Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

jit bull transpile posted:

oh I absolutely agree that one of the causes is just laziness and a lack of foresight in these tech companies.

all I'm saying is that the response would be better when these things happen if there were actual minorities inside these companies amplifying the signal from outside. it's too easy for someone who will never experience the consequences of this poo poo to file an issue like this under nice-to-have and never implement it.

i wonder how many google employees use an adblocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rex-Goliath posted:

i wonder how many google employees use an adblocker

i use ublock origin and if i'm in the office it doesn't stop youtube ads lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

also it is a mitzvah to make a habit of surreptitiously installing ublock on every computer you are asked to "take a look at" or install a driver on or whatever.

i absolutely do this all the time. oh hey my boss bought a replacement laptop for his kid? alright sure i'll set it up *runs simple ninite, classic shell, chrome+ublock, vlc, etc* chaching

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this isn't the terrible cjs thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

this isn't the terrible cjs thread

it is now that you're here !!!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

it is now that you're here !!!

:drat:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ouch

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i checked out that mechanical keyboard subreddit one time and they make the ugliest damned keyboards ever

i use a wired apple mini keyboard, its a pre cook-era keyboard, blessed by steve himself.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don’t care about keyboards as long as they’re not ergonomic; always screws up reach and increases typos

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

all I'm saying is that the response would be better when these things happen if there were actual minorities inside these companies amplifying the signal from outside. it's too easy for someone who will never experience the consequences of this poo poo to file an issue like this under nice-to-have and never implement it.

totes agree. See also: native americans getting their names flagged as "not real" on facebook and poo poo.

For more examples of how extremely lovely tech is check out Technically wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why does the kindle version cost more than the hardcover?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ADINSX posted:

totes agree. See also: native americans getting their names flagged as "not real" on facebook and poo poo.

For more examples of how extremely lovely tech is check out Technically wrong

also many trans people have had their names forcibly reverted after coming out with Facebook refusing to fix it until they submitted id showing their preferred name. it completely escapes them that many people are from states or countries that won't let trans people change their names.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

why does the kindle version cost more than the hardcover?

weve reached the inflection point where the digital version is more desirable than the physical one

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Soricidus posted:

yeah, it's literally the same two-syllable word with formal/casual pronunciation which pretty much just changes the initial consonant

english speakers just have no idea how to pronounce either version, particularly americans who assume that 'r' is supposed to be pronounced as a consonant when in both spellings it is merely indicating that the preceding vowel is to be lengthened.

words and letters and the way we use them are super dumb

Ms. Twiggy
Sep 9, 2018

Floppy drives should be stylish and fun

also many trans people have had their names forcibly reverted after coming out with Facebook refusing to fix it until they submitted id showing their preferred name. it completely escapes them that many people are from states or countries that won't let trans people change their names.

remember when one of the trans employees at facebook responsible for the custom gender feature was allowed to use her name on her facebook badge but was locked out of her account for daring to use the same name on her public facing account?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

it is unless they use corporate outlook web access in which case it will insert hundreds of lines of filter tags into the message header that will 100% guaranteed get the message flagged by any spam filter on earth.

no idea why it does that, but it does that.

thats never once happened to me

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ms. Twiggy posted:

remember when one of the trans employees at facebook responsible for the custom gender feature was allowed to use her name on her facebook badge but was locked out of her account for daring to use the same name on her public facing account?

"As a technology, Facebook isn’t neutral. It’s actually changing the way we interact with names. Before Facebook how many of your friends’ surnames did you actually know?"

Maybe I'm the odd one out (team sports galore) and not the poster, but if they're actually a friend and not "that girl with the funny glasses who Mike knows", isn't the answer to that question more typically "all of them"?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

duz posted:

thats never once happened to me

it's an issue with the chrome and edge versions of ublock origin (but not firefox, which is published by the original dev iirc), when using OWA on exchange 2013/2016, possibly others. i've also seen some rando off-brand ad blockers do it, like adguard.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

yeah, it's literally the same two-syllable word with formal/casual pronunciation which pretty much just changes the initial consonant

english speakers just have no idea how to pronounce either version, particularly americans who assume that 'r' is supposed to be pronounced as a consonant when in both spellings it is merely indicating that the preceding vowel is to be lengthened.

americans are loving stupid and can't talk right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

James Baud posted:

"As a technology, Facebook isn’t neutral. It’s actually changing the way we interact with names. Before Facebook how many of your friends’ surnames did you actually know?"

