Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Anyhow, I got around to straightening the rack just now, doing it cold worked fine. Didn't even need repainting, although there's a few faintly visible stress lines nothing flaked off and it seems like it'll hold up alright. Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renaissance Robot posted:

Now you mention it I think I recall somebody did try to design a kitbike made entirely of stamped/laser cut metal plates.

The aesthetic was all circles, it looked like poo poo.

its never as bad as ShervinRRR, the 3rd R being for retarded
https://blog.motorcycle.com/2010/05/27/motorcycle-news/zx-10r-owner-modifies-his-bike-making-his-own-exhaust-and-cutting-holes-in-the-frame/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ha! Found it:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

If they'd made the circle the same size as the wheels it would have at least been ugly in an interesting way, that just reeks of "yeah whatever that fits together publish it".

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
How important is it to always use fresh brake fluid? The reservoir on my front brake is a little bit low, but the actual fluid is still fresh. (think the level dropped because the pad is worn)

Do I have to top off the tiny bit of brake fluid and then throw the rest of the entire 8 oz bottle away since they say in big letters "ALWAYS USE BRAKE FLUID FROM A SEALED CONTAINER"?

Also, separate question: are there aftermarket slip-ons that make bikes quieter? I know that's probably not a very requested item, but I just want a quiet motorcycle because I have day-night reversal and I don't want to wake up my grumpy neighbors when I'm ripping wheelies at 3 AM in the morning.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 21, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mirconium posted:

How important is it to always use fresh brake fluid? The reservoir on my front brake is a little bit low, but the actual fluid is still fresh. (think the level dropped because the pad is worn)

Do I have to top off the tiny bit of brake fluid and then throw the rest of the entire 8 oz bottle away since they say in big letters "ALWAYS USE BRAKE FLUID FROM A SEALED CONTAINER"?

No it's fine to refill from an opened bottle later. It does absorb water over time, but it doesn't immediately turn dangerous. Once the cap is back on, it can only absorb the tiny amount of water vapor in the headspace. Tip: Have a hose or a big bottle of water next to you while you work so you can quickly wash away the fluid you inevitably spill.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mirconium posted:

Also, separate question: are there aftermarket slip-ons that make bikes quieter? I know that's probably not a very requested item, but I just want a quiet motorcycle because I have day-night reversal and I don't want to wake up my grumpy neighbors when I'm ripping wheelies at 3 AM in the morning.

Before you open the bottle, write the date on it (after you open the bottle there will be brake fluid everywhere and pens don't write on that). If the date on the bottle you want to use is more than about 6 months, get a new bottle.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

What is this goop on my motorcycle battery? Bought the bike new in July, never looked at the battery till now and I see this goo? Doesn't look like corrosion assuming it's some spray to prevent corrosion?

Could I just throw my battery tender over top of it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh. I've never seen anything like that. I guess it could be some kind of anti-seize grease, yeah? It looks more like gorilla glue tbh. Is it still sticky/squishy or is it hard?

Personally I would scrape it off, because none of my batteries have goo on the terminals and they work just fine.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that's Cum

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've never seen anything like that on a battery terminal. It looks like yesty bread dough, like a bunch of gas bubbles have formed and then burst. Not a great sign. Go for a ride and feel if it's hot, it should not be uncomfortably so.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Huh. I've never seen anything like that. I guess it could be some kind of anti-seize grease, yeah? It looks more like gorilla glue tbh. Is it still sticky/squishy or is it hard?

Personally I would scrape it off, because none of my batteries have goo on the terminals and they work just fine.

It feels like a lubricant, it is greasy and wipes off my hand easy.

Edit: called the dealership and they said it's just anti corrosion spray they use when they assemble the bikes.

Probably should have called them first

Keegers fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 24, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

that's Cum

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah it's anti corrosion spray, I have a can of it somewhere

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Different stuff, but isn't it normal to find dielectric grease slathered on battery terminals/around exposed plugs? It was all over the guts of my zzr.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Most modern batteries and charging systems seem not to need it, I rarely see corrosion on bikes. My older bikes do often have issues with it though, I assume it's something to do with the performance of the charging system? My '56 BMW always had a lot of corrosion even with an electronic regulator on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I always though it was a sealed vs conventional battery thing.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Can anyone tell why the gently caress I lost traction here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qonUq_-LOY&t=26s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It looks like there's leaves and pine needles and poo poo all over the centerline, and the road is damp to boot. That stuff is super slippery and you probably just grazed the edge of it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have always just ridden through winter so it's never been a problem previously but I am now somewhere it's getting cold for winter (and I have a car now). Is a battery charger critical if my bike's going to be laid up for a few months? I am not going to be able to ride it for a while as I have hosed up my leg.

The bike is in an underground garage so not warm but shouldn't freeze, there is a power socket in my space so I would be able to run a charger - though in my lease it does say not to plug anything in, I am assuming that is probably bollocks. If I need one, is an Optimate 3 the right thing to get or is there something else? Does part of the cable just stay attached to the bike? I understand the battery is pretty easy to get at under the seat. It's a 2018 CBR1000RR.

Reminds me I need to get a cover for it as well. Sad times.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You will definitely need a trickle charger if you want to keep that battery, an optimate is fine but really any cheap digital trickle charger will do the job. Usually they have a little harness consisting of two eye terminals that permanently bolt to your battery and a connector that you dangle somewhere inconspicuous on the bike, like under the seat or whatever. The charger just plugs into that.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Finally got my fairings off to change my oil and find the source of my oil leak, turns out it was leaking from where the filter meets the engine. I put a new filter on and changed the oil, but I probably used too much force because I decided to use a wrench to apply the filter this time and managed to slightly crush it (I'll be replacing the filter). Even this tight, it's leaking oil, and may even be worse. While searching the Triumph forums I saw that it's common for the more recent Purolator filters to leak because of a change in design / QC practices. Turns out that's the filter I bought a pack of, so I'll be changing to another brand ASAP. Is it possible to make it leak worse by over-tightening the oil filter? I'm assuming so, but I'm wondering if I should try loosening it to see if leaks a bit less before I get my new filter. It's just a bit of a pain to get the left fairing off to mess with everything.

