Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Wibla posted:

The steerable HIDs in the '15 are loving amazing.

So are the steerable LEDs in the 18 :)
I have the premium package and the car beeps at you a lot.
Especially when the word BRAKE appears in giant letters on the little heads up screen. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah mine beeps at me quite a lot too, though the 15 is less annoying than the 18.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
In a big bitch like the CX-9, even though it's a little oversensitive I'm happy to have all the gizmos watching out for me smooshing into something and beeping accordingly.

dissss posted:

Sure, my point is has AWD for export been confirmed by Mazda, or is it just some auto sites looking at the Japanese models and making a guess.

Yeah. 2.5 and X will both be obtainable with AWD and stick in the States, though how far up the trim levels is still a good question.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah. 2.5 and X will both be obtainable with AWD and stick in the States, though how far up the trim levels is still a good question.

Source? I haven't seen the U.S. equipment options yet, besides the fact we're getting just the 2.5L to start with.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Does Mazda offer any AWD setups with a manual in today's line up? If they don't have something ready-ish to use I can't imagine they'd freshly engineer a manual AWD setup in 2019 and especially not for something that isn't an SUV.

As far as a speed variant Jalopnik had this little blurb:

quote:

When our David Tracy asked Mazda representatives in LA about a Mazdaspeed version of the new 3, we were also told not to expect one. But hey, we were reminded, the company does offer “Signature” versions of the Mazda 6 and CX-5, which, along with other higher trims, both get 2.5-liter, four-cylinder turbocharged engines rated at 250 horsepower.

“When asked if that engine fits in the 3, they said it does,” David reported back from the show floor.

I hope that means there's a nutty Mazda3 mule car running around somewhere with the 2.5 turbo in it and also hope that means at some point a "signature" variant will show up with it. It'll have a hell of a price tag, have AWD, and not be offered with a manual so not calling it Mazdaspeed seems fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yes the current shape 3 (as the Axela) is available in AWD and manual on the bigger diesel.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
My salesman friend at work said no AWD + manual. Manual is only available with FWD and hatchback according to him when I asked the other day

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hello Mazda people,

I have a few questions. We're driving a 2008 VW Golf right now and next year we'll be upgrading the car. The favorites boil down to the 2017 and 2019 Mazda 3 sedan. I'll be test driving a 2017 model soon but I have a couple of questions to people who know them for more than a couple of minutes:

1.) Interior & road noise
How does the 2017 Mazda 3 compare to other brands in terms of interior niceness and road noise? I fear that I'm pretty pampered with my VW. Then again it's 10 years later now and the Mazda is a little more expensive, so maybe it's actually nicer. How's the noise in particular?

The new engines
I read that Mazda is committing to petrol engines and have developed a pretty neat new thing, the Skyactive-X. It supposedly combines the best of both Diesel and petrol engines, leading to high power and low consumption. That is super attractive to me. Are there any experiences with how reliable and faulty these engines are? Would I be a beta tester if I got a car with one of these engines?

Are there things to look out for?
I'm under the impression that Mazda in general build very reliable cars that just work, while being fun to ride and looking nicely. But are there some kinks and issues that I should expect?

Those damned touchscreens?
I haven't ever sat in a car with a touch screen or media center yet. Is there any way to fold them up or stow away in the Mazda? Other manufacturers have integrated them in the dash that they're effectively out of side and protected from the sun. But in the current Mazda, they're sticking out of the dash and I imagine when the sun shines on them, they'll be very hard to read. Any way to put them away?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I’ll offer my 2 cents: the road noise is not great, higher trims may help some but I don’t think the Mazda 3s are leading the pack in any way on that part. The 2019s could be different, don’t think anyone knows for sure yet.

The Skyactiv-X is brand new, so I’d assume yes, you’d be something of a beta tester if you buy the first model with it.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The touchscreen on the 17 does not go down at all, but I haven't had a hard time seeing it when it's sunny.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

The Aardvark posted:

The touchscreen on the 17 does not go down at all, but I haven't had a hard time seeing it when it's sunny.

Turn the brightness up

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The 3 is transitioning into a new fourth generation with the 2019 models and with that are some unanswered questions: Road noise is an unknown but Mazda has said the new body/suspension is supposed to dampen noise more over the outgoing third generation. The third generation is a pretty noisy ride but the driving dynamics are great otherwise.

The SkyactivX engine with spark controlled compression ignition is the other big unknown. It won't be available initially which suggests all the kinks haven't been worked out yet. In theory if it works well you'll get the best of both gasoline and diesel engines: High efficiency and assloads of torque. The current SkyactivG engines are pretty bullet proof and the 2.5L makes a good pair with the 3 in terms of power/weight ratios.

Some people will whine about Mazda's being vulnerable to body rust but I don't think that's been an actual issue for any Kodo styled bodies which includes the third generation Mazda3 and beyond.

