Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was content with Kamille, Judau and Amuro being three of the strongest Newtype individuals since the franchise has repeatedly tried to say "combat is not what Newtypes are inherently supposed to be for." Like, the concept of a fighting Newtype and how terrifying they could be was fine but pretty well explored. I'm just seriously tired of the franchise being LOOK WHAT THE NEWTYPES CAN DO NOW!

just make a UC Gundam where Newtypes are around but not necessarily the ace pilot/tool of war. I'm ready to see more civilian Newtype life, honestly. I fully understand my complaints don't really make sense in the giant robot franchise hellbent on finding excuses to make new robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shinjobi posted:

just make a UC Gundam where Newtypes are around but not necessarily the ace pilot/tool of war.

I mean, that's kind of F91 and Victory. Yea, Seabook and Uso are still ace pilots and tools for the war, but that they're Newtypes barely comes up and is more a footnote compared to the earlier UC protagonists.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can always take the tribe of newtype kids living in southeast asia (or don't, because you should have stopped watching 08th MS Team one episode earlier)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I was content with Kamille, Judau and Amuro being three of the strongest Newtype individuals since the franchise has repeatedly tried to say "combat is not what Newtypes are inherently supposed to be for." Like, the concept of a fighting Newtype and how terrifying they could be was fine but pretty well explored. I'm just seriously tired of the franchise being LOOK WHAT THE NEWTYPES CAN DO NOW!

just make a UC Gundam where Newtypes are around but not necessarily the ace pilot/tool of war. I'm ready to see more civilian Newtype life, honestly. I fully understand my complaints don't really make sense in the giant robot franchise hellbent on finding excuses to make new robots.

The interesting thing about Amuro as a Newtype is that, well, he's not typically shown to be the most impressive there. Better than Char, but not the top of the charts.

It's just that on top of being a pretty good Newtype, he was the greatest MS pilot alive. An ace pilot and a Newtype, rather than an ace pilot because he was a Newtype.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Shinjobi posted:

To hell with Newtypes, all of this new stuff takes their bullshit to ridiculous...er levels, and I'm just worn out by it.

Makes ya want more IBO, more connecting our brains to our giant robots cause the newtypes are taking our jerbs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I mean, that's kind of F91 and Victory. Yea, Seabook and Uso are still ace pilots and tools for the war, but that they're Newtypes barely comes up and is more a footnote compared to the earlier UC protagonists.

On the other hand, the entire endgame of Victory is about the weaponisation of Newtypes on the grandest and most horrifying level in the entire franchise, and F91 contains one of the most grotesque distortions of the Newtype concept - a Cyber-Newtype so heavily altered that he's all but entirely abandoned his humanity to become an alien war machine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah but how are you gonna sell the robots?

Solution: Newtype captain in charge of caring for a team of extremely skilled pilots with personality disorders (who are not themselves newtypes, mostly). Easy as poo poo, especially if you make the captain a hot lady.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

I don't really get why people think Char's Counterattack is any kind of bookend to early UC. It has nothing to say about most of the stuff raised in 0079, Zeta or ZZ; it's just an (in my opinion, unnecessary) resolution to Amuro and Char's story and not the story of UC up to that point. It doesn't say anything about Newtypes, Zeon or even about Contolism/Ereism despite it being part of Char's motive and which are the biggest points in UC outside those particular characters up to that point. I've always kind of liked Unicorn because it tried to say something about some of those; even if it didn't do a great job.

I dunno, Amuro and Char's entire last argument that spans the entirety of their final mobile suit battle and up to the point where Amuro pushes back Axis is basically about Contolism. Specifically, they both agree on the idea that humanity is best off moving into space, and their fundamental disagreement is in how, when, and how fast it needs to be done. Char wants it done RIGHT loving NOW because he has no faith in humanity and believes that people weighed down by gravity will delay humanity's apotheosis for long enough that Earth might be ruined in the meantime, so he wants to force the issue. Amuro believes that it will get done at some point when humans do it willingly, because he believes in humanity, and that even though he agrees with Char that Contolism is the ultimate way to go, he certainly doesn't agree that accelerating the time table is worth planetary destruction and genocide.

I also disagree that it says nothing about Newtypes. Newtypes in their pure, unexploited form are fundamentally meant to break down the barriers of communication and emotion that divide humans from each other. This is why basically every newtype relationship we ever see is founded on a deep, wordless understanding, why newtypes can sense each other so easily, and why it's so tragic when newtypes are exploited for war despite their boundless potential for peace and understanding. Amuro's final action in CCA is basically him using the Psycoframe to amplify his abilities in order to be able to connect with and communicate the will of humanity, writ large. In his own words, "That's why we have to show the world the light of the human heart."

