Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

taser rates posted:

mark herman is awful at rulebooks

Yeup.

Jejoma posted:

Where does Fire in the Lake sit on a scale of Falling Sky to Pendragon, in terms of rules complexity / weight?

Second most complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

blackmongoose posted:

Someone hasn't heard of United States v. Approximately 64,695 Pounds of Shark Fins

It's a little harder to spin that one as being a dispute over Hammurabi's Code though.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

blackmongoose posted:

Someone hasn't heard of United States v. Approximately 64,695 Pounds of Shark Fins

I like United States v. One Tyrannosaurus Bataar Skeleton

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Tokyo Metro is very mathy, just like an 18xx although that is where the similarities end. I wouldn't play it with more than three at least not for awhile. It's an interesting game, just wish someone who knows how to actually write rules and make game boards would publish it. The cloth poo poo is poo poo, had to buy a plexiglass sheet to make the game playable.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

rchandra posted:

United States versus Approximately 450 Ancient Cuneiform Tablets sounds like it came from the Simpsons.

What was Hobby Lobby going to do with these, anyway? Have the owner loot them out of the company?

https://www.museumofthebible.org/

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

TheNakedJimbo posted:

"United States versus Approximately 450 Ancient Cuneiform Tablets" is objectively the best name ever for a court case.

Edit: TNJ, you moron, refresh the thread before commenting :saddowns:

yet both posts leave out that the full name is "United States versus Approximately 450 Ancient Cuneiform Tablets AND Approximately 3000 Ancient Clay Bullae"

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Are there any legit good roll&move games?

A little late to the party, but Stefan Feld's Merlin is a roll and move in the sense that you roll dice and move pawns the number of spaces on the dice. Really, though, it's a dice allocation game with a rondel.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Stefan Feld's Merlin is good?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

discount cathouse posted:

I like United States v. One Tyrannosaurus Bataar Skeleton

Forfeiture cases have the best names:

United States of America v. 17 Pallets of DOT 1.3G Fireworks Weighing Approximately 15,384 Pounds
USA v. Colt M203 40 MM Grenade Launcher et al

Or for a topical cross-post with GBS:

United States of America vs. 89.9270303 Bitcoins, more or less, seized from a Trezor Virtual Currency Wallet.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 6, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

Tokyo Metro is very mathy, just like an 18xx although that is where the similarities end. I wouldn't play it with more than three at least not for awhile. It's an interesting game, just wish someone who knows how to actually write rules and make game boards would publish it. The cloth poo poo is poo poo, had to buy a plexiglass sheet to make the game playable.
I will die on the hill of folded cloth maps being cool, good, and immersive to gameplay. But I will concede that all cloth maps should be rugs instead.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

al-azad posted:

Treasure Island

Unfortunately the learning experience was anything but smooth. While we were graciously taught by an Enforcer, the rules themselves are horrendously laid out and poorly written.

I just got this in today, and they didn't even pretend to have a native English speaker proofread the rules.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Speaking of weird licensing, I can't believe anyone still wants to work with Harmony Gold over Robotech knowing their reputation for being flaky and litigious. There were two or three Robotech games at the con by at least two separate publishers.

Also, did the Jordan Draper Tokyo games ship? I couldn't resist and bought them all but there's no reviews up for the games beyond the print and play versions. Tokyo Metro is a pretty handsome production but wooooooooobooooooooy the rules could've used a lot of work clarifying things and using specific language. Still I'm excited to play it because it has the same kind of few-rules/high-complexity that a Splotter game does. Any game where you bid for turn order is going to fly well in my group.

Yeah, the Tokyo Series games shipped a couple weeks back, got mine. Jordan is a great game designer, but you're absolutely right that his rulebooks need work. Its a small blessing, but he's super responsive to rules questions on Twitter and BGG at least.

al-azad posted:

Much like a Splotter game Tokyo Metro makes many unfortunate design choices and will never change because the designer likes it. I would never introduce this to a colorblind person, this game where cyan and teal are adjacent colors.

That's not entirely Jordan's fault...he kept to the actual colors of the Tokyo train lines. Everything is double coded though; the train lines all have letters and numbers, and the actions all have symbols.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

United States of America v. 17 Pallets of DOT 1.3G Fireworks Weighing Approximately 15,384 Pounds

United States of America vs. 89.9270303 Bitcoins, more or less, seized from a Trezor Virtual Currency Wallet.
Why is an inanimate object a side in a court case? How does that work?

