Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It's like Texas and wild pigs, but they're just annoying instead of harbingers of the apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Imagine murdering a sea lion and feeling all pumped up about your life choices.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Theory of Mind is a double-edged sword.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Whoa. Just killed a sea lion and I feel great! I gotta do this more often!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

It's easy when you justify it in endangered salmon lives.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's easy when you justify it in endangered salmon lives.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Sometimes you have to do something bad to prevent something worse.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Is there a study or research that plots the demise of salmon as attributable to see lions? No, there is not.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

porkface posted:

Is there a study or research that plots the demise of salmon as attributable to see lions? No, there is not.

Sounds like somebody is spending a bit too much time on logic and thoughts, and not enough imagining murdering a sea lion and feeling all pumped up about your life choices

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

porkface posted:

They harm an already fragile population of salmon. Of course they are not responsible for all of the salmon that die on the way upstream but unless we are going to start removing the dams on the Columbia and other rivers then killing sea lions that come to far inland is an easy thing we can do to help protect the runs. California sea lions like the ones in the Columbia river are not endangered or even threatened, and as warmer water pushes them north they are having a greater impact on the salmon who are endangered.

therobit fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 14, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's almost as if this is all symptomatic of some larger problem, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

therobit posted:

unless we are going to start removing the dams on the Columbia and other rivers

That is what we should do.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

That is what we should do.

If we had enough capacity of non-carbon-producing energy to offset it and a plan to resettle people living within areas that would become more flood prone when we remove the dams I would agree with you. Given where we are with climate change I am not sure it is reasonable to start removing hydroelectric dams.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

therobit posted:

They harm an already fragile population of salmon. Of course they are not responsible for all of the salmon that die on the way upstream but unless we are going to start removing the dams on the Columbia and other rivers then killing sea lions that come to far inland is an easy thing we can do to help protect the runs. California sea lions like the ones in the Columbia river are not endangered or even threatened, and as warmer water pushes them north they are having a greater impact on the salmon who are endangered.

Can you quantify the impact?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So serious question here, but what would be the harm in a legitimate hunting season or controlled culling of sea lions? If their populations are abundant to the point of becoming invasive, why is this a bad idea?

And to be certain, I'm not in support of assholes just shooting them because they feel like it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

porkface posted:

Can you quantify the impact?

On the lower columbia it's 13k salmon every spring for 100 sea lions. I don't know the whole population distribution but there are over 300k California sea lions in the wild.

therobit fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 14, 2018

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Someday sea lions will murder humans for crashing the fragile salmon population.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Relatedly, apparently we've got some out of control population of wild horses somewhere and the state's solution is to pay a thousand bucks a head to get people to adopt them rather than, I dunno, charging $50 a tag to let hunters take care of it instead. There must be some piece of data I'm missing that makes this make sense.

Solkanar512 posted:

So serious question here, but what would be the harm in a legitimate hunting season or controlled culling of sea lions? If their populations are abundant to the point of becoming invasive, why is this a bad idea?

And to be certain, I'm not in support of assholes just shooting them because they feel like it.

The opposite of them are the people whose brains cannot comprehend that controlling numbers of any wild animal can ever be useful. KILLING ANIMULZ = BAD. They're the same people who will hit a deer with their prius and call 911 like dispatch is gonna scramble a veterinary ambulance or something. These people are loud and screechy and vote.

I wish they'd let us hunt them for a while. I'd be curious to try some sea lion steaks.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Since all the sea lions are going to die once the food chain collapses from ocean acidification, I say we avoid killing them now.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Since all the sea lions are going to die once the food chain collapses from ocean acidification, I say we avoid killing them now.
Better to grant them a quick death then I'd say.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Javid posted:

Relatedly, apparently we've got some out of control population of wild horses somewhere and the state's solution is to pay a thousand bucks a head to get people to adopt them rather than, I dunno, charging $50 a tag to let hunters take care of it instead. There must be some piece of data I'm missing that makes this make sense.

People have a weird affection for horses which is why we can't eat them either.

We should shoot them and eat them.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Poor Jimmy Marr

https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2018/12/18/white-nationalist-hospitalized-after-street-fight-in-corvallis/

:getin:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

For a second i got him confused with Johnny Marr, the Smiths guitarist. I know he lives in Portland occasionally.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I wonder if it was his fellow nazis or someone else that was responsible.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
dont know how much attention you pay to little olympia in here, but the battle for space for homeless people has been heating up lately.

also, really i just wanted to post this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-wDAmxl2k

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
She sounds unwell.

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Spokane seems like its having an extremely normal one right now.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/politics/amp/Spokane-Valley-council-to-vote-on-proposal-to-13472933.php

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nah, that was just the PI getting trolled by someone and thinking it was real news.

We're stupid over here, but not THAT stupid.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Relentless posted:

Nah, that was just the PI getting trolled by someone and thinking it was real news.

One of the guys that suggested it also wants to kill gay people and all men that refuse to join his holy war. People reelected him in spite of (probably because of) this so you can't really say they are making smart decisions.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Relentless posted:

It's incredibly difficult to surpass "we re-elected Matt Shea" stupid.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Well, yes. There's a reason I don't live live in the Valley anymore.

This side of the state also re-elected freaking McMorris Rodgers, so clearly we LIKE assholes who don't care about their constituents.

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

I mean obviously it's not happening, but I could have sworn the holy war dude wasn't literally an elected official until I saw this pop up via a friend going 'what is up with your state' at me. I know it's 2018 and the world is wild but drat y'all. I wonder just how badly it would go for that theoretical state though, tax revenue's gotta be pretty low...

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Saman posted:

I mean obviously it's not happening, but I could have sworn the holy war dude wasn't literally an elected official until I saw this pop up via a friend going 'what is up with your state' at me. I know it's 2018 and the world is wild but drat y'all. I wonder just how badly it would go for that theoretical state though, tax revenue's gotta be pretty low...

There's a small subset of people want to turn the east side of the state into ghetto West Idaho for Freedom and Reasons.

Meanwhile, they won't move to Idaho because they'd have to pay income tax and pay more for health insurance.

Really, this all boils down to they don't want to have to drive 15 minutes to save 20 cents a gallon on gas.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

the answer is obviously to give the sea lions guns & let them deal with the human overpopulation

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I can’t loving believe Pat Shanahan is going to be acting SecDef. What the gently caress does that guy know about anything outside of PowerPoint charts?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I have some bad news about military officers and PowerPoint charts for you.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

therobit posted:

If we had enough capacity of non-carbon-producing energy to offset it and a plan to resettle people living within areas that would become more flood prone when we remove the dams I would agree with you. Given where we are with climate change I am not sure it is reasonable to start removing hydroelectric dams.

Hydroelectric dams create methane with anaerobic decay down at the bottom, they're not actually great for global warming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

reignonyourparade posted:

Hydroelectric dams create methane with anaerobic decay down at the bottom, they're not actually great for global warming.

This is a terrible standard to go by, and the important figure is how much damage does it do to the environment compared to other methods of energy generation. Hydroelectric is far better than nearly every other method of energy generation.