in the new engine with Judge Eyes, I'm hoping the lack of word is because there's a straight up totally new location they're working on like Onimichi in 6.

At the same time, it's been pretty common for these guys (Judge Eyes and even Binary Domain was the same way) for there to be launch trailer/info and then basically nothing until a few months before the game actually comes out when we get a couple of demos - Judge Eyes is out in like a week and a half in Japan.

I'm a fairweather new fan who has no idea how any game company operates as far as distribution goes so I had no idea what was happening. I was thinking that the game was already out in Japan, for example.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Whoops, yeah. Ludwig. The horse dude. In a game full of body horror that's the first design that made me feel genuinely sick. It's a fantastic design. The weird mouth thing full of eyes?! :cry:

this might be kind of a bummer to hear but ludwig was the first boss i felt like there wasnt any "trick" to and you just had to learn the move set and do the fight a million times. i actually got it a little faster than i thought i would, maybe a half hour? that fight was crazy. well if you're arcane there's a weirdo trick i guess but most people arent arcane enough for it and its not worth it just for this one fight.

theres a weirdo dying skeleton thing on the fence outside of the ludwig fight that has something like 5 or 10 blood vials which is something i didnt know when i was beating my head against the fight, and is useful if you run out of vials while working on it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah ludwig I never felt like I got better against, I just eventually won somehow. The one thing I half remember is to just sprint around when he jumps on the ceiling because it's impossible to roll away from that attack but this is all half remembered

I found his second phase a lot easier than his first, oddly enough , but it was probably just luck

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I remember being really smug when I figured out you could jump over the flame aoe he sends out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

Like Skyrim VR you might still be able to play with a regular controller, but with the Move controllers you can do hand gestures for spells and realistically fire a bow, stuff like that.

I would play Skyrim with the move controllers but I assume it has that teleport movement poo poo and I'm not into that at all

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

I would play Skyrim with the move controllers but I assume it has that teleport movement poo poo and I'm not into that at all

You can play it with moves so you lean one controller to free walk instead of using teleport. Sounds weird but it works and people enjoy it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can use smooth movement with Moves in Skyrim but it's awkward to move and fight at the same time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also helps give you a sense what what "clicks" for you and what's barf city without having to set an even bigger pile of money on fire.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

You can choose the movement style in Skyrim VR with Move controllers, actually. The "teleporting" also saps stamina based on how far you're going to simulate exhaustion from "running".

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RareAcumen posted:

I AM FULLY ON BOARD WITH THE DRAGON ENGINE NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEAkyoD7zs

ready for my new tactical bro action

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Skyrim combat felt basically impossible with Moves but is just perfect with DS and and full movement options.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

rabidsquid posted:

this might be kind of a bummer to hear but ludwig was the first boss i felt like there wasnt any "trick" to and you just had to learn the move set and do the fight a million times. i actually got it a little faster than i thought i would, maybe a half hour? that fight was crazy. well if you're arcane there's a weirdo trick i guess but most people arent arcane enough for it and its not worth it just for this one fight.

theres a weirdo dying skeleton thing on the fence outside of the ludwig fight that has something like 5 or 10 blood vials which is something i didnt know when i was beating my head against the fight, and is useful if you run out of vials while working on it.

What's the weird arcane trick? I'm built strength /arcane, so it wouldn't be much more tedious to grind up arcane instead of grinding the boss itself. I have, uh, almost 30 in arcane, I think. Totally worth it for the tiny tonitrus and flamethrower so far.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zonko_T.M. posted:

What's the weird arcane trick? I'm built strength /arcane, so it wouldn't be much more tedious to grind up arcane instead of grinding the boss itself. I have, uh, almost 30 in arcane, I think. Totally worth it for the tiny tonitrus and flamethrower so far.

you summon valtr who already has four or five heals base line and then you use the choir bell to heal him up as he tanks for you. i dont remember if its 30 or 40 arcane you need to keep him alive for the entire fight with just the bell, but if 30 isnt enough the healing should still be good enough to have him tank 90% of the fight for you

you can summon both valtr and one of the madaras twins for what its worth, although the madaras twin isnt extremely helpful. but if you're gonna use valtr to tank and heal him you might as well get them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Idk guys Darksiders 3 has a 64 on metacritic and looks like a common ps2 game in all the right ways...thinking about it