Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sereri posted:

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure that's been in the app description since, like, 2011? This is the oldest I can find

Ah. I only started using it a few months ago, so I never saw it before.

Sereri posted:

If you have nova launcher you can also tell it to use legacy icons

Huh. I guess I'm not nerd enough to know how to do that. Oh well!

Edit: Apparently, my phone doesn't support that feature. Adaptive Icons is always greyed out.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kheldarn posted:

Ah. I only started using it a few months ago, so I never saw it before.

Huh. I guess I'm not nerd enough to know how to do that. Oh well!

Edit: Apparently, my phone doesn't support that feature. Adaptive Icons is always greyed out.

I believe it's a Nova Launcher Prime feature. Cough up that $5!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I believe it's a Nova Launcher Prime feature. Cough up that $5!

I did! I have Prime! My phone runs Android 6.0.1, so I guess I can't access it.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes the threadview is empty when it loads initially.

If I manually load it appears.

It didn't for this thread though :saddowns:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

I did! I have Prime! My phone runs Android 6.0.1, so I guess I can't access it.

Wherever the icon is, probably in the app drawer, long press it and select Edit.from the list that appears. In the new list, click the icon. You should have the option to change it to whatever you've selected in the app itself or, if you select the Gallery Apps option, to browse to whatever you've saved to use as an icon.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Wherever the icon is, probably in the app drawer, long press it and select Edit.from the list that appears. In the new list, click the icon. You should have the option to change it to whatever you've selected in the app itself or, if you select the Gallery Apps option, to browse to whatever you've saved to use as an icon.

Yeah, that's how I changed it to the original icon that I posted upthread. But I don't have any option for Legacy Icons.

However, I did just discover that I have to toggle on Adaptive Icons to then be able to access Adaptive Icon Style. But that's just the ugly Android Oreo crap. The only thing for Legacy is Reshape Legacy Icons, making them match the round/squircle/teardrop junk.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, that's how I changed it to the original icon that I posted upthread. But I don't have any option for Legacy Icons.

However, I did just discover that I have to toggle on Adaptive Icons to then be able to access Adaptive Icon Style. But that's just the ugly Android Oreo crap. The only thing for Legacy is Reshape Legacy Icons, making them match the round/squircle/teardrop junk.

For me it usually has the last couple icons the app used at the top of the icon selection screen but those I think are only there if you had Nova installed when the old icon was in use so that icon is cached somewhere. Even then they sometimes disappear.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
It would be great if the dark and oled theme works change the colour of the navbar to something non-white as well.
Especially for reading at night.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just updated; I used the classic theme because I don't like all the space and prefer the higher post density and contrast, and the left and right margins on posts are huge now compared to what they used to be. current look :shrug: Not a huge issue, but I miss the fuller width: left/right margin used to be about the same as top margin.

Also the app is judging me every time it starts up and it's getting personal.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 19, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm not paying $5 for some stupid launcher so I can get the real icon back!!!

Consider my request official:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bring back the frog you cowards! :argh:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
bring back the old frog, they did nothing wrong

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i am such an old i dont know what was controversial about a frog. i thought it was cute

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sometimes it doesn't let me swipe left to get back to the forums when I'm done reading a thread. I can't figure out a specific reason. I have to hit my phone's back button.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
the update is nice. only thing I've noticed is there's an extra like 5px of empty space on the right of every thread and I keep accidentally scrolling horizontally now when I'm browsing threads. haven't tested it on my phone but it happens on every thread with my Nexus 7 2013.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sometimes it doesn't let me swipe left to get back to the forums when I'm done reading a thread. I can't figure out a specific reason. I have to hit my phone's back button.

You can't swipe back while you are touch a code block. Could that be it?

Martian Manfucker posted:

the update is nice. only thing I've noticed is there's an extra like 5px of empty space on the right of every thread and I keep accidentally scrolling horizontally now when I'm browsing threads. haven't tested it on my phone but it happens on every thread with my Nexus 7 2013.

I'll take a look.

As for the frog, it's not going back. If you have nougat or older it's an updated version and if you have oreo and up you get the adaptive icon. If that's not the case your launcher is loving with the icon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sereri posted:

You can't swipe back while you are touch a code block. Could that be it?

I'll take a look.

