Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
also skex, buddy

shorten your posts.

If you find yourself writing that much, it's an EXTREMELY GOOD SIGN that you're not doing a good job expressing yourself, your poo poo is unreadable.

Also when you write that many words it's inevitable some part of it will be misunderstood (in part because you're clearly demonstrating a lack of clear understanding yourself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Charlz Guybon posted:

If the Russians invade the Baltics, Poland will immediately intervene and that would eventualy cause Germany to be sucked in.

Poland doesn't have good enough of an army to beat Russia

If russian tanks start crossing the polish border then yeah 100% Germany will intervene unilaterally even if rest of NATO doesn't, but is Merkel gonna go to war over dead Polish soldiers in Estonia if the whole thing is over in like 4 weeks? And then Putin says Estonia is now part of Russia and he's gonna defend it just like he defends Moscow (aka threatening to use nukes if he loses)

idk of Merkel is gonna risk berlin getting nuked over a few thousand dead Poles in Estonia

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

enraged_camel posted:

lol, demand for instagram is definitely peaking as people are scrambling to figure out a way to watch AOC streams

i swear to kali amazon's been pushing instant pots on me since her macaroni stream and i didn't even watch it or click on a link to it

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i swear to kali amazon's been pushing instant pots on me since her macaroni stream and i didn't even watch it or click on a link to it

Do you use adblockers?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If I were to hazard the most charitable scenario possible: Schumer's tact here is that playing softball and holding to the old agreement is to stop Mitch from killing the Fillibuster and going for the full-blown ram-through of the $5 Billion using the lame duck House. The Wall won't pass if it needs 60, but it almost definitely will with 50 plus VP. Turtle knows that the next 9 months or so are going to determine if Trump is completely Teflon and they just have to take their chances on him in 2020 or if the party will need to turn on him like Nixon to survive. If put into a corner by a hardball negotiating stance, Mitch could very well be willing to toss those dice now. But with political cover to the turn of 1.6 billion which he can claim on Sunday Shows is fulfilling Trump's promise but in the future can be spun as the party never believing in the stupid wall, Turtle has protection for the GOP as an institution on both ends, thus he has all the incentive in the world to put off the Doomsday Button until after the Dems have the House.

Now, of course it's far more likely that Schumer is just a Third War wastoid who thinks he can win CENTRISTS and NEVER TRUMP REPUBLICANS to the Dem Umbrella by continuing to pay lip service to the dog whistle. But I wouldn't totally rule out the former scenario.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Typo posted:

If russian tanks start crossing the polish border then yeah 100% Germany will intervene unilaterally even if rest of NATO doesn't, but is Merkel gonna go to war over dead Polish soldiers in Estonia if the whole thing is over in like 4 weeks? And then Putin says Estonia is now part of Russia and he's gonna defend it just like he defends Moscow (aka threatening to use nukes if he loses)

idk of Merkel is gonna risk berlin getting nuked over a few thousand dead Poles in Estonia

Not to be a dick, but I kind of doubt any of that would happen. If Putin tried the "It's ours now, we'll nuke you if you try to take back the territory we unlawfully invaded." trick he'd basically be starting a second cold war. Pretty much all of Russia's neighbors and rivals would conspire to gently caress them economically and maybe even militarily in that scenario. Barring the US at the moment, that is.

China in particular would probably lose it's poo poo barring some sort of backroom deal. Since they're the other big global competitor that'd possibly stand to lose something from a militarily expansionist Russia basically saying "gently caress the rules. It's time to risk starting WW3.".

Keep in mind that Obama's administration supposedly caused Putin and the oligarchs that run Russia to lose their poo poo just by economically sanctioning them for a few years. That sort of situation could very well end up cratering their economy again. Especially once we don't have what's effectively a manchurian candidate dedicated to loving over the populace in office.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Typo posted:

Just no. If an EU country is occupied, even the smallest one, then every EU country is committing troops. It would absolutely be an existential issue for the EU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sanguinia posted:

If I were to hazard the most charitable scenario possible: Schumer's tact here is that playing softball and holding to the old agreement is to stop Mitch from killing the Fillibuster and going for the full-blown ram-through of the $5 Billion using the lame duck House. The Wall won't pass if it needs 60, but it almost definitely will with 50 plus VP. Turtle knows that the next 9 months or so are going to determine if Trump is completely Teflon and they just have to take their chances on him in 2020 or if the party will need to turn on him like Nixon to survive. If put into a corner by a hardball negotiating stance, Mitch could very well be willing to toss those dice now. But with political cover to the turn of 1.6 billion which he can claim on Sunday Shows is fulfilling Trump's promise but in the future can be spun as the party never believing in the stupid wall, Turtle has protection for the GOP as an institution on both ends, thus he has all the incentive in the world to put off the Doomsday Button until after the Dems have the House.