On a related note, the PO changed out the turn signals and I'm not sure if this is the stock wiring. I should be able to just pull these kinds of connectors apart, right? I'm assuming so, but wasn't able to do it with my bare hands (didn't try too hard though), so I want to make sure that's not some weird kind of crimping mechanism that I'll mess up if I use some pliers to pull them apart.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

It looks like there's leaves and pine needles and poo poo all over the centerline, and the road is damp to boot. That stuff is super slippery and you probably just grazed the edge of it.

I could swear I was far away enough not to touch the centerline pile, but I guess that's what must have happened. The rest of the lane looked really clean, but, yeah, everything was wet. I am used to spirited riding in the wet on michelin road tirest though, and it's usually sweet.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Those look like in-line fuse holders. They should unscrew or somehow open to reveal a glass fuse inside.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

RadioPassive posted:

Those look like in-line fuse holders. They should unscrew or somehow open to reveal a glass fuse inside.

If thats what they are, they might be spring loaded. Try pushing in and rotating, then pulling out. If they're turn signals, I would be surprised they would be running individual fuses on each signal. Those black plastic holders certainly look stock. Most DIYers at home will just run bullet connectors or some other type of crimped connector.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think you're meant to push down on this:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'll try pushing that black thing or rotating them, at least I know pulling harder was probably not the answer.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
or lift that small tab up if it's similar to yamaha stock connectors

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just cause it seems to have slipped through the cracks: never ever ever fit an oil filter with a tool, always spin them on by hand. Fitting it tighter never makes things better, only worse. Lube the seal with some oil, clean the seat spotlessly, spin it on until the oring is touching then give it like another half turn. If you can't take it off by hand the next time you do the oil, you've over tightened it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Don’t they say to use a wrench to 1/4 to 1/2 turn it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never, always by hand.

The fraction turn it varies based on the thread pitch of the fitting, it's a feel thing but using a tool gives far too much mechanical advantage.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I mean you can use a tool but the recommended torque is like 9ft/lb. It's about as tight as you'd get with a big screwdriver on a screw. Pretty sure it's safe to use a tool on it if it's not the K&N style welded/crimped hex on the end.

The old filter may have been leaking because there were two rubber o-rings stuck up in there or something, I've seen that before. If it's leaking, there's something wrong with the filter or the engine or the o-ring. Filters seal tightly without being very tight if everything is ok.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just installed proton lights on my fz-07
http://www.hightechspeed.com/products/Proton500/proton.html
Holeefuk they are bright. I have them doing a double flash pattern and a driver I passed actually winced and shielded his eyes with his hand. Exactly what I wanted, to been seen signalling. I was concerned before buying about people in front seeing my turn signal but its not at all an issue after installation.

I guess my question is why did I think this was the discussion thread?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 27, 2018

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I have Protons on my FZ09, and yes they are bright as gently caress. They don't actually sit flush in the mounts for the factory signals though, they kinda sit on top of them. I'd like to find a way to chamfer the edges of the mounts slightly so the Protons actually fit within them, but I don't know how to do it cleanly with just hand tools.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Never, always by hand.

The fraction turn it varies based on the thread pitch of the fitting, it's a feel thing but using a tool gives far too much mechanical advantage.

I'm too lazy to post a pic of my filter but I dented it enough with the tool installing it to prove slavvy correct on this, and it's leaking worse than it was before with the hand tight filter. Although if you're going to use a tool, the socket type would be a lot better than the adjustable wrench type I used, which really should only be for taking filters off.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

You will definitely need a trickle charger if you want to keep that battery, an optimate is fine but really any cheap digital trickle charger will do the job. Usually they have a little harness consisting of two eye terminals that permanently bolt to your battery and a connector that you dangle somewhere inconspicuous on the bike, like under the seat or whatever. The charger just plugs into that.

Awesome cheers. Looking like the Optimate anyway as the Amazon sellers won't ship the cheaper ones to Schweiz.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I just installed proton lights on my fz-07
http://www.hightechspeed.com/products/Proton500/proton.html
Holeefuk they are bright. I have them doing a double flash pattern and a driver I passed actually winced and shielded his eyes with his hand. Exactly what I wanted, to been seen signalling. I was concerned before buying about people in front seeing my turn signal but its not at all an issue after installation.

I guess my question is why did I think this was the discussion thread?

I impulse bought these last night after reading more about them, then realized this morning I barely signal anyway, oops. At least I do signal for when I really wanted them, waiting to turn left where you don't have a dedicated lane.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Keegers posted:

What is this goop on my motorcycle battery? Bought the bike new in July, never looked at the battery till now and I see this goo? Doesn't look like corrosion assuming it's some spray to prevent corrosion?

Could I just throw my battery tender over top of it?

Old, but that's white lithium grease.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

builds character posted:

Old, but that's white lithium grease.

I was going to say the very same thing. It looks like white lithium grease, when it gets old it sort of cakes up. Personally I'm not quite sure why someone put it on the battery (maybe to keep from a stuck screw but it shouldn't be on that tight in the first place) but I've also learned that the average person does a lot of random poo poo to their vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MomJeans420 posted:

I impulse bought these last night after reading more about them, then realized this morning I barely signal anyway, oops. At least I do signal for when I really wanted them, waiting to turn left where you don't have a dedicated lane.

the running lights are bright so they will still help alot