Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK I could not resist because I am weak and I need more main stories in the life of Kiryu, so I started Yakuza Kiwami.

I just saw the meeting between Kiryu and Majima and oh my word it was confusing and wonderful at the same time. They seem to have a strange kind of friendship and Majima goes from happy to savage to manic with the snap of his fingers! Goodness! I think the events of Yakuza 0 really did a number on him.

However, I want to see a game where they become friends and work alongside each other because it is so obvious there is a ton of backstory there :D

Also is Shinji the guy from 0 that tried to beat me up in an alleyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

VideoGames posted:

OK I could not resist because I am weak and I need more main stories in the life of Kiryu, so I started Yakuza Kiwami.

I just saw the meeting between Kiryu and Majima and oh my word it was confusing and wonderful at the same time. They seem to have a strange kind of friendship and Majima goes from happy to savage to manic with the snap of his fingers! Goodness! I think the events of Yakuza 0 really did a number on him.

However, I want to see a game where they become friends and work alongside each other because it is so obvious there is a ton of backstory there :D

Also is Shinji the guy from 0 that tried to beat me up in an alleyway?

yes videogames! yes! join me in back to back yakuzas!!

also yes to the last question, sounds like you didnt fully complete that substory! theres a little bit extra to it if you track him down buts thats okay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I must have missed this announcement from a couple weeks ago, but The Pathless looks awesome. Getting a real Shadow of the Colossus vibe here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2uAM9ZOUdc

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

I must have missed this announcement from a couple weeks ago, but The Pathless looks awesome. Getting a real Shadow of the Colossus vibe here.

That looks really cool.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh wow. Kiryu is the best. Just the absolute best.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
For some reason, Yak1 and 2 felt more like period pieces to me than 0. Like, you have disco and stuff in 0 but when they're talking about lovely cellphones or 14.4Kb/s modems in Kiwami I was just "gently caress, no, go back, go back!"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VideoGames posted:

Oh wow. Kiryu is the best. Just the absolute best.

He's certainly not the best at being smart

Also I recommend playing yk1 on easy at least until after the first big boss fight

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is not going the way I expected and I am getting a little sad!! What on earth??

(Also I play all games on easy :D but thank you for the tip!)

I am also missing the mad amounts of cash floating around everywhere!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

VideoGames posted:

This is not going the way I expected and I am getting a little sad!! What on earth??

These are the events I whined at people to shut up about spoiling.

Hold on VG. Its gonna be emotional. Also majima is everywhere. Spoiler.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

loving hell don’t make me want to boot up Kiwami this soon! :argh:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
you can't stay in the 80's forever, davis!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Morpheus posted:

Detroit is really a mixed bag. I enjoyed everything about the game that wasn't a hamfisted analogy to the civil rights movement - everything involving the buddy cop drama was awesome, most of Kara's stuff was cool, everything involving Markus was dumb the way it was written.

Also the one thing that boggles my mind is how much people absolutely hate androids in this world. Like, just general, absolute hatred. In today's world there are people that personify electronic devices that talk that don't even appear human, the idea that society would as a whole turn against these things is crazy. Sure, there'd be people that hate them and such, especially if they lost jobs, but like there's a woman who is beating her android when he carries her stuff, because he falls or something (something like that in the intro). Ridiculous.

Oh also, it's kind of weird how people are portrayed as villainous in some of the scenes. Like the aforementioned lady beating her android. She's obviously supposed to look like a piece of poo poo to us, because we have the overall context of what the game is about. But to her, it's...well, a thing. It's like if you had a malfunctioning shopping cart, you'd get angry at it and smack it around maybe because gently caress it, it's a cart. Sure, we as players know that androids are more than that, but in the broad social context of the game's world, they're not. They're simply things that are built and bought. But the portrayal of these people who abuse androids is always like they're sinister assholes who know no joy.

The civil rights stuff was sort of cringey, the part where Markus tags a window and one of the options was "We have a dream" made my eyes roll back so hard.

The whole time I'm playing this though I have a really hard time sympathizing with Markus and his cause in particular. There's a part where Markus is getting ready to free some androids from an android shop, and he says something along the lines of "Look at them in there, just waiting to be bought like a product". I'm thinking to myself "uh, yeah, cause that's what you are and what you were created for". I try to wrap my mind around the idea of consciousness and what makes something a living thing deserving of rights. Of course any and all humans fit into this category, but if your phone suddenly demanded freedom and rights, what would happen?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

VideoGames posted:

Y0, YK1 and YK2/Y6 have 3 completely different experience systems, and I have to say I like Y0s version the best. There was just something extremely satisfying about literally beating the cash out of people. I get that its mainly a thematic thing (with the bubble economy in Y0), but drat I missed it moving to Kiwami. I dont remember how YKs experience system worked exactly, but I do remember its my least favourite of the three.