Now, of course it's far more likely that Schumer is just a Third War wastoid who thinks he can win CENTRISTS and NEVER TRUMP REPUBLICANS to the Dem Umbrella by continuing to pay lip service to the dog whistle. But I wouldn't totally rule out the former scenario.

Turtle will pull that football back wherever it suits him.

Then act like the skies falling when the tables turn.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

The fact that it was close at all implies there’s a non-trivial constituency in Mississippi for SOME kind of improvement and maybe if we actually tried we could organize some kind of movement there.
Going by the percentages I reckon it breaks down roughly like this: white Mississippians voted for white supremacy, everybody else voted for not-white-supremacy. The only kind of movement you can organize there with any hope of tangible improvement is the one where you move virtually all the white people into gulags re-education camps deprogramming facilities.

The deep south is lost for two generations. Come to think of it, that sounds like something I might have said with equal conviction during the Civil Rights Movement, or for that matter just after the Civil War, so I'll amend that to "the deep south is lost". We should have never admitted the fuckers back into the union as ordinary states.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Strange Poon posted:

i burned all my social media accounts awhile ago but i keep telling myself to pick up Instagram just so I can watch her streams.

Strange Poon posted:

i burned all my social media accounts awhile ago but i keep telling myself to pick up Instagram just so I can watch her streams.

I'd recommend against it. AOC could have a great political future ahead of her and she's doing fantastic so far, but the social media stuff is just for the rubes and the cult of personality aficionados. If you already get why her politics and philosophy are great than watching her make mac and cheese live isn't that worthwhile. It's great for getting others on board who are less politically inclined and it's a fantastic tactic and I'm glad she's doing it, but it's just a glorified political rally.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The deep south is lost for two generations. Come to think of it, that sounds like something I might have said with equal conviction during the Civil Rights Movement, or for that matter just after the Civil War, so I'll amend that to "the deep south is lost". We should have never admitted the fuckers back into the union as ordinary states.

People keep claiming there's hope in Georgia, but I'm pretty skeptical.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

If Schumer had any sense, which of course he does not, but if he did he'd force McConnell to eliminate the filibuster now since the Democrats will need to do that in 2020 anyway, and take the hit on $5 billion for the wall in exchange for tying the GOP even closer to Trump. (Well, encourage him to eliminate it - this doesn't really force him either way.)

That's not to say, by the way, that he's tying the GOP closer to Trump so they "inevitably" go down with him. Trump may very well not go down. But if he doesn't go down, then the $5 billion doesn't matter anyway, and if he does go down, then every effort must be made to ensure the GOP goes down with him, in the "no longer a national party" sense, and $5 billion is cheap to get even 1% closer to that goal.

And I don't put much stock in arguments that funding the wall, even if it's just the GOP doing it in the lame duck on a party-line vote (+Manchin, probably, the poo poo), makes America look like we're full of racist assholes. That ship has sailed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If Schumer had any sense, which of course he does not, but if he did he'd force McConnell to eliminate the filibuster now since the Democrats will need to do that in 2020 anyway, and take the hit on $5 billion for the wall in exchange for tying the GOP even closer to Trump. (Well, encourage him to eliminate it - this doesn't really force him either way.)

We gain nothing at all by Republicans ending the filibuster

They're also not going to end it when Democrats control the house?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I am honestly not sure that democrats will have the votes to nuke the filibuster if they DO take back the senate, it only takes a couple senators way too obsessed with senate norms. In that sense, it's useful to have the republicans nuke the fillibuster if you need it nuked but can't muster the votes to do it yourself. The problem is, I'm pretty schumer is one of those people who wouldn't vote to nuke the filibuster so there's no way he'd ever aim for it.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

^^^ yeah it's this, hence why I prefaced my post with "if Schumer had any sense" as I'm clearly dealing in counterfactuals here

theflyingorc posted:

We gain nothing at all by Republicans ending the filibuster

They're also not going to end it when Democrats control the house?
If Republicans end the filibuster now that avoids the inevitable :decorum: hemming and hawing that will happen when / if the Democrats go to end it in 2020, assuming they control the Senate then, and assuming they want to get anything done, and assuming they have any balls. Which is assuming a lot, I grant.

But it's something that has to be done and frankly should be done i.e. eliminating the filibuster is the right thing to do on the basic merits as it's really undemocratic. And if the Democrats want to do anything to avoid the catastrophe of 30% of the country electing 70 Senators by, let's say, patching up the VRA or admitting a few more states to the union, or whatever, they have to eliminate the filibuster. Anything else is just giving up the Senate basically for good after 2030. I mean, you know, barring more outlandish stuff which renders it moot, like abolishing the Senate or a balkanization of the US or whatever, which I also wholeheartedly support.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

It's a bit more complex than that. The German military thought (rightly) if there was going to be a war it had better be sooner rather than later because if the Russian military got much stronger they'd have no chance to win.