Touchscreen visibility hasn't been an issue for me mostly because it's bright and the interior is enclosed enough the sun doesn't get much opportunity to shine on it. The fourth generation is even more enclosed so I don't see this being an issue.

Also forgot to mention: These cars are available with manual transmissions and the automatics aren't horrible CVT slush boxes where power goes to die.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 2, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I’ll offer my 2 cents: the road noise is not great, higher trims may help some but I don’t think the Mazda 3s are leading the pack in any way on that part.

If anything it’s the other way around - most of the noise is from the tyres and the 18”s on the higher spec cars are a lot noisier than the 16”s on more basic models.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I'd say it's a safe bet that the 2019 3 will be much quieter than the outgoing model since all the new versions of their other models (6, Cx-5, Cx-9) have much better noise mitigation.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Quoting myself from the chat thread but perhaps some ideas here:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Beater Mazda6 is giving me heart palpitations. It was a cold morning (about 15 degrees) and this is a car that is parked outside. It started up fine, but the strange thing is by the time I got to the main road out of my neighborhood (~3/4 mile) the engine was up to temp. That is not common, the needle usually moves but not to middle of the gauge. I was watching it like a hawk to see if it was going to creep any higher and it didn't. Another half mile down the road every light but oil and battery came on (ABS/TCS/air bag/seat belt) and tach/speedometer when wonky for a second and it did not want to downshift. I had my OS moment and flipped a u-turn and drove directly back home. Turned off the lights and the window defroster. Lights went off except air bag :thunk:

This has to be a borked alternator that I just swapped out, right? I am going to check my fluids when I get home, but the whole thing just trips me out. I don't care to swap out the alternator because that is an easy job. I just don't want this to be a rats nest of poo poo to untangle.

I swapped my alternator just last week. It hasn't given me a hint of problems since the swap until this morning. I have replaced the alternator a few times over but these symptoms (crazy lights) is a first.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Anecdotal, of course, but when my battery went out on my MS3 it behaved very strangely. I guess this was my first semi-modern car, but the HID headlights flickered, interior lights acted strangely, and I think the gauge cluster probably lit up like a Christmas tree.

Check your battery, too?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Quoting myself from the chat thread but perhaps some ideas here:

I swapped my alternator just last week. It hasn't given me a hint of problems since the swap until this morning. I have replaced the alternator a few times over but these symptoms (crazy lights) is a first.

Seconding the battery idea.

My wife's first (2003) Mazda 6 crapped out in a similar manner - driving at highway speed, all of a sudden the gauges went haywire and the lights on the dash started illuminating randomly. Just needed to clean the battery terminals and it went away.

Also haven't forgotten about the alternator I PM'd you about, just need to dig it out and find an adequate sized box to ship it in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Corksport has just announced they are releasing a new and updated FMIC kit for the MS6 and are hinting that more parts are coming. That definitely makes me want to hang onto the car as CS are pretty much the best when it comes to Mazda specific parts.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Battery is pretty new (I think about a year old). I doubt it’s related to the issue. I know some new cars are very sensitive to battery voltage (hello E90 M3 stablemate with $500 battery jobs). Pretty sure the alternator is dickered, probably the voltage regulator on it. I did some reading about that specifically and found others have very similar problems I did. I should be able to yank it out and get it to oreilly to swap before they close at 10.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Looks like my Mazda3 will be sold early next year, to make room for a TM3... This'll be weird.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

*Update* on the Beater6. I exchanged the alternator on the way home. I had them test the replacement on the machine before leaving and they ran it three times with a pass each time. Installation was easy as I just did this a week ago. Battery was dead so I jumped the car and it hummed away at normal idle. No lights, checked voltage at the battery and was reading a steady ~14.3-14.5. I let the car warm up for a few minutes and then jumped in to take off. Got to the end of my street all good. Turned and then it made a weird lurch and up shifted two gears anything but smoothly. Head lights dimmed then went normal. Lights inside dimmed then went normal. Turned right around and idled in my driveway. Again reading normal voltage. Turned the car off, checked voltage; normal ~12.7 reading. Started the car, normal voltage again.

I turned on lights and the blower w/defrost to kick the AC compressor and all so it had a load. Still normal voltage. Then I revved the engine and that is when things got REAL wonky. The headlights went bright, then dim, I got voltage reading on the meter as high as 18.5V. I have never seen that before - what is going on? There has to be some sort of wonky connection on my wiring harness, right? I am so over this thing. Replacements in similar condition locally are trading at ~2k. If I can find an easy fix great, I will probably fix it and sell it. If not there is a decent mechanic I might take it to and I expect $500-700 for it to become his problem to make it work. Then sell the thing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd start checking grounds personally. I'd also check for the main alternator wire shorting against something.