It's weird. I don't know if it's a code block specifically. I'm actually able to swipe back now that I've used the app a bit more since the update, but it doesn't work the first time. It takes more effort to swipe back now. It doesn't work on the first try usually. A lot of times, it'll be like I'm scrolling forward when there's no more forward to scroll to.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is my app meant to process Twitter links into a thumbnail or is the technology just not there yet?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

I'll take a look.

Just for another data point, the same thing happens on my Pixel 2 XL. There seems to be a bit of play horizontaly in a thread, so when I'm scrolling the page can move left or right just a tiny bit. Not something I was going to mention, but since someone else beat me to it I figured I'd chime in.

Thanks again for the constant improvements with the app. Been my most used app for years now at this point.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

As someone who always worried that people thought I was using Gab or some poo poo, I am glad the frog is gone.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Detective No. 27 posted:

Martian Manfucker posted:

I think these are related because it's happening to me but seems to happen mostly with the Dark theme. I can scroll slightly left or right on a page and it seems to prevent me from swiping back to the forums index.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My "thread has horizontal play" feedback in on the Default theme, so I don't think it's just the dark theme.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want to express appreciation for the icon options and new splash screen.

Thank you.

(And for all the other hard work)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Do you think we could get functionality for copying the address of an image used as a link? At the moment you can only copy the link destination, which isn't always what I want.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Do you mean like if someone links to an imgur gallery you want the app to fetch the url of the image?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Also getting the horizontal thing. (POS Obamaphone issue ZTE running 7.1.1, default theme.) I was waiting for someone else to bring it up because I suck at phone gui terminology. If I've scrolled it to the left then I have to swipe right twice to go back to bookmarks from a thread. Also those blue bubble things bulge in from the sides when I don't scroll perfectly vertically.

Re: the frog, I loved it but am glad it's gone. As someone who definitely does care what people think of him, I was always worried some stranger would think it's Pepe.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 19, 2018

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
The horizontal scrolling issue doesn't happen for me with the OLED theme, if it's really bothering you and want a stopgap.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

The horizontal scrolling issue doesn't happen for me with the OLED theme, if it's really bothering you and want a stopgap.

OLED theme is the best theme.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Just logged in with the new version. Looking good so far. Nice change log. And the optimized bitcoin miner means I can unplug my phone from my backpack generator for minutes at a time!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm really happy I can send my friends catte .gifs now by just copying & pasting the link. Thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Iron Crowned posted:

OLED theme is the best theme.

Amberpos or die

Clocks posted:

I'm really happy I can send my friends catte .gifs now by just copying & pasting the link. Thanks!

:same:

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Do you mean like if someone links to an imgur gallery you want the app to fetch the url of the image?

I would imagine gallery pasting could open :can: but it would be pretty awesome.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 19, 2018

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Cool frog to meth frog to fat frog. Redemption arc for the next frog for the next major update please.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah, I see what's going on. Apparently the menu button on the post break the layout when your font size is bigger than the default 16px.

Proving once again that settings are a mistake.

Will work on a fix.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Lovin' the new icon options.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I updated and now the threads load faster and everything feels more responsive. This can't be intended. Please fix.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Ah, I see what's going on. Apparently the menu button on the post break the layout when your font size is bigger than the default 16px.

Proving once again that settings are a mistake.

Will work on a fix.

Thank you!

Y'all are the best.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The new update is phenomenal!! Lightning fast on a Pixel 3.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

other people posted:

i am such an old i dont know what was controversial about a frog. i thought it was cute

Pepe the Frog from the comic Boys' Club got adopted by Nazis as an icon so a cartoon frog on the internet is almost as bad as a swastika these days. It's dumb as hell but there you go.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Overall I like the update. One thing I've noticed is if I click into a thread from bookmarks and let my phone lock via inactivity: one my phone is unlocked, it will jump back to what was formerly the first unread post.

It's happened two or three times but usually it's when I'm not paying strict attention (hence the screen timeout)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I found the new icons, love the ghost. Thanks again guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

One suggestion: Not showing the blue drag shapes on the sides if you're already scrolling up and down. My thumbs like to go sideways while I scroll and it pulls the blue blob on screen.

Twitter does it so you only see the blue drag shape if you aren't already scrolling vertically.