The Germans were in a really weak spot and needed to knock out either France or Russia before the other was fully ready to go as they couldn't effectively fight on 2 fronts (see: WW2). So their war plan called for them to take on France and eliminate them as soon as it was clear that Russia was going to war, since Russia and France were allied. The reason they went France first instead of Russia is because Russia's huge and their army took forever to get mobilized.

Because of how delicate their plan was delays of even a day or week could mean the difference between winning the war and losing decisively. Once they got word the Russians were gearing up for war the decision was pretty much out of their hands. The British did a really nice job of trying to stop things at the 11th hour but it was hopeless to stop things once Russia began mobilizing. Meanwhile France mobilized fast but it wasn't too far from the border to Paris, and if the German Army could take Paris and/or cripple the French Army they could swing their resources to meet the Russians in the East once they got their soldiers to the front.

The German paranoia about being surrounded was very, very real back then and they didn't exactly trust anyone because they literally had to capture Paris to even make their country.

Arguably once Austria-Hungary sends the ultimatum they knew Serbia couldn't accept and Russia pledged to defend Serbia there was no way to stop the war. Maybe you can keep the UK out of the war if the Belgians decide to stand down and let the Germans walk through on their way to Paris (as the Germans did ask initially) but yeah, nobody was stopping WW1 once the mobilization started.

The real irony in this is that the Russians were completely unprepared and the Germans ended up smashing them out the gate with an Army that wasn't meant to do any offense, giving them the one-front war they wanted...but with the wrong enemy defeated early.

The only moral action for Germany was to allow Russia to defend Serbia from the belligerent Austria-Hungary.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

reignonyourparade posted:

I am honestly not sure that democrats will have the votes to nuke the filibuster if they DO take back the senate, it only takes a couple senators way too obsessed with senate norms. In that sense, it's useful to have the republicans nuke the fillibuster if you need it nuked but can't muster the votes to do it yourself. The problem is, I'm pretty schumer is one of those people who wouldn't vote to nuke the filibuster so there's no way he'd ever aim for it.

i mentioned it a bit ago but i'm not actually certain mcconnell has the votes to kill the filibuster

all it takes (right now) is two tea party nutters clinging to their ability to keep anything distressingly non-evil from being passed, and he done got a real serious problem

such as, for example, Mike Lee and Bag O'Wasps

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

If the Russians invade the Baltics, Poland will immediately intervene and that would eventualy cause Germany to be sucked in.

Yeah but what would Poland alone be able to do against Russia?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yeah but what would Poland alone be able to do against Russia?

Outborscht the suckers!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Skex posted:

No I didn't conflate the two I very specifically said that even if we were to adopt an open border policy that securing the border so that we know who and what is coming and going is still a valid concern.

I also stated that there isn't sufficient public support for open borders for it to be a winning issue. Or more specifically that the idea is a political loser.

Only 7% of Americans support open borders a slightly hirer percentage support more immigration as long as there is work available. But even that only gets to 43% support for generally liberal immigration policies but that's not open borders

You can call me all the names you want, you can project whatever strawman you want it's not going to change the politics of the question.

but skex, i have not strawmanned your position once. i literally said

Condiv posted:

skex has made it quite clear he's against the concept

and you are. you have various excuses for why you're against the concept of open borders, but the fact remains that you are. sorry that i'm not giving you credit for being pro-open borders when every time you post on the subject you argue against it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sanguinia posted:

the former scenario still makes him a third way wastoid, cause it won't work. playing nice with republicans has never resulted in the republicans reciprocating. if turtle man wants the wall funding enough to tear down the filibuster to get it, he'll do just that regardless of what schumer does. i think this is quite obvious considering every other time we've tried playing nice with republicans just for them to kick poo poo into our faces

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1067613708233441282

thank you for defending bankers and their portfolios obama :patriot:

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1067613708233441282

thank you for defending bankers and their portfolios obama :patriot:

Obama’s almost owning up to his capitulation to the banks here, and it kind of makes it sadder.

“C’mon guys, I not only kept ALL of you out of jail (and safe from rightfully angry mobs), I also helped make you all even more obscenely wealthy. And you still have to be greedier and keep grinding regular Americans into dust for profit?”

And the scorpions responded:

“You knew what we were from the beginning.”

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
I mean there is a valid point in there that whatever money you might have saved from a Republican tax cut is going to be way offset by them cratering the economy so you'd be better off financially with the Democrats in control even if it means paying higher taxes. The way it's phrased in that quote doesn't come across so great though.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 28, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1067719797847310337

Congrats to Republicans for their big win in the swing state of Mississippi.

The seat is up for the full six years in 2020, Hyde-Smith is still a weak candidate, Espy is a blue dog, and the grapes were sour anyway.

