Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ActionZero posted:

Statistically this is just as ridiculous an argument as the boss jumping during wildfire argument against MCH is. Even if you have a not particularly good base crit rate of 0.21 (roughly what you would have with full scaevan and nothing else) and only straight shot for crit buffs then the odds of going a full 30 seconds on a single target with 0 DoT crits are about 1/1670. Paying attention to party crit buffs for snapshotting and having a better crit set than that lowers the chances even more.

It's unlikely so it won't happen and can't feel bad.

Do you even play this game with the perfect RNG, Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ActionZero posted:

Statistically this is just as ridiculous an argument as the boss jumping during wildfire argument against MCH is. Even if you have a not particularly good base crit rate of 0.21 (roughly what you would have with full scaevan and nothing else) and only straight shot for crit buffs then the odds of going a full 30 seconds on a single target with 0 DoT crits are about 1/1670. Paying attention to party crit buffs for snapshotting and having a better crit set than that lowers the chances even more.

over 8 week's (+) on O11S we've had 5 scouting pants and no healer loot. With the small sample sizes MMO's deal with statistical averages are not very useful.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Genovera posted:

Yeah, the third one is SCH. I mostly heal, so I included both it and WHM.

I wish I could justify a unique AST glamour, but 10 plates doesn't get me very far (right now it shares with SCH). I'd really like at least 25 plates so I can have unique looks for my DoH/DoL classes too.

(it is a Dragoon joke)

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The big problem with Eureka is that it invariably involves a lot of really boring waiting. People have finally figured out that prepping an NM doesn't take many actual kills (seems to be somewhere around 30?), but they have an absurd and arcane spawn priority system and some sort of randomization thrown in to exactly when they spawn once prepped. This means you can go out and prep basically the entire map for NMs and then get nothing showing up for the next hour because you either missed one that the rest all ended up queued behind somehow or the game just decides you deserve to suffer.

Honestly it wouldn't be so bad if it took like, 10-15 minutes tops for an NM to spawn once prepped, there wasn't the weird system where they can block each other from spawning, and they had shorter respawn cooldowns so you don't get maps that have been completely emptied of spawns with the resulting quick flow of NMs. Maybe even add some weirder spawn prep conditions rather than just killing things as long as there are hints and it's not too obtuse; for variety.

Wouldn't fix the outright hostile map design in pagos, but oh well.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It takes exactly 30 kills to prep an NM.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
They added information about the Starlight Celebration and that Choir Robe is totally becoming my healer glam.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sade posted:

It takes exactly 30 kills to prep an NM.

wait so eureka is literally "kill mobs for a minute, then idle for 20 while the boss spawns"?

the target audience here was literally people with netflix backlog or what the gently caress?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

(thinking the hardest I ever have in my whole life) eureka... (my brows are knotted to an astonishing degree) is...... (waves of heat are visibly pouring off my head due to the computational load) bad

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Truga posted:

wait so eureka is literally "kill mobs for a minute, then idle for 20 while the boss spawns"?

the target audience here was literally people with netflix backlog or what the gently caress?

Most of the time its "idle for 20 minutes" since if you're still leveling you can't even contribute by killing mobs because you do no damage

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, that's what my experience was. it just turns out that that experience is actually intended now lmao

i'm glad i had a bunch of other things to do this year, jesus christ is this thing a trainwreck.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well no, the intended experience is that you chain kill eleven thousand one hundred fifty-seven level 1 mobs to reach level 2, and then chain kill fifty-five thousand six hundred forty mobs to reach level 3, and then chain kill one hundred eighty thousand...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Pyros is pretty cool.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

while i have issues with the current iteration of MCH i would honestly probably enjoy learning it more in depth if we weren't so close to 5.0 and the inevitable probable rework of the class

as is i've farted around shooting a dummy to see what the concerto wildfire is like but to me there's no real sense learning anything that complicated if it's all likely to change soon. obviously there's no confirmation that'll happen but the class is uhhhh fairly universally disliked so i'd be surprised if they aren't going to reiterate

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Truga posted:

I will say that anemos was ok back when it was new, because I had just found a cool new youtube channel which had like 50+ hours of videos that I needed to watch.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Anemos was OK to afk through.
Pagos is absolute poo poo.
Pyros is kinda fun actually as long as the NM scheduler doesn't pick Dux and Flarous and Thunder is 7 hours away.

Like really if they would just go and change Pagos to work like Pyros does things would be massively improved.

Blackbird Saga
Aug 1, 2011

Taken from World of Darkness. I only noticed because they were perpetually running out of TP. And I only noticed that because I was healing and they sure were standing in a lot of things.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
yeah the idea was that you'd chain mobs for 3 hours at a time with no stop and that would just happen to spawn NM monsters from time to time as a bonus

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Anemos was pretty alright.
Pagos was a travesty on the level of war crime.
Pyros is good.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I'm currently working through Anemos and with 2 weeks of challenge logs I'm almost level 20 and overall doesn't seem absolutely terrible. I don't know anything about the Pagos and Pyros. What makes Pagos terrible and Pyros good? I was under the impression that each zone was more or less the same with just more elemental levels to grind through.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
happy tuesday, y'all

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I try to take a screenshot of one of the dolls and this happens. :argh:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

frosteh posted:

I'm currently working through Anemos and with 2 weeks of challenge logs I'm almost level 20 and overall doesn't seem absolutely terrible. I don't know anything about the Pagos and Pyros. What makes Pagos terrible and Pyros good? I was under the impression that each zone was more or less the same with just more elemental levels to grind through.

