Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I feel like the opposite. I'm comfortable with drk, especially after learning The Blackest Night. I feel like it's a crime that you have to wait until 70 to get it. I also enjoy Dark Arts weaving and how some abilities are different depending on its use. My guess is though that they'll oversimplify the class next expansion,maybe get rid of dark arts altogether :(

WAR though? I just don't get it. I leveled it to 55 and it just feels so much harder to use, even compared to my DRK at 55. I think it's the burst phase that trips me up. I stopped leveling PLD at 55 also, but mostly because I'm sick of Rage of Halone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
In SdB, I have a feeling the blood gauge will be what fuels dark arts for DRK, given that they're combining TP and MP. Just the combination of those two is going to require a decent rework for DRK and PLD, since they both use MP and TP for different phases / things. Removing dark arts entirely would change the feeling of DRK too much, though I do think they've said they want to try to have it used less often, to cut down on DRK john maddening (we're not MCHs).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol the warrior burst phase is dumb all the way to 70 and then... you dont have to worry about it at all. its like, trying to time having berserk/infuriate and poo poo all ready to pop to get off your 3 fell cleaves or whatever, and then you hit 70, get internal release and you dont need to do anything, just pop it and slam your 5 fell cleaves since they're all free and crits. it got significantly easier at 70.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's been a while since I've played DRK, but can't you effectively just ignore TP? I don't recall ever having a TP problem on that class since you're mostly mashing 123 while squeezing in MP spending skills.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Marathanes posted:

In SdB, I have a feeling the blood gauge will be what fuels dark arts for DRK, given that they're combining TP and MP. Just the combination of those two is going to require a decent rework for DRK and PLD, since they both use MP and TP for different phases / things. Removing dark arts entirely would change the feeling of DRK too much, though I do think they've said they want to try to have it used less often, to cut down on DRK john maddening (we're not MCHs).

DA moving to the blood gauge actually makes a lot of sense and I think I'd be okay with that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DRK is worth leveling just for the quests. The 70 quest has amazing lines in the main quest, the additional dialogue and the quest log.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think the big thing with DRK being harder to heal is that a lot of people will only use TBN for tankbusters if they use it at all. That's a big thing that separates good tanks from bad in general: knowing when you can use cooldowns on auto attacks or raidwides while still having enough for tankbusters.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

DRK is worth leveling just for the quests. The 70 quest has amazing lines in the main quest, the additional dialogue and the quest log.

DRK was my first and only 70, since I'm pretty new to the game still, so I don't have a reference to compare it to. I will say, however, that enjoyed the quest line immensely. All of it was good from 30 to 70. I felt like with the Frey stuff, there was some fourth wall breaking subjects, such as why are you doing all these side quests for people who should learn to help themselves? The Sid and Rielle interactions and character growth were well done.

He also taught me that punching moogles is not only okay, but should be encouraged.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Yeah, the job quests for DRK are best-in-show. There are other good storylines (I do really enjoy the MCH story), but all of the small touches like "actually interesting quest text in the journal that you absolutely should be reading" put it above everything else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
oh for gently caress's sake I have to play as Alph?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alakaiser posted:

Yeah, the job quests for DRK are best-in-show. There are other good storylines (I do really enjoy the MCH story), but all of the small touches like "actually interesting quest text in the journal that you absolutely should be reading" put it above everything else.

MCH quests are also insanely good because they are all about shooting nobles in the face with guns.

What I'm saying is that Karl Marx would have mained MCH :ussr:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cythereal posted:

We have all been waiting for this moment.

If it helps, there's a similar event in 4.4 with an amazing payoff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

My God I've wanted to kill that brat since ARR. What part of "Everything you touch turns to poo poo, gently caress off you insufferable brat" is so hard for the game to understand about the moron?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cythereal posted:

My God I've wanted to kill that brat since ARR. What part of "Everything you touch turns to poo poo, gently caress off you insufferable brat" is so hard for the game to understand about the moron?

The part where Alphinaud is great and we all love (to dunk on) him.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Cythereal posted:

alphinaud is great, sorry for your are poo poo taste

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Basically the entire part after ARR, hth.

e: especially the dunkings

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

every good crew needs a dunk sink or the dunk equilibrium becomes askew

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

every good crew needs a dunk sink or the dunk equilibrium becomes askew

Warrior of Dunk

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Warrior of Dunk

Dunkelritter, so to speak

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

been farting around on some high level paladin and man, idk, coming off drk and war this class feels like it has so many buttons but none of them really do anything

in particular i don't like holy spirit phase because it feels kinda lovely to use. i guess it's important for a tank to have time to squeeze in an oGCD after casting, but the fact that the cast bar does not match GCD length throws me off extremely badly. i end up pressing holy spirit again right after the cast goes off because i want to squeeze in as many as possible but i just end up standing there doing nothing because GCD is still ticking down

it's a shame because i love the aesthetics of the class but it just doesn't feel that good to play

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I think I just finished this a couple hours ago!