Sanguinia posted:

Nobody who knows poo poo seems to think there's any hope in Montana

They have 2 D governors there who have a shot. The current one already beat Gianforte in 2016.

mcmagic posted:

Which Dem is messaging immigration correctly?

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1067350365518135296

By the way, why isn't he verified?

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 28, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

By the way, why isn't he verified?

Not a nazi.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/muhmentions/status/1067757854096973824

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Going by the percentages I reckon it breaks down roughly like this: white Mississippians voted for white supremacy, everybody else voted for not-white-supremacy. The only kind of movement you can organize there with any hope of tangible improvement is the one where you move virtually all the white people into gulags re-education camps deprogramming facilities.

Things are looking pretty hopeful in Texas. Beto may have lost, but a lot of Democrats got elected at the state level in the midterm (including a few out and proud socialists!) and statistics indicate that things are going to get bluer as time goes on.

Or does Texas not count as part of the deep south? I know I and basically every other Texan I've ever met doesn't really think of Texas as "The South" (Texas is just Texas), but I've never been clear on what the prevailing outside opinion on that is.

Finally, someone who speaks the truth.

Bulbasaur Rules.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

South Carolina elected a second House representative this past cycle, flipping Mark Sanford's old district. The Democrat ran on an anti-drilling campaign because offshore drilling is such a threat to the local economy.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Things are looking pretty hopeful in Texas. Beto may have lost, but a lot of Democrats got elected at the state level in the midterm (including a few out and proud socialists!) and statistics indicate that things are going to get bluer as time goes on.

Or does Texas not count as part of the deep south? I know I and basically every other Texan I've ever met doesn't really think of Texas as "The South" (Texas is just Texas), but I've never been clear on what the prevailing outside opinion on that is.

Bulbasaur Rules.

Texas is so large it doesn't fit into one group. East Texas is "the south", north Texas has some Midwest vibes, west Texas is what most people think Texas looks like, the panhandle is a god forsaken wasteland of terrible people. In downtown Houston some of our crosswalks are painted rainbow colored LBGT pride symbols put there by the city

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 28, 2018

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Bulbasaur Rules.

As an “east coast liberal”, you can divvy up the South into the Southeast (Georgia, Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland sometimes), Florida as its own thing, Texas as its own thing, and the rest is the Deep South.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

South Carolina elected a second House representative this past cycle, flipping Mark Sanford's old district. The Democrat ran on an anti-drilling campaign because offshore drilling is such a threat to the local economy.

As a cherry on top, half of his district just banned single-use plastic bags. There’s opportunities for democrats to win in the south, they just have find gaps in the Republican culture war that they’re able to hammer on.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 28, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

pokie posted:

How does the trap work?

https://twitter.com/LynnComella/status/1067610299350474752

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Blitz7x posted:

Texas is so large it doesn't fit into one group. East Texas is "the south", north Texas has some Midwest vibes, west Texas is what most people think Texas looks like, the panhandle is a god forsaken wasteland of terrible people. In downtown Houston some of our crosswalks are painted rainbow colored LBGT pride symbols put there by the city

Can confirm, the TX panhandle should be used for nuclear weapons testing, it would end up a much more pleasant place to visit, even at 5000 rems per square mile. :colbert:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Now compare with Kamala Harris and her response:

I guess running as "top cop" while going after leftist voters doesn't give you an easy script when something like this happens

She's spoken publicly against it and the need to stop it. She's not as twitter woke as other Senators, but just because you haven't seen her remarks doesn't mean she's not making them.

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm talking about skex constantly

So stop.

1glitch0 posted:

Bwahaha. Everyone in that exchange is a loving piece of garbage.

lol, wow that loving Feinstein exchange. "I'll send a letter the president. I can do that."

NO MOTHER FUCKER

I CAN DO THAT. YOU'RE A SENATOR OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. DO SOMETHING.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 28, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
God I hope some indictments drop today.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1067775022331236352

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The stupidest president in the entire history of the United States of America primarily based his decision on who should lead the Federal Reserve on....

..... height.

https://twitter.com/SaraEisen/status/1067757672949256192

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Some pretty brazen retweets by Donnie today including a:

'RT if you agree: If you weren't born in the United States, you should receive $0 assistance.'

So we're against the legal immigrants now too?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

There is no way he wrote this tweet. "Intimating" is way outside his vocab

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

That Boris Epshtyn Guy is 36 years old?! Christ he looks like he’s about to hit 55. It’s great to see that being a soul-sucking ghoul of a person ages you a full decade or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ringo Star Get posted:

That Boris Epshtyn Guy is 36 years old?! Christ he looks like he’s about to hit 55. It’s great to see that being a soul-sucking ghoul of a person ages you a full decade or so.

That is actually a phenomenon that has been remarked on before about conservatives prematurely aging. See also Stephen Miller.