Also, dear holy gently caress the person who designed the cooling system on the 1st gen v6 mazda 6. It was puking steam sunday night after overheating and had been seeping from the upper seam where the core joins the plastic end tank. I ordered in a new radiator and tore down the front end of the car on monday, then put in the radiator on tuesday and noticed one of the nipples on the heater hose that feeds the throttle body heating circuit was snapped off, probably explaining why it was puking steam everywhere. Now to grab the bits I need at work and bypass the throttle body completely because I live in florida and it doesn't loving freeze here.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hello thread, I have my test drive coming up. They informed that they don't have the Mazda 3 sedan so I can't drive that one. Instead they want to show me the hatchback. Does anyone know whether there are any perceptible differences between the two if you're driving?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hello thread, I have my test drive coming up. They informed that they don't have the Mazda 3 sedan so I can't drive that one. Instead they want to show me the hatchback. Does anyone know whether there are any perceptible differences between the two if you're driving?

In terms of engineering, handling, acceleration, they are the same underneath. No differences at all.
However, the HB has more cargo room and a windscreen wiper on the rear window.

I have the HB and just like the look of it. :shrug:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Hatchback supremacy

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hi thread! Well, since I have the other two types of Mazdas, I recently got a 2018 3 hatchback Touring with a stick. I know the Skyactiv X thing is coming soon but I have had Experiences with first-year-of-generation Mazdas before and would prefer to wait a bit.

Honestly, the thing's kind of a hoot for what it is - it's replacing my bugeye WRX and not as fast in a straight line, but then the WRX cost twice as much to run in terms of gas. Talked the dealer down under S Plan price and all's good. Apparently it's late enough it has the Android Auto updates too, so yay.

Some day I'll remember to take pictures when it's not raining or night time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The hatch is a bit noisier too but other than that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from behind the wheel.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Well, I've been dragging my feet on getting my Speed3 up for sale for a while and it bit me in the rear end, as the VVT death noise has suddenly gone from debatable to obvious and nasty, and the tire I've been nursing through a slow leak has become a medium leak.

It wouldn't make any sense to sell it in this shape and lose my dick on it, so I guess I'll just fix it up and keep it for another couple of years until I can swap it for an EV.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The GPS quit working in my ‘15 3. The map loads in Nav, but lat/long position shows as 0,0.

Apparently there’s a GPS connector on the CMU. Maybe that came loose? Maybe the GPS antenna went bad? Those appear to be $50.

Mostly I’m nervous about popping off trim to access the CMU, especially the skinny piano-black strip attached to the vent pod.

Any tips or ideas?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If you end up cracking it open you might as well buy the extra cable and USB hub needed to put Carplay / Android in and install that while you're in there...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If you end up cracking it open you might as well buy the extra cable and USB hub needed to put Carplay / Android in and install that while you're in there...

I’ve considered it, but would I lose all of my MazdaAIO tweaks? I like some of the quality of life improvements like address entry while moving.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve considered it, but would I lose all of my MazdaAIO tweaks? I like some of the quality of life improvements like address entry while moving.

If you get android auto/carplay...you never have to use the mazda nav again. I did it to my wife's car, super worth it. Plus the USB port is high current so it will actually charge her phone now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The only downside is Carplay nav can't interface with the HUD in the car (was nice seeing directions there stock).

Actually there is another downside, while Google Maps does work with Carplay hitting the nav button always opens Apple Maps which has a nice UI but isn't usable for actual directions in my part of the world.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
That happens even if you get rid of it on your phone? It’s inferior no matter where you live, afaik.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Is there a post-android-auto-update tweak so the touchscreen works as a touchscreen?

Never had the problem of apple maps coming up but then again I don't have an inferior phone, so.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

I'll probably get AA/CarPlay for my wife's CX-5 because it's only a GS model.
My 3 has the navigation on the heads-up display and I don't want to lose that because it's cool and poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

That happens even if you get rid of it on your phone? It’s inferior no matter where you live, afaik.

Apple Maps is totally fine in the Bay Area, I switched almost immediately and it was rough to start but has been perfectly usable for years.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Dogeh posted:

I'll probably get AA/CarPlay for my wife's CX-5 because it's only a GS model.
My 3 has the navigation on the heads-up display and I don't want to lose that because it's cool and poo poo.

You don't lose anything, you can still use the factory Nav if you prefer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I didn't think of that.

Just tried removing Apple Maps from the phone, now pressing the nav button pops up a dialogue box on the phone asking whether I'd like to reinstall it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

dissss posted:

I didn't think of that.

Just tried removing Apple Maps from the phone, now pressing the nav button pops up a dialogue box on the phone asking whether I'd like to reinstall it.

The "maps" button sends a maps URL to the phone and iPhones always treat that URL as Maps.app request even if it isn't installed. Until they allow us to set a default handler for maps URLs, it'll always call for Apple Maps when you press any carplay maps button. The likelihood of this happening is very low.