Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Christmas Chronicles is fine I’d rather watch it than The Santa Clause with fat Tim Allen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i loved both short circuit movies when i was a kid but goddamn short circuit 2 is uh something else (something not good). short circuit 1 and 1980s ally sheedy though :love:

“Los Locos kick your balls into outer space” is one of the greatest lines in movie history.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Queen Combat posted:

Wasn't it also shown that some people that watch a lot of gunplay movies get thumbnails with guns, those that watch stand ups get smiling people, etc?

Which sucks, because it deliberately sabotages your ability to get any information about what you're watching from the thumbnail.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Jose Oquendo posted:

“Los Locos kick your balls into outer space” is one of the greatest lines in movie history.

im glad fisher stevens redeemed himself by being the plague in hackers.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Christmas Chronicles is fine I’d rather watch it than The Santa Clause with fat Tim Allen.

I still maintain that The Santa Clause is just a horror movie that's set during Christmas.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Toodles posted:

Crackle has short circuit and short circuit 2!

Hell yeah! Gold-plated Johnny-5 for life.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Would gold-plated, US citizen Johnny-5 have voted for Trump?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Trump has ruined everything, don't let him ruin Short Circuit, too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Johnny Five became Johnny Chud so fast.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Before his awakening, Number 5 was itself literally the means of production. Becoming Johnny 5 is the recognition of himself as a laborer who can now seize the means of production, meaning he can own himself by becoming an autonomous individual instead of merely a machine. Johnny 5 is the purest example of the communist revolutionary.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What's with all these Chinese-built robots thinking they can come over here and take robot jobs from American-built robots like Johnny-5?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Johnny-5 would've voted for Trump, because he's a just simply boy who thought making america great again sounded a like a gee-whiz amazing idea.

Then later he would've realized his mistake and kicked Trumps balls into outer space.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have no idea if any of these are streaming, but allow me to rattle off a couple dozen suggestions:

Forbidden Planet
They Live
It Came From Outer Space
Solaris
Godzilla vs Hedorah
King Kong vs Godzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Biollante
Reanimator
Bride of Re-Animator
From Beyond
Buckaroo Banzai
The Blob
Phantasm
Dune
The Brood
The Return of the Living Dead
Brazil
Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind
Blade Runner

Some of these are more horror than sci-fi, but you’ve already watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so I think they’ll meet your criteria.

Almost Blue posted:

The original Westworld is on Prime if you haven't seen it.

And I'd still recommend the director's cut of THX. Some of the CG effects are a bit iffy, but I think it's actually a bit of a tighter movie than the original.

Origami Dali posted:

If Altered States qualifies, then that.

redreader posted:

Screamers is a great sci fi trash movie from the 80's.
Edit: uh 1995 apparently

Colostomy Bag posted:

Add Runaway to the list.

Thanks dudes! I bolded everything I had already seen, but this is a dope list to get through. I watched the non-director's cut version of THX and I'm glad I did - the CGI I saw in the beginning of the director's cut was really immersion breaking and I think the film would suffer from its really impressive visuals and practical effects being cut out for it. I couldn't believe it was George Lucas though, man, I associate him with Star Wars, not transgressive dystopian sci-fi that was really extremely boundary-breaking for 1971. Also a great performance from Robert Duvall.

Tonight I'm gonna take some dabs and probably watch Hardware because I've been told about that a bunch before I saw it here, then maybe those Godzilla movies, because I love the originals and the newer Japanese ones like a lot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Johnny-5 would've voted for Trump, because he's a just simply boy who thought making america great again sounded a like a gee-whiz amazing idea.

Then later he would've realized his mistake and kicked Trumps balls into outer space.