The final action of the most famous newtype in the UC isn't to use his awesome newtype powers to shoot down a million mobile suits or beat the bad guy, it's to use his newtype abilities to join the wills of a whole lot of people together to save the planet. The statement CCA makes is that the most powerful ability of newtypes isn't awesome fighting powers or talking with ghosts, it's linking humans together. That's a pretty strong statement.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I dunno, Amuro and Char's entire last argument that spans the entirety of their final mobile suit battle and up to the point where Amuro pushes back Axis is basically about Contolism. Specifically, they both agree on the idea that humanity is best off moving into space, and their fundamental disagreement is in how, when, and how fast it needs to be done. Char wants it done RIGHT loving NOW because he has no faith in humanity and believes that people weighed down by gravity will delay humanity's apotheosis for long enough that Earth might be ruined in the meantime, so he wants to force the issue. Amuro believes that it will get done at some point when humans do it willingly, because he believes in humanity, and that even though he agrees with Char that Contolism is the ultimate way to go, he certainly doesn't agree that accelerating the time table is worth planetary destruction and genocide.

I also disagree that it says nothing about Newtypes. Newtypes in their pure, unexploited form are fundamentally meant to break down the barriers of communication and emotion that divide humans from each other. This is why basically every newtype relationship we ever see is founded on a deep, wordless understanding, why newtypes can sense each other so easily, and why it's so tragic when newtypes are exploited for war despite their boundless potential for peace and understanding. Amuro's final action in CCA is basically him using the Psycoframe to amplify his abilities in order to be able to connect with and communicate the will of humanity, writ large. In his own words, "That's why we have to show the world the light of the human heart."

The final action of the most famous newtype in the UC isn't to use his awesome newtype powers to shoot down a million mobile suits or beat the bad guy, it's to use his newtype abilities to join the wills of a whole lot of people together to save the planet. The statement CCA makes is that the most powerful ability of newtypes isn't awesome fighting powers or talking with ghosts, it's linking humans together. That's a pretty strong statement.

I mean, 'talking with ghosts' is just an extension of the whole 'linking humans together' thing. Why only create harmony and understanding among those currently living?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Nessus posted:

Yeah but how are you gonna sell the robots?

Solution: Newtype captain in charge of caring for a team of extremely skilled pilots with personality disorders (who are not themselves newtypes, mostly). Easy as poo poo, especially if you make the captain a hot lady.

Hmm. There've been a handful of oldtype pilot protagonists, but how often have we seen non-pilot newtypes? That could be an interesting avenue to go down as long as it isn't completely beholden to the trope of the mecha pilot who has to protect his magical princess waifu.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

HitTheTargets posted:

Hmm. There've been a handful of oldtype pilot protagonists, but how often have we seen non-pilot newtypes? That could be an interesting avenue to go down as long as it isn't completely beholden to the trope of the mecha pilot who has to protect his magical princess waifu.

Well, Victory had Shakti who was a powerful Newtype who didn't fight, as well as her mom the Queen of Zanscare.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mineva is a newtype and not a pilot

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, the entire endgame of Victory is about the weaponisation of Newtypes on the grandest and most horrifying level in the entire franchise, and F91 contains one of the most grotesque distortions of the Newtype concept - a Cyber-Newtype so heavily altered that he's all but entirely abandoned his humanity to become an alien war machine.

I agree with this.

Victory does have a lot to say about newtypes for various reasons. The term itself comes up as legendary as the Gundam itself, especially since there hasn't been a major notable conflict or ware since F91 (and even then, F91 and Crossbone's events were pretty isolated to the point where people probably just watched the news and reacted with a blank "that kinda sucks"). But they still exist in the form of Queen Maria even without conflict, and Uso awakens his abilities in battle in a unique fashion (Uso is interesting in the sense that I think he's Earth born and spent a significant part of his life on Earth; it's been a year or so since I've rewatched the series didn't he start awakening his abilities on Earth as well?), and the Angel Halo is legit the worst, most astronomically frightening example of newtype technology in the entire UC.

NT spoilers if that summary is accurate on this detail, this actually makes Minerva being like "we need to erase psycho-frame data!" a bit depressing; instead of the psycho-frame, everyone goes back to using Bio-computers or psycommus and it ends up being even worse.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MechaX posted:

NT spoilers if that summary is accurate on this detail, this actually makes Minerva being like "we need to erase psycho-frame data!" a bit depressing; instead of the psycho-frame, everyone goes back to using Bio-computers or psycommus and it ends up being even worse.

I checked some Japanese spoiler pages just to make sure and while that was a rather generous paraphrasing, her actual quote is still to the effect of sealing away the secrets of the Unicorn and psycho-frame.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, 'talking with ghosts' is just an extension of the whole 'linking humans together' thing. Why only create harmony and understanding among those currently living?

People who are currently alive tend to be substantially more important to cultivate harmonious relationships between, given that people who are alive can make decisions that can make other people dead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

People who are currently alive tend to be substantially more important to cultivate harmonious relationships between, given that people who are alive can make decisions that can make other people dead.

Finale of Zeta says the dead can still loving murder you if they choose.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

I checked some Japanese spoiler pages just to make sure and while that was a rather generous paraphrasing, her actual quote is still to the effect of sealing away the secrets of the Unicorn and psycho-frame.