And I like the bitcoin one. Amount accurate to 10-7... more or less.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I make the comparison to Splotter because Indonesia may be the ugliest and most unwieldy game that's still really good but they'll never update the graphic style because they like the look. I understand wanting an authentic game but sometimes you gotta make concessions for playability.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pierzak posted:

Why is an inanimate object a side in a court case? How does that work?
Civil Forfeiture.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

I make the comparison to Splotter because Indonesia may be the ugliest and most unwieldy game that's still really good but they'll never update the graphic style because they like the look. I understand wanting an authentic game but sometimes you gotta make concessions for playability.

The colorblind comment didn’t make sense, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lawlicaust posted:

This one's my favorite:
United States v. One 6.5 Mm. Mannlicher-Carcano Military R., 250 F. Supp. 410 (N.D. Tex. 1966)
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/250/410/2341251/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

civil forfeiture involves a dispute between law enforcement and property such as a pile of cash or a house or a boat, such that the thing is suspected of being involved in a crime.
:911:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

The colorblind comment didn’t make sense, though.

Have you seen Tokyo Metro? The colors do not contrast at all and they all converge in the center in multiple points. Reading the map with 20/20 vision is a nightmare, I can't imagine someone with a vision impairment trying to do so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Have you seen Tokyo Metro? The colors do not contrast at all and they all converge in the center in multiple points. Reading the map with 20/20 vision is a nightmare, I can't imagine someone with a vision impairment trying to do so.

I want to again point out that the train lines are also coded with letters for each line and sequential numbers per station. The map would work in greyscale.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

After playing Mini Rails a few more times, I'm really appreciating the game. Mini Rails is the friendliest hyper-political board game I know. The game is a stock holding game stripped down to the bare minimum. Since there are almost zero mechanics involved in running a rail company, the value of each stock is mostly determined by player politics. But Mini Rails forces all players to gain six stocks, and the simple ruleset intersects to encourage players against holding too many multiples of the same stock. This ensures everyone will have overlapping ownership, and the various alliances that come with that. In most political games, shy people who are bad at political manipulation can end up all alone in the late game. But Mini Rails is set up so players practically have to have an ally at some point in the game, even if everything collapses into kingmaking on the last turn.

Plus, it's short enough to run a teaching game in half an hour.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure the board game map is easier to read than the actual real-life Tokyo metro map.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

I want to again point out that the train lines are also coded with letters for each line and sequential numbers per station. The map would work in greyscale.

It helps but the font is still small and then you run into the issue of cloth maps where the fabric isn't pure white. Being grayscale would actually be a benefit for better contrast especially in areas like Otemachi where two blues, a purple, and a dark green converge.

I'm a strong believer that anything that gets in the way of information should be smoothed over. People may scoff at 18xx for its Excel spreadsheet look but I could walk in on a game in the middle and follow the game from across the room.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure the board game map is easier to read than the actual real-life Tokyo metro map.

someone print this on a rug and put it on Kickstarter, pretty sure you'll make a quick million

(porg rug chat is the best part of the discord meta)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh yeah, I saw Pax Pamir at PAX and it is a handsome production for a prototype. Very clean map, contrasting colors, and large bold symbols on the cards. The "rug" map was simple and readable but still stylized.

A far cry from Phil loving Eklund's style. 1st edition Pax Pamir is fine by comparison but 2e is the refinement it needed.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The rulebook for lords of Hellas is the worst one I've seen. But not because it's hard to follow (that's Feudum, but that's the fault of the rules rather than the book) but because of how all over the place it is. Certain rules only appear in reminders, some only in examples, a rule for normal play only appears in the single player rules, and terminology used on certain sections is explained only in passing in what looks like a fluff section, etc etc. Every time I read it, or someone asks a rules question on the Facebook group, I just think, how loving hard can it actually be to write a rulebook, because apparently it's almost impossible?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

!Klams posted:

how loving hard can it actually be to write a rulebook?

It's incredibly hard.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

al-azad posted:

Is something going on with Catalyst? They had a huge booth but the only thing available was Dragonfire and some other Hasbro licensed games. I don't remember seeing any Shadowrun products and they had a couple boxes of their Battletech skirmish game.

