Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Most Atelier didn't actually have romance (or relatively little) it just has fans shipping

Just quoting this for posterity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Zaveid is my spirit animal

eizen's voice actor is my spirit animal

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tales of Woe posted:

thread favorite Tales of Berseria has no romance in it
I haven't played much Tales. Just some Symphonia and Abyss, which both definitely had romantic subplots.

cheetah7071 posted:

Most Atelier didn't actually have romance (or relatively little) it just has fans shipping
And the only "Atelier" game I've played was Mana Khemia, which had the catgirl who was dating every boy in Alchemist School except the protagonist, up until he had to save her from a crowd of boyfriends.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I asked in the Android gaming thread, but figured I'd ask here. Are there any good offline RPGs other than the square-enix ones for Android phones? Gonna be riding shotgun on a long car trip with spotty reception.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't played much Tales. Just some Symphonia and Abyss, which both definitely had romantic subplots.

And the only "Atelier" game I've played was Mana Khemia, which had the catgirl who was dating every boy in Alchemist School except the protagonist, up until he had to save her from a crowd of boyfriends.

Sounds like she rules

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
can confirm that lydie and sue are those two girls in your friend circle shipping everyone else therein with each other

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, most of them do. The latest two, Zestiria and Berseria, don't though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like the fact that I had to go back eight years to the release of a DS game to find the most recent plot-focused game I could remember that didn't include a romance for the main character somewhat justifies my point. I mean, I guess most puzzle games don't have romances? Don't quote me on that, though. And I suppose Kirby's never had a canon romance...

I'm fine with optional romances, though. In Persona and Bioware games, I never date anyone.

There's a fuckton I can think of? Like most games do not have romantic subplots.

Even in the realm of story heavy RPGs I've played the following ones in the last few years that had no romantic subplots for the main character, optional or otherwise; Nioh, the new God of War, Pillars of Eternity, Digimon: Cyber Sleuth, all the Pokemon games, Ni No Kuni, Super Robot Wars V, Bloodborne, Divinity Original Sin 1+2, XCOM 2, Far Cry: Primal, Mario x Rabbids, Dragon Quest 9, Etrian Odyssey 5...

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
forgetting about threia is honestly a crime

there's nothing wrong with games with or without romance and nobody thinks atelier is a dating sim if they've played it

everybody would probably prefer better romance writing but that doesn't necessarily mean there has to be only one canon option. some of the different pairings in games that let you do multiple are quite nice really

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
also you know nobody takes it super seriously when someone posts about batman and superman being gay so i'm not sure why "these characters have subtext that you can read as relationship-y" is taken as "the wimmenfolk have gone mad with their crazy detective walls" and not just pleasant banter

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can definitely bone people in Divinity: Original Sin 2, quite literally if you roll an Undead character!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zore posted:

XCOM 2

Bad example

e: nsfw

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Zore posted:

There's a fuckton I can think of? Like most games do not have romantic subplots.

Even in the realm of story heavy RPGs I've played the following ones in the last few years that had no romantic subplots for the main character, optional or otherwise; Nioh, the new God of War, Pillars of Eternity, Digimon: Cyber Sleuth, all the Pokemon games, Ni No Kuni, Super Robot Wars V, Bloodborne, Divinity Original Sin 1+2, XCOM 2, Far Cry: Primal, Mario x Rabbids, Dragon Quest 9, Etrian Odyssey 5...

Imo Nioh writers just kinda forgot what they were writing because William and Okatsu had at least couple scenes that implied romantic interest but never went anywhere

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I asked in the Android gaming thread, but figured I'd ask here. Are there any good offline RPGs other than the square-enix ones for Android phones? Gonna be riding shotgun on a long car trip with spotty reception.

Egglia, I guess.

I say "I guess" because I don't ever end up playing phone games even when I'm interested, but it's a game made by ex-Legend of Mana people that basically looks like Legend of Mana, except they replaced areas and combat with some board game thing. It used to have online components but that got taken down so they released an offline version and also it's just a one time purchase deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I think Lunar Silver Star Story may have come out for Android (definitely iPhone) but cant confirm.

Sadly outside of that there are some really shoddy srpgs you can get, some no budget rpgs that i dont think anyones ever played, and the Knights of Pen and Paper games. Youre honestly better off buying a switch or DS.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Tales of Zestria and Berseria are both on sale for PS4 at $15 each. Never played a Tales game. Which would I be better off starting with?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Penguin Patrol posted:

Tales of Zestria and Berseria are both on sale for PS4 at $15 each. Never played a Tales game. Which would I be better off starting with?

Berseria. Only play Zestiria if someone is paying you to do so.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Penguin Patrol posted:

Berseria rules and Zestiria apparently sucks so

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do not play Zestiria even if someone is paying you to do so

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Skwirl posted:

Looks like Sega is porting a bunch of their back catalogue to Android, which means games like Shining Force, Phantasy Star 2, and Beyond Oasis.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing Beyond Oasis on a touch screen sounds like torture

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

Or if the message of kill anyone who is slightly impure resonates with you Zesteria will get you there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Andrast posted:

I would totally play Zestiria if someone paid me to do it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played Zesteria even when no one was paying me....

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I played Zesteria even when no one was paying me....

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing Beyond Oasis on a touch screen sounds like torture
It seems like the Sega ports support Bluetooth controllers (or at least Shining Force Classic did when I checked the game description), so if you have a controller for any game console from the last two generations, you probably don't have to play it on touchscreen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wasn't even the worst RPG I played in 2015

E: actually maybe it was everything else I thought was worse was 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Penguin Patrol posted:

zestiria sucks and berseria is really good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dont Play Zestiria, Ever

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Missed a task on E&L. Crap. That’s gonna haunt me for the rest of the game but eh I wasn’t aiming for 100% anyway. I wish I was playing this in English because my eyes tend to glaze over when I try to read all the different effects and bonuses and I’m probably not using all the stuff I could be during alchemy.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for making that so easy, excited to jump into Berseria!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Getsuya posted:

Missed a task on E&L. Crap. That’s gonna haunt me for the rest of the game but eh I wasn’t aiming for 100% anyway. I wish I was playing this in English because my eyes tend to glaze over when I try to read all the different effects and bonuses and I’m probably not using all the stuff I could be during alchemy.

Don't worry the postgame tasks are all massive chores so freeing yourself from wanting to do them is a benefit

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Friends don't let friends play Zesteria

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

...why aren't you playing it in english then?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
koei tecmo's localization work is spotty and it's good to stay brushed up on japanese

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

...why aren't you playing it in english then?

I bought it out of the bargain bin in Japan. It was sort of an impulse buy and now I don’t feel quite invested enough to buy it again in English. I’ll probably get Ayesha in English whenever I get around to that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hi. Appreciating the thought of characters being in love isn't usually what draws me to media, but for those who (for various reasons) do derive joy from this mode of reading, I'm glad that there are video games that satisfy that goal.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Berseria is the best videogame adaptation of Berserk that exists

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Heads up, Digimon Cyber Sleuth looks like it's getting delisted from PSN right now. Dunno if it's just US or all regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hello RPG thread, am I seriously going to buy five Nep games for $15? Please understand I have no shame and love anime so are the mainline games actually decent?