Maybe I'm the odd one out (team sports galore) and not the poster, but if they're actually a friend and not "that girl with the funny glasses who Mike knows", isn't the answer to that question more typically "all of them"?

I’m not sure I could spell them correctly though... either way I’m not sure what their point is?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

James Baud posted:

both of them

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

oh I absolutely agree that one of the causes is just laziness and a lack of foresight in these tech companies.

i dont think anything causes high-up exec mgmt to listen to the employees, let alone the minority ones

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sweet posting armory bro

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What is the point of owning multiple keyboards when you can just own the lord's keyboard i.e. the pok3r? This person apparently has 2.

holy poo poo, it's a keyboard for vi users who refuse to acknowledge cursor keys exist

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ADINSX posted:

They don't care though, its an after thought to them, its not something anyone wants to bring up in a meeting and its probably nothing anyone will get promoted over.

anything that drives enragement is good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

incels interlinked posted:

reproductive health in fitness trackers

introducing the Fitbit Bluetooth Cockring

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

at my last job we called this problem the money printing machine, like you have a huge pysical machine that prints money but it's slow and noisy and black smoke billows out of it and it's hard to maintain but it prints actual money so if anyone tries to "improve" it a ton of people who use that money get super cagey and defensive

lol this is v accurate

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/13/18139009/apple-billion-dollar-austin-campus-us-expansion

apple is expanding in austin. they are planning a new campus that will take their headcount from 6200 to 15000. so how many years until tech companies turn austin into a mini san francisco? i checked their rail situation, and apparently they have one light rail line with eight stops. also the place looks like a town that urban sprawled itself into a major city. throw in heat that'll roast a nerd like a chook, and it seems like we're already half way there. bubble is bad, so why not make a new bubble?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wheany posted:

holy poo poo, it's a keyboard for vi users who refuse to acknowledge cursor keys exist

don't dox me!!!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Tokamak posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/13/18139009/apple-billion-dollar-austin-campus-us-expansion

apple is expanding in austin. they are planning a new campus that will take their headcount from 6200 to 15000. so how many years until tech companies turn austin into a mini san francisco? i checked their rail situation, and apparently they have one light rail line with eight stops. also the place looks like a town that urban sprawled itself into a major city. throw in heat that'll roast a nerd like a chook, and it seems like we're already half way there. bubble is bad, so why not make a new bubble?

hello and welcome to ten years ago

keep austin weird has been nostalgia for at least that long

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Texas has extremely restrictive noncompetes and NDAs so I’m curious how that’ll turn out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

someone linked me this: https://www.codota.com/

quote:

AI completions for your Java IDE
Code faster and smarter using code completions learned from millions of programs directly in IntelliJ or Android Studio

i assume that means it's a neural network trained on stackexchange answers and github garbage, gee sign me the gently caress up

i wonder if you can keep just telling it to generate code over and over and wind up with some deep dream nonsense program

e:

quote:

Search the CodeBrain

SEARCH THE CODEBRAIN

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
and then it writes documentation with a markov chain generator?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

distilled tori

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

El_Elegante posted:

distilled tori

i took this picture shortly before i met tori, yes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

El_Elegante posted:

distilled tori

a homeopathic dose

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

distilled tori

that's like what, 180 proof?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

at my last job we called this problem the money printing machine, like you have a huge pysical machine that prints money but it's slow and noisy and black smoke billows out of it and it's hard to maintain but it prints actual money so if anyone tries to "improve" it a ton of people who use that money get super cagey and defensive
i, for one, have been shocked at what still constitutes a half billion a year

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

someone linked me this: https://www.codota.com/

i assume that means it's a neural network trained on stackexchange answers and github garbage, gee sign me the gently caress up

i wonder if you can keep just telling it to generate code over and over and wind up with some deep dream nonsense program

sssh you’re gonna give away radium’s secret!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Poniard posted:

showing ads is violence

monetize the nap