I've asked them at three separate cons over the past year when the new Battletech box set was coming out to get a lot of shrugged shoulders.

This reminds me of Gencon 2017 when they had a box of The Duke in their coming soon display. I asked some booth trolls for more info and nobody knew anything. Then I was introduced to the owner of the company, surely he would know more. He had no clue, he just asked me my opinion of the art, which I said just looked like the artist stole Shadows of Mordor... What I'm saying is Catalyst may be a drug front, because they aren't really enthusiastic about games.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

taser rates posted:

mark herman is awful at rulebooks

:hai:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Casnorf posted:

It's incredibly hard.

Brains aren't meant to read the same thing over and over and then try to figure out the difference between what the brain knows and what's written. I must have proofread the Advanced Civ rules literally 20 times and I still missed some stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

someone print this on a rug and put it on Kickstarter, pretty sure you'll make a quick million

(porg rug chat is the best part of the discord meta)

Discord meta is porg > rug > trains > porg.

al-azad posted:

It helps but the font is still small and then you run into the issue of cloth maps where the fabric isn't pure white. Being grayscale would actually be a benefit for better contrast especially in areas like Otemachi where two blues, a purple, and a dark green converge.

I'm a strong believer that anything that gets in the way of information should be smoothed over. People may scoff at 18xx for its Excel spreadsheet look but I could walk in on a game in the middle and follow the game from across the room.

Nah

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Good god.

And yes, Indonesia's board is pretty tough from a functional perspective both in the stylised font they used and the decisions with the sizes of the territories with regard to what is going to end up on them. And then there's the business with the actual components...

I would imagine cloth maps being super thematic for certain games but wouldn't the fold lines get annoying and the way pieces kinda slip off them if it isn't perfectly flat?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's fabric MTG playmats, they can have pretty cool designs and seem to hold in shape pretty well. Couldn't tell you what they're made of, though, and I know they're kinda pricy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

A board game done as a play mat would be very very cool but probably very very expensive to make.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hate to keep ragging on Tokyo Metro but I'll post this as kind of a warning that maybe the game wasn't finalized yet. I posted a rules question on BGG and not only received conflicting answers, some people were playing flat out wrong for a year and didn't even realize. The last rules posted was the "beta" dated 12/26/2017 and a how-to-play video posted by the designer on 12/20/2017 where he says the rules are subject to change but, as far as I'm aware, doesn't conflict with the current "beta" rules.

I hope things are smoothed over as the rewards are shipped and Jordan Draper has another Kickstarter ending soon so I'm guessing he's busy between that and fulfillment.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Casnorf posted:

It's incredibly hard.

Mayveena posted:

Brains aren't meant to read the same thing over and over and then try to figure out the difference between what the brain knows and what's written. I must have proofread the Advanced Civ rules literally 20 times and I still missed some stuff.

Ok, fair play, I stand corrected. Apologies.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

!Klams posted:

Ok, fair play, I stand corrected. Apologies.

Hah, I was just using a Moneyball reference to make the short version of the point.

Writing a rulebook is teaching to a noninteractable audience. It's a lecture at best and you're bound to make wrong assumptions all along the process about who knows what when. Ever get lost in a classroom because the teacher didn't think to check if you knew all the background context behind the point he's making?

Making up rules is easy. Communicating those rules so that anyone but you can understand them is monumentally difficult, even if you are a tech writer by trade (I'm not). We've got a whole judicial system centered around interpreting rules some dudes wrote a while back and those guys spend their careers trying to parse it. What chance do game rulebook writers have?

I'm probably harping on this a bit, haha, and I don't really mean to. I just like to expand on what was initially a bit of a throwaway joke.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
There’s also the challenge of presenting the rules in a manner appropriate for teaching (casual tone, using extra words make the point clearly), and having a easily referenced, concise rulebook for questions during play. You can have two rulebooks to do this, but now you have generated a pile of work cross-referencing and making sure there is no contradictions during the revision process.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The greatest of rulebook sins is not having an index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No the worst is an index where there are a dozen or more pages listed for something like "Modifiers" or "Income" because SOMEONE thinks an index is a list of every single page where the word appears -- regardless of how briefly and heedless of context.

Want to know how Modifiers apply or remember how to calculate income? Have fun going on a wild goose chase, it's faster to just flip through it all yourself.