Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I was wondering, if I go back and log the dates I watched movies, or add my reviews from criticker, does that bump them back up to the top? I don’t wanna be spamming the hell out of anyone’s feeds.

Yes it does, actually. I follow filmmaker Sean Baker and a week ago I got a bunch of his updates in my feed because he was logging movies he watched in 2016 and adding reviews about which theaters or festivals he was at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

still unclear to me why people constantly mention where they watched something.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Escobarbarian posted:

So after years of laziness and gradually adding everything I rated on criticker I finally completed my account! I’m over at https://letterboxd.com/escobarbarian/

I was wondering, if I go back and log the dates I watched movies, or add my reviews from criticker, does that bump them back up to the top? I don’t wanna be spamming the hell out of anyone’s feeds.

It will show up in people's feeds, but if they're old then there's a cap on how many will show up. Five at a time, if memory serves. So no need to worry

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SMP posted:

Once I found someone who was listing the production details, shoot cameras/format, how many Ks the DI was, what theatrical projection/home video format they watched the movie in, then maybe one sentence of review.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 29, 2018

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think it’s more for personal diary keeping than anything. I don’t see the point in logging format though, just strikes me as obsessive.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SMP posted:

If you watch films as a shared experience, the experiences taint, for better or worse, your impression of the films themselves.

If the first time you saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was at home on pristine BluRay while you answered texts from your friends throughout your impression of the film will be different than if you saw it for the first time on a hot summer night in a packed theatre at midnight from an old print that was turning pink in places and had the mono sound cranked too loud.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

SMP posted:

I do that in my tags. If I see something in a theater, I'll specifically log where I watch things, but that stuff usually gets kept in a separate list. For the older stuff, it's partially just a nostalgia thing. Seeing how poo poo your taste was years ago, remembering places that probably got shut down or bought out...

InfiniteZero posted:

If you watch films as a shared experience, the experiences taint, for better or worse, your impression of the films themselves.

If the first time you saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was at home on pristine BluRay while you answered texts from your friends throughout your impression of the film will be different than if you saw it for the first time on a hot summer night in a packed theatre at midnight from an old print that was turning pink in places and had the mono sound cranked too loud.

This too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

I do that in my tags. If I see something in a theater, I'll specifically log where I watch things

You and I are like twins with our Letterboxd habits!

I put the theater I watched a movie at in my tags. It's nice knowing when and where I saw a movie in theaters. It was really helpful with MoviePass, and I like knowing how much I contribute to my indie theater.

I also started logging which movies I watched on FilmStruck with a tag so I could have a nice reminder of that service.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tags sounds like a good idea. I might go and do that, but I’m still getting used to the site overall (went and tried to add the date I watched a movie that I had already reviewed and it made them two separate entries which is ultra confusing but I think I get it now)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Tags sounds like a good idea. I might go and do that, but I’m still getting used to the site overall (went and tried to add the date I watched a movie that I had already reviewed and it made them two separate entries which is ultra confusing but I think I get it now)

For that, just "Edit Review" and then you can add a date. Or if you didn't write a review, go to "Diary" and then "Edit Entry" and you can fix the date you watched it without making duplicates. That's also the easiest way to delete duplicates.

Tags are a nice idea if you wanna know how often you go to the theaters vs how often you watch Netflix vs Hulu or something. I also do it for tracking the movies I show at my horror movie nights and stuff. Making lists for everything is time consuming and makes clutter.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
You know what I really love? Letterboxd.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 29, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yes. It is a great site for movie lovers like you and me.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 29, 2018

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Franchescanado posted:

I put the theater I watched a movie at in my tags. It's nice knowing when and where I saw a movie in theaters. It was really helpful with MoviePass, and I like knowing how much I contribute to my indie theater.

I did this for a while when I had MoviePass, but then I went nuts and just started keeping a spreadsheet with the location/runtime/ticket price/my letterboxd rating for every movie I saw in theaters.

I ended up refunding MP when they switched to 3 movies/month, but I saw 35 movies at a cost of 98 cents per movie, with an average runtime of 107 minutes and letterboxd rating of 2.8.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I love Letterboxd and I love everyone in CineD.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 29, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad we all love Letterboxd.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Well that was confusing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well that was confusing.

