Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
Time for NSW Greens voters to find Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hidys posted:

Well he can rest assured that he completely hosed his Victorian colleagues and probably his federal colleagues as well.

To be fair, Angus and Dominic didn't really help anything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Whitlam posted:

To be fair, Angus and Dominic didn't really help anything.

Buckingham would have had to kill someone on camera to beat those two for negative publicity in Victoria. We are very capable of going "yeah but NSW is gently caress aye lol" which is why I struggled to remember what had actually happened.

Dominic sent everyone packing though. Three friends went to ALP and VicSoc at the top from Greens just because of the vile taste. It helps having a popular premier that gels with left thinking voters as well, but Dominic really hosed the greens.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also lol at Ratnam spending the following days blaming a Labor smear campaign for losing. Get candidates that don't rape people should probably be your takeaway rather than blaming other parties for playing dirty pool.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
So fun story, when I went to vote in Footscray the Greens vol was talking about Angus. His take on it was "I would have thought anyone under the age of 40 was familiar with rap". I asked if he was defending the lyrics Angus and Sam had condemned, and pointed out that date rape and misogyny isn't a requirement for rap, noting that Hamilton managed to get pretty popular with the under 40 set without any of that. He said Hamilton was "gentrified rap" and that he didn't like Lin Manuel Miranda because of his support of Clinton.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Whitlam posted:

So fun story, when I went to vote in Footscray the Greens vol was talking about Angus. His take on it was "I would have thought anyone under the age of 40 was familiar with rap". I asked if he was defending the lyrics Angus and Sam had condemned, and pointed out that date rape and misogyny isn't a requirement for rap, noting that Hamilton managed to get pretty popular with the under 40 set without any of that. He said Hamilton was "gentrified rap" and that he didn't like Lin Manuel Miranda because of his support of Clinton.

this is a tremendous self-own mr whitlam

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It would also open up decisions to possible avenues of appeal and generally make the process more publically visible.

The general character cancellation power is not too badly administrated, there is a special unit for it and processes that have to be followed and it can be appealed to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. The problem is that towards the end of... either 2015 or 2016, I think 2016, Dutton gave himself massive new overreaching powers to cancel visas himself and overturn AAT decisions. His decisions can be challenged in court if they're incorrectly made according to law (e.g. if he didn't read all the documents involved before making a decision) but he can just remake the decision then according to law so it doesn't help. A real way to challenge those decisions would be amazing (if I were him I'd just get Coleman to do them while there's any doubt about his eligibility).

The other really really lovely thing that got introduced is mandatory visa cancellation for people who have a prior substantial criminal record and then get sent to prison again for any length of time. They then have to sit in immigration detention while requesting their visa back or trying to appeal the decision to refuse to give it back. And to be clear we're often talking about people who have been living in Australia for decades, who may have grown up here, who have been disenfranchised under our systems and really should be our problem to deal with, especially as many have absolutely 0 support in their passport country.

NZ is getting especially pissed off at us for kicking out so many of its citizens in such a lovely way when they don't do the same to ours.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

The general character cancellation power is not too badly administrated, there is a special unit for it and processes that have to be followed and it can be appealed to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. The problem is that towards the end of... either 2015 or 2016, I think 2016, Dutton gave himself massive new overreaching powers to cancel visas himself and overturn AAT decisions. His decisions can be challenged in court if they're incorrectly made according to law (e.g. if he didn't read all the documents involved before making a decision) but he can just remake the decision then according to law so it doesn't help. A real way to challenge those decisions would be amazing (if I were him I'd just get Coleman to do them while there's any doubt about his eligibility).

The other really really lovely thing that got introduced is mandatory visa cancellation for people who have a prior substantial criminal record and then get sent to prison again for any length of time. They then have to sit in immigration detention while requesting their visa back or trying to appeal the decision to refuse to give it back. And to be clear we're often talking about people who have been living in Australia for decades, who may have grown up here, who have been disenfranchised under our systems and really should be our problem to deal with, especially as many have absolutely 0 support in their passport country.

NZ is getting especially pissed off at us for kicking out so many of its citizens in such a lovely way when they don't do the same to ours.

This goes back to my original point about Labor's position though, they had a golden opportunity to criticise the existence of the powers Dutton gave himself and chose not to (although I wouldn't be surprised if they voted with the Coalition to pass them, assuming they required a legislative change)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This goes back to my original point about Labor's position though, they had a golden opportunity to criticise the existence of the powers Dutton gave himself and chose not to (although I wouldn't be surprised if they voted with the Coalition to pass them, assuming they required a legislative change)

Oh yeah absolutely, I wasn't really arguing with you so much as quoting to continue the discussion and explaining more of how it works. Labor are absolutely useless on the issue because beating their chests about foreign criminals plays really well. I just checked and actually it was the end of 2014 and it looks like Dutton only became minister around the same time so it must have been Morrison who introduced it. Time flies...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Organza Quiz posted:

It has already killed one person that I know of - Australia deported a known mentally ill drug addict to the UK (his birth country) despite him moving to Australia as a child. He overdosed two days after arrival.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

at this stage it really doesn't matter what he did, it's his behavior towards the complainant and her supporters that has put people offside. mostly having been a vocal critic of defamation laws up until he had someone to sue for defamation. at which point he decided he quite liked them. his supporters have been doing the white male entitlement dance, calling and threatening women working in the offices of parliamentarians perceived as opposing him.

it's a big loving mess.