None of them are good. :colbert:

Setting that aside, Pagos has 3 major problems that really elevate the misery levels. The first is that there are fewer nm's and they spawn incredibly slowly (and this is after this got buffed to spawn faster). The second is that the layout is terrible. The whole zone is demarcated into like, 3 sections. Therre's the South section and then the Northwest and Northeast sections. The 2 north sections are both up an unclimbable cliff that only has one entrance up which is of course clogged with level 28+ enemies and there is no alternate route around this choke point. Additionally, there are 2 or 3 nm's that involve jumping down said cliff-face to land on smallish platforms to go into cave networks, including the final boss you need drops from and if you miss this jump, there's basically no way you will make it back in time. Lastly, while there is an aetheryte in the NE and NW sections, you can't attune to them until 32 and 35 respectively, i.e. when you are done with the zone, so you will be making that loving trek up the cliff path a whole lot.

All of this combined with the longest grind of the 3 instances (though still not too terrible, 25ish hours really) and it is pretty universally hated. Especially since they botched the launch and nm's didn't give gently caress all so you had to grind trash to make any progress until they hotfixed it a week or 2 later.

Edit: Oh, Pyros is relatively good because the logos actions are kinda fun to mess around with. The nm's give crazy experience and spawn pretty fast, and you have all the aetherytes unlocked by level 42 I think.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 11, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Also, the light grind was terrible on launch and only let you start collecting light about halfway through Pagos. Not sure how it is now, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Okay so Squeenix has the absolute worst customer support.

I have a PC Download of FFXIV - Complete Edition (ARR/HW/SB) but it is NOT STEAM so I can't use it and I have no idea what to do with it. Should I sell it? I'd rather sell it here than somewhere else, but I imagine this is against the rules.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jokes posted:

Okay so Squeenix has the absolute worst customer support.

I have a PC Download of FFXIV - Complete Edition (ARR/HW/SB) but it is NOT STEAM so I can't use it and I have no idea what to do with it. Should I sell it? I'd rather sell it here than somewhere else, but I imagine this is against the rules.

Did you use a free trial on the Steam version beforehand? If so, I'd honestly recommend just registering a new service account if you're interested in playing. Level 15 doesn't take that long to hit again, especially on your second time through, and it's less of a hassle than trying to resell.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Vermain posted:

Did you use a free trial on the Steam version beforehand? If so, I'd honestly recommend just registering a new service account if you're interested in playing. Level 15 doesn't take that long to hit again, especially on your second time through, and it's less of a hassle than trying to resell.

You can get up to 35 on the free trial. I dunno exactly what jokes did though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failboattootoot posted:

None of them are good. :colbert:

Setting that aside, Pagos has 3 major problems that really elevate the misery levels. The first is that there are fewer nm's and they spawn incredibly slowly (and this is after this got buffed to spawn faster). The second is that the layout is terrible. The whole zone is demarcated into like, 3 sections. Therre's the South section and then the Northwest and Northeast sections. The 2 north sections are both up an unclimbable cliff that only has one entrance up which is of course clogged with level 28+ enemies and there is no alternate route around this choke point. Additionally, there are 2 or 3 nm's that involve jumping down said cliff-face to land on smallish platforms to go into cave networks, including the final boss you need drops from and if you miss this jump, there's basically no way you will make it back in time. Lastly, while there is an aetheryte in the NE and NW sections, you can't attune to them until 32 and 35 respectively, i.e. when you are done with the zone, so you will be making that loving trek up the cliff path a whole lot.

All of this combined with the longest grind of the 3 instances (though still not too terrible, 25ish hours really) and it is pretty universally hated. Especially since they botched the launch and nm's didn't give gently caress all so you had to grind trash to make any progress until they hotfixed it a week or 2 later.

Edit: Oh, Pyros is relatively good because the logos actions are kinda fun to mess around with. The nm's give crazy experience and spawn pretty fast, and you have all the aetherytes unlocked by level 42 I think.

Allow me to correct the wrong information in this post.

Pagos' aetherytes are level: 21 (for south), 30 (for northwest), and 32 (for northeast).

Pagos layout sucks not only because of the caves but because mainly because of the single paths to get to the northeast/northwest zones that are filled with level 32 enemies (and level 40 sleeping dragons that must be walked past).

Generally, when it comes to Pagos, my advice is (once you reach 20 in Anemos) just go to Anemos every Tuesday to knock out the weekly challenge log and then don't do anymore until the following week (unless you really hate yourself and want to spend time in Pagos familiarizing yourself with it). The weekly challenge log should get you 2.25 levels per week. Once you get to 30 or 32, spend time exclusively in Pagos. Having those Aetherytes makes all the difference.