You saw nothing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Heavy diet of short and early-twentieth century films and cartoons results in

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Incidentally, what does Letterboxd's filter consider to be a short film? Anything below 40 minutes?

I asked this question way back and accidentally stumbled upon the answer today. Letterboxd treats anything that runs for 45 minutes or less as a short. Anything above 45 minutes is considered a feature. At least I'm assuming that's how it works, because when I hide short films, Sherlock Jr. (45 min) disappears but After Death (46 min) doesn't.

For comparison, the AFI's and BFI's cutoff point is 40 minutes. The French CNC defines a feature as anything above 60 minutes, although they make a further distinction by calling everything between 30 and 60 minutes a medium-length film. Festivals seem to be all over the place, but most don't allow you to submit a short film if it runs longer than 30 minutes. I don't know why Letterboxd settled on 45 minutes, but there you go.

You might say it doesn't really matter what limits you choose, but I think the labels we apply do affect how we think about a film. We've seen examples in this thread where a few posters don't log shorts since they consider them to be of lesser importance. And we see it in the commercial world where anything between 30 and 70 minutes will have severe distribution problems because it's too long for the festival circuit and too short for a theatrical release. It's a shame because I quite often see features that have about 40 minutes of solid content but not enough to sustain a 90-minute running time, leading to severe pacing issues.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 2, 2018

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Hello I made one of these in my quest to watch an average of one movie a night for a year. Also working on giving at least a few sentences about everything I watch. https://letterboxd.com/mikeycp/

Also here's my stars for the couple months that I've been using this thing.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Are those stats only available with a pro account?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yes

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Geez, I didn't realise they made four [REC]s.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like they got worse and worse when I looked at 3 and 4. I was done after the 2nd after loving the original.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I liked 3 more than 2, but it's a really different thing.

4 was just bland.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah. I like them all except 4.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Letterboxd' Christmas Gift Guide includes this, which is just awesome: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K5XNP4...boxd_lv_dp_vv_d

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I, Butthole posted:

Letterboxd' Christmas Gift Guide includes this, which is just awesome: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K5XNP4...boxd_lv_dp_vv_d

That is awesome, but I'm partial to the "Rocky Balboa in a Wheelchair From Rocky II" action figure.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

InfiniteZero posted:

That is awesome, but I'm partial to the "Rocky Balboa in a Wheelchair From Rocky II" action figure.

Could you link that? I can't find it on their lists.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Power of Pecota posted:

Could you link that? I can't find it on their lists.

Jesus, it's a real thing: https://toywiz.com/rocky-ii-rocky-balboa-exclusive-action-figure-post-fight-wheelchair/

I shouldn't be surprised though, I remember seeing a Rocky figure for the hanging meat he trains on in the first movie in a nerd store ages ago.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I, Butthole posted:

Jesus, it's a real thing: https://toywiz.com/rocky-ii-rocky-balboa-exclusive-action-figure-post-fight-wheelchair/

I shouldn't be surprised though, I remember seeing a Rocky figure for the hanging meat he trains on in the first movie in a nerd store ages ago.

The Rocky meat figure costs $70 on Amazon

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

Vegan alert:
-Mary strangles a plant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to block certain types of notifications? I don’t like seeing “<person> liked <person’s> review of <movie>” this much if I can help it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Only if you have a Pro/Patron subscription.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Letterboxd Pro down to $12 again. Had it for a year before, and unless things have changed a lot it feels more like a $5/year service, but others seem to like.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I check my stats page more than I use a lot of other things I subscribe to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Letterboxd Pro down to $12 again. Had it for a year before, and unless things have changed a lot it feels more like a $5/year service, but others seem to like.

Was this only for one day? I'm looking and I only see $20 as an option.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah looks like it expired, I’m seeing $19 again too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is the site even more broken than usual for others? I don’t think I regularly use something that gives so many errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is the site even more broken than usual for others? I don’t think I regularly use something that gives so many errors.

Yeah, their twitter posted about it this morning/late last night. They are aware and investigating