It speaks to the immaturity of their organisation that he can stand there and continue to damage the party; the majors have very quick processes to remove similar issues for them, and frankly it should have been nipped in the bud at branch level like a normal party. That it's not even in their culture to have a baseline for this is incredible.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Jonah Galtberg posted:

this is a tremendous self-own mr whitlam

That's like replying to someone saying GG Allen is just typical of the vulgarity of his genre and being like "oh, ever heard of the smash hit School of Rock starring Jack Black?", you're both embarrassing

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Whitlam posted:

You couldn't think of any non-misogynistic 'rap' other than Hamilton? Did you want to lose this argument?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Should have gone with Weird Al for that argument Whitlam

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also if some poo poo eating green told me some white dude's rap was the opposite of gentrified at a polling booth I'd have spit my fair trade fifty degree latte into their eyes.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Whitlam posted:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Whitlam posted:

very painful to read

most modern popular rappers don't have lyrics about date raping women though misogyny is admittedly a bigger fish to fry and harder to disentangle from the genre (yea, women are treated as trophies and status objects in hip hop, but actually rapping about giving women rohypnol is an entirely different kettle of awful)

your response about rap the ~youth~ could enjoy was a musical that mostly only rich folk can go see that while popular is always going to have an element of self-aware dorkiness to it because its a history lesson

my conclusion is that you are in fact a goon

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Less than 6 months ago Brockhampton kicks out Ameer for being emotionally manipulative and abusive to women and you used Hamilton as an example? lol

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_rEqCivn4

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

An actual good policy that is being well communicated? Holy poo poo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Labor could still beat their chests about deporting criminals and also not be such dickheads about it

“The uncertainty caused by the member for dickheads eligibility is a great example of why this power shouldn’t be in a single persons hands. There needs to be a proper process because quite frankly we don’t trust Peter Duttons competence or willingness to use this power in the interests of Australia rather than his own petty fear mongering and points scoring” or something along those lines. People hate dutton, use him as the example for why this shouldn’t be a ministerial power.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Also worth noting re the whole NSW Greens shitshow:

A 75%+1 supermajority of local groups/branches is required to do literally anything that's not a straight up preselection/election. Hell, if one group wants to block that 75%+1 supermajority is required just to talk about or even vote on anything. A few stacked regional branches with 20 members can completely shut down any and all discussion on any issue even if the entire rest of the party wants something done.

The reason for this is because we assumed everyone would be reasonable and have the best interests of the Greens in mind and we wouldn't ever have factions since everyone could just get along in our wonderful fantasyland :negative:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

An actual good policy that is being well communicated? Holy poo poo

This reminds me of the east west link bullshit the libs pulled down here where they wrote a hand grenade payment into the contract in case labor pulled it.

Hopefully NSW won’t do the same?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Aesculus posted:

A 75%+1 supermajority of local groups/branches is required to do literally anything that's not a straight up preselection/election. Hell, if one group wants to block that 75%+1 supermajority is required just to talk about or even vote on anything. A few stacked regional branches with 20 members can completely shut down any and all discussion on any issue even if the entire rest of the party wants something done.

The reason for this is because we assumed everyone would be reasonable and have the best interests of the Greens in mind and we wouldn't ever have factions since everyone could just get along in our wonderful fantasyland :negative:

lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Aesculus posted:

This is an example of a competent political organisation.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

teacup posted:

This reminds me of the east west link bullshit the libs pulled down here where they wrote a hand grenade payment into the contract in case labor pulled it.

Hopefully NSW won’t do the same?

Didn’t seem to hurt Dandrews

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you throw down the gauntlet hard enough the only people that will complain will be LNP die hards while everyone else gets angry at the LNP for doing poo poo right before an election as a trap.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I’m a Greens member (for now) but not deeply involved, partly because I live overseas. What are the ‘right factions’ within the Greens; their policies and personality? Are we talking about ‘tree tories’ or a different variety of tumour?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I wonder how many traps the federal LNP have set

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Aside from the ones they keep setting off themselves?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

I went to Adelaide to visit a friend recently and I always liked the wine region and stuff, but I was also stunned that Adelaide City is actually good and has some really nice bars that amusingly lean into Adelaide seeming like the knitting capital of the world.

Adelaide is genuinely an awesome place to live once you know all the good places to go.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Senor Tron posted:

Adelaide is genuinely an awesome place to live once you know all the good places to go.
Such as the airport.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Or the valley of rabid dogs

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

We’re still eating poo poo from the last time these pricks were in government. Howard and Costello’s shenanigans set everyone after them up to fail.

A really good piece in The Monthly from a few years back:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2015/july/1435672800/richard-denniss/clowns-and-treasurers

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gonna start following NSW politics more in the lead up to the state election.

So not paying to rebuild the stadiums is popular? I would have thought anything related to sports ball would be a winner?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So the liberal member for corangamite was just on Faine. Her brutal, planned argument was "if the ALP are all for women why are they trying to defeat me" while Faine laughs at her and tries to inform her that her opponent is a woman.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh hey Malcolm Turnbull and Christian Porter were working on a federal icac proposal before Mal was turfed and its been buried.

Cool timing on that spill.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

So the liberal member for corangamite was just on Faine. Her brutal, planned argument was "if the ALP are all for women why are they trying to defeat me" while Faine laughs at her and tries to inform her that her opponent is a woman.

Yeah I just listened to that. Amazing.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

Hahahahahahahaha amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

hambeet posted:

Gonna start following NSW politics more in the lead up to the state election.

So not paying to rebuild the stadiums is popular? I would have thought anything related to sports ball would be a winner?

its more that theyre spending a ton of money on stadiums instead of schools, hospitals, & public transport