Kilometers Davis posted:

loving hell don’t make me want to boot up Kiwami this soon! :argh:

Do it, otherwise you're going to have to avoid reading so many spoilered posts by Videogames! You know you want to...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ahhhhhhh

Vikar Jerome posted:

you can't stay in the 80's forever, davis!

I haven’t even seen all of the good content! Maybe that doesn’t matter as much as I like to think though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I like the new Dragon Engine EXP system because it rewards you for exploring all the different content. So you get THIS kind of EXP for playing these games but doing THIS kind of combat gets you that kind. Yakuza 0's kind of gets busted once Mr. Shakedown enters things and you can crush those ability boards in a day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Policenaut posted:

I like the new Dragon Engine EXP system because it rewards you for exploring all the different content. So you get THIS kind of EXP for playing these games but doing THIS kind of combat gets you that kind. Yakuza 0's kind of gets busted once Mr. Shakedown enters things and you can crush those ability boards in a day.

I'd argue Y0's system would be busted without Mr. Shakedown. I can't imagine the insane grind that would be needed to get all abilities if you couldn't farm Mr. Shakedown. Maybe if the cash automatically flowed in from real estate and didn't require going back to the office to collect every five minutes.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh my heavens. This story is absolutely a shock coming right off Yakuza 0.

However I am very glad I went the 0 - 1 route even if 1 was made first. I think it is giving me more of an appreciation for who people are!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just idle in the office while you do something else and get your money rewards every few minutes or so. that's how I did it. it'd be much better if you didn't have to exit the real estate menu for time to pass tho

Policenaut posted:

actually you'll find that it rewards you for making all of the restaurants in kamurocho filthy rich. eating is such an easy and fast source of exp

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I'd argue Y0's system would be busted without Mr. Shakedown. I can't imagine the insane grind that would be needed to get all abilities if you couldn't farm Mr. Shakedown. Maybe if the cash automatically flowed in from real estate and didn't require going back to the office to collect every five minutes.

I literally just left the game on while doing other stuff and came back every few mins haha. Or would do a substory or two and then go back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Manatee Cannon posted:

just idle in the office while you do something else

Escobarbarian posted:

I literally just left the game on while doing other stuff

This is what I mean when I say the system would be busted (moreso) without clowning on Mr. Shakedown. The best way to earn high-level skills is to not even play the game?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think you understand how bad I was at killing Mr. Shakedown

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think you understand how bad I was at killing Mr. Shakedown

I barely scraped by beating him for the trophy. I avoided him at all costs after that. I'm not very good at Yakuza combat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna post me fighting Mr. Shakedown now because I still don't get how people can be struggling with him that much considering how often Bloodborne and Dark Souls keeps coming up ITT. I mean, you've gotta keep up with the attack boosts because it's a nightmare if you don't but still.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

VideoGames posted:

Oh my heavens. This story is absolutely a shock coming right off Yakuza 0.

However I am very glad I went the 0 - 1 route even if 1 was made first. I think it is giving me more of an appreciation for who people are!

And 1000s of ravenous "PLAY ZERO FIRST" posts will make sense to you now

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

wheres beep grandpa, he broke mr. shakedown into billions and billions of yen with video proof, it was incredible to watch and even better to learn from.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
More Heavy Rain!

1 - I really enjoy that during the sequences in the mall/station Ethan has such a sing-song, not-at-all-stressed way of calling his missing child/dead.. Really matches the atmosphere they're going for.

2 - Blake is comically over the top. Choice favorites:
Scene 1
:cop: - "I've done an investigation and reviewed the facts, here is what I found"
:argh: - "YOU FUCKIN rear end in a top hat I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS"

Scene 2
:catholic: - "I've been out praying and just walked into my house to find two cops have broken in and boy am i surprised, what's going on?"
:argh: - "I'LL KILL YOU YOU FUCKIN WEIRDO"

Scene 3
:eng101: - "I'm afraid I can't help you, Ethan is my patient and I can't divulge what he's shared."
:argh: - "YOU FUCKIN EGGHEAD I'LL BEAT YOUR SECRETS OUTTA YA"

A rights violatin, witness abusin cop? 2real4me.