What if they just lock it away in a really hard to find box?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Finale of Zeta says the dead can still loving murder you if they choose.

Provided that they're being channeled through a ghost robot by the power of an angry psychic boy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Provided that they're being channeled through a ghost robot by the power of an angry psychic boy.

Yeah, but it's Gundam. You're going to run into one of those every time you turn the corner.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If you build a Gundam, the angry psychic boys will come.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Just popping in to say that I am still enjoying Gundam DW 3 and F91is ridiculously fun to use.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

What if they just lock it away in a really hard to find box?
Like a Mountain Cycle, perhaps?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Just popping in to say that I am still enjoying Gundam DW 3 and F91is ridiculously fun to use.

You tried the Zephyranthes? That has a similarly satisfying moveset. As does the Hyaku-Shiki, actually, because they decided for some reason that that thing should move like a loving ninja.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Heck I greatly enjoyed the F91 in DWG2 as well, it's a solid machine. Though I'm also a fan of the GP01 in these too...just not with Kou inside of it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Banana Links ruined newtypes forever.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'd like seeing more Newtype superpowers in a follow up to Gundam X, but I agree there's not much more to do with them in the UC.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Banagher is a million times worse then Kira.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Banagher doesn't cry as much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Banagher does have that scene where he snaps and beats the poo poo out of Zinnerman. That's pretty fun.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kira is worse than Banagher, but that's only because Kira in destiny is the worst protagonist(?) ever. Only Kio gives Kira a run for his money.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Banagher doesn't cry as much.

As much as Kira gets memed on really hard for the dying dolphin sobbing, most of the times when Kira cried were pretty sensible places for a teenager forced into his position to cry. Early SEED Kira's life was a nightmare that wouldn't stop. You could make a strong argument that he had it worse off than OYW Amuro did.

Monaghan posted:

Kira is worse than Banagher, but that's only because Kira in destiny is the worst protagonist(?) ever. Only Kio gives Kira a run for his money.

I actually think this is debatable. Kira in Destiny is a deeply terrible character and Kio is insufferable, but Banagher is a blank wall of nothing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
But even so!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

I actually think this is debatable. Kira in Destiny is a deeply terrible character and Kio is insufferable, but Banagher is a blank wall of nothing.
I get where you're coming from, but I think Kira dragged destiny down way more since it created actual confusion as to who the protgonist was.

. Kira kept making dumbass decisions like doing the interventions in fights that he never really gets called on and the show itself seems to suggest is a good idea. Then we have him interfering in the Orb fight which allows a genocidal monster to get away and kill millions of people. But nope, show can't show Kira was wrong.

This constant problem warped Shinn into a character with a ton of potential into an incoherent raging moron. Durandal turned from this Machiavellian manipulator with grey morality to a guy just sitting on the goddamn emperors chair, because we gotta have Kira's actions against him be justified. Banagher did dumb poo poo, but he didn't actively ruin the characters and plot around him. Zinnerman and Marida and Doguza were still interesting. The overall plot of Unicorn was pretty good

The whole show bending over backwards to demonstrate that kira was always right just destroyed Destiny IMO,

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 3, 2018

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I particularly like the episode where Djibril wipes out a bunch of colonies with the bendy moon laser and the closing scene is Kira and Lacus saying 'Yes, Durandal must be stopped'.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

I particularly like the episode where Djibril wipes out a bunch of colonies with the bendy moon laser and the closing scene is Kira and Lacus saying 'Yes, Durandal must be stopped'.

BOATH SIDES :byodood:

This was my most hated thing about Seed in a narrative sense. "Both sides are bad, so lets whip up a deus ex superweapon that lets us dunk on them without dealing with the fact that more often than not you are stuck between two lovely options and your only realistic option is to pick the least lovely and throw sand in the gears of their worst ideas." The only reason the Cline faction managed to do jack or poo poo to OMNI and ZAFT is that they had some bugfuck crazy tech they stole from ZAFT.

Seed would have been better if the protagonists had just gotten clowned because they didn't think their situation through and just decided to treat the war like a Dynasty Warriors game. The Plants get nuked to high hell and Earth is sterilized by gamma ray burst.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Warmachine posted:

Seed would have been better if the protagonists had just gotten clowned because they didn't think their situation through and just decided to treat the war like a Dynasty Warriors game. The Plants get nuked to high hell and Earth is sterilized by gamma ray burst.

Speaking of, it was great seeing Kira get called on his poo poo when he barges into battles in DW Gundam.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Remember when the Minerva almost got sunk by a combined Earth Alliance/Orb Fleet, and when Athrun tried to ask what in the gently caress Kira is even thinking because the Minerva crew is literally fighting for their survival, and Kira is like “but Cagalli’s crying!!”

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Off the topic of my distaste for Seed, but when can we expect to see the first episode of Narrative on Gundaminfo? The 20-minute teaser is great and all, but I wanna be in on the spoilers drat it! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Banagher is so loving empty. He doesn't exist as anything other than a plot device.