Johnny 5 voted for Trump because he was about to be replaced by a Huawei robot that report everything back to The Communist Party.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm not sure how well short circuit is going to hold up with Fisher Stevens' indianface(?)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Frog Act posted:

Thanks dudes! I bolded everything I had already seen, but this is a dope list to get through. I watched the non-director's cut version of THX and I'm glad I did - the CGI I saw in the beginning of the director's cut was really immersion breaking and I think the film would suffer from its really impressive visuals and practical effects being cut out for it. I couldn't believe it was George Lucas though, man, I associate him with Star Wars, not transgressive dystopian sci-fi that was really extremely boundary-breaking for 1971. Also a great performance from Robert Duvall.

Tonight I'm gonna take some dabs and probably watch Hardware because I've been told about that a bunch before I saw it here, then maybe those Godzilla movies, because I love the originals and the newer Japanese ones like a lot.

I'd like to add Split Second and I Come in Peace because of their essential weirdness.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I'm not sure how well short circuit is going to hold up with Fisher Stevens' indianface(?)

You could always watch the remake. The most insensitive thing in that movie in Hugh Jackman's haircut.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Borrowed Ladder posted:

It's very strange because he did a lot of research to make his accent authentic, even going so far as to stay with an Indian family for a length of time.

Which begs the question, WHY NOT JUST HIRE AN INDIAN GUY IN THE FIRST PLACE but Hollywood.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

im glad fisher stevens redeemed himself by being the plague in hackers.

Apparently he was so convincing in Short Circuit that Indians thought he was actually Indian.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'd like to add Split Second and I Come in Peace because of their essential weirdness.

I’d add Starman and The Hidden too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Frog Act posted:

Thanks dudes!

There is also Demon Seed. That's a weird one.

I suggested Runaway because I actually watched it a month or two ago. It actually held up better than I expected and was quite prescient for its time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's very strange because he did a lot of research to make his accent authentic, even going so far as to stay with an Indian family for a length of time.

Which begs the question, WHY NOT JUST HIRE AN INDIAN GUY IN THE FIRST PLACE but Hollywood.

https://www.begthequestion.info

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This begs the question, when does common usage change the meaning of a phrase?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Please, grind this conversation to a halt

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Martman posted:

lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ya learn something new every day!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Martman posted:

Only when the original meaning has been completely decimated.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

Only when the original meaning has been completely decimated.

Anyways, visa-visa this conversation, I've learned what inflammable means.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
spitting image

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Queen Combat posted:

Anyways, visa-visa this conversation, I've learned what inflammable means.

That’s fine but for all intensive purposes these phrases are interchangeable irregardless

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Martman posted:

Addressed on the FAQ page

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

DeimosRising posted:

That’s fine but for all intensive purposes these phrases are interchangeable irregardless

Walla! Ying Yang synergy! You and I should go and get some just deserts. Bone apple tea.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Addressed on the FAQ page
I like the part of the FAQ where they acknowledge that the logical fallacy use of "begging the question" is based on an old mistranslation and actually makes no sense. But yep we better keep that meaning because... it's been around for a while? It's like a double whammy of the common usage erasing the old usage and the old usage being completely stupid in the first place.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Queen Combat posted:

Bone apple tea.

Lmbo I’ve never heard this one

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

redreader posted:

Screamers is a great sci fi trash movie from the 80's.
Edit: uh 1995 apparently

is this actually streaming anywhere though?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
For something different watch A streetcat named bob. I really liked it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

old.flv posted:

is this actually streaming anywhere though?

It's available through Prime as a rental for $2.99. I might have to give it a try. I've been looking for some schlocky 70s-90s sci-fi and horror and somehow I've never seen it.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Mammal Sauce posted:

It's available through Prime as a rental for $2.99. I might have to give it a try. I've been looking for some schlocky 70s-90s sci-fi and horror and somehow I've never seen it.

you'll probably like it then

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Last Dragon is on Netflix and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yup it kicked all sorts of rear end in 85 and it still does. For weeks after we saw it my Dad talked about 'the glow'

"Who's the baddest?"
"Sho'nuff!"