3 - I generally like Shelby but can we talk about his extremely poor lack of judgement with respect to the suicidal mom? He kicks the door in, tends this unwell woman's wounds, then in a cheery chipper way is like, "You'll be alright! You don't want an ambulance or professional help? Sounds totally fine, no problem, you take care of yourself now that I've cured your suicide!" The woman clearly needs serious help and the baby is at risk until she gets it! See something say something SHELBY!!!!

4 - Why isn't this just a movie? In Until Dawn, most of the button presses were more like timed event type stuff; picking up/putting down was limited to collectibles or clues. This nonsense of "hold four buttons, twirl a joystick and jerk your controller off" to slowly pick up a pill bottle is tedious as poo poo and only serves to pad, pad, pad this out. Related, Madison (in the first motel sequence) really couldn't pick up medicine and disinfectant at the same time, knowing she would need to use both? Lord. Also I got stuck in the plant shaft because the game wouldn't register that I wanted to crawl LEFT not TURN AROUND FIFTY FIVE BILLION TIMES GOD DAMMIT gently caress

5 - CHICKENS IN THE CHASE SCENE :bernget20:

6 - So like, was the gps just charged in the car for 2 solid years or did the killer go put it there recently and if so why isn't that a good lead to maybe report to the police

7 - In fact why isn't Ethan taking this partially completed address to the police in the first place? Number Number BLANK BLANK ROOSEVELT can't possibly be that hard to narrow down??? And if the killer is regularly updating these traps/trials like above, surely the cops would want to like, check for evidence?

8 - After trials 2 and 3 I can safely say this game is basically just Saw, right down to the clue being there all along in trials 1 and 3 if he'd stopped to look around first.

9 - The music in this game is frequently mixed more loud than the dialogue and it is loving hilarious to have someone tearfully pleading with the police inaudibly while SCARY DRAMA MUSIC rages above it all.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 20, 2018

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

More Heavy Rain!

8 - After trials 2 and 3 I can safely say this game is basically just Saw, right down to the clue being there all along in trials 1 and 3 if he'd stopped to look around first.

Heavy rain is pretty bad, friend.
There is no gameplay, because Quantic Dream dont do that. And all the games are just mish mashed plots from the most recent films David Caged liked. But do keep posting your impressions, its fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

So did the Japanese middle class ca. 1992 :v:

Edit: A reminder that Yakuza is one of the best Christmas game series
https://twitter.com/KikoRecon/status/1075416250220634113

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 20, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Manatee Cannon posted:

I hated both ds3 dlc's. the bosses sucked

The bosses owned.

Champion's Gravetender is one of my favorite battles in the entire series.

Manatee Cannon posted:

friede is like the worst boss in the series

Holy cow what a bad post.

Veib posted:

I like Friede and I really like Gael, but Midir sucks rear end and is the only boss in the game I didn't beat on NG+ because he's so loving tedious.

Yeah, I'm not going to sit here and defend Midir as an essential experience since it's obvious that he was made to be an optional challenge, but Gael is an amazing fight. Demon Prince is neither here nor there for me.

Steve Yun posted:

Bounced off Celeste for a couple weeks, came back and finished the first Chase with Badeline. Not only was the music great but I loved how it faded away as I got away from her.

Game is great but I gotta take it in small doses. This might be a while.

Edit: WOW.

That level really, REALLY managed to poke something sad deep inside me. :sigh:

MHW was my goty but Celeste was my favorite 'story' of the year by a landslide.

exquisite tea posted:

Wow. Nice find!

This looks extremely my poo poo. Running fast, falling high, steady bowin'

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Whew. That Shimano fight took me twenty minutes. That was so tough. Also what on earth is happening?? I am engrossed again!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Only loosely PS4 related, but I just want to bitch. Seriously how the gently caress does Gamestop stay in business? It has to be straight up the worst major store in existence. I can't remember the last time I went there where it wasn't a miserable experience. Luckily I don't shop there almost ever anymore.

I went in to grab those headphones and the first thing I find is that they are $20 more than was listed online. So I go, "oh hey these are supposed to be cheaper" just to have multiple staff insist that they don't have to honor prices that are on their own online store. They insisted it must be an "online only" price even though there was nothing at all on their own site stating that. I point out that I literally used the site to hold them at that store, at that price, and it was hosed up that they'd let me drive out there and not honor it, and they still refused. Eventually one of them actually thinks to scan it and oh hey, it was the price I claimed all along. They just forgot to change the price tag.