Light farming in Pagos isn't bad at all if you abuse the wolves near the bunny fate.

A lot of the problems in Pagos stem from developer expectations vs fan reactions compounded on top of the dev cycle.

By the time Anemos was released, Pagos was already almost fully developed. They expected Anemos to be played by the more hardcore players that would focus on chaining (and just see NMs as a bonus, not the main goal), so they had doubled down on that in their Pagos design. Then with Pyros, they realized that Pagos was loving trash, so Pyros feels more an extension of Anemos than Pagos does.

Also, the Pyros aetherytes are 37/39/41 (you start at 35 there). Leveling in Pyros is fast as gently caress. If you can easily get 3-4 levels per lockout depending on your luck.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Advice for Pagos: Don't do it

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
The main issue with the mob grinding portions Eureka is that, with the exception of Pyros, where you can fill up relatively easy with all the logograms you need of certain types, the only real benefit to grinding mobs is spawning NMs in the first place, and by this point the consensus from the analysis types is that it only takes 30 kills (aka one full chain) to maximize the chances of an NM spawning.

Let's say you're trying to level up in Pagos. You even have a full group of similarly leveled people you entered with and all the aetherytes.
In between NM spawns, you could:
- Sit around and do nothing. This is incredibly low effort.
- Go out and kill stuff your level or higher as a group for low XP rewards, some light, and no crystals. This is a modest, continual effort for up to three hours at a stretch and is boring and mentally fatiguing.

Even if you want to go out and grind mobs for XP, doing it solo in Pagos is so ineffective as to be nearly entirely useless and good luck finding a full group of similarly leveled people to do it with, when sitting by the aetheryte in town is so much easier and provides such greater rewards for the effort spent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
SE forgot that old rear end grinding MMOs "worked" because you had like two buttons to press every 30 seconds instead of dozens. Even if the exp from grinding was good it'd still be dreadful because it's super easy while still requiring your focus.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

SE forgot that old rear end grinding MMOs "worked" because you had like two buttons to press every 30 seconds instead of dozens. Even if the exp from grinding was good it'd still be dreadful because it's super easy while still requiring your focus.

Yeah this is the real problem, ignoring that this is the number 1 reason mmo's now are better than they ever were. That kind of grinding is just awful when you actually have to push buttons on the regular.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah, when you had a ton of time to chat with people between button presses, the old school grinding wasn't nearly so bad because at least you were having fun conversation with good company. You could roll up to wherever with your friends and just kinda...hang out. When you think about it like that, the Anemos NM train isn't surprising at all. It's basically the same thing, lots of hanging around chatting with folks about nothing while you occasionally take an enemy to pound town.

With Pyros being good, dare I hope for an equally fun Hydratos?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Truga posted:

more like idle for potentially up to an hour (at least, it sure feels that way sometimes, dunno if anyone has worked out the PRECISE timing mechanics yet), but yes.

Failboattootoot posted:

Lastly, while there is an aetheryte in the NE and NW sections, you can't attune to them until 32 and 35 respectively, i.e. when you are done with the zone, so you will be making that loving trek up the cliff path a whole lot.

The Aetherytes are 30 and 32 if I recall correctly actually. But mounts are 35 because gently caress you, I guess.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 12, 2018

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

orcane posted:

It's unlikely so it won't happen and can't feel bad.

Do you even play this game with the perfect RNG, Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn?

Stormgale posted:

over 8 week's (+) on O11S we've had 5 scouting pants and no healer loot. With the small sample sizes MMO's deal with statistical averages are not very useful.
There is a dramatic difference between failing to HQ crafts or not getting a specific piece of loot 11 times and having 40 dot ticks every minute of uptime each with an absolute minimum of 30% chance to crit. Over a whole fight your dots tick enough that you can apply statistical averages usefully,

Having mained Bard for 3 full savage tiers now I can guarantee that these huge runs of not getting any crits just don't happen that often, yes you have periods where you don't get many procs but you're still getting some crits in each period of time and you'll usually get a song that includes an above average amount of crits in the same fight. I benefit from having a crit comp static but even then there's still a chunk of time where it's not possible for me to snapshot any party crit buffs, but having straight shot and crit gear still gives me a decent enough rate of procs on my songs.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Stormgale posted:

Be careful what you wish for, Omega inflicted that awful healer hat for... I want to say it was 4 raids in a row but it might have been 3.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Failboattootoot posted:

and if you miss this jump, there's basically no way you will make it back in time

Just in case you needed a visual representation.

Nah, I'm not still mad.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Eureka: still terrible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Diadem uh *counts on fingers* 7.0 is going to be sick you guys

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Just release FFXI Classic.

I'd unironically be more likely to play and enjoy that than eureka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

homeless snail posted:

Diadem uh *counts on fingers* 7.0 is going to be sick you guys

Maybe they'll eventually give up on trying to force players into the 'field.'

I forgot about the twist of fate stuff they added until just recently when I saw it pop by chance as I was moving by.