Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

Sorry I keep reviving this dying thread.

I need a good cry. That one episode of Re:Zero really got me and I want more of it. Bring on the sadness (tears of joy are also acceptable).

Go watch Violet Evergarden on Netflix. That show will make you cry once an episode, guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A Silent Voice is a good tear-em-up.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

One word: Orange.

a kitten posted:

Series:
Orange

This looks really good actually, thanks!

Anohana and Violet Evergarden look good too. Probably save them for later on since I cant handle too much sad all at once.

e: Oh poo poo I missed Your Name. Yeah Im gonna start with that since I never finished watching it my first attempt due to losing 2 family members the week before and already being an emotional wreck.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 11, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibblebibble posted:

A Silent Voice is a good tear-em-up.

Yeah, for movies you can't go wrong with A Silent Voice.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Julias posted:

Yeah, for movies you can't go wrong with A Silent Voice.

Oh no now I want to watch this too. :ohdear:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Sorry I keep reviving this dying thread.

I need a good cry. That one episode of Re:Zero really got me and I want more of it. Bring on the sadness (tears of joy are also acceptable).
A Place Further Than The Universe, Liz and the Blue Bird

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
In this corner of the world maybe

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

A Place Further Than The Universe, Liz and the Blue Bird

Whilst Liz was a masterpiece, I'm not sure if its brand of quiet drama is particularly tearjerking in either direction.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Knorth posted:

In this corner of the world maybe

Oooh, yeah this too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is Rahxephon worth watching?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you want Evangelion with worse direction, less interesting characters but a more immediately understandable story? If so sure.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The opening theme is a great song, the rest of it is very hit or miss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

it's a very navel-gazey show but not as hard to parse as a lot of early 2000s shows like that. its also got a pretty, idk, muted? tone. but none of the characters are especially interesting, you're mostly watching it for the central mysteries. those mysteries have definitive, in-show answers, but whether thats a plus or minus is up to you and how you prefer shows like that to be written.

imo its pretty good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Whilst Liz was a masterpiece, I'm not sure if its brand of quiet drama is particularly tearjerking in either direction.
I mean, it made me cry

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

I mean, it made me cry

Fair enough, I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StrixNebulosa posted:

The opening theme is a great song, the rest of it is very hit or miss.
When it hits though, it does hit hard.

BOY, That One Episode. That one got me good when I first watched it.

Its action can be almost on par with Evangelion at times, while its technobabble and religious or other ramblings are generally inferior. Still a good show though, and definitely has memorable episodes(the aforementioned episode 19), and the production values are quite high for a show of that era iirc. The mecha designs are really fascinating too, and the Vermillions are a great design

They're elegant, like someone draped in robes, with a great head design. Love it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 11, 2018

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Rahxephon is pretty decent to good. Not exceptional by any means, but it's not a BrainPowerd

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's one of those shows I've been vaguely aware of since it was new, and spotted a fatpack for it that I likely won't encounter again seeing as it's quite out of print, so that all sounds worth a look to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have a lot of free time. It's got some interesting stuff going on but it's very Bones and the ending is kind of off-color.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thank you to the people that recommended Your Name and A Silent Voice. Watched one last night and the other this morning. They were both exactly what I needed. :3:

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Looking for SFW anime recommendations that I can watch on Crunhyroll while I work overtime. Looking for anything old and new.

Things I've enjoyed that fit the SFW requirements:

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept
Laid-Back Camp
Land of the Lustrous
DBZ Super

Is Hunter x Hunter mostly SFW?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ross Perowned posted:

It gets kind of gory in places.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ross Perowned posted:

Looking for SFW anime recommendations that I can watch on Crunhyroll while I work overtime. Looking for anything old and new.

Laid-Back Camp
Land of the Lustrous
DBZ Super

Hunter x Hunter has some heavy violence (especially in the chimera ant arc) but I believe the worst it gets is people with holes blown through them/limbs torn off and one scene of a corpse being medically examined/experimented on, nothing too far above what you'd see in Dragon Ball Super and you never see the guts going everywhere. And when you say 'SFW' I imagine you mostly mean sex stuff, in which case there's one shower scene with an adult male character and that's about it.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Blood/gore is not too much of a problem unless it's like Made In Abyss levels. Definitely trying to avoid the sex stuff mostly.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Ross Perowned posted:

Laid-Back Camp
Land of the Lustrous
DBZ Super

Flying Witch, Chihayafuru, Place further than the Universe and Shirobako are all very good and on Crunchy

Also Polar Bear Cafe if you like very relaxed comedies mostly involving puns :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah thats fair. Hunter x Hunter's manga was really heavy on the vioence but it got toned down a fair bit in the anime, so there's some cutting around some pretty graphic imagery but you never actually see a lot of it explicitly.

In terms of anime with very minor amounts of/no sex stuff, Shirobako comes to mind. It's an office comedy about an anime studio, and the only instance of anything like that I can think of is one scene where they're animating a girl in a bath towel and all you can really see is that she's in a bath towel, the scene hasn't even been colored in yet, and the whole thing lasts like forty seconds.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s so small in the anime scheme of thing but in shirobako there’s also that great scene where the titty anime the director worked on previously devolving into horrific blobs because the production fell apart

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In the same vein, Sakura Quest pretty much has 0 sexy scenes. Haven't watched it yet but I'd assume Hanasaku Iroha is similar in that regard.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I think Aria: the Animation would fit the bill.

Not sure if it's on crunchy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

In the same vein, Sakura Quest pretty much has 0 sexy scenes. Haven't watched it yet but I'd assume Hanasaku Iroha is similar in that regard.

Iroha is great, seriously fantastic, but it has several risque scenes early on, particularly when introducing the writer character, and a number of obligatory bathing scenes throughout that would be excruciating to have to try to explain to some HR drone.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Ross Perowned posted:

Laid-Back Camp
Land of the Lustrous
DBZ Super

https://www.crunchyroll.com/kyousougiga

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I think Aria: the Animation would fit the bill.

Not sure if it's on crunchy.

I'm still seeing it but YMMV depending on where you live.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Iroha is great, seriously fantastic, but it has several risque scenes early on, particularly when introducing the writer character, and a number of obligatory bathing scenes throughout that would be excruciating to have to try to explain to some HR drone.

Yeah, I need to get around to it so that I can say that I've watched the entirety of PA Work's working life trilogy :v: I really enjoyed the other two (see avatar), so I'm betting that I'll love Iroha too.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Knorth posted:

Flying Witch, Chihayafuru, Place further than the Universe and Shirobako

Seconding these as top-tier "SFW + Crunchyroll" recs, all five are incredibly good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, I need to get around to it so that I can say that I've watched the entirety of PA Work's working life trilogy :v: I really enjoyed the other two (see avatar), so I'm betting that I'll love Iroha too.

Woah woah what’s the third? (Please not glasslip)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Iroha, Shirobako and Sakura Quest.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DamnGlitch posted:

Sakura Quest? I dropped that one pretty early on because it just felt like a worse version of Iroha mixed with a worse version of Shirobako, and just ended up re-watching Iroha instead.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I haven’t heard of Sakura quest. I’ll have to check it out. Last pa works show I checked out was about half of kuromakuro and it wasn’t hitting like iroha / shirobako

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

I haven’t heard of Sakura quest. I’ll have to check it out. Last pa works show I checked out was about half of kuromakuro and it wasn’t hitting like iroha / shirobako

It came out early 2017 or so? If you're interested in a story about rural revitalisation and the work that goes into that you'd probably enjoy it like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kuromukuro sure was a sort of fun show to watch until it stopped getting fansubbed halfway through and i completely forgot about it