Then they get super insistent about me buying their Gamestop warranty, which I very briefly considered after my recent luck with headphones. Until I find out it's a 1 year warranty they are selling. Not one year past the warranty, but a 1 year warranty. Same as the manufacturer. I asked why on earth I would buy a 1 year warranty when it comes with one and they said "It's only a 60 day warranty and Turtle beach is making their headphones out of this new oil based plastic (I poo poo you not) and they will probably break almost immediately" so I ask if what they are saying is that I shouldn't buy this headset at all then if they are so bad ( I know this isn't true they are on every "best of" list on every tech site) to which they replied "no you should buy them, you just need to buy a gamestop warranty with them or you will regret it" I obviously decline, crack the box open and lo and behold. 1 year manufacturer warranty.

I swear to god this is basically the same experience I have every time I make the poor choice to go into a gamestop. it's seriously like, the worst place lol. Rant over.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh my heavens I have just run into Pocket Circuit Fighter and I am absolutely beaming! 17 years! Good grief! Is this something that was in the original and you just had to assume there was a past or is it brand new to Kiwami?

Chapter 5 already. I am playing this way quicker than 0!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
About to be a huge Kojima announcement in 5 minutes on this account

https://twitter.com/archillect/status/1075533755819982849?s=21

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Holy cow what a bad post.

thanks for your input

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Only loosely PS4 related, but I just want to bitch. Seriously how the gently caress does Gamestop stay in business? It has to be straight up the worst major store in existence. I can't remember the last time I went there where it wasn't a miserable experience. Luckily I don't shop there almost ever anymore.

I went in to grab those headphones and the first thing I find is that they are $20 more than was listed online. So I go, "oh hey these are supposed to be cheaper" just to have multiple staff insist that they don't have to honor prices that are on their own online store. They insisted it must be an "online only" price even though there was nothing at all on their own site stating that. I point out that I literally used the site to hold them at that store, at that price, and it was hosed up that they'd let me drive out there and not honor it, and they still refused. Eventually one of them actually thinks to scan it and oh hey, it was the price I claimed all along. They just forgot to change the price tag.

Then they get super insistent about me buying their Gamestop warranty, which I very briefly considered after my recent luck with headphones. Until I find out it's a 1 year warranty they are selling. Not one year past the warranty, but a 1 year warranty. Same as the manufacturer. I asked why on earth I would buy a 1 year warranty when it comes with one and they said "It's only a 60 day warranty and Turtle beach is making their headphones out of this new oil based plastic (I poo poo you not) and they will probably break almost immediately" so I ask if what they are saying is that I shouldn't buy this headset at all then if they are so bad ( I know this isn't true they are on every "best of" list on every tech site) to which they replied "no you should buy them, you just need to buy a gamestop warranty with them or you will regret it" I obviously decline, crack the box open and lo and behold. 1 year manufacturer warranty.

I swear to god this is basically the same experience I have every time I make the poor choice to go into a gamestop. it's seriously like, the worst place lol. Rant over.

Gamestop stores are seriously hit or miss, and I suspect it's because like most hypercorporate spaces they treat their employees like utter poo poo. That being said, after like a 10 year intentional hiatus I bought something at a GS this year and it was a fine experience. If GS goes belly up then I wonder what will happen to the physical games market, because GS was originally the one who ate up all the smaller, better shops.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

Oh my heavens I have just run into Pocket Circuit Fighter and I am absolutely beaming! 17 years! Good grief! Is this something that was in the original and you just had to assume there was a past or is it brand new to Kiwami?

Chapter 5 already. I am playing this way quicker than 0!
Brand new. He appears in 6 also for maximum feels

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Over There posted:

About to be a huge Kojima announcement in 5 minutes on this account

https://twitter.com/archillect/status/1075533755819982849?s=21

What the hell is Kojima doing now

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

What the hell is Kojima doing now

There's some code. People are trying to decider it

Probably says something about Ovaltine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gamestop stores are seriously hit or miss, and I suspect it's because like most hypercorporate spaces they treat their employees like utter poo poo. That being said, after like a 10 year intentional hiatus I bought something at a GS this year and it was a fine experience. If GS goes belly up then I wonder what will happen to the physical games market, because GS was originally the one who ate up all the smaller, better shops.

I would avoid GameStop Prestige locations. I learned about them recently. They tried to sell me way too much extra poo poo.