Are you talking about the part where Y'shtola dunks on "little sun" and Sadu loses her poo poo laughing? Because if so, yes, that whole exchange was extremely good!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

central dogma posted:

I think I just finished this a couple hours ago!

Are you talking about the part where Y'shtola dunks on "little sun" and Sadu loses her poo poo laughing? Because if so, yes, that whole exchange was extremely good!

Yes this exactly. Y'shtola has exactly zero patience or mercy for lovestruck agro dudes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

central dogma posted:

I've never been around for a new expansion. Do people tend to flock to the job showcased in the previews, e.g. Dragoon in HW and monk/Sam for SB?

Are there gonna be a billion DRK tanks when ShB comes out?

According to Yoshi-P during a edit: Heavenward Live Letter, looking at the data, adding a tank did not make people play a tank. It seemed as though if you played a tank before, you would continue to play tanks, if you played a healer before, you continued to play a healer, and if you played a DPS before, you continued to play DPS.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 27, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SwissArmyDruid posted:

According to Yoshi-P during a Live Letter, looking at the data, adding a tank did not make people play a tank. It seemed as though if you played a tank before, you would continue to play tanks, if you played a healer before, you continued to play a healer, and if you played a DPS before, you continued to play DPS.

Such is MMOs. Same as it ever was.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm glad to hear my queues will continue to be as short as they always are

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That said, expect a lot of people to be running gunblade and dancer unrevealed new jobs at 5.0 release to try them out. Raubahn Savage exacerbated the amount of 4.0 release week samurai and red mages, but there would have been a ton even if things were going smoothly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh no, your queues are going to get WORSE.

First off, there are the freaks like me who absolutely have to max every job, and so play one job of each role.

Then there's Blue Mage, which is going to remove people from the queue entirely.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If Gunblader is a tank there will be a short term surge, but long term equilibrium restores and the non tanks go back to non tanking.

Gunblader mains will be cannibalized from existing tanks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Marathanes posted:

I think even as a RDM Krile yells at you saying something like, "Can't you heal too, dumbass?'

Nope. I played RDM throughout SB and never got that scene.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Kaubocks posted:

been farting around on some high level paladin and man, idk, coming off drk and war this class feels like it has so many buttons but none of them really do anything

in particular i don't like holy spirit phase because it feels kinda lovely to use. i guess it's important for a tank to have time to squeeze in an oGCD after casting, but the fact that the cast bar does not match GCD length throws me off extremely badly. i end up pressing holy spirit again right after the cast goes off because i want to squeeze in as many as possible but i just end up standing there doing nothing because GCD is still ticking down

it's a shame because i love the aesthetics of the class but it just doesn't feel that good to play

Holy Spirit is a, I dunno, half GCD spell. You can comfortably fit an off global between Holy Spirit casts, which is helpful because sprits within should be coming off cooldown in the middle of the Holy Spirit phase. Or pop a sheltron, that’s always cool.

But yeah it is just standing (largely) still and hammering Spell Cleave 5 times. You can still reposition in that little space (and an additional .5 seconds at the tail end of the cast, but that’s finicky).

PLD is pretty brain dead rotation wise. A lot of their interest is their panoply of defensive abilities that you can use off the GCD. Even passage of arms now!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

For only one Solo Duty.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just got my Encyclopedia Eorzea 2 pre-ship notice so they must have fixed their production issues.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

M.c.P posted:

Or pop a sheltron, that’s always cool.

Fun fact, you can't block during a spellcast. Probably a leftover from when spellcasters ocassionally carried shields but very relevant during o12s door fight where you'll be entering your Holy Spirit phase right during the Solar Ray tankbuster.

There's also some minor optimization you can do if you get fed MP through some outside sources to do Holy Spirits outside of Requiscat in multiples of three (to replace an entire combo).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cythereal posted:

Why is that bad?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Why is that bad?

Because Alphinaud is the worst character in the game in my opinion. Yotsuyu at least had the good graces to only be in one expansion and die.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i will not stand for this slander of my beloved failson.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except they then proceeded to shove Fordola into the "short stories" section of the game, which means we'll never have her show up in the story again.

I wanted her to show up with a badass eyepatch she wears to keep her always-on Echo in check, or some poo poo.

I super highly doubt that we'll never see her again being that we're just about to go on adventures with her dad.

Cythereal posted:

Because Alphinaud is the worst character in the game in my opinion. Yotsuyu at least had the good graces to only be in one expansion and die.

It is amazing how, in a thread that will often have really bad opinions, you consistently have the worst opinions of anyone.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 27, 2018

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Cythereal posted:

Because Alphinaud is the worst character in the game in my opinion.

Man, I can understand being down on Alphy at the end of ARR, but he's become one of my favorite characters in the game since and I will not stand for you mocking my beautiful boy.

e: what's the side content fordola was shoved off to? I liked her arc

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 27, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ARR Alphinaud deserves swirlies.

HW Alphinaud and onwards deserves affectionate swirlies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Tales from the Storm side stories on Lodestone, one of the newer ones.