Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Asimo posted:

Note that if someone drops and a new person comes in the order might get shuffled around. It's a rare enough case that it probably won't matter in practice though.

You can just go into the party list and click "Sort party"! :eng101: The <2> thing is pretty elegant, if more rigid. Though that shouldn't even be a problem, since I usually preface my support macros with something like "/ac "Cover" <t>" so i can still select a party member manually if I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Nobody wants to do maps on Siren and it is killing me. I need to get off this fuckin' server.

I'm on Siren and a group of buddies and I ran maps for like 5 hours last night. You just gotta make friends.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Asimo posted:

Note that if someone drops and a new person comes in the order might get shuffled around. It's a rare enough case that it probably won't matter in practice though.

You can sort the party list automagically.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Great White Hope! posted:

I'm on Siren and a group of buddies and I ran maps for like 5 hours last night. You just gotta make friends.

Well, gently caress. I look on the party finder for maps and that's about all I know to do. My FC is just some trash pile I joined so I could get access to a chocobo stable, so I don't have much to network with. :shrug:

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 4, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Not nice to call PBC a trash pile!

Though fair.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm not in PBC, I'm in some FC on Siren that had open recruitment.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
You haven't seen trash tier FCs until you've seen mine on Lamia.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

faptown posted:

You haven't seen trash tier FCs until you've seen mine on Lamia.

Lets start our own trash Lamia FC

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

Lets start our own trash Lamia FC

Sorry I should have been more specific. It is mine. You're welcome to join us if you want. In game name is Posasa Posa.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
So just receieved my EE vol. 2. Is a code supposed to be inside the book like the first one? I didn't have a loose code in my book when I receieved it so was curious if they were doing codes differently now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got mine today, it's in the book.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Renegret posted:

As a current and forever BLM main, that's your healer's problem, not the tank.

So you're asking to be rescued, right? Guess you didn't REALLY want to cast that third F4 for the last umbral ice charge after all... (I play BLM a lot, I'd never actually do that. If I was a more cruel person though, I absolutely know the timing to make the poor bastard drop their astral fire).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So it's kinda goofy how Fordola got the full "Warrior of Light Experience" using her pseudo-Echo, and came away with a response of "HOW COULD YOU DEAL WITH IT?!" Like, deal with what? Winning all the fights (except for like twice)? I guess a couple people died, but I feel like Fordola is kinda outdoing the WoL on the "tragic backstory" front.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

the Warrior of Light had to personally deal with their own invasion of garlemald, everyone surrounding the Ul'dah Banquet, having to personally resolve the Dragonsong War, and has basically been called on time and time again to pull everyone's asses out of the fire.

iirc this does in fact get brought up in the DRK storyline, but that poo poo can wear you down.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monathin posted:

the Warrior of Light had to personally deal with their own invasion of garlemald, everyone surrounding the Ul'dah Banquet, having to personally resolve the Dragonsong War, and has basically been called on time and time again to pull everyone's asses out of the fire.

iirc this does in fact get brought up in the DRK storyline, but that poo poo can wear you down.

Yeah, I've actually done that DRK storyline, but I still feel like "being worn down from the constant work of kicking rear end" isn't as bad as having had loved ones killed or involving yourself in the murder of innocents or whatever. Like, most random people in these wars have had experiences at least as harrowing.

vvv It was explicitly mentioned how the people guarding her cell would have had friends/family brutally killed by the Skulls, so for Fordola is basically experiencing first-hand the effects of her actions.

I actually like Fordola as a character, because her actions are not that unreasonable given her experience. Like, she's a bad guy, but it's totally reasonable for someone with her life experience to think that directly opposing the Empire is a dead-end, and she apparently grouped up with other like-minded youths who had never lived in un-occupied Ala Mhigo.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 4, 2018

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The impression I got was that while the WoL has the occasional flashback to the other person's (frequently traumatic) experiences due to the echo, Fordola basically gets those constantly, for drat near anyone she meets. This is something of a downside when 90% of the people you're encountering on a daily basis were brutally subjugated by your former masters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It took me less time to get level 50, get all 50 logos actions and get my weapon than it did to just get through freaking Pagos.

What a hellscape that was. Pyros isn't great but it's so much better.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I've actually done that DRK storyline, but I still feel like "being worn down from the constant work of kicking rear end" isn't as bad as having had loved ones killed or involving yourself in the murder of innocents or whatever. Like, most random people in these wars have had experiences at least as harrowing.

The WoL has:
  • Lost people they cared about
  • Been an indirect cause for the murder of innocents
  • Been a direct cause for the murder of innocents The Waking Sands raid
  • Killed misguided people The post-Archbishop Ishgard Coup
  • Mercy killed enthralled people
  • First hand experience with an Assassination Plot
  • - Not to mention being framed for it
  • Seen people sacrifice themselves for their own wellbeing
  • - Four of which are capital D Dead
  • Been involved in approximately three and a half wars by now
  • Been at ground zero of Serious poo poo(tm) in them
  • - Twice
  • -- In two different wars even
  • Has met and interacted with two different tribes of Moogle, neither of which are street smart nor are capable of slam-dancing. (Not to mention all of the DRK story stuff that is excellent.)

Fordola has had experiences at least as harrowing as the stuff on the list (hint: she gave orders that caused one instance of Serious poo poo(tm) above) but not the sheer amount of it. And she did kinda get all of that with her crazy unfiltered memory scan powers.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 4, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just the moogles alone is enough trauma to make up for a lifetime of therapy.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of what you're talking about here is why Fordola reacts the way she does. Think about her situation: she never had the power to oppose the Empire directly, her entire goal, the entire thing expected of her, was to keep her head down and do as ordered, and maybe she could buy her people's liberty - however manufactured - at the price of her own loyalty.

And then you come along. Hero of the Dragonsong War, Eikon-Slayer, Hydaelyn's Chosen, and half a dozen other titles besides. Because you've kicked so much rear end, the expectations of you are beyond what she could imagine. Glimpsing into your past and seeing everything the WoL's had to deal with, personally, while having been the sole hope of a country's worth of people four times over. And people still expect the world of you - it's bad enough when Nero, of all people, points out that you are not an inexhaustible superweapon, and that people need to find a more permanent solution.

Sure, people have had just as harrowing experiences as you, but none of them come close to the experiences you've had to deal with while being the literal Champion of the People, with all the expectations that entails.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 4, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ytlaya posted:

having had loved ones killed
You may forget, for a time.

But not for long.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

The WoL has:
  • Been involved in approximately three and a half wars by now
  • Been at ground zero of Serious poo poo(tm) in them
  • - Twice
  • -- In two different wars even

Wars: The Invasion of Eorzea in 1.X, Dragonsong War, Liberation of Ala Mhigo, Liberation of Doma (the half war?)

Serious poo poo: Fall of Dalamud / Bahamut / the Calamity, and the Final Steps of Faith?

Just trying to see what you're referring to by these - because even some of the lesser magnitude stuff that doesn't make the list could have been really harrowing to most folks (and you touch on a lot of that in your other points), but to me the worst thing is even though the WoL has been at ground zero for so many horrible catastrophes and battles, they literally can't save everyone. They can and do save tons of people, but the people they couldn't save from Nidhogg, Bahamut, Zenos, Gaius, Thordan, all of the primals, the Ascians, et al., are the thing that would really stick in my craw. I choose to believe that's the weight the WoL is carrying in the SB2 trailer, and why they look so ragged before getting stepped on by a Kuribu (which'll perk up anyone, I guess).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nessus posted:

You may forget, for a time.

But not for long.

:qq: :qq: :qq:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm looking forward to replaying some of these story segments in New Game + because I can't remember half of what everyone is talking about.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is every warrior of light someone that experienced Dalamud? I thought the implication was that only 1.0 peeps were from that era, the others just happened to show up once ARR started.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not sure on that and that's one reason I tried to list out what I thought were the wars and ground zeros, because I could easily be forgetting something obvious. There's a lot of heavy poo poo the WoL's been through even since 2.0.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Azubah posted:

Is every warrior of light someone that experienced Dalamud? I thought the implication was that only 1.0 peeps were from that era, the others just happened to show up once ARR started.

Everyone of adventuring age in Eorzea experienced the fall of Dalamud and the Calamity, even if they weren't veterans of Carteneau. The 1.0 people were a special case where Louisoix sent them forwards in time, but the new batch of WoLs are people who survived the Calamity and were then chosen by Hydaelyn.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Azubah posted:

I think the implication was always that the ARR WoL was always the hero from 1.x even if you weren't around to personally play it (mainly from the airship cutscene where Cid recognizes you).

OG players just get a bonus neck tattoo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey, I haven't played this game in a few years but I'm kind of getting the MMO itch again. A question I have (because the website is full of impossible to decipher directions) is, if I reactivate, can I transfer to Excalibur? My current toons are on Exodus.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Marathanes posted:

Serious poo poo: Fall of Dalamud

Well, my WoL wasn't that for that one because he's a 2.0 baby. :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

No you can't. Not because of restrictions, but because you said "toons". We don't need your kind around here. :colbert:

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Well, gently caress. I look on the party finder for maps and that's about all I know to do. My FC is just some trash pile I joined so I could get access to a chocobo stable, so I don't have much to network with. :shrug:

Add me. Osha Approved. I'll get you into my LS that does hunts and maps. I feel you on the FC front tho. The majority of FCs are underwhelming on this server. I'm in one with like 5 irl friends.

KoB
May 1, 2009

hi liter posted:

Hey, I haven't played this game in a few years but I'm kind of getting the MMO itch again. A question I have (because the website is full of impossible to decipher directions) is, if I reactivate, can I transfer to Excalibur? My current toons are on Exodus.

You can transfer for like $15 bucks or wait until like Jan/March for a free transfer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

hi liter posted:

Yeah but you'll have to pay money. I think there's going to be a major reorganization soon, though, where you might be able to do it for free.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monathin posted:

And then you come along. Hero of the Dragonsong War, Eikon-Slayer, Hydaelyn's Chosen, and half a dozen other titles besides. Because you've kicked so much rear end, the expectations of you are beyond what she could imagine. Glimpsing into your past and seeing everything the WoL's had to deal with, personally, while having been the sole hope of a country's worth of people four times over. And people still expect the world of you - it's bad enough when Nero, of all people, points out that you are not an inexhaustible superweapon, and that people need to find a more permanent solution.

Sure, people have had just as harrowing experiences as you, but none of them come close to the experiences you've had to deal with while being the literal Champion of the People, with all the expectations that entails.

That's true; it's also easy to feel a low sense of danger when you know the protagonist is going to live, but in some hypothetical "this were actually happening" world, the WoL would presumably not be certain of their victory against all opponents.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

This game is great. Why did I ever go back to WoW? This question will surely haunt me on my deathbed.

I actually had a lot of fun just playing though the post-Praetorium MSQ and doing my roulettes, so now that I'm finally in Heavenward getting new abilities, I imagine the fun will only go way up. (I originally stopped playing right after Crystal Tower was patched into the game.)

I'm mostly playing as a Warrior, which rules, but Red Mage is fun as heck too. For some reason I get tons of commendations when I play RDM too. It must be the hat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

That's true; it's also easy to feel a low sense of danger when you know the protagonist is going to live, but in some hypothetical "this were actually happening" world, the WoL would presumably not be certain of their victory against all opponents.
I think in-universe thus far any time you died in a fight, it's actually an alternate Echo scenario you newtyped out.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Marathanes posted:

Serious poo poo: Fall of Dalamud / Bahamut / the Calamity, and the Final Steps of Faith?

Don't forget Aurum Vale. And Hildebrand.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Fordola saw every bad party you’ve been a part of but she’s actually horrified when she realizes it was you all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rainuwastaken posted:

And Hildebrand.

I know this is probably a joke, but considering that the Hildibrand questlines have involved a near zombie apocalypse, someone almost restarting the Dragonsong War just for fight lust, and a guy who is involved in the flesh trade